Zero Punctuation: Metal Gear Solid 4

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 31 NEXT

rebochan:
I have no PS3 and have never played a Metal Gear game, and I still find myself bored with this review because, surprise surprise, the vast majority of it was Yahtzee whining about his dialogue phobias.

Good lord, we know. Dialogue = bad, shooting = good. Can we get over it? I mean even the BioShock review whined about dialogue WHEN NONE OF IT WAS ACTUALLY INTERRUPTING THE GAMEPLAY. And yet the guy still claims to be a huge fan of Earthbound, which I still find doubtful considering the game has tons of dialogue, random encounters, and other JRPG goodness that should have had the man in an apoplectic fit within the first five minutes.

Then again, most of my bitterness is less from Yahtzee himself and more from the mewling masses that feel the need to parade around the internet and flame the crap out of anyone who dares have tastes different from their god. Needless to say, two pages of Yahtzee wanking within minutes of the review being posted does not surprise me. The fact that he actively discourages this and clearly loathes the hive-mind of idiocy that hangs on his every word is entirely lost on them.

I agree, Yahtzee has a blantant fear of games with any kind of story you cant master with in the first 5mins of booting it up, i think he needs to learn that the days of mindless, arcade shooters is over, games are considered a real media and devs want to make something out of it, i also agree that all you 'Yahtzee fanboys' need to get your own opinions.

Melaisis:

MILLERIFIC:
For once, i disagree with Yahtzee. This game is amazing

You have to remember that Yahtzee's a game critic, rather than one which solely focuses on story (hence why BioShock was still rated pretty low) and thus any sort of emotional attachment the majority of people who play this game have to the franchise is totally lost on him, especially given the cutscenes (and thus no playability) for hours on end explaining a story as confusing as an amputee swan in a clown car.

That is so true. I've always had a love-hate relashionship with the MGS series; I truely love the games... when I'm actually playing them (that's why my favorite MGS game is MGS: Portable Ops for the PSP, the cutscenes are kept to a minimal). The whole cutscenes issue is something that kind of made MGS into what it is, but that's a double edged sword because that's exactly the reason why the other half of us will never be interested in the series.

best one in a long time.

nightfish:

DrMisanthrope:
the infinate ammo tranq gun is for easy mode

it shouldn't be there in easy mode either.

Remember: EASY mode...

LMAO "this shit is bananas" this man is a god

Yes OK the story line in MGS twists and turns more often than a British B road and the plot is about as plausable as Harrison Ford in "Air Force One" but its quite good fun. Overly Harsh Yarhhhtzee I think besides what else would you have been doing if not for watching those cut scenes...? Emailing boys you think are cute on facebook asking them if they wanna play twing twang or maybe creating a longer ZP video perhaps?

like the video, but i feel the same effect that Yahztee mentioned for his videos...i started as the GH3 Review was fresh and laughed at almost every Video, now ... i dunno, i sometimes dont need to laugh anymore.
Ive grown into it<.<

BUT, i never played the MGS games, only briefly seeing my friends play MGS1 and MGS3, and getting some of the Story told, my experience with MGS4 was quite pleasent. Yes it has long Cutscenes that get annoying in 10 minutes sometimes, but sometimes im just so drawn in by the story i want to see what happens next, leaving me to play the game for 12 hours while my friend next to me had already slumbered away over Night.

Theres just so much Connection, so much AHA or Oh thats what its like moments, like for example i never knew that MGS1 2 3 and the others where linked somehow other then the Hero, then finding every piece of connection in the storys in MGS4 really catched me, sometimes sickened me WARNING SPOILER
WARNING SPOILER
WARNING SPOILER
WARNING SPOILER
as to see the Hero of MGS3, codename Naked Snake, artificially kept alive because his DNA was important somehow, without ANY kind of skin left in a plastic bag, just to finally see him die by burning.
Or the ocassional revisit of Shadow Moses Island from part 1...

Spoiler over:

theres just so much i like about the Story, and the Gameplay (you can sneak, or Rambo, or sneak/rambo), and the Beauty and Beast units Bossfights kinda catched me.
The one agains Laughing Octupus was awesome...

Funny as always, but as a few people have already noted - playing on anything above normal difficulty turns it into a whole new game, one where stealth IS necessary, and running out of bullets for the tranq gun is a very real possibility. On the hardest difficulty, you actually can't buy tranquilizer rounds, and have a very limitted maximum capacity - try the game on that difficulty and you'll see just how much "Tactical Espionage" plays into MGS4. Even better - try going for the no-alert, no-kill, no healing items 5 hour time limit game for the Big Boss emblem and you'll really see how challenging and stealty the game can be.

