Videogame Theater: Pac-Man: The Insatiable Hunger

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Pac-Man: The Insatiable Hunger

A twisted look at the secret lives of videogaming's classic heroes.
Created by Scott Chernoff, former contributor to Jimmy Kimmel Live; Frank Meyer, the Webby Award winning creator of G4tv.com's Freestyle 101; and BJ Guyer, the coordinating producer, puppet builder, and puppeteer of Comedy Central's Crank Yankers.

Erm... Quality control pleases? Maybe I need to watch it again or something, but I'm beginning to wonder is the Escapist growing too fast? It dragged ON and ON. Seriously when has this NOT been done before? ZP was perfectly original thats what made it great. So was Unforgotten realms. But now these "new" comers (kung fu grip VGT) are ruining the once fantastic quality and intelligence that I once knew and loved this site for. The articles are still great, but this new insatiable hunger for shit-paste video content is making me sick.

Please guys find GOOD talent not this adolescent "fuck you bitch IM QUEER" shit. Last time I checked random profanity was not funny AT ALL and it still isn't.

Anyone else agree with me?

Can't say I like this. Didn't we move past this kind of humor after the 90ies?

I can't say I found this very funny either. And the fact than I saw it on Youtube two years ago doesn't make it any better.

It's odd. They're using game characters that are only going to appeal to someone my age...well, are only going to be recognized by someone my age, but still applying adolescent 12 year old humor to it. Whose supposed to be watching this stuff? Someone who liked Pac-Man years ago or someone who likes incessant swearing and bitch jokes? I'm not sure there is much overlap.

It's like watching a duck walk backwards or something.

Well, if this is an indication of what the upcoming Pacman movie will be like, then I think we can safely say that that enterprise is sunk.

As I'm a fan of neither "Jimmy Kimmel Live" nor "Crank Yankers", this article already had me leery about watching. Now with the above comments on the video, my trepidation seems justified and I really can't see myself expending precious lifespan to see it. Sorry.

-- Steve

I couldn't bear to watch this even to the half-way point. Why is this here?

I'd say how bad this was, and how the Escapist needs quality control, but frankly, everyone else has already said it a million times already.

So I'll just hum.

L.B. Jeffries:
It's odd. They're using game characters that are only going to appeal to someone my age...well, are only going to be recognized by someone my age, but still applying adolescent 12 year old humor to it. Whose supposed to be watching this stuff? Someone who liked Pac-Man years ago or someone who likes incessant swearing and bitch jokes? I'm not sure there is much overlap.

It's like watching a duck walk backwards or something.

What? It's Pac-man, dude. Pac-man. Everybody knows him!
Well, I actually liked this quite a bit better then the kung-fu grip one, but it was still pretty bad.

The baby pac-man came and I couldn't stand it any longer. This is dreadful.

Well, I too would say what a waste of space this video is and how the Escapist is sorely in need of quality control... except... um... I'm one of the people who made it! And (no surprise) I'm rather fond of it, too.

DrTray, you're absolutely right that you saw this episode on YouTube a couple years ago! Luckily, the response to it there and elsewhere around the internets was warmer than the comments here so far, beause we got to make a bunch more and I'm really proud of them -- I think each episode gets better and more awesome as the series goes along.

But then again, what do I know? After all, I love this one too and I'm proud of it. So you can take my plugs for future episodes with a multitude of salt, but I'm super-excited for you guys to see the next episode -- the first of the new ones, "Donkey Kong vs. Mario: A Barrel of Hope." It's tough to start with one that's already been widely seen - for me the exciting part will be unleashing the new stuff.

(Anton, I hope you check it out, too. Give peace a chance.)

We are thrilled to be part of the Escapist and we love it here. Can't wait for everyone to see more, and to read more of your responses, painful as they may be!

Oh, and p.s. - hi, I'm Scott. This is my first post here.

Welcome to Thunderdome, Scott.

Thanks, Russ. Glad to be here.

I don't know...I'm 30 and was relatively amused. The first minute or so was slow..but then things picked up quite nicely. I like the superimposition of multiple screens - there was a moment when I realized just how cracked out Pac-Man really is. How did I not see it before!!!

So yeh, that was alright by me.

I thought it was hilarious.

Xwii360:
But now these "new" comers (kung fu grip VGT) are ruining the once fantastic quality and intelligence that I once knew and loved this site for.

I agree that you joined 20-some days ago.

..and that given your join date, you might not know what you're talking about.

VGT Scott Chernoff:

Erm...sorry if the earlier post was harsh. Technically and in terms of ambition it was definitely impressive and the trippy sequence got a smile out of me. Just a bit rough around the edges.

If you made more of these and they got better as you got more experience, then I'm glad to hear you're switching to the new stuff. I'll tune in.

I have mountains of old crap that I wrote and posted on the internet years ago, but I'd be horrified if they ever saw the light of day now. Nobody starts out a pro, and it's good to see you opening the floodgates for talking.

