Zero Punctuation: LEGO Indy

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

I didn't expect a "positive" review at all. I mean, it's so shallow! Sure, it's for kids, but I bet even kids would find themselves dozing off after hours of mashing the x button while running around while the game practically screams in your ear what to do next.

The intro was kind of cool, but can we change the music, please? Maybe it's just me, but hard rock doesn't really mesh with ZP, in my opinion. Maybe other people like to headbang to Yahtzee's review, but whatever, I'll get used to it.

yo y-man i <3 the new theme altough i do miss the songs that had 2 do with the game and i,m not saying that i hate the new theme i think you should keep it i,ts hightime 4 change

That one was very funny, but what's with the new bookends music? I dunno if you folks have run into some licensing trouble with the music clips or Yahtzee can't be arsed picking them anymore (I haven't read), but snarky English humour and backwards-baseball-cap Californian guitar goes together like quite tasty cheese and another really terrible tasting cheese that gives you bad gas. There's nothing 'Rawk' about ZP. It's way too cool for that.
Make something that sounds like the Bonzo Dog Band might have done it.

Hahaha, that review of the movie at the end is priceless!

Cool. Now that you have an 'official' theme song, it's only a matter of time before either RedOctane or Harmonix approaches you and asks if they could include it as a bonus song in Guitar Hero 72: Generic Rock Pun.

The intro really makes the review feel better packaged. Its always had a sort of...I won't say amateurish quality to it, but they were noticeably home-made. The cartoon seems nicely snug between an intro and an outro, like a delicious Yahtzee sandwich.

...ok, that sounded gayer than originally intended. Anyway, the best part of the bonus review is Yahtzee's little lip twitch at the end. Its random, and a perfect punchline for the gig.

star_topology:

m_jim:
I did think "sell out" just a little. The pirated music gave it the anarchic vibe that I love about ZP.

Here we go with the "it's too mainstream for my tastes."

Not to pick on you in particular, but really, who cares about a polished "professional" intro that is all of 5% of the total runtime of the video? If something is popular and crafted well, it will be picked up by someone with money and they will put their watermark on it. It's a necessary evil.

Now if Yahtzee had to "tone down" his shtick, then we'd have an argument about selling out.

While the style has changed just a bit, the substance is still the same, people.

/omg I liked NSync when they were underground!!1!one

My problem isn't that it's mainstream. Everyone's got to pay the rent, so if he's got to sell t-shirts or include ads, I won't complain. However, changing the intro amounts to "toning down his schtick," in my humble opinion. It's a generic, aurally intrusive rock guitar blast that does not have the charm of the ZP's of yore. The song choices at the beginning and end usually made me chuckle, so that's two fewer laughs that I'll get from each episode. If something must be done to appease the RIAA, then my vote is that the powers that be at the Escapist find another solution.

arrgh
I watched it again.

I had flashes of Wayne's World after it got sponsored. I came back and read the newer posts and see that someone had the same reaction, so I will offer another likeness.
When Ben Stiller's guys got a hold of Winona Ryder's character's footage in Reality Bites.
"Have I stepped over some line in the sands of coolness with you? Because excuse me if somebody doesn't know the secret handshake with you."
"There's no secret handshake. There's an IQ prerequisite, but there's no secret handshake. "

I
at least I'm not alone.

I hope they at least vary the original music from week to week. If they expect me to go from enjoying charming, varied, and usually-decent song picks every week to listening to this hack death-metal-wannabe track before and after every review from now on, I'm going to hunt down and chainsaw-vasectomy whoever forced Yahtzee to stop using copyrighted music.

EDIT: I checked fullyramblomatic and he says he made the decision himself. I'd say "never mind. ^_^;," but his reasons kind of irked me.

Let me respond to his post here, since he doesn't allow comments on the site:

Yahtzee Croshaw:
The review of Lego Indiana Jones this week also brings with it a new, original theme tune and intro sequence. And so, as reliably as the tides, there has been a lot of hostility towards it. Most of it I'm putting down to the human instinct to be opposed to sudden changes in routine and status quo. I'd like to point out that if the reviews had had original music and an intro like that from the very beginning no-one would have cared.

Well, I realize you said "most" and not "all," Yahtzee, so I won't take it personally, and yes if it had been that way from the beginning I probably wouldn't have noticed. But I do feel the need to point out that if the situation were reversed, if you had started out with this standard death-metal theme song before every review, and a few months later had switched to having classic rock songs at the beginning and end, I'd be fucking ECSTATIC, and I can think of a lot of people who would be too.

