Zero Punctuation: Prince of Persia Retrospective

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

seems like you actually have done some thinkin this time
thanks
good vid

Maaan that was great - this was the funniest review for me yet. Not just because the Sands of Time series was my favourite series too - but the great humour and jokes. ( puding XD )

Great work Yahtzee, you made my ( till this point piece of ... day) into a great day :)

Heh, The Pet Shop Boys make the end of this video worth watching alone.

NezumiiroKitsune:

O.o Sorry? XD

Sorry, it was kind of long winded :P

D_987:
Its not Spiderman 2 - its either silent hill 4 or residant evil 4.

No, it's not.

Its Spider-man 2 because that game was facking ursome. The best was climbing to the top of the empire state building and jumping off only to catch yourself at the last second.

Hepatitus Q:
Everybody's still posting about Yahtzee's top 5? Sheesh

I know, especially since everyone's just posting the exact same list. Also, you know he likes Spiderman 2 because he talks about it at great length on his website. But does it really matter?

Bargain bins at Gamestop, here I come.

No matter how many times Silent Hill 2 is recommended, I'll never play it. I'd be paralyzed with fear for more than a week.

That was a very funny review, poor Prince of Persia gets crushed by the TARDIS in the end.

I'm not absolutely sure whether it's SPIDER-MAN 2 or not (though the apparent hyphen in the title seems to indicate such), but I'm not sure why it would be a great shock. Sure, Tobey Maguire completely phones it in and I think Kirsten Dunst may have literally done so, and the green missions can get very repetitive (you don't have to take them, obviously, but my good samaritanness always kicked in), but it's loads of fun and almost zenlike since you can just swing around the city as much as you want without actually doing anything. And yeah, skyscraper-diving never gets old.

I'm sure like any responsible gamer, Yahtzee alters his list every single time he thinks on the subject.

Back to the topic- it's ironic that one of the hardest ever 2-D platformers eventually became one of the most accessible 3-D ones, due to rewinding, generally good controls and your character's actual ability to do cool-ass things. I don't even think the actual combat mechanics are bad- what's bad is the goddamn respawning. Vaulting over people's heads is enjoyable, but I cannot think of a single reason why you would have more enemies popping in just for the Hell of it, especially since it isn't really a combat game anyway. The appeal is the platforming, the knife fights are just there to break it up.

I am disappointed that the newer one seems to be moving away from a pure Arabian Nights fantasy thing (though, technically, Persia is not Arabian anyhow) towards a more Miyazaki-esque world of gaping canyons and big vertical cities. It's kind of pretty but it's not as distinctive.

Ditto, if I played Silent hill two I wouldn't be able to sleep for a year.

Well, I've never played any of the PoP games, but now I think perhaps I should. I reckon they'll be pretty cheap by now, which is a good reason to buy classic old games and see what everyone is making a fuss about.

otterbeans:

No matter how many times Silent Hill 2 is recommended, I'll never play it. I'd be paralyzed with fear for more than a week.

Just saw your post, and having started Silent Hill 2 all I can say is that I nearly crapped myself playing it. It is without doubt the scariest game I've played - I don't count Forbidden Siren, as it didn't really feel like "playing"... While it was incredibly atmospheric, genuinely disturbing and frighteningly brown trouser time, the overwhelming cackiness of so many bits of it caused me to throw my controller across the room, nearly breaking my lava lamp in the process.

I thought it would be kinder to my possessions not to put the disc in my PS2 ever again.

UnconditionalZeldaLove:
Ditto, if I played Silent hill two I wouldn't be able to sleep for a year.

Yeah, I kind of enjoy sleeping, you know?

hypercube:

otterbeans:

Just saw your post, and having started Silent Hill 2 all I can say is that I nearly crapped myself playing it. It is without doubt the scariest game I've played - I don't count Forbidden Siren, as it didn't really feel like "playing"... While it was incredibly atmospheric, genuinely disturbing and frighteningly brown trouser time, the overwhelming cackiness of so many bits of it caused me to throw my controller across the room, nearly breaking my lava lamp in the process.