Interesting enough, while "swear word" humor did deter it some (though not so much if you are aware of Puck Man), I thought it made some nice kooky references to the insanity that was Pac-Man, especially when Pac-Man told Jr he wasn't really his (see Pac Man Clones).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-Man

You know what would have made a good close to this? That one screen we used to see on arcade machines that proclaimed "Don't Use Drugs" or whatever.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/Winners_Dont_Use_Drugs.png

drawnbypain:

I love you both equally.

Russ Pitts:

drawnbypain:

I love you both equally.

Aunty Entity: This is no enemy. It's almost family.
Max: Oh, I see, real civilized!
Aunty Entity: The reasons don't concern you, only the conditions. Do you want the deal or not?
Max: Mmm
The Collector: The first is, no one knows you're working for Aunty. You hit him, you go. The second is, it's a fair fight. The third is, it's to the death.

-Thunderdome (aka wtf why bring the same actor back to play a different part in a sequel movie)

L.B. Jeffries:
Erm...sorry if the earlier post was harsh. Technically and in terms of ambition it was definitely impressive and the trippy sequence got a smile out of me. Just a bit rough around the edges.

If you made more of these and they got better as you got more experience, then I'm glad to hear you're switching to the new stuff. I'll tune in.

I have mountains of old crap that I wrote and posted on the internet years ago, but I'd be horrified if they ever saw the light of day now. Nobody starts out a pro, and it's good to see you opening the floodgates for talking.

Well, thank you for the thoughtful post - it's appreciated. I like reading all the responses (good, bad, and ugly - please keep them coming). I respect your opinion but let me also be clear: when I say the series gets better as it goes along, that doesn't mean I agree with you about episode #1. On the contrary, I love "Pac-Man: The Insatiable Hunger," and I hope 100% of the Escapist community gets to see it. I'm confident and hopeful that many will love it.

Unlike the old stuff you made that you said you'd be horrified for people to see, VGT is something I'm very excited to share. The pilot episode is also something which, yes, we made a while ago -- and that's why I'm also optimistic that you will become more of a fan as the show goes along. Because you ain't seen nothing yet.

Oh, and p.s.: "Drawn by Pain" is phenomenal!!

VGT Scott Chernoff:

I liked it in a odd way, not my first choise for top video if ZP left but good.

Anyway glad to see the makers of a video say something, as far as I can see the others don't.

Drawnbypain excluded of corse.

QUALITY CONTROL!!!!!!

come on its what the spanish call a certain... i dont know what

but it still was horrible

This video was ok as far as laughs go. They where funny but I couldn't help but feel like I have heard all these jokes before. I think this series can go to good places but only time will tell I suppose...

One word: Awesome!

Bah, that was so la la, but more la than la. Not really good.

sorry, but ive seen the "pac man does drugs!" joke to many times now, and this really wasnt very good, it was just, i dont know... Childish?

xMacx:

Xwii360:
But now these "new" comers (kung fu grip VGT) are ruining the once fantastic quality and intelligence that I once knew and loved this site for.

I agree that you joined 20-some days ago.

..and that given your join date, you might not know what you're talking about.

And I agree that you should think before you flame, I've visited this site for well over a year now because of the fantastic articles. I only just became a member a bit ago.

Anyway about the series, I do see that this is a great concept and hopefully it gets a lot better, after 2 or so years ,as you said, I'm sure your series will have gotten better. Sorry about the harshness I just didn't know this was an old episode.

I actually liked it.

I really wanted to enjoy this.
It looked very promising from the intro but after that it just dragged.
The 'Coming Soon' was the only bit that appealed to me but I think that any expansion of the stories mentioned would probably bore me to tears if they're as badly executed as this was.

Hey everyone. I am Frank Meyer, co-creator of VGT. Some of you may know me from my work at G4tv too. Just wanted to chime in and thank everyone for posting and speaking up. Love it or hate it, we wanna hear what ya think about Videogame Theater! But allow me to just say one thing -- the Pac-Man episode was the first one we did and is the oldest one. Awhile later we made 13 more kick-ass episodes that we think you guys will LOVE. The previews at the end of the Pac-Man pilot give you an idea of what's in store....but it gets waaaay crazier than that! Yes, many episodes are crude, and full of sex, cursing and violence....but that's just the kinda twisted, f--ked up stuff we love!!! Hopefully you will too. And if not, then fire away. We can take it. We play with puppets and videogames, so we're used to getting beaten up on a regular basis. So enjoy. Speak up. And rock on. -- Frank

Xwii360:
And I agree that you should think before you flame, I've visited this site for well over a year now because of the fantastic articles. I only just became a member a bit ago.

This ends here or you both get banned. Move along. /mod.

a part of me just died!

DGKT93:
a part of me just died!

Which part?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist: