Drawn By Pain: Episode Two

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Episode Two

Many years later, Emily Waters has grown up, but what kind of monster has she herself gown into? Part 2 of 12 shows that some dreams are not made of candy.

mmmm interesting, kind of cheesy though? her costume was a bit.. iffy but the sword bit was pretty cool.

Hey hey, better then the first episode by far. I like it.

But the ending was rather drawn out.

Liked it a lot better than the previous one, but that is to be expected now the plot is really rolling. It still retains a great dark theme to it, but now I can actually take the issues somewhat seriously. I'm intrigued to see what direction the story will take, mind.

Mild criticism: The introduction movie is somewhat long for a 10-minute production.

Is she just channeling Dexter?

I mean...she entices a guy, cockslaps him, and then when he gets nasty, she slays him?

Jeez...

sammyfreak:

Pun intended? ;-)

Just as weird as the first episode.

I think I'll give this a miss in future - 10 minutes plus 10 minutes commentary is just 'too much' - and the T-shirt advert is a bit 'drastic'.

And I still can't see the point of this being on the Escapist? - oh well, to each his own.

Echolocating:

sammyfreak:

Pun intended? ;-)

No hablo ingles, muy bien por favor.

This was soaked in cheese. Cmon the whole "whip it out" Is she some kind of Dexter-ish female? I thought this series was gonna be good i may have been wrong :(

Melaisis:
Liked it a lot better than the previous one, but that is to be expected now the plot is really rolling. It still retains a great dark theme to it, but now I can actually take the issues somewhat seriously. I'm intrigued to see what direction the story will take, mind.

Mild criticism: The introduction movie is somewhat long for a 10-minute production.

Thx Melaisis! The story gets darker and darker as it goes and will be glad to hear your thoughts as you go. As for the intro - I also feel it is a tad long, but being an episodic I wanted to make sure anyone coming in on a random episode had a sense of what they were in store for. A necessary evil I suppose.

-Jes :)

Xwii360:
This was soaked in cheese. Cmon the whole "whip it out" Is she some kind of Dexter-ish female? I thought this series was gonna be good i may have been wrong :(

All things - behaviors attitudes, etc become clear over time. I don't much like making things that spell everything out from the inset and you will find if you continue to watch that all things do not stay the same as they go.

Either way - thx for taking the time :)

-Jes

sammyfreak:

Thx Sammy!

As for the ending - the importance of the young girl on her psyche is very key and I felt needed the time.

-Jes

the_geordie:
Just as weird as the first episode.

I think I'll give this a miss in future - 10 minutes plus 10 minutes commentary is just 'too much' - and the T-shirt advert is a bit 'drastic'.

And I still can't see the point of this being on the Escapist? - oh well, to each his own.

Hey Geordie - I can promise you the series gets even weirder than this :)

As for t-shirts - many people have asked for them - so we make them available.

Thx for taking a look,

Jes

It was ok. I liked the first one better.

Innocence is lost
Pain follows
only anger can damper
true happiness is found

still needs vampires!

Flangle:
mmmm interesting, kind of cheesy though? her costume was a bit.. iffy but the sword bit was pretty cool.

I shall have to call the fashion police :P

Thx for the sword comment - there are many more powers and animated nightmares on the way.

Dante_Alucard:
It was ok. I liked the first one better.

Innocence is lost
Pain follows
only anger can damper
true happiness is found

still needs vampires!

lol :)

Seriously bad ass psionic weaponry going on there ... the way she baited herself - though that guy did seriously push his luck to the breaking point - she is coming off kinda psychopath more than avenging angel, she already got the righteous payback on the abusive father figure, now it seems like she is doing it just for the kicks, so she doesn't feel like a "drone in the hive". Sick.

This one did move better than the first though, found it entertaining, thank you.

CanadianWolverine:
Seriously bad ass psionic weaponry going on there ... the way she baited herself - though that guy did seriously push his luck to the breaking point - she is coming off kinda psychopath more than avenging angel, she already got the righteous payback on the abusive father figure, now it seems like she is doing it just for the kicks, so she doesn't feel like a "drone in the hive". Sick.

