Zero Punctuation: LEGO Indy

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

About the ads at the end, I find them annoying because my Internet isn't that fast. So after watching a ZP-review and leaving the tab on (for example, to show a part of it to my brother) and then proceeding to watch another video, means the another video doesn't load fast enough because the ads after ZP are still loading.

Not that big of a thing though, more of a minor annoyance.

Inriri:
I'm gonna find you and steal your hat one day.

For me, Lego Indiana Jones shares the same fun as Crackdown: Pissing off your friend by repeatedly blowing him up with a rocket launcher

Could you please tell the name of the video where your avatar is from? I've forgotten it.

Ian Dorsch:
Yeah, it was created specifically for ZP. I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to comment beyond that, so I won't.

I appreciate the feedback either way. I know it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, and the ZP crowd is nothing if not vocal about their opinions. I'm just happy that a decent percentage of posters likes it. If I hit 50% I figure I'm doing alright.

Ah hello, Ian. If you appreciate feedback and (hopefully) constructive criticism, then hold onto your hat if you've got one.

I won't say the theme is bad. I'll leave that to the "OMG dis theme suxx0rz" crowd. If anything I would say it doesn't really fit ZP. Granted this is an entirely subjective opinion, but a hard rock guitar and the fancy-pants editing is... let's call it different from the more low-key open visuals (I think they're called "cards" in the industry, aren't they?)

I realize you had little, if anything to do with the visuals, but in case that guy is reading, I'll say that I preferred the static images on the titles to all the movement with no purpose. The opening for ZP now looks like the opening to any other internet video.

And similarly, the opening theme sounds like the opening to any other internet video, especially any with a rock guitar opening. Your cryptic comment leaves me speculating that this might have been a last minute rush job thanks to a law suit of something. Maybe not. I suppose it doesn't matter from my end, does it.

But, as I said, the theme is bad so much as I'm not sure if it fits the show. I'm sure everyone else has their own half-baked opinion on this, but theirs are most likely wrong. Were it me, I would have gone for something slower, softer and low-key. The Phantom Hourglass review opened with "Slow Boat To China" which I think is a better sort of piece to open the show. Yahtzee's speedy delivery would be contrasted with the more relaxed theme.

I don't know. Just one douche's opinion, I guess.

yet again another entertaining opinion, I don't think the intro music fits though, nothing wrong with it, its just too raw in comparison to the well mannered, rationally delivered rage.

Boopsiekins:

ThaBenMan:

Ian Dorsch:
Glad to see that some of you guys are liking the new intro music, anyway. :)

Don't listen to the whiners, man - you did a great job.

I guess I should say that it blows ass comparatively. On its own it's fine, but we basically went from fuck-awesome music selections to mere adequacy. It's a fall, not a lateral shift.

I got interested in The Kinks because of these intros. I could have gone my whole life without having heard "Village Green Preservation Society." :(

I also greatly like The Kinks, but unfortunately lawyers also like...making money out of copyright infingement. Yahtzee's success means he has to be a bit more...professional in his choice of music, which I understand.
Anyway, his choice of music was always more based on the title of the song rather than the relevance of the actual music to the review.

Landslide:
Ads pay salaries. Without ads, there are no salaries, and therefore no content. Essentially what you're asking is for us to stop paying our contributors and staff. That's not something we want to do, and I don't think it's something you'd want us to do either.

I wholly understand what you're saying. I just preferred the old method where the ads/trailers/whatever were a separate file that played after the feature. Also, although I've only admittedly skimmed them (wondering if there's anything relevant hiding in there), they only seem to advertise other Escapist stuff. So... I'm not sure how it pays the bills if it's all in-house.

Arbitrary13:

Landslide:
Ads pay salaries. Without ads, there are no salaries, and therefore no content. Essentially what you're asking is for us to stop paying our contributors and staff. That's not something we want to do, and I don't think it's something you'd want us to do either.

I wholly understand what you're saying. I just preferred the old method where the ads/trailers/whatever were a separate file that played after the feature. Also, although I've only admittedly skimmed them (wondering if there's anything relevant hiding in there), they only seem to advertise other Escapist stuff. So... I'm not sure how it pays the bills if it's all in-house.

Because it encourages people to buy the merchandise, which makes them money.

PLEASE go back to the old intros! The just had so much more charm. Honestly, because of that I found it hard to laugh at any of the jokes in the review.

Jack Spencer Jr:
I won't say the theme is bad. I'll leave that to the "OMG dis theme suxx0rz" crowd. If anything I would say it doesn't really fit ZP. Granted this is an entirely subjective opinion, but a hard rock guitar and the fancy-pants editing is... let's call it different from the more low-key open visuals (I think they're called "cards" in the industry, aren't they?)

I realize you had little, if anything to do with the visuals, but in case that guy is reading, I'll say that I preferred the static images on the titles to all the movement with no purpose. The opening for ZP now looks like the opening to any other internet video.