I feel dirty on the inside, I've gone and ordered one of those Zero Punctuation shirts from Split Reason, after only seeing the URL for about 5 seconds :(
On the other hand: I'M AN ASSASSIN!

Wow, look at all the angry comments.

I predict mailbag showdown 2.

Great review. Although I am surprised that Yahtzee didn't make fun of Hideo Kojima crediting himself as the "Voice Of God" in the end credits.

Yahtzee is even banning the less erratic commenters... someone's getting very conscious of how they are received - even by incompetent faggots. [Ban me, Yahtzee!] :D

Oh good, the tranq gun's back. Because that didn't completely ruin the stealth element of MGS2 at all.

God damnit, Kojima. I liked the first MGS. I really, really did. Why you gotta make me hit you?

A Buff:
Great review. Although I am surprised that Yahtzee didn't make fun of Hideo Kojima crediting himself as the "Voice Of God" in the end credits.

That's 'cause he didn't make it to the end. What an excellent review method. :)

The_Atheistic_Messiah:

Lol, i predict he made this 'review' (i'll call them that because i dont know what else to call them) full of hate aiming for that goal, he's no idiot, he knows how big the MGS fanbase is...

Finally, a review from Yahtzee that I actually disagree with (slightly)! My constant agreement with his opinions was starting to get creepy and weird. I love Epic cut scenes, a 1 hour 30 minute ending? Give me more!

The_Atheistic_Messiah:

Nah, in the SSBB review's thread, they were a lot of complaints like: "y0u suck b4ll5!!". Here - amazingly - I've read just a few. The review was funny as always. Even though, there were some contradictions. The tranq gun is only on easy mode, for people who want it EASY. The redundant dialogue (which I partialy agree on) is for those stupid twats that play the game, hear a sentence ahd three seconds later ask: "What the fuck is this? That's never explained! Fucking story filled with plot holes" or - in other circumstances - news to the series. That, pretty much, sums it up.

The_Atheistic_Messiah:

I don't know because as opposed to the SSBB thread this one has some very valid and smart rebuttals.

Well, I'm not sure what to think of this review. I knew going in that this game had cutscenes pouring out of all its orifices having played other Metal Gear games, so I was ready for it. His last statement was actually a good one: go to Gamestop, get Metal Gear Solid 3 for a few bucks, play it, and return it if you don't like it (my friends are cheapskates who love this tactic). I personally like the Metal Gear series and have rated it the best movie ever played. The controls are a little quirky, but fun once you get used to them (CQC I personally enjoyed), I enjoy the humor in it, and the series gets wrapped up nicely in this last installment. I also agree that the gizmo sections are psychotically complex at first glance, but it's rewarding for me to be able to tweak out my M4 with more gadgets than the average U.S. marine. I personally really enjoyed the game and I really hope it gets ported to other consoles so that others can enjoy the same wonderful experience (see Red vs. Blue's PSA #36).

Then again, I'm an anime/JRPG fan, so Yahtzee already wants to shove several meters of blunt metal objects down my throat. :)

Yahtzee nails exactly why I have never liked the Metal Gear series. Thank you Yahtzee, keep up the good work. Kojima is so overrated it's MIND BOTTLING. "You know, when your thoughts like get all trapped up like inside a bottle!"

This games a steal. How long is the cutscenes?Going to round it to 6 hours. Thats like two movies plus a game plus online. all for only 60 bucks.. Its trying its hardest to please everybody.

ShwStppnActr:
He's right about the whole, "Things become less funny when they become commonplace," thing. No offense or anything, but Yahtzee's reviews never make me laugh as much as they did when I first started watching them. The first review I saw, I nearly cried because of how funny it was. Now, I just chuckle.

weird isnt it? i was thinkin the same thing...
but i figured it was just because im an MGS fanboy whos already finished the game twice and cant find a single thing wrong with it,

but honestly. the first time i started watching Zero Punctuation. i thought DevilMayCry and Guitar Hero etc, were just f**** hilarious..

now the latest ones Haze, Oblivion, Painkiller.. all those jus dont make me laugh as much.shame

Gekidami:

I agree, Yahtzee has a blantant fear of games with any kind of story you cant master with in the first 5mins of booting it up, i think he needs to learn that the days of mindless, arcade shooters is over, games are considered a real media and devs want to make something out of it, i also agree that all you 'Yahtzee fanboys' need to get your own opinions.