This one did move better than the first though, found it entertaining, thank you.

Very welcome :)

I basically went and ruined this series by watching eleven episodes in one go...and...seriously folks: I don't think this series is meant to be watched like that. So, while you can google the site very easily (comes up as the first hit), I recommend watching no more than one episode per' week.

Why? It's heavy stuff, and if you watch it all in one go you'll probably end up like me: dulled by all the pain and frustrated by the ensuing character development. Of course, you could end up like me no matter what you do, but I'm thinking one episode per' week is a better approach.

* sigh *

Overall opinion: it's okay. Not bad, but not great either. It grinds on the same issues from start to finish, and really: what more could you expect? It's probably the heavy grinding on the issues on hand that leaves me emotionally exhausted; the other thing that bothers me is the lack of originality in terms of story arch. Acting swings from 'meh' to good, but the overall story arch is what eventually killed this thing for me.

To me DBP feels like a gimmick film: you got this cool artsy thing, but take that away and it's not very deep. In the beginning it prods on a couple of nerves. Then it breaks out a mallet and delivers a real beating on those same nerves. By the end of the 11th episode those same nerves were pretty much fried, which is why this isn't a great review...

I feel exhausted and frustrated more than anything else, so I'm going to say: good effort, but no great follow through.

While the first episode was a direct ripoff of an old mediocre episode from that renewed 4th Dimensions series from the 90's, with the only difference being that the kid summoned to reality a barbarian hero from his favorite comics, while here, we have a blue-girly anime thing with a lousy cell shading and that awful spiky haircut, this second episode seems to go down another route entirely, one that is literally absurd and embarassing, and reminds me of those bitchy female cops tarting up to catch men who would be too foolish to think with their balls for a few minutes, while as everybody knows, men think about sex 8 times a day... duh.
Governmental hypocrisy ahoy!

You should stick with the young girl, less butts, boobs and cheese.

Telperion:
I basically went and ruined this series by watching eleven episodes in one go

Thanks for taking a look T,

Glad to hear you went through most of them - ep12 will resolve some of what you are feeling - but alas that is way down the road for the folks here.

Arbre:
While the first episode was a direct ripoff of an old mediocre episode from that renewed 4th Dimensions series from the 90's....

You should stick with the young girl, less butts, boobs and cheese.

Never seen the 4th dimension so can't really comment.

The act of the older girl is meant to be forced as she plays a game of cat and mouse with her prey. As for where it goes from here - it's stays very true to it's roots in my opinion.

Thanks for taking a look :)

-Jes

CanadianWolverine:

Thank you sir :)

What was that whole thing about? I was too busy staring at her epic rack

=P

Alpha001:
What was that whole thing about? I was too busy staring at her epic rack

=P

double lol

supress your urge for boobies for 10 minutes and watch again

Hm, kind of boring imo. It was 10 minutes, could have easily been done in 4,5 minutes instead. The shots and camera angles were good, lighting as well. The story's just, not that interesting. For a show that's suppose to mix anime with real time footage, there's not much in the form of anime action in there. So she somewhat slays an ignorant horny latino guy with a tiny knife using huge swordswings that could have easily been avoided? Make us hate the villain, let us see a normal girl ( without a modern xena outfit ) turn into a vicious killing machine that's fast..lethal. You get the picture, I love the concept of this show but the execution still needs some work pacing/storywise :)
There are alot of really good deadly female characters to be found in manga's, try using them as inspiration :)

i wasnt to sure wen i saw the first episode but i liked this one and will definatley watch future videos!!!

wered u get the idea for the series from?

DGKT93:
wered u get the idea for the series from?

Hmmmm....It's a long answer - the short one is - had the original idea about the little girl who's powers come to life to defend her about 9 years ago, but decided when I started dbp that I was more interested in who that little girl would become once she had grown up. Would she be ok? Would she be a good person? All those questions kind of unfolded the story you are now starting to see.

