Drawn By Pain: Episode Eight

Episode Eight

When past and present collide, enter at your own risk.

awesome i,m just shouting she needs to face her fears.where do you get your music soundtrack,download,or compose it yourself?

Liked this one alot. I, for some reason, can not watch any videos on the escapist for some reason.I had to goto the drawn by pain website to watch. I think this ep. has some of the best graphics so far. ok but for Serious if I saw a girl run out of house saying run I don't know but I would run; thats just me. saw the webby awards video you did cool. and I also found another site called DBPTV saw the commit you left."Up all night pizza for breakfast. The vampire has returned." come on that is a hint that a vampire movie is in the works right. No, oh well. But if there was you know where to come right. Riiiiiiiight (sigh to myself: this will never happen). Oh well great job I guess I have to wait till i get home to see commentary. later. Dante_Alucard=dracula_et nad.

sorry for double post

I hope i dont get banned

my computer cut off and it made the enter button hit a bunch of times. (as I do a jig to get off of stage.)

HEADSHOT

I found a nice definition for Emily's powers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulpa

Another great episode, but I return with relentless critisism (mwhuahauhaha). The music choice during the "memory" scene didn't really work. I understand that you wanted a mystical feel but it sounded like a cheerfull exploration into the unknown, like in a Disney film.

I find that the Dad sort of over-acts, he doesn't really look angry but like someone who is trying to look angry.

Nipple man's fighting didn't look that great either.

But the awesomeness of the memory scene does make up these errors! Go Psychobitch, slice them imaganary monsters up!

Copter400:
I found a nice definition for Emily's powers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulpa

That's an excellent find there my friend.

Xwii360:
HEADSHOT

OH YEAH!

sammyfreak:
Another great episode, but I return with relentless critisism (mwhuahauhaha). The music choice during the "memory" scene didn't really work. I understand that you wanted a mystical feel but it sounded like a cheerfull exploration into the unknown, like in a Disney film.

I find that the Dad sort of over-acts, he doesn't really look angry but like someone who is trying to look angry.

Nipple man's fighting didn't look that great either.

But the awesomeness of the memory scene does make up these errors! Go Psychobitch, slice them imaganary monsters up!

Thx man- glad you enjoyed it. As for criticism - points taken. Always happy to hear your thoughts :)

-Jes

Garetex:
awesome i,m just shouting she needs to face her fears.where do you get your music soundtrack,download,or compose it yourself?

They shall be faced! As for soundtrack - most of it is done by several different artists. They are working on a soundtrack now so I will keep ya posted.

Another great episode.

I can't wait to see where the series goes from here.

EDIT: I'm erasing the original post. I can't bring myself to be that mean to people who clearly love what they're doing this much. A long, angry diatribe isn't going to do anybody any good, and as much as I dislike the show, I have nothing but respect for the people who took the effort to make it. I'll keep the original post and if anybody really cares, I can PM it to them--for those who don't know, it was basically a very long, comprehensive review of the show.

RentCavalier:
*Sigh*

My brain hurts. I just watched these eight episodes in conjunction, because I'm bound and determined to give this show a decent shake and not just judge it on...um...its merits. So, eight episodes, and I just can't take it anymore.

I will say in closing that the goal of making something is to get a reaction. Judging from your novel (in which I only read the first 8 paragraphs - jk!) the goal was certainly achieved - I appreciate you taking a look irregardless if it works for you or not.

-Jes

RentCavalier:
EDIT: I'm erasing the original post. I can't bring myself to be that mean to people who clearly love what they're doing this much.

LOL I REPLIED!!!

It's all good man - don't worry - I've heard MUCH worse. For some people it just doesn't work :)

-Jes

RentCavalier:
EDIT: I'm erasing the original post. I can't bring myself to be that mean to people who clearly love what they're doing this much. A long, angry diatribe isn't going to do anybody any good, and as much as I dislike the show, I have nothing but respect for the people who took the effort to make it. I'll keep the original post and if anybody really cares, I can PM it to them--for those who don't know, it was basically a very long, comprehensive review of the show.

I'm still wondering why we haven't seen a flood of DBP reviews in the User Reviews forum.

Hmm. I wonder... I Googled Drawn by Pain and found a SomethingAwful topic somewhere along the line. Have you guys seen the feedback in this topic yet?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2861825

"The script seems to have been written by the same people who write buffy fan fiction, as it increasingly becomes clear that every female character is "good" and every male character is "bad"."