As do all the anti-Yahtzee chaps - they sing the same tune as one another, after all. ;)

But anyway, ever think that maybe it's just shitty story that gets a bashing? MGS has a wonderful story, sure, but jesus christ. So much needless exposition and repetition. It feels like it's just a constant stream of plot dumps in some places. That isn't good storytelling.

Magister2005:
Well, I'm not sure what to think of this review. I knew going in that this game had cutscenes pouring out of all its orifices having played other Metal Gear games, so I was ready for it. His last statement was actually a good one: go to Gamestop, get Metal Gear Solid 3 for a few bucks, play it, and return it if you don't like it (my friends are cheapskates who love this tactic). I personally like the Metal Gear series and have rated it the best movie ever played. The controls are a little quirky, but fun once you get used to them (CQC I personally enjoyed), I enjoy the humor in it, and the series gets wrapped up nicely in this last installment. I also agree that the gizmo sections are psychotically complex at first glance, but it's rewarding for me to be able to tweak out my M4 with more gadgets than the average U.S. marine. I personally really enjoyed the game and I really hope it gets ported to other consoles so that others can enjoy the same wonderful experience (see Red vs. Blue's PSA #36).

Then again, I'm an anime/JRPG fan, so Yahtzee already wants to shove several meters of blunt metal objects down my throat. :)

Actually i thought konami said it was impossible on any other console because ps3 is the only one with blu-ray capable of holding the huge amount cutscenes..

I find this review a bit hit and miss, for times sake i'll break it up

Hits:
*Good god the cutsceenes, while im a nerd when it comes to the story and watched all of them like you, the cut sceenes get really bad at other play throughs. Even though there's a skip abilityu it takes a while with the start skip start skip loops.
* The story is indeed crazy, but at the same time it comes together neatly, god knows they explain it well enough to us
* the cover system in MGS4 sucks. you take forever to peek out let alone line up the shot. It's so bad i dont use cover, i only duck behind things and i only press up agenst a wall to get the camo on, i never fire from cover.

Misses:
*The l1 r1 triangle thing got to me as you dont even need to hit triangle (3rd person works fine) and theres a mode in the options that says remeber first person. The way he says it it's like you have to hold all three to shoot when that's not true at all
* there is plenty of sneaking parts in the game, it all depends on how you play it. you can sneek the whole game excluding one to three segments so saying it was all about shooting got to me aswell
*You didnt mention the awesome boss battles! no rex ray fight, no fist fight at the end and you didnt touch on the BB corps fights...shame!

All in all good review and good jokes, look foward to your next review

Maybe Yahtzee is not as much fun as it used to be, but here we are every wednesday hitting F5 every 10 minutes (or less).

Really, Kojima should just make movies if he wants to have people sit still and listen for that long.

I had considered grabbing a PS3 for this game, just like every other miserable twit out there, but the only MGS game I've played was Twin Snakes for the GCN...I'd be piss fucking lost in MGS4 I'm sure...

PMC stands for Private Military Company or Private Military Contractor.

not really Isaac, it explaines everything...god knows it has time for it in those cutscenes

go for it, you wont miss out on anything...hell i never played any MGS through except for MGS2 and i understood it all at the end

Another great video.

Sweet.

You actually made t-shirts? Pfft, lame. Ah well.

Amusing review, I never got the plot of those games either. Far too... time paradoxy.

Another barbed review, good work.

But alas, another game falls prey to the lack of an Editor...

a bit off topic, but does NO-ONE remember the ORIGINAL Ninja Gaiden 2 for the SNES?

Yahtzee is a critic, he called out his flaws, and most of them were right. If not a little exaggerated. and yes some of the cutscenes are badly written. SOME. But all in all, if you played the first three games, YES, HE EXPECTS YOU TO PLAY THE FIRST THREE! That is what the giant fucking FOUR is their for. And you can skip the cutscenes, but why the fuck would you want to? I Never skipped a single cutscene on my first play through, and the story is amazing. Not to mention the boss battles are some of the best out their. I played the game through on the hardest difficulty, and stealth IS required. The only infinite ammo thing is on easy. Ammo is scarce,and if a guard spots you, your fucking toast. I respect Mr.Croshaw, but I think he should have clarified a little bit.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 31 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here