Stolen Pixels #1: Surreal Tournament

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Stolen Pixels #1: Surreal Tournament

In the inaugural installment of Stolen Pixels, Shamus Young ponders ping-pong, the story of Unreal Tournament 3 and other useless things.

God, they weren't lying when they said the main characters had ridiculous bisceps.

Isn't it ironic that escapist is adding a webcomic after ZP's webcomic review?

Hehe, funny and point well made. Welcome to the site.

I approve.

It's not a flag, it's a "Field Lattice Generator"

They'll change it at once to correct a horrible, HORRIBLE mistake! Thank you Vaynes! Thank you for saving this webcomic from total destruction!

Awesome, I like it. Is this going to be a regular Escapist thing? If so, how regular?

Eagle Est1986:
Awesome, I like it. Is this going to be a regular Escapist thing? If so, how regular?

Twice a week. :)

shatnershaman:
Isn't it ironic that escapist is adding a webcomic after ZP's webcomic review?

Fortunately, this webcomic doesn't follow the stereotypical ones that Yahtzee critisized.
Plus, this one is actually funny, and is more than just a silly copy/paste job, it seems.

Or, in other words: looks very promising.

I wanted to mention that some people might recognize one of Shamus's other comics, DM of the Rings.

As long as we don't see any miscarriages in the near future I give this two thumbs up.

Saphatorael:
Fortunately, this webcomic doesn't follow the stereotypical ones that Yahtzee critisized

lol oneS? Plural? No. Yahtzee was critisizing CAD the WHOLE TIME.
I miss the original UT the story line was good enough to work and beleivable. It was a tournament (unlike what it is now) where people joined up, killed each other and respawned and the winner won money and they had a brief background on each character that made them believable

Love it! Can't wait to see more of it!

Virgil:
I wanted to mention that some people might recognize one of Shamus's other comics, DM of the Rings.

As well as the excellent but sadly unfinished Chainmail Bikini. I enjoyed the guy's comics enough that I've been keeping up with his blog. It's usually great, but he's been sucked into the world of MMO's recently, and if you have no interest in them then there isn't much for you.

On the comic, I admit I take issue with saying Ping-Pong having a story feels silly. I feel Ping-Pong can be quite invigorating.

Susan Arendt:

Eagle Est1986:

Twice a week. :)

Awesomeness, I think this could now be my favourite website!

ccesarano:

Virgil:

As well as the excellent but sadly unfinished Chainmail Bikini. I enjoyed the guy's comics enough that I've been keeping up with his blog. It's usually great, but he's been sucked into the world of MMO's recently, and if you have no interest in them then there isn't much for you.

On the comic, I admit I take issue with saying Ping-Pong having a story feels silly. I feel Ping-Pong can be quite invigorating.

Chainmail Bikini was the one I saw first, then when it was abruptly ended, I went to check out his blog and saw DM of The Rings, loved it, been keeping up with his blog ever since. Glad to see that his most recent comic is off to a good start.

DamienHell:

Saphatorael:
Fortunately, this webcomic doesn't follow the stereotypical ones that Yahtzee critisized

lol oneS? Plural? No. Yahtzee was critisizing CAD the WHOLE TIME.

Well, he was also just farting on Penny Arcade a few times.
And Fanboys also fits the '2 Guys, 1 hawt Girl that ends up being main guy's girlfriend'-type webcomic bill. (but not the wall of text thing. Plus Fanboys has at least a few funny gags)

Hey, first comic and already a dig at my main non-videogame hobby. LARPing's not so bad, as long as you stay away from the people who drag the in-character drama into out-of-character drama. And generally stick to hitting things.

And no, not with foam balls while screaming "LIGHTNING BOLT, LIGHTNING BOLT". Even LARPers think that's incredibly stupid.

On topic, good point about attaching plot to games. Narrative just isn't always needed. Hell, even at my local LARP we often end up dropping the RP and it's just "CIRCLE OF TREACHERY! Everyone has five hits, all vs all, any weapon, go!"

And that's how games like Unreal Tournament should be. Hit and kill and capture the flag and have fun.

Is this comic going to focus on Unreal, or is it going to be any game? (is there a name for still-frame comic machinima? like this and Concerned.)

I loled in a somewhat sophisticated way.

To answer some questions:

1) I'll be making fun of many games, not just UT3. How could anyone limit themselves to a single game when so many of them suck on such a spectacular scale? This is gruesome work, not unlike exterminating vermin.

2) Field LAttice Generator: Is stupid and will be ridiculed in due time. (Friday.) Would that my scythe could strike more quickly.

3) Someone praised me for not making a cut & paste comic. True: My crime is vandalism, not recycling.

4) Thanks for reading.

Also: I wrote the bit about ping-pong long before Paint the Line began. Just in case someone thought I was going for some sort of clumsy tie-in: I'm not. Just an odd coincidence.

I am a giant fanboy of Shamus Young's work, and followed both DM of the Rings and Chainmail Bikini religiously. Him writing comics for us makes me very happy!

pretty good, fairly funny, intelligent, however it kinda felt too complex, like each joke shoulda been its own strip. but all in all pretty good and im excited to see this not fail, like drawn by pain or video game theatre or most of the new content on this site that isnt press b to jump or de rez

Thank you very, very much for not trying to work in the colonel sounding like a rap artist. I never got the spectacular array of accents they used in that game. They were only Scottish and South African short of a complete set!
Good job.

hehehe that was funny and a point well made

I enjoyed it, much like the high quality content I expect from the Escapist.

Fire Daemon:
As long as we don't see any miscarriages in the near future I give this two thumbs up.

No Field LAttice Generator pregnancy scare? I mean come ON, isn't that the best way to amass drama for those weird artist ritual things?

As I clicked on the latest announcement trumpeting the arrival of the latest issue, I noticed the extra paragraph at the top announcing a webcomic as the newest addition to The Escapist's media menagerie.

With trepidation, I clicked. I saw. I chuckled.

As my smile faded, I read the sidebar to the right, working my way towards an italicized paragraph. "Shamus Young, eh? That sounds awfully familiar" I thought as I skimmed the last bit. Before I finished the second sentence I realized "Thats the guy who did DM Of The Rings!"

The editors of The Escapist are wise. If only they'd bring back the beautiful widescreen format (and the PDFs).

I've always enjoyed your work Shamus. Now I just have one more reason besides ZP to visit The Escapist. Keep up the good work.

Good to see Escapist caught on to Shamus Young's genius: poking fun at games with images and words...Waaaait a second.
Note: I don't in any way think Shamus is a Yahtzee rip-off. I'm happy as a fanboy who's had his choices validated by others; Twenty Sided is my favourite blog. Go Shamus!

ZP is a good start, SP is an excellent follow up!

More of these, please. :D

Note to editors: Shamus being here gave me a reason to actually register, thanks for bringing him on. :)

NobleBear:
Note to editors: Shamus being here gave me a reason to actually register, thanks for bringing him on. :)

Same here. Shamus' style and humour will keep everyone coming back!

The dude in the battle skirt is Blake, isn't it? That guy has not stopped being a whiny pain in the ass since the first Unreal Tournament.

Very enjoyable comic and an interesting review of that portion of UT3.

Looking forward to reading more.

I couldn't see a skirt o.O

"You capture flags" I don't, I just dual pistol and flak the hell out of the opposition, near a flag.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here