Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Solid 4

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 31 NEXT

Metal Gear Solid 4

Yahtzee reviews Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots: Tactical Espionage Action.

Watch Video

i was hoping this would be reviewed, priceless as always, keep up the good work...

Nice

Ruh roh place callers fear the banhammer!

Is it me or are the long cut scenes shippable? Alot of moaning about something fixed easily.

Woot! I bet this review will be awesome, can't wait *clickie*

[edit] well I've watched it, and as expected, You found it as fanboy-ish as I did.

Also I would like to ask you to officially announce the end of your movies, since The Escapist tends to hang trailers on it's back without a proper notification. (since you sometimes do these epic movies on the side)

I enjoyed it, thank you for doing all that trouble of playing a game, and writing an awesome review about it!

Spot on especially about the length of the cut scenes, going from act 2 to act 3 took more than a hour I swear!

they are skipable, but first time through I wanted to hear the story

For once, i disagree with Yahtzee. This game is amazing

I absolutely love MGS4 because i am a fan and i loved all the other ones. Great review as always, so fucking funny!
And while i do actually love this game, i agree with every single one of yahtzee coments. Yes the cutscenes are skippable but who wants to miss out on the convoluted story? They could have cut them down and still kept as much of the story. Took me 17 hours to watch the cutscenes are 2 hours to play the game.

i love this one omfg i love you man XD been waiting for you to do MGS4 from when it come out and you forgot to say about the 5gb it puts on to your ps3 , lets see if lots of people send you emails saying you suck XD but i think its awesome

conqueror Kenny:
Is it me or are the long cut scenes skippable? Alot of moaning about something fixed easily.

x2 still entertaining never the less

Hey!!! MGS series is the Matrix of video games. You just need open your mind. Yes I would vote in Kojima for President!

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Metal Gear Solid 4

Yahtzee reviews Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots: Tactical Espionage Action.

Watch Video

I'm sorry but my inner PS3 fanboy orders you to delete the "Kajima" tag and replace it with Kojima. Great review by the way

He's right about the whole, "Things become less funny when they become commonplace," thing. No offense or anything, but Yahtzee's reviews never make me laugh as much as they did when I first started watching them. The first review I saw, I nearly cried because of how funny it was. Now, I just chuckle.

I haven't played any of the Metal Gears due to complete and utter lack of interest in the stealth (I typed steakth originally; I think my subconscious is telling me something) genre, and with the constant praise flying around for MGS4 I was worried I was missing out on something beautiful. Glad to know that it probably wouldn't appeal to me anyway.

What are you talking about focusing on the action? If you play the game on anything above Naked Normal you have to be stealthy as possible because of the near absesnse of health and the fact enemies have bionic supervision and hearing.

MILLERIFIC:
For once, i disagree with Yahtzee. This game is amazing

You have to remember that Yahtzee's a game critic, rather than one which solely focuses on story (hence why BioShock was still rated pretty low) and thus any sort of emotional attachment the majority of people who play this game have to the franchise is totally lost on him, especially given the cutscenes (and thus no playability) for hours on end explaining a story as confusing as an amputee swan in a clown car.

Excellent work as always... Apparantly I'm a metal gear fanboy ... doh ;)

Been waiting two weeks for this.

Well, you don't need to play the first three(million) games from this sequel, just watch this:
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/6748.html

yay!

klc0100:

conqueror Kenny:
Is it me or are the long cut scenes skippable? Alot of moaning about something fixed easily.

You want to talk to me about spelling. You have started a war my friend a war you have no chance of winning.

I was expecting so much more, yet I received so little...

As for the lack of tactical espionage, its due to the developers' decision to make the game easy for the stupids in the world. The controls aren't bad, either, and honestly, its not meant to be played as a cover-based shooter. You certainly use cover, but not when you decide to go Rambo, as most people playing this game seem to be inclined to do.

another fucking hilarious review yahtzee, well done/...

i doubt he is actually going to read this lol/

The problem with MGS games is the control mechanics are from Japan and they just dob't seem to get it and in MGS4 it feels like they tacked on alot of crap as a afterthought. What makes MGS games really good though and make you see through this is the story and kool gameplay ideas that are in and you just wish'd there was more of it and the controls wern't so bad.

And yeah, to anyone who thinks the AI is stupid, play it on Hard or Boss extreme

I liked the review, but it's just because I only like odd numbered MGS games.

Me: "I didn't like the 30 minute cutscenes in MGS2 (and don't get me started on Rose)."
Konami: "Yeah, well we tripled the cutscene length!"
Me: "And you can all go to Hell."

I pretty much knew everything he was going to say before he said it, those flaws are very apparent and everything he said is pretty much dead on. Nice note about the writing though, it's good to see I'm no the only one who thought "This story REALLY isn't bad, neither are these characters, they just REALLY need a good writer/editor/something to come across better."

conqueror Kenny:

klc0100:

conqueror Kenny:

You want to talk to me about spelling. You have started a war my friend a war you have no chance of winning.

It had to be done and dont go off topic now or you may get banned..again =D

Good work again Yahtzee, although now I want to eat the worlds biggest pie. Mmmmm pie.

(there are only 3 games that count as direct sequals in a sense, just go for the ones with the word Solid in the title and you should be fine)

This is exactly what I expected Yahtzee to say. Ever since he mentioned in his review of the World Ends with you that he hates it when he doesn't feel he is contributing I knew MGS4 would really annoy him with its cutscene times

Persoanlly I find his comments generally acurate because the only MGS game I've really played is MGS2 which starts of reasonable, becomes just plain bizarre about midway and has a final cutscene that is nothing short of abysmal and confusing

Always planned to buy this game but conviction wavered a bit, may see if I can rent it somehow first, oh who am I kiding I'll buy it Friday and probably wont complain much.

Ah, seems it's MGS' trn to get snuck up on and shivved horribly in the nads. I have to agree on the whole plot/game ratio, which was so woefully inadequate I was glad I'd snuck round a mate's place to play it.

And the fan element is bang on - the only people I've heard sing MGS' praises have been those who've plaed from the very start. I guess I could have been in that same boat, as I played MGS1 for a while, before realsing I still didn't have 200.6% completion on Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night, and buggered off to play that instead.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 31 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here