I thought it would be kinder to my possessions not to put the disc in my PS2 ever again.

I read the wikipedia articles and watched a few play videos. I had to keep a nightlight on for a while.

It was more than enough for me.

I've been raised on kid-friendly games that give you a hug and a pat every time you complete a level, so I'm really not used to the whole mental masochism thing that goes on in horror games/movies.

Personally 3 was scarier than 2 when it comes to shock (The screaming mannequin, the hanging guy, the bloody mirror), but 2 will remain the scariest horror game I've ever played when you realize how everything fits together.

I did love the prince of persia series. SoT is still my faviourt, but WW just seemed to destroy the series for me. I feel like I should like TT the best, all the ingredients were there, but somehow something wasn't right. I didn't mind Faria, even if she wasn't quiet the well charcturised stick figure from SoT, but I think the dialogue between the prince and his dark self made up for it. But there it is, the problem with TT, the dark prince. He just felt like a gimic, and not a very good one. The chariot races didn't help.

first of all the 4. best game on the yatzee's ;list is a xbox game noticed by black track on the top and some green letters

second it was almost all the screen red and how there are orange/gold holes in the image

third the name has an "-",first word long then a three letter word and a number

personally i think it was spider man 2 but not sure and no way that its re4 and sh4.

Unfortunately, I decided to buy this series a few months ago for 20$ altogether...without doing research. Turns out only sands of time works on a 360...the other two are not backwards compatible...which makes me wonder why the hell every bloody sports game is backwards compatible but not the PoP series. Seems like a poor decision...kind of like my poor decision to sell my old xbox when I got my 360

that was one of the best for a while, nice work

i dont see what was wrong with (phara?) in the last game, i dont remember there being anything wrong with her, but as far as im concered two thrones makes my top 5 list over sands of time anyday

Love how the Tardis falls on the prince at the end.

Windows David:
first of all the 4. best game on the yatzee's ;list is a xbox game noticed by black track on the top and some green letters

second it was almost all the screen red and how there are orange/gold holes in the image

third the name has an "-",first word long then a three letter word and a number

personally i think it was spider man 2 but not sure and no way that its re4 and sh4.

I think i'll end this debate, by saying that you should look more closely at the pixelated, and see the blue and eye thingy for yourselves. You got internet, right? Why not google it? On images, that is...
Think i'll have a look around, now i've posted, i suppose.

yea ye i know im late for commenting, but after using google for a little while i think i have it
number 2 may be another SH game and i only think number 4 is RE4 well because it was amazing, BUT it looks like is has a 4 and the gamecube logo on the top.

BTW i thought Peggle was going to be on it for sure.

1. Portal
2. Silent Hill 2
3. PoP Sands Of Time
4. Resident Evil 4 (?)
5. Fantasy World Dizzy (why not Peggle here lawl?)

edit: so after reading the first 2 pages people think 4 is spider man? can someone please point out how they got that, maybe i just suck at life

I liked the monkey joke.

KIlld every 1 that was happy awsome so funny and i think itstribby fantsey som,thing he mentuned earley in the seris portal silint hill 2 prince or persi and of coursea phiconouts

Good job boys, we cracked the case, now lets all go to lunch.

You've got to look at the box arts, not just the names. Here's what I figured:

Oh, the random Tom Jones reference just really made my day. :)

c0mb0 br3ak3r:
i only think number 4 is RE4 well because it was amazing, BUT it looks like is has a 4 and the gamecube logo on the top.

One small flaw; take a look at these two words:
Resident
Fantasy

Notice that resident is longer, yet game 4 has a shorter first/half word? The one for game 4 is 6-7 letters long, not 8. Spider-Man 2 looks the most conclusive, though that fact he hasn;t mentioned it before is a surprise.

Edit: this link may provide the reason why he likes Spider-Man 2 so much (see second and third updates on the page).

1. PORTAL
2. HALF-LIFE 2 Ep.2
3. PoP: SoT
4. BLOOD 2 the Choosen
5. DIZZY

Could we stop with the lists already? I'm pretty sure we don't have to keep