Videogame Theater: Pac-Man's Video Blog: 1979

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Pac-Man's Video Blog: 1979

Pac-Man begins his rise to greatness.

Ok. The previous episode was so horrible that I thought to myself -- surely it can't get worse that this. Hopefully I was right. Now hold on there...don't get all excited. This episode was still bad. Sorry. But it wasn't as atrociously awful as the Donkey Kong episode. Still though, my number one complaint is that the show is just not funny. Pacman's entire speech was boring, not funny. The ending made me chuckle though.

So...congratulations on not being as terrible as last time, but still pretty bad.

That's a complement, by the way. Well...sort of.

Eh.. This didn't seem to have a point to it. Why Pac Man? It could of been anyone.. The video was just poor. I didn't laugh at all, not once.. Either this isn't my type of thing, or its as dull as I think it is.

Better than the first two episodes.

Umm, sorry to be contrary apparently, but the nice thing about this episode is the few chuckles, even groans, were not tarnished by er, cruelty. Want to know what got the chuckles? A twist on the way Pac views the Ms, though it seems like it was a lost opportunity in more playing off of that we know what Pac's future turns out like and perhaps having him go on about how he is going to have a big career in spread sheets or something the opposite of games, then having someone suggest he has a pill... *shrug*

In a way, its too bad this wasn't the first episode or then again, maybe the worst is behind us now? Well, best of luck with the next one.

*sighs* Keep trying, I suppose you guys will get it at some point.

Yeah, guys.

"Keep trying!"

Love that.

Latest ep was quite good, but I'm going to place it at number 3. So, that's a bronze, bro.

The first two were stellar with Donkey Kong my clear fave. I really want to see the Q*bert ep, but I am honestly frightened that there will be cries of outrage on this board at the portrayal of the world's first retarded video game character.

Still... press on.

Here are some other episodes I'd like to see:

-- Dig Dig finds sooty man-love with Frygar in a mine collapse. It'll be like "Ace in the Hole" except with romance. Brokeback, except in a mine. There should probably be cannibalism.
-- Frogger presents an angry tirade at the local city council meeting to protest the lack of crosswalks. Also, he has throat cancer and speaks with one of those handheld voice thingies because the swamp water was polluted with PCBs by a multinational out of China.
-- Sinistar waits at the DMV. Seriously. That episode writes itself.

Lemme know how it turns out.

Love your work.

LOVE it!

Still bad.

Alright, I'll brake it down.

The Good: The Jerk poster in the back. Love that movie.

The Bad: Everything else.

The series just isn't funny, which I'm guessing its supposed to be.

And why are we back with Pac-Man? Three episodes in and you're already reusing characters.

The premise of the series is fine, and full of potential. The execution, however, not so much.

Qbert kind of made me laugh. That's not good enough for me to continue watching this series though. It's terrible and you're clearly not learning anything from the vast supplies of negative feedback you've been getting. I'm out from here on in. If someone enjoys this then good for them but for the good of the other 99% of people, we're just going to have to stop giving this a chance which it clearly doesn't deserve. Good luck, VGT. Hope you don't lose any more viewers than you already have.

I'll agree with some earlier statements, it was too general, didn't play off the fact the person speaking was Pac-Man enough, improvement in that it was finally done in a way in which the characters weren't such huge jerks that they weren't funny, they were just mean, etc.

But basically, you switched from character driven plot to a long boring speech. Maybe this is some sort of commentary on the nature of video blogs, but if so, wrong place to voice it. This one's just plain not funny.

Im just going to look at the comments first from now on before wasting my time watching this

I don't get it. Is this one of those pretentious shows that's too stuck up its own ass to be any good?

Good idea, bad execution.

How about this? PacMan hanging out with the guy from centipede, or gal, and they're fooling around and he drops a cherry on her or something " Oh **** " cut the camera, then show an advertisement for the original pacman game. May not be great, but it'd be more entertaining than a serious monologue on a supposedly funny show.

i love this show the first ep was the best in my opinion i cant understand what's so bad about it its dark and its better than most internet shows i mean pac man with a drug addiction and a wife beater the part when he says "i'll kill you.." made me laugh so hard I will say a barrel of hope was a little meh... but the donky kong jr was funny and the ending was good just a good twist on an old joke

An improvement on last week, but only a little bit, but thats not exactly hard.

I'll say that this one at least wasn't bad or unpleasant to watch, which was the feeling the last two gave to me. However, I didn't find it funny or worthwhile and ended up skipping ahead a few times just to see if it was going anywhere. Turns out that it wasn't. It seems to me the creators of this series need to do some time studying comedy and figuring out what actually makes people laugh, how long of an attention span the average watcher has, what's been done too many times before, et cetera. Comedy is as much an art as anything.