"I watched the third episode. It's her fault she ended up getting a knife pulled on her, you don't lead on some random guy at night, in an enclosed space while dressed like a whore, then insult the size of his penis. Especially if you know you can just MS Paint yourself a sword and slice the poor fucker. That's just looking for someone to cut because you're a stinkyhole. lovely storyline."

I hope that isn't the case - well, the stuff about "women = good, men = bad" (As with stuff like the Noir anime), as I hate it when potentially good stories are ruined by what must be author rage. I don't want to get into DbP if it's like that, as I inherited from my mum the inability to put down anything I start until I finish it.

Blayze:
Hmm. I wonder... I Googled Drawn by Pain and found a SomethingAwful topic somewhere along the line. Have you guys seen the feedback in this topic yet?

"The script seems to have been written by the same people who write buffy fan fiction, as it increasingly becomes clear that every female character is "good" and every male character is "bad"."

"I watched the third episode. It's her fault she ended up getting a knife pulled on her, you don't lead on some random guy at night, in an enclosed space while dressed like a whore, then insult the size of his penis. Especially if you know you can just MS Paint yourself a sword and slice the poor fucker. That's just looking for someone to cut because you're a stinkyhole. lovely storyline."

I hope that isn't the case - well, the stuff about "women = good, men = bad" (As with stuff like the Noir anime), as I hate it when potentially good stories are ruined by what must be author rage. I don't want to get into DbP if it's like that, as I inherited from my mum the inability to put down anything I start until I finish it.

I doubt it's author rage.

I mean, Emily grew up with an abusive father who killed her mother and only friend, so its only natural that, from her point of view, she sees most men as antagonistic.

I don't know, just a thought.

Hey, I haven't seen DbP yet so I only know the bits and pieces I've picked up in passing. I ought to get around to checking if there's more stuff on SA about this, anyway...

Blayze:

Personally - anytime I come across a site called "Something Awful" I know the reviews are going to be well "awful" and that's cool as that's the style of the site. I also always expect YouTube to be the worst place in the world to get someones attention as well. As far as I'm concerned - I prefer people who want to find something different that they might enjoy. If they go looking for Zero Punctuation (which is great btw) and find Drawn by Pain they are always going to say WTF make it go faster!! WHY ISN'T IT FUNNY!!?? YOU'RE GAY! etc. Let's face it the style of culture now days is to hate first ask questions later (it's why reality shows, punked, tabloid journalism, etc are popular). It's more fun to tear down then to enjoy these days - but that's all good nontheless.

The point is I wanted to make something serious with a message behind it and am glad to reach the people I do who enjoy it very much and get something out of it.

Those who don't - it's all good there are plenty of things to watch out there and I wish them luck in finding something that is for them.

-Jes

Blayze:

And in response to that review. The main character a woman is filled with all kinds of moral ambiguity and therefor FAR from good. But if you glance at something quickly or make up your mind before watching it - then to me - the review is more about the reviewer than the piece itself. But that's just me. I still listen to what people say - but I always consider the source and reason for saying it.

Blayze:
Hey, I haven't seen DbP yet so I only know the bits and pieces I've picked up in passing. I ought to get around to checking if there's more stuff on SA about this, anyway...

The best way to judge something isn't to listen to what others have to say. It's to make up your own mind on what you think. Hope you have a chance to take a look. Just my two cents.

Blayze:

Hmmm, interesting, thanks for finding this. Bear in mind that this is the style of Something Awful, they harshly or playfully bash everything. Well, then again, that's what the internet is all about. Based on my experience on the site over the years, this is actually tame. Usually they'll end a review saying something like "I had to force myself to eat raccoon feces and push my grandmother into a pit filled with fire ants in order to recreate the feeling that this movie gave me. -8/-10."

Just as a side note to those who have not watched all the episodes, and in order I might add.

Do not judge this series by others perceptions...make the decision yourself.

Also, do not judge just by the first few episodes. Your opinion about the characters will change as things progress.

I really didn't like Emily in the beginning, but as i found out later, that was an intentional plan on the director's part. There is alot of character development as the episodes progress, and you will find that the dislike that you feel at first for Emily is replaced by a more compassionate view.

I think the development was brilliant myself.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here