Videogame Theater: Defenders of the Universe

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Defenders of the Universe

The Defenders of the Universe unite to take on all comers in this hip-hop tribute to classic arcade space shooters.

I want my six minutes back.

there seems to be an interesting lack of videogames in this theatre of videogames

Just awful, so at least you met your quota.

OK, thanxs for that. Now all you have to do is run up to me, kick me in the nuts and tell me my dog is dead. That would have been better then this. I didn't comment on the last one because like I said I would not say anything negative until you got 20 good comments so I never got a chance to say anything. Now, though, I can not let this go any more this sucks just stop it. I must say that I mega loath you because hate is not a strong enough word. This will most likely be my last comment on this show because I tried to give it a chance but my life is way to short to waste on this show anymore. So stop trying and I am Not Alone when I say this.

God:
This sucks stop it.

(He really didn't say this, but I know he's thinking it)

I'm surprised the local brown-noser isn't present to defend this 'MASTERPIECE OF ESCAPST CINEMA 5 STARZ!'.

Saying that, I enjoyed it. A rap about Defenders of the Universe is nothing less than heroic.

Besides, its muppets!

Muppets!

I thought this one was great! especially Robotron's verse.

I for one like anytime I can see puppets have sex on screen.

Videogame Theater:

The Defenders of the Universe unite to take on all comers in this hip-hop tribute to classic arcade space shooters.

The tagline alone makes me not want to watch it. Be more funny!

Drawnbypain has the right idea, but this is just unfunny.

it was good up until the rapping >__< I've heard enough raps on old school games. This is really the only idea I haven't seen done, and it could have been done good at that. But the lack of talent on this show came through to ruin the idea.

Oh, and Crank Yankers was funny until the Comedy Central "over sexualizing" that every CC show goes though. And surprise surprise, there's puppet humping in this one. :P

drawnbypain:
I for one like anytime I can see puppets have sex on screen.

Team America anyone =D.

Saying that this was the arm-pit fart that destroyed the internet is a bit harsh, but I must say this is quite horrible. Maybe if you worked more on the situational humor and less on the fuckshitcockballs humor.

Interesting... they've stopped being full of jerk characters and are now just blah.
I guess that's a step in the right direction. Maybe.

This video wasn't that great, but it wasn't nearly as bad as previous efforts. When they started rapping it sort of reminded me of that scene in Office Space where they "kill" the copy machine while gangsta rap is playing.

I'll give it an A for effort, but a C- for execution.

I didn't mind this actually, I thought the rap was quite well written, especially the last verse. Having said that, there is still a crippling lack of teh funnay, which I assume is what the series is about (a pretty poor assumption considering I don't think I've ever laughed at this series).

I just watched a clip from Coin-op TV and the guests were the creators of Video Game Theater. It seems that VGT is apparently a big thing on MTV Europe. I can understand that. I don't know how MTV Europe differs from MTV in America...but if it's even remotely similar, VGT certainly belongs there. These short, un-funny, and sometimes offensive videos fit perfectly as filler material between mindless reality shows and videos from braindead rockstars.

I had a small glimmer of hope that eventually an episode of VGT would be released that would prove me wrong and blow me out of my boxer shorts with its brilliant comedy and puppet mastery. I won't hold my breath waiting for that stroke of comic genius anymore. Go back to MTV where you belong. You'll find that the crowds there aren't nearly as hostile as we are toward talentless performers.

This was just horrible. It was insanely annoying. More thought on content and keeping the audience, even slighty, encaptured would be good.

Sorry guys, but that didn't float my boat. Maybe next time ;)

I don't want to sound rude, but I didn't like this, either.

I think the basic idea is wrong tbh. I don't think anyone finds 5 minutes of plain talking funny - not even if it's from Pacman.

The rap had its moments, but this is yet another episode of not funny in this series. The VGT concept as a whole has potential, but it should have been handed over to people who know how to write comedy.

Props to The Escapist for giving this a chance, but this is strike three (the Donkey Kong episode was a foul ball - it connected for about the first half, then swerved off into suck). Dump VGT.

I actually liked this - it wasn't that funny, but I got the impression it wasn't aiming at that. It's an affectionate tribute, not a parody.

Although the characters acted less like dick holes then the donkeykong and pacman episodes, was 1 reference to space invaders, asteroids and possibly defender really a good enough excuse for a random as hell rap video episode? Well since it's mostly displeased comments here I would say no. If I didn't know better I'd say a pattern was emerging here with the comments for each episode too =P

I guess it's getting better, but we're still not even close.
Please, Escapist! You won a Webby. You can do better than this crap.

I loved it once again.

It's cracking me up that there are a half dozen posters who Keep Coming Back to this series just to say "this sucked... again" It's like they chug a glass of bleach and then have to take another drink (and another and another) just so they can say "bleh."

Over.

And over.

And over again.

You don't like it?

That's cool.

There's other good stuff on this site.

I think a big part of the hating on this series is that the topic of videogames are almost peripheral. In addition, most of the videogame references (if they are made at all) are to videogame characters or series that most of the gamers on this board are simply not familiar with. I mean how many here have ever played Zaxxon or Berserk?

Thing I liked most about this episode is that videogames are thrown entirely out the window and by the way, the hip hop was damn good too. That didn't hurt.