Maybe I am to young to get any jokes but I didn't get this at all. Where there even any jokes? It just sounded like a stereotypical drunk male student.

If you had done another videogame character it might have been better since you already used Pac-Man.

I do hope I get your future stuff!

the last two were.....bad this one is just meh.

i assume at the rate this is going they will be the top shit by the next two or three years.

A lot of people, for the whole series, have said the series was not funny, and one of its creators, Scott Chernoff, has defended it.

With all of the complaints about the series lack of humor, I have something to ask of him.

If he can post about this episode, and tell us, the community, what he thought was funny about this episode.

I just want to know what he and the rest of the VGT team were aiming for in regards to humor.

Thanks.

This is the first one of these I've watched. All I can say is it looked like it was a lot of fun to make. If so, please continue cranking them out and eventually you might learn what to do and what not to do. If it wasn't, I'd recommend whoever is involved stop doing them now.

-Nick

Gahars:
A lot of people, for the whole series, have said the series was not funny, and one of its creators, Scott Chernoff, has defended it.

With all of the complaints about the series lack of humor, I have something to ask of him.

If he can post about this episode, and tell us, the community, what he thought was funny about this episode.

I just want to know what he and the rest of the VGT team were aiming for in regards to humor.

Thanks.

Second, I'd like to know what his idea of humor is exactly.

Gahars:

Thanks.

I'm not entirely sure whether this episode was supposed to be funny or not. Maybe it's just part of a multi-episode plot-line, and there's going to be a big punchline at the end, but to be honest, I'm not holding my breath

Well, this didn't make me laugh, It had no plot, and the jokes didn't seem to go anywhere, but at least it didn't make me cringe horribly to myself like the other two videos.

There were jokes in this?

*sigh* It's just painfully dull. The Mario/Donkey Kong one was almost too mean-spirited to be funny, this was too dull, and the Pac Man on drugs was...too weird. The trailers for this show looked pretty funny at the end of the Zero Punctuation vids, but for having such an apparantly high production budget, there's a lack of any quality writing or performing in this.

When did the jokes start? Hope you aren't getting alot of money to preduce this series since it really isn't worth it.

I am completely clueless as to why this pile of fetid rubbish is being shown at all, let alone on the escapist.
I implore the makers of this to stop, re-assess what the hell you are doing and come back with something other than a feckless student project destined to be forgotten as quickly as a drunkards memory.
For the love of god, stop; your embarrassing yourselves.

Okay, do the creators even read the comments here? I hope they do because I just got a shiny new Escapist account just to post one. Please stop this series, asap.

O.o... I honestly almost fell asleep...!

better, but still bad, keep trying.

Hey all, I've been swamped working on a couple new projects, so I haven't had as much time to keep up with the message board this week. But to answer a couple questions, yes at least one of the creators does read these comments, and our idea of what's funny is whatever makes us laugh. (It's a pretty sophisticated theory.)

Harry, thank you for your enthusiasm and your ideas! You'll be happy to know that Frogger is coming up soon, and he does indeed have some grievances. The Q*Bert story is also kind of an epic. We have been thinking about how we'd want to do a Dig Dug episode, and your ideas are great. Also, Sinistar - nice.

Lord Kamina, thanks also for your comment - glad you're out there. And Sammyfreak, glad you're still watching and posting, too. Actually, thank you to everyone here for watching and commenting!

Also, a special shout-out to Rent Cavalier for saying we have an apparently high production budget -- we take that as a huge compliment, considering we really didn't. Yet despite how time- and labor-intensive it is to actually produce VGT, yes Kayevcee, they are also super-fun to make.

Back to work for me now -- more soon!

VGT Scott Chernoff:
But to answer a couple questions, yes at least one of the creators does read these comments, and our idea of what's funny is whatever makes us laugh. (It's a pretty sophisticated theory.)

Sounds like you didn't really understand the question then, or are purposefully avoiding saying what you found funny about this episode.

Gahars:

VGT Scott Chernoff:
But to answer a couple questions, yes at least one of the creators does read these comments, and our idea of what's funny is whatever makes us laugh. (It's a pretty sophisticated theory.)

Sounds like you didn't really understand the question then, or are purposefully avoiding saying what you found funny about this episode.

I don't think it really matters. At this point, it's fairly obvious that their idea of what's funny isn't shared by most of us here.

VGT Scott Chernoff:
I've been working on a couple new projects

God help us all.

No offense but(yah no offense is never used in nice context) but that was bad to meh at best.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here