And similarly, the opening theme sounds like the opening to any other internet video, especially any with a rock guitar opening. Your cryptic comment leaves me speculating that this might have been a last minute rush job thanks to a law suit of something. Maybe not. I suppose it doesn't matter from my end, does it.

I appreciate the constructive criticism. I don't even mind the OMG suxorz crowd. We knew there would be a wide range of opinions on this, and I honestly expected there to more flames then there are.

My reluctance to comment just comes from the fact that I'm simply a hired gun on this project, not the producer or the creator of the series. It would be unprofessional to make myself a ZP spokesman when I'm not a decision maker, that's all. I can definitely say, though, that it wasn't a last minute rush job. :)

The_root_of_all_evil:

Landslide:

Arbitrary13:
I really wish the Escapist would remove those rotten integrated ads at the end of the feature.

Hrrrm...that's a very poor argument. There are many ways to advertise and gain money without having specific tailored ads.
I'd be tempted to say that no-one who watches ZP doesn't know about De-Rez et al; and those that don't, probably don't want to.

As you may have noticed, many sites embed ZP, and as a result, their readers may have no idea about the other content offered here. The trailers are designed to let non-Escapist regulars know that there are many, many good reasons to come here.

The incredibly good looking staff, for example. Also, cookies.

As for the idea that "those that don't probably don't want to," how on earth does that follow logically? I encounter new things that enjoy greatly practically every day -- I didn't know about them before, but I'm glad I do now. I'm sure you've got one or two examples like that from your own history, too.

the review was good, not my favorite but that doesnt really matter

as for your new format i like the music choice and set up, but miss the songs hints on how you thought the game would be and i shudder at th thought of not discovering butterfingers through one of your older videos

lastly, the movie review at the end was priceless! i laughed so hard my recently created wisdom teeth holes started to bleed

Opacic:

Okay, fine, in Temple you have a guy's heart being ripped out whilst still alive but that pales in logical comparison to surviving a nuclear explosion in a lead lined fridge and then STARING at the mushroom cloud merely (probably) a kilometer away.

Well, it may be surpassed in the near future as the most ridiculous escapade in movies history by Angels and Demons, when Robert Langdon jumps off an helicopter using a car sunscreen as a makeshift parachute, but I'm not sure. :)

Ooo, new opening sequence. Nice.

I wasn't gonna buy that game, but now I might. Thanks, Yahtzee!

"A new intro theme? OMG Oh Noes! Change!"

Anyway I liked it, prefer the original irony of the intros but needs must.

Did we really need a pretentious new opening?

I actually liked the previous intro better. The new one doesn't look more professional at all so much as it looks like the introduction to a video game; likely, a bad video game. The previous one was clean and didn't look like it was compensating for something.

I can understand not wanting to rip off copyrighted music, though; you are a professional now. I'm not a big fan of what you did end up choosing though. Maybe something more classical would be better?

Actually, I thought you jumped the shark with your webcomics review. =)

I have to ask, did you know this site was beginning a webcomic BEFORE you made that review or after?

Also, Indy 4 was just a rumor that never transpired. The series ended with Connery and Ford whooping ass.

The webcomic and 2 reviews before that were weak, dude. Gotta get angrier! This one wasn't bad. I want to see you play Ninja Gaiden 2 and review it. I can already hear your camera comments...

Susan Arendt:

As you may have noticed, many sites embed ZP, and as a result, their readers may have no idea about the other content offered here. The trailers are designed to let non-Escapist regulars know that there are many, many good reasons to come here.

Hrrrm. I'm still in a number of minds over this. If, as you say, they're being used on other sites, then surely the other sites would just chop off the end bit? Just seems a little, well, "Butlins".

As for the idea that "those that don't probably don't want to," how on earth does that follow logically? I encounter new things that enjoy greatly practically every day -- I didn't know about them before, but I'm glad I do now. I'm sure you've got one or two examples like that from your own history, too.

Well, ZP for a start, but let's take a quick look at this week's.
6m37s.
3 second Escapist Ad as well as the splash screen.
4min20secs of review. (7 seconds poodlerock guitar)
30sec review of IJ.
5sec more ads for escapist t shirts
1min 20secs of more ads. (And the fact it's usually for those cringeworthy efforts doesn't help : If it's on the back of ZP, it should be something that's at least related, surely?)

So, without the use of a pie-chart, because I ate all the pies, we're talking 1/3 of the episode dedicated to shouting how good the Escapist is. And even though it's a great place, even Nickelodeon on the runup to Xmas didn't have THAT many adverts. Well....

Most of the people I know who watch ZP but don't come here apart from that just switch off just after they've paused the Outro message.

PICS PLZ! and if you include a free e-cookie with next weeks issue, I'll retract my moans. :)

The new opening is well done in itself, but kinda ruins the whole ZP feel I (and obviously many others) got.

The incredible wit choices for opening and closing songs were just the cherry on top of a delicious ZP pie. And I will miss this cherry ;_;'

But well, live's gotta go on.

The review itself was funny and witty. As the intro once was :'(

I did not quite get the Movie Review, since I couldnt interpret the first few gestures, but then again I am a german and so I am probably too stupid to do so.

I miss the music but its Yahtzee's show so thats his call. I completely agree about there only being 3 Indy movies. I like to pretend I live in a world where the Crystal Skull movie was never made. I mean *spoilers* at the end of the movie they found a bunch of alien skeletons and an interdimensional portal inside an old ruin that was really a spaceship. Now why does that sound familiar. Hmm... something to do with Kurt Russell comes to mind back from the days when Harrison Ford was fit to do more than lope around pretending he's not older than Methuselah's grandma and trying not to break a hip. Nothing against grandpa Ford, he was great back in the day, but it was time to hang up the whip years ago, unless he found some kinky old lady at the nursing home who's into that sort of stuff.

LEGOs, however, are still awesome.

Hrm, I think the new intro theme gives the series a small ounce of professionalism which just might counter-balance the gleeful self-indulgence that Yahtzee already admitted to getting from reviewing any game he wanted. As long as he sticks with the latter I would be a liar if I said I didn't approve. Keep your "charming" attitude, devilish good looks (Uncomfortable vibe, ooooooh,) and your original art design and you'll be kosher with me. I can't really say much about the review itself because I don't give two shits about the game itself, but the blunt presentation of opinions is still present so I guess it passes. Well I don't know why I've gone on rambling for this long since I have a better chance of finding a dish (Stares at his bowl of cereal) that returns itself to the sink then for Yahtzee to actually reading this, but eh, good day!

I think we can all agree that LEGO on it's own is cool; it's only it's bastard lovechilds that start to get a little thumbless.

excellent about time another rly good review came up

Susan Arendt:

There is good looking staff here? Where!? No wait I don't care about the staff where are the cookies!

It's not jumping the shark, but it was cool how the title screens were formerly part of the joke. I remember getting ready for another "WOW COOL AWESOME IT'S HUGE" review of Mass Effect, then hearing "A Little Less Conversation" and honestly laughing out loud (which is rare for anything on the internet). At least dump the nu-metal song, it doesn't really fit with the whole thing.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Well, ZP for a start, but let's take a quick look at this week's.
6m37s.
3 second Escapist Ad as well as the splash screen.
4min20secs of review. (7 seconds poodlerock guitar)
30sec review of IJ.
5sec more ads for escapist t shirts
1min 20secs of more ads. (And the fact it's usually for those cringeworthy efforts doesn't help : If it's on the back of ZP, it should be something that's at least related, surely?)

So, without the use of a pie-chart, because I ate all the pies, we're talking 1/3 of the episode dedicated to shouting how good the Escapist is. And even though it's a great place, even Nickelodeon on the runup to Xmas didn't have THAT many adverts. Well....

Yeah, but- it's all at the end. The actual content is over and done, you're not going to miss anything by skipping the ads except the ads themselves. I just accept that the review is a few minutes shorter than the timer says it is.

I think the new intro is just a tactic to drive people to register at The Escapist. If that's the case, it worked.

I hate, hate, hate the new intro music. You've replaced the old tongue-in-cheek musical variety with marketability, the bad kind. If I wanted crap designed to appease mass-audiences and copyright holders alike, I'd be watching TV, not spending time on the internet.

When Screwattack changed the intro music, I hated it, but thought, "Okay, it's a change, maybe it'll grow on me." It didn't grow on me. It reminded me of sporting events and the mainstream tech-tv-esque douchebags which I try to ignore, and the music just got more grating every time I heard it. Their videos were getting less funny anyway, so eventually I just found it easier not to watch them anymore.

I think your videos are still going strong, but I'd really like the old intro back.

I may not be a fan of the new intro, and I won't saw you jumped the shark but I did enjoy the review. Can I say that without fear?

just count me as one of the people who was soo inspired by the new opening that I registered just to let you know that it sucks.
That pseudo "hard rock" clip ranks right up there with stryper and tesla.

way to go.

awsome job as always, i agree entirely with this review and enjoied the new intro scene

Darky24:
"A new intro theme? OMG Oh Noes! Change!"

Anyway I liked it, prefer the original irony of the intros but needs must.

Seconded. But, it's Yahtzee's show, he should be able to do whatever he wants without getting attacked. :)

I personally enjoyed the new intro. I think it gives it a level of polish it didn't have before.

Having played the demo for Lego Indy I can honestly say this is a fun game. Nothing terribly in-depth story wise but still just fun.

I think that the review was amazing - the game was crappy. It brought nothing to the table for a 14 year old or older.

Agreed.
<3

Funny as always :D

Obviously, like everyone else, I'm not to much of a fan on the new Intro/outro. But in all fairness, you are probably better to quit using the songs while you are ahead.

Okay, the new intro with the generic heavy metal music sucks. A lot. A lot lot.

Funny review as always.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or