Editor's Note: Star Wars

Star Wars

I grew up worrying about grade point averages and interest rates on loans, about property values and cholesterol levels. I learned about car insurance and office politics, security deposits and tax deductions. I wanted to be Han Solo, but instead I became C3P0.

Read Full Article

Woah, I just started playing KotoR II yesterday, coincidence? A Jedi would say that there is no such thing.

Well after my inital hesitation to read this issue, I have embraced my inner geek and so far it's been a pretty damned good issue.
Might have to go beat up some old ladies later though, just to balance out my overly geeky day, you understand.

Despite the awful prequels, I still love Star Wars, and I loved this issue.

Archon:

Speak not of the prequels, for they are evil.

Say what you will about the prequels, but Ewan McGregor was a *fantastic* young Obi-Wan.

I was never allowed to play Leia...

CantFaketheFunk:
Say what you will about the prequels, but Ewan McGregor was a *fantastic* young Obi-Wan.

Ewan McGregor is fantastic, period, the end. And to be fair, there is much to enjoy about the prequels. There is also much to loathe.

I actually like the prequels more. Before the flames are thrown let me say that the first Star Wars movie I ever saw was Episode I.

Susan Arendt:

Archon:

We wanted to know why Anakin became Vader and it turns out he's a whiny man-bitch with abandonment issues.

Lame.

HalfShadow:

Susan Arendt:

Archon:

We wanted to know why Anakin became Vader and it turns out he's a whiny man-bitch with abandonment issues.

I didn't care a rats hindquarters about Anakin. Anyone who managed to make James Earl Jones sound stupid doesn't deserve to make a film. And that's way before midi-fecking-chlorians or Eesa-only-a-filmsa.

I'm surprised the new Death Star didn't make a Shoop da Whoop noise.

HalfShadow:

Lame.

Abandonment issues? WTF are you talking about? He's got Everybody-I-ever-cared-about-is-dead issues. And he didn't whine about it, he got violent and killed a whole bunch of people. I don't see any "whiny man-bitch with abandonment issues" I see a fecking psycho.

Zak Frost:
Abandonment issues? WTF are you talking about? He's got Everybody-I-ever-cared-about-is-dead issues. And he didn't whine about it, he got violent and killed a whole bunch of people. I don't see any "whiny man-bitch with abandonment issues" I see a fecking psycho.

The problem was that Hayden Christensen did not portray him that way. Perhaps in the hands of a more skilled actor, Anakin would have been a torn personality, a tragic figure, slowly succumbing to the growing feelings of rage and protectiveness; however, with Mr. Christensen, all we got to see was about four hours of emo whining and glowers that would have looked better on Facebook. The reason I don't like the prequels is that they could have been so much better had some choices been made differently.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. We, the C-3POs of the world- the designated drivers, the bill-payers, the budget-checkers, the door-lock-double-checkers- thank you for the recognition. It's often a thankless job, but someone's got to do it.

I wonder how many times Han locked the keys inside the Millenium Falcon and had to have Chewie get his spare set?

Zak Frost:

HalfShadow:

Lame.

Really? So I guessed you missed the whole 'Hey, did I hear you say can make wifey live forever, Mr Sith, sir? Golly, let me just lean over this table so you can take me now!', not to mention 'The other Jedi don't like meeeeeeee...' thing.

I agree that the world need C-3PO's to run the planet's banks, insurance brokers, and make sure that everyone remembered their passport but it would be a crying shame if the Han Solo spirit died out not least 'cos if I were to ask this question:
who would you want to be? (if male) Date/marry/etc etc? (if you're female) Is your answer going to be C-3PO, the banker, or Han Solo, pirete-scoundral? It's a no-brainer isn't it.

Anyway...Long live the Han Solo spirit in all of us, for we should always dream, but thank goodness for those who come back down to Earth after day-dreaming about piloting the 'Falcon' to Kessel in under 10 parsecs and once again become our diligent C-3PO's.

I wanted to be Han Solo too. Sadly I've become closer to Jabba the Hutt only without the prestige and power.

Susan Arendt:

CantFaketheFunk:

Ewan McGregor is fantastic, period, the end. And to be fair, there is much to enjoy about the prequels. There is also much to loathe.

Yes. I've never seen Ewan McGregor in a role I didn't love.

IzisviAziria:

Susan Arendt:

CantFaketheFunk:

Yes. I've never seen Ewan McGregor in a role I didn't love.

That's a good point actually!

As a kid I always wanted to be Luke, I mean lightsabers with force powers would be so cool, but as I have grown older I am now more endeared to Han Solo. I also really like C3PO as he adds a bit of humour to the adventure.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here