This series gets gamers' panties in a twist primarily because it's pretty clear there's a level of indifference (even contempt, which is fine by me. I love videogames, but I also can take a joke. Even one made at my expense) to videogames in the material. The episode starts off leading one to believe it might be about the old Williams arcade classic Defender, but then just trails off into a profane and raunchy hip hop video as if purely to stick a finger in the eye of uptight gamers.

This is similar to Halo Minute which was done by Channel 101 talent. They intentionally mishandled, mispronounced, and misreferenced the Halo source material (pronouncing Bungie as Bun-gey and "Major Chief") and the comments on YouTube were just livid. People didn't get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buIi4_jDjxM

Brilliant.

Just keep rolling it, fellows.

Let the Haters hate.

Harry Tatcher:
It's cracking me up that there are a half dozen posters who Keep Coming Back to this series just to say "this sucked... again" It's like they chug a glass of bleach and then have to take another drink (and another and another) just so they can say "bleh."

Just as you have the audacity to "keep coming back" and saying that you love every single episode, we feel the same desire to express our hate for a genuinely awful addition to this website. VGT does not belong here. It is not a brilliant work of satire. The (non-existant) humor is not sophisticated and it doesn't fly over our heads. Our hate doesn't stem from us not getting the show.

Harry Tatcher:
I think a big part of the hating on this series is that the topic of videogames are almost peripheral. In addition, most of the videogame references (if they are made at all) are to videogame characters or series that most of the gamers on this board are simply not familiar with. I mean how many here have ever played Zaxxon or Berserk?

This series gets gamers' panties in a twist primarily because it's pretty clear there's a level of indifference (even contempt, which is fine by me. I love videogames, but I also can take a joke. Even one made at my expense) to videogames in the material. The episode starts off leading one to believe it might be about the old Williams arcade classic Defender, but then just trails off into a profane and raunchy hip hop video as if purely to stick a finger in the eye of uptight gamers.

I can't speak for other posters here, but my problem with this series is not its "level of indifference". Point me in the direction of a good joke made at my expensive and I'll probably laugh at it. VGT, however, is not such an example. It's dull, slow, and at times it's downright offensive.

If you love it, more power to you. But you are the minority on this website. VGT is a successful show on MTV Europe, and that is exactly the way it should have stayed. Keep the pollution contained within MTV please.

Harry Tatcher:
Let the Haters hate.

Thanks, we will.

Hey, I've just had a thought, Scott comes on here to defend plainly horrible videos, that we watch just to insult him. HE'S UWE BOLL!

Overall, I have rather enjoyed VGT. It can be crude at times, but I always come back to see the next episode.

The Robotron rap was the best yet. Keep it coming!

So...how much are they paying you guys to make this crap? Because whatever it is, it's too much. Just stop trying.

TomNook:
I want my six minutes back.

Amen! Seriously, stop.

sirdanrhodes:
Hey, I've just had a thought, Scott comes on here to defend plainly horrible videos, that we watch just to insult him. HE'S UWE BOLL!

(*GASP*)

Well, that does explain a lot.

Harry Tatcher:
I loved it once again.

Over.

And over.

And over again.

You don't like it?

That's cool.

There's other good stuff on this site.

Thing I liked most about this episode is that videogames are thrown entirely out the window and by the way, the hip hop was damn good too. That didn't hurt.

This is similar to Halo Minute which was done by Channel 101 talent. They intentionally mishandled, mispronounced, and misreferenced the Halo source material (pronouncing Bungie as Bun-gey and "Major Chief") and the comments on YouTube were just livid. People didn't get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buIi4_jDjxM

Brilliant.

Just keep rolling it, fellows.

Let the Haters hate.

Thanks Harry! Interesting thoughts, hadn't thought about it that way before. Yeah, the response to those Halo Minutes was pretty hilarious, almost as funny as the videos. Glad you're here and of course, glad you loved "Defenders."

Thanks also to Goseman, Meshakhad, Melaisis, SteinFaust, and drawnbypain - and anyone else I forgot - glad you guys liked the episode! And Nadsat, props to you for still managing to find a way to insult us even while grudgingly admitting that you found "Defenders" to be well-written. On this board, we'll take what we can get! Same for the rest of you - no matter what your opinion (or how many times you repeat it), thanks for still taking the time to watch and, as Harry pointed out, continuing to come back.

Yes, VGT has been on MTV Europe (started with MTV Italy, to be specific -- though I don't know I'd call it "a big thing" there). The original pilot ("Pac-Man: The Insatiable Hunger") got such a cool response on the internets that they sought us out and let us make more episodes for them. One of my favorite shows, "Sifl and Olly," started out on MTV in England, as well as "Wondershowzen" on MTV2 -- so we were very excited to be part of that world. And of course we were then thrilled when approached by the Escapist, too. A few episodes of the show have also screened a couple places (GenCon last year, and the Knitting Factory in Hollywood); just yesterday, we were asked by a small video festival in New York City to screen "Donkey Kong vs. Mario" next month, after they saw it here - which is pretty cool. (Apparently, they didn't read the comments - let's nobody clue them in, OK?)

And Sammyfreak, special thanks for continuing to register your opinion without being needlessly hostile or adversarial -- here's hoping the next episode floats your boat!

*holds thumbs for Chess next time*

It could be a massive epic of racial conflict on a checkered landscape!

I wouldn't watch that again if someone payed me to.
I'm going to go give myself a labotomy with hedge cliipers.
I'm going to get banned for saying this, aren't I? Russ Pitts i'll be a good boy.

It's true.

I keep coming back.

That's because I like the content.

Coming back to something you like strikes me as rational.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here