-Jes

cool, really enjoyin the series so far! lookin forward to the next episode :)

It's not really 'Must watch' material and I've lost interest now that the drama of childhood is gone. It's like she has no motivation for anything and comes out being an incredibly shallow (I would say 2D, but the pun would eat my brain) character which is the opposite of what you've tried to achieve I guess.

Also I fail to see the relevance of this being on a games magazine site. ZP does reviews, De-Rez Makes fun of The gaming industry in general, VGT is... Trying, Unforgotten Realms is about D&D and DBP is about a messed up 20 something woman who is Schizophrenic only when she has pushed people to the edge and they finally attack her. Spot the odd one out.

Thanks, but no thanks

Logie--bear:
It's not really 'Must watch' material and I've lost interest now that the drama of childhood is gone. It's like she has no motivation for anything and comes out being an incredibly shallow.

Logie,

The childhood story is not gone by any means and her shallowness is completly intentional (as she is damaged and guarded goods). The story/character arc is one of feature length and not told in a single episode (as there wouldn't be any more to tell). I appreciate you taking a look of course - I feel sad that your judgment is based around a snapshot of the story as a whole, but appreciate you taking a look nonetheless.

-Jes

I started to watch the video because it seemed kinda neat with the drawings and stuff then I started to skip along then I got near the end and found some spanish guy following an emo whore? I was like ok thats fine I guess then they started to fight...wtf? I know you probably tried your best but it honestly looked like crap. So I seen there were a few comments and I wanted to see what people had to say and as I started scrolling further and further down the list no one actually said it looks like total piss. So the further I scrolled down I got more and more pissed so I actually made an account and started typing this fun little comment. If your going to make a video and not try then don't put it online, just keep it and show it to your friends cause there won't be people like me to make fun of it. And if you did try your best maybe you should find another hobby. I made a few videos of games and I tried and most of them came out to be very well. Anyways I just wanted to comment and let you know I thought your video was horrible and maybe better luck next time.

Explain to me how this kind of feedback is valuable or appropriate? Actually, explain to me offline, because you've been banned. /mod.

Demon4231:
I started to watch the video because it seemed kinda neat with the drawings and stuff then I started to skip along then I got near the end and found some spanish guy following an emo whore? I was like ok thats fine I guess then they started to fight...wtf? I know you probably tried your best but it honestly looked like crap. So I seen there were a few comments and I wanted to see what people had to say and as I started scrolling further and further down the list no one actually said it looks like total piss. So the further I scrolled down I got more and more pissed so I actually made an account and started typing this fun little comment. If your going to make a video and not try then don't put it online, just keep it and show it to your friends cause there won't be people like me to make fun of it. And if you did try your best maybe you should find another hobby. I made a few videos of games and I tried and most of them came out to be very well. Anyways I just wanted to comment and let you know I thought your video was horrible and maybe better luck next time.

I really have trouble with the idea that you can pass judgment on someone else's work without really even watching it. You say you just began to skim through the Episode, and then were confused by the fighting? Well, no kidding. If you don't bother to watch all of an episode or read a full chapter of a book, you won't understand why something happens.. I think the series is very interesting, and though a little dark at times that just makes it more unique.. so many shows and movies constantly put out "..and they lived happily ever after" themes were things just work out in the end, but the world isn't like that. There is pain and darkness and desperation and I like seeing it in this format.

As for the content you have produced - it's all well and good to say that they "came out to be very well" (whatever the hell that sentences means), but did you actually get those videos up on a site like this, or put them up anywhere? Would you have the guts to put your work up for the slaughter of people who don't even give it a chance? ..Probably not.

Also - to the comment regarding 10 mins of Episode and 10 mins of commentary.. you don't have to watch both.. it's just bonus content for folks who dig that kind of thing.

just my 2 cents.

So some chick puts on a hot topic uniform, acts a tad whorish, leads a guy into pulling a knife on her, then kills him? wtf? If we are supposed to identify or sympathize with the character, you would think she wouldn't kill for fun. Well made but the writing could use some work. Also, the intro was a bit long.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here