Yahtzee:
I'd also like to point out that I kind of thought everyone was here for the video game criticism, which is unchanged.

A valid point, sure enough, but one of the things I really loved was how appropriate each of the music tracks was for the game in question. That was PART of the video game criticism, it was the proverbial icing on the non-lie cake.

Yahtzee the Great:
Firstly, no, this wasn't because of pressure from the Escapist.

Glad to hear it.

Yahtzee Ultimate:
It was my idea to spruce up the videos and make them look a bit more professional, because otherwise it reflects poorly on me.

Um, no it doesn't reflect poorly on you if the videos don't look "professional," it means you had your own style. One of the things I loved was that you didn't pretend to be "professional."

Mr. Yahtzee:
The new intro might be a bit PEPSI MAX for you but frankly I like it. It gets me pumped.

I agree it's up to you. Your videos, your decision, and I certainly won't stop watching or call it a shark-jumping moment over a couple of songs a week. Moving along, a great review in most other respects, and I absolutely LOVED the movie "review" at the end, by the way. The nickname "franchiseicide" is certainly a versatile one, in addition to George Lucas it could also be affixed to John Hughes, Steve Martin (though admittedly the Pink Panther franchise had been beaten to death long before he got ahold of it, so maybe I should just stick it to Blake Edwards, but that's another rant), and a host of others.

But one little thing:

Lord Yahtzee the Almighty:
And for the music I asked for something awesome with squealy guitars because I'm extremely white and therefore into classic rock.

The tune Ian Dorsch did sounds less like "classic rock" to me, and more like "death-metal-wannabe tripe." To quote the great Rupert Giles, "Music has notes. This is noise." But maybe that's just me being a snob.

As for the game, well, I love LEGO (I should post a YouTube video of the LEGO Rube Goldberg machine I came up with; if I can find the photos I took so I can remember how it worked and rebuild it), so I thought the games were really cute, and it was an innovative concept. That said, the gameplay was never anything special, and, well, I already knew the stories. I'll stick with the real bricks, thank you very much. But I don't really care enough to post a full-on review so I'll shut up now.

Great vid, miss the old start but hey at lest this one is cool.

Personally I am a bit torn over the new intro. The "cute" thing for me about the old one was that you could try and guess how he thinks the song(s) related to the review / game. With this being gone it's a bit.... Dunno, something seems to be missing.

Though I like Onikaze's comment, as there is a bit of that with me as well.

That was great, but I will add to the whining masses by saying I always enjoyed the music selection at the start of your reviews, and it introduced me to some new music and was all round hilarious, but I am sure with time I will get used to the into..

onikaze:
arrgh
I watched it again.

I had flashes of Wayne's World after it got sponsored. I came back and read the newer posts and see that someone had the same reaction, so I will offer another likeness.
When Ben Stiller's guys got a hold of Winona Ryder's character's footage in Reality Bites.
"Have I stepped over some line in the sands of coolness with you? Because excuse me if somebody doesn't know the secret handshake with you."
"There's no secret handshake. There's an IQ prerequisite, but there's no secret handshake. "

I
at least I'm not alone.

Funny, because while we agree about the intro, I tend to agree with Roger Ebert's assessment of Reality Bites: Winona Ryder's character is a talentless hack and needs to be told such, what's done to her footage when Ben Stiller's character gets his hands on it is an improvement, as much as the footage can be improved.

As for the quote, yeah there's an IQ prerequisite and if Ethan Hawke's character is anything to judge by, it's in the double digits.

Anyway I'm mostly kidding about the intro. It's annoying and I'll miss the clever song choices of intros/outros past, but it ain't the end of the world. Things change and rarely for the better. Moving on . . .

Knight Templar:
Great vid, miss the old start but hey at lest this one is cool.

It is?

Okay, seriously, that's my last comment about the new intro, I swear.

sorry...my computer froze so i double posted on accident.

am i the only one who LIKES the new intro over the dumb little songs that had no relevance to the review...i mean the new intro is SOOO much more suiting. Two thumbs up for the new intro...as for the review...it was great.

Amazing job at both content and new intro.

In regards to you "milking the joke" it was well worth it.

