151: Boom! Headshot

Boom! Headshot

"Like any proud (Filipino) American family, we give thanks that we may eat well, drink well and tear up the local Counter-Strike server. While the older folks gather around the karaoke machine and croon the same '80s pop tunes every year, my middle school-aged cousins cluster around our motley collection of PCs, and without fail, "Boom, headshot!" resounds throughout the house. This is because, from gamer geeks in the Netherlands to my 12-year-old cousin in California to my college roommates who got me hooked on the show three years ago, everyone watches Pure Pwnage."

Read Full Article

This was a brilliant read for me.

Being a member of the PPGA (PurePwnage Gamer Army) for a while now and a fan of the show since episode 2 I love seeing other people's reactions to the show.

I'm dying to go to a premier...I live in the North West of the UK and London is too far away so I missed that one...Liverpool would be a good destination. European capital of culture, big city, birthplace to The Beatles and 30/40 minute bus journey for me to get there :p

Uh...what's funny about this? (Serious)

That's funny how the article is about the famous saying of "Boom Headshot" but NO mention of the genius behind the phrase and the character that does all the REAL crazy antics in the show fpsdoug or otherwise known as the actor Joel Gardiner.

Get your facts straight!

dear pegro,

glad to see you registered just to post that! you must be a true fpsdoug fan.

Im more of a fan of honesty in journalism. If you are going to write an article about one of the most famous sayings on the internet maybe credit the man that made it as famous as it is. You are right about one thing as good as the show is I wouldnt have even seen it if it wasnt for that clip on youtube of Joel Gardiner playing "fpsdoug". Just found your article to either be extremely biased or just written by a person that hasnt actually watched the series.

He does have a point...I posted a link to this on the official PP forums, so expect the fans to read this and point things out.

Also someone rightly pointed out it's "ghey", not "gay".

Get ur head out of ur ASses?

IT was a wicked post man inspiring and hilarious.

Darksea:
Get ur head out of ur ASses?

IT was a wicked post man inspiring and hilarious.

But left out a major person in the story...Not to mention the creator of the catchphrase that has lent itself to the article's title.

This isn't an article about what pure pwnage is. This is an article about how pure pwnage fills a certain space for gamer entertainment that isn't a game and some of its effects on gamer culture. If you reread, there isn't a fact that he didn't have straight. He may have missed something that you felt was immutably necessary.
But... why is this so important to you when you already know this?

I think I get it though. I love Gardiner's performance and I think he's a better actor than Jarett Cale. But Cale plays the lead and he's bound to get more attention for that.

It's not a PP encyclopedia, just an article; since when did it have to mention Doug?
I reckon Cale's a better actor. Doug is a fairly one dimensional character that can be played for laughs more easily. I've noticed recently though that Cale is playing Jeremy brilliantly; the self-aware glances at the camera remind me of Ricky Gervais playing David Brent, and he is much more complicated as a character now. Doug, while funny, is a bit of a one-trick pony.

I don't think I've ever actually said "BOOM Headshot!" out loud. Even when I pwn noobs in CSS.

Although, to be honest, less than a year ago, I was the nub. I'm neither noob nor 1337, but somewhere in between.

Anyway, your family is awesome. I'm the only person in my extended family to get into PC gaming.

I saw the Pure Pwnage guys filming outside my apartment a month or so ago... it was awesome, until I tried to explain to my girlfriend what the show was about and she told them, "He plays a lot of video games. You should interview him for your show!"

Fail.

the beat thing about shooters is the headshot!!!

Yeah, i think the point of the article has been missed by some, but as an avid fan of PP and regualar shopper to the store (I even have PurePwnage boxer shorts) it's nice to read something like this. I've been following the show since like....ever and more importantly, as a film production student, it's good to see how something so simple can fill a niche gap and take off so well.

Our school just abuses one of the boys in my year with that phrase. Whenever he walks past, people just shout "BOOM, Headshot!" at him. He gets more then slightly irritated by it.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Uh...what's funny about this? (Serious)

Yeah, I'm not quite sure I get it either. It must be an American joke or something.

Pegro:
That's funny how the article is about the famous saying of "Boom Headshot" but NO mention of the genius behind the phrase and the character that does all the REAL crazy antics in the show fpsdoug or otherwise known as the actor Joel Gardiner.

Get your facts straight!

yea i am surprised how little this article has to do with the actual "Boom headshot" saying, and also it is only so epic because of Joel Gardiner's excellent delivery of the line.

I like few other ppl here seam to miss the point in this article a bit but PP is good and has become a very big part of gaming culture.

/PPGA (.:.> The66Monkey

an article on Pure Pwnage is kind of tasteless at the moment. Try Dixon (T-Bag) died recently in a car accident. some more information about that would have been appreciated.

PP tv series next year (Whoo)

Im just pleased to see someone outside of the PP community recognising where the saying even came from. Its remarkable the amount of players Ive seen use the saying but not have a clue about PP! :P

Can't beat PP! Its great! I want the "BOOM! Headshot" title in MW2, but i have yet to unlock it :\ Anyone know who its done?

It was a nice read, I've seen a couple of eps of PP, but alas it never stuck ( I did how ever like it alot)

Very nice article. =]

Quite an interesting read, I never heard of the shows before, I will be damned sure to check it out and see if it's really that entertaining for me.

I noticed some people are making a fuss about something that's not even required. So try to read damnit and then talk.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here