Discord and Rhyme: My Cowboys Have Always Been Heroes

Discord and Rhyme: My Cowboys Have Always Been Heroes

Matt Turano accidentally exposes his young son to the depravity that is Grand Theft Auto, and lives to tell the tale.

Read Full Article

An amazingly well written and insightful article. I really have to agree with the point you end on, we should savor the moments we have now, because before we know it, we won't be able too.

*coughs* Dawwwwwwwww! *resumes being a jaded cynic, hopes nobody noticed*

I was hoping to see some explanation of the Duran Duran/Willie Nelson references in the article's title. Color me disappointed by that, but overall satisfied with the writeup.

Discord and Rhyme is the name of Matt's bi-weekly column. As for the Cowboys/Heroes thing...yeah, honestly I'm not sure. Then again, what can you expect from a freelance cat whisperer?

I'm not sure about the title either. I've never been particularly good at naming things, but I'll try to make the next one more relevant.

Actually, I'd be happy just to call them all "Mayonnaise," or "Embarrassing Rug Burn," but those would probably meet with editorial disfavor.

Matt Turano:
I'm not sure about the title either. I've never been particularly good at naming things, but I'll try to make the next one more relevant.

Actually, I'd be happy just to call them all "Mayonnaise," or "Embarrassing Rug Burn," but those would probably meet with editorial disfavor.

How about

"Words. From a Person. By Matt Turano.

By the way, you have an awesome last name. It kind of rolls off the tongue, sounds like a brand of steak sauce..

Cute and fun column, but I found that you didn't tie gaming into it as much as I would like, even thoguh parenting advice is awesome stuff. ;)

Hope to read more in the future.

First off: D'AWWWWWWWW

Ok got that out of my system:
While it may not have been overtly pure gaming, it does touch on that very vital point that with games, who you are gets revealed in how you play and even the games you play. The game doesn't hold a gun to your head and tell you to mow down a few crack whores in a stolen vehicle. It's our already existing impulses being let out for a breath of fresh air that drive some to swing towards the more violent excesses in games such as GTA.

Matt Turano:

I would so totally run those. Then again, upon learning that I would have to write four papers for my senior English Lit class, I entitled them "Birthday Party," "Cheesecake," "Jellybean," and "Boom." So perhaps titular restraint and accuracy is not my strong point.

Awww... That was one of the nicest and most heartwarming pieces I've ever read about gaming experiences. It's nice to see gaming being discussed as a bonding experience, especially when the game concerned is Grand Theft Auto.

I look forward to your other work.

Fantastic article. It was a pleasure to read, thank you.

Susan Arendt:

Matt Turano:

I would so totally run those. Then again, upon learning that I would have to write four papers for my senior English Lit class, I entitled them "Birthday Party," "Cheesecake," "Jellybean," and "Boom." So perhaps titular restraint and accuracy is not my strong point.

Could be worse, I was semi-infamous in the History Department at my University for always titling my papers with aweful puns.

PedroSteckecilo:

Susan Arendt:

Matt Turano:

Could be worse, I was semi-infamous in the History Department at my University for always titling my papers with aweful puns.

I titled one "Paper" once. *shrug* I thought it was funny, even if no one else did.

As a dad and a gamer, I can so totally relate to this article. I thought the writing was thoroughly entertaining, my wife was even smirking at me reading the article to her between my chuckles. "Unsupervised Dad" Hehe...

Thank you for that article. Now I'm off to see what my lil'daredevil daughter is laughing about... Ahh, rice crispies, yes, those are funny to throw... =D

Matt Turano:

I just didn't read that as a regular feature title. Stick with "Discord and Rhyme"; I like it.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with mining the vast cultural veins of the Duran Duran oeuvre for titular inspiration, but there is something wrong with writing sentences like this one.

(I wrote that before I discovered that Susan has a similar fascination with the word 'titular'. Tee-hee.)

To say nothing of my fascination with Duran Duran.

Susan Arendt:

Now that kinda thing is just unhealthy (goes back to listening to "girls on film" and "view to a kill").

Susan Arendt:

Matt Turano:

I would so totally run those.

And this is one of the many, many reasons why The Escapist is superior to its digital peers.

Susan Arendt:
I would so totally run those.

Hmm. Sounds almost like a...challenge.

Then again, upon learning that I would have to write four papers for my senior English Lit class, I entitled them "Birthday Party," "Cheesecake," "Jellybean," and "Boom." So perhaps titular restraint and accuracy is not my strong point.

Those are evocative, especially if they all draw inspiration from the same event. Not sure I wanna know about the "Boom," though, if they do. (What kind of scary-ass jellybeans did you have at YOUR birthday parties, anyway??)

CanadianWolverine:
As a dad and a gamer, I can so totally relate to this article. I thought the writing was thoroughly entertaining, my wife was even smirking at me reading the article to her between my chuckles. "Unsupervised Dad" Hehe...

Thank you for that article. Now I'm off to see what my lil'daredevil daughter is laughing about... Ahh, rice crispies, yes, those are funny to throw... =D

Ah, the relatively safe, innocent days of the Rice Krispy. Wait'll she graduates to walnuts. Ow.

Glad you liked the article.

Susan Arendt:

You liked Barbarella as well?

But again, Awwwwwwwwwwwwww.

It's almost as good as when I see the new Doctor Who fans of about 7. I swear my jaded heart melts a little every time I see the mites whoop over the Tardis.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Susan Arendt:

You liked Barbarella as well?

But again, Awwwwwwwwwwwwww.

It's almost as good as when I see the new Doctor Who fans of about 7. I swear my jaded heart melts a little every time I see the mites whoop over the Tardis.

I heart Doctor Who.

"Birthday party, cheesecake, jelly bean, boom" is actually a lyric from "It's The End of the World As We Know It," by REM. I found quoting it to be particularly amusing, given that I was in my senior year of highschool.

And I hope this article gets linked around whenever the next fracas about Grand Theft Auto ruining our children starts. 'Cause really, I think this pretty much sums the reality of the situation up beautifully.

Susan Arendt:
"Birthday party, cheesecake, jelly bean, boom" is actually a lyric from "It's The End of the World As We Know It," by REM. I found quoting it to be particularly amusing, given that I was in my senior year of high school.

And I hope this article gets linked around whenever the next fracas about Grand Theft Auto ruining our children starts. 'Cause really, I think this pretty much sums the reality of the situation up beautifully.

I only ever learned the Tommy Boy version of that song, in which everything after, "Uh oh, overflow," descends into incoherent mumbling until the next chorus. I'm praying that they put that song out on SingStar sometime, because that's the only way I'm going to ever learn the words.

That was nice :) Like someone else said, it was good to see gaming portrayed in the light of father-son bonding. I liked the melodrama about seeing the universe flash before your eyes as you reached for the controller all slow-motion lol

What's all this Awwwwww'ing and Dawwww'ing about? Oh I get it! He played GTA3, and that's a long time ago, so you are all cruising down memory lane remembering what a great game that was! I get it now :)

(I get it Matt, I really do. But don't tell the other guys. I got a rep to consider. Kapish? Tears, man! Real tears!)

Awesome article :) Hope my kids one day will have the same mindset yours do :) I also can't bring myself to harvest a little sister.. perhaps it has something to do with my having a 3 year old Niece :P

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here