_-Default-_

Love the new intro! It's flashy. Also I personally prefer to bludgen Willie rather then short round.

i'm gonna go ahead and join the holy chorus of bitching about insignificant facts... old intro is better

As an angry Escapist Reader, I must ask you this:

Where is the mandatory transcript that gets posted on Page 3 that allows people like me to read this week's review? I need them, man!

I wont call it a "shark-jumping moment", but i certainly dont care for the new intro and outro, and i like the LEGO whatever franchise games, but i just look at them for what they are.

I love the new introduction. It's very professional, and I like it a lot.

The review was fun and witty. Your humor seems to be finding new outlets during your reviews, and I'm enjoying seeing that!

The Funniest one sense crysis in my opinon but the old beginning was mucho better.

Sorry but I don't like the new style. I can't really explain why, it just feels wrong. Anyway keep up the good work with the reviews.

good one , i love the music selections but i must say i really like the intro, no bad at all... so the intro music is going to change every week?

BTW... LOL at the review of the Movie

What is all this other video shit the Escapist is advertising? If it weren't such terrible garbage, they wouldn't need to advertise it on their only fucking successful weekly video. Give it up, god damn. Drawn by Pain? Wow, an incredibly retarded emo sounding name gives way to a terribly emo, shit pseudo-cartoon with some of the stupidest acting I've seen.

Kason8002:
am i the only one who LIKES the new intro over the dumb little songs that had no relevance to the review...i mean the new intro is SOOO much more suiting. Two thumbs up for the new intro...as for the review...it was great.

Do you have any idea at all what you're talking about or are you pulling things out of your ass? You would need to be legally retarded to not notice most, if not all, the songs used in the past had some relevant context to the game. A song called No More Heroes for the opening of No More Heroes? It has no relevance? God damn.

lol i still hate the lego games lame

Sylocat:
The tune Ian Dorsch did sounds less like "classic rock" to me, and more like "death-metal-wannabe tripe." To quote the great Rupert Giles, "Music has notes. This is noise." But maybe that's just me being a snob.

Well, the "wannabe tripe" part is subjective, and you're welcome to your opinion on that, but in no way does the music fall under the stylistic umbrella of "death metal."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_metal

Even calling it metal at all is kind of pushing it. You might more successfully call it "hard-rock-wannabe tripe," for instance.

onikaze:
arrgh
I had flashes of Wayne's World after it got sponsored.

Yes, this is exactly the description I was looking for. That or when South Park took the piss out of long running shows rocking up their theme music and intros for new series' in a similar way.

Sorry Yahtzee and crew; even if you would have done it this way from the start if you could, the current approach is making a big dent in the show's originality and personality. By all means use an intro or something, but a better one. Pick one of those songs by the Portal guy. I hear he does one a week.

I thought the part where Ben did the silent of himself a little more humorous then the review.

Ian Dorsch:

Sylocat:

Well, the "wannabe tripe" part is subjective, and you're welcome to your opinion on that, but in no way does the music fall under the stylistic umbrella of "death metal."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_metal

Even calling it metal at all is kind of pushing it. You might want to call it "hard-rock-wannabe tripe," for instance.

Oops. Sorry, I should have researched that classification a bit more carefully. ^_^;

Anaphyis:
Oh Christ, are you people really that much of of a mindless consumer with cranial intrusion that you don't manage to press the stop button when the clip is over? "Oh no, there is one minute remaining, I have to watch it all and then follow the other lemmings over the next cliff after I posted another pointless Please-no-more-Ads-Whining."

That said, I like the intro and would totally buy Sitckle Bricks Babylon 5 as the mindless consumer with cranial intrusion I am.

LOL

+1

I like the review. I agree with most of the points

About the presentation: I like it! The new intro feels more professional with that crazy mettalic theme.

But, i dunno, the end feels more empty, you know, in the part of the messages, the music of the choice added more comedy with the characters doing something acordding to the review.

Well. At least you have your style intact

:)

donmilliken:

Funny, because while we agree about the intro, I tend to agree with Roger Ebert's assessment of Reality Bites: Winona Ryder's character is a talentless hack and needs to be told such, what's done to her footage when Ben Stiller's character gets his hands on it is an improvement, as much as the footage can be improved.
Moving on . . .

WOW
I was wondering if anyone would call me on that one and mention Ebert's review. I applaud you sir.

I guess we could make it a weekly thing and post what song would have been a good opener on future eps.

Thank you Yahtzee really at last a honest but at the same time funny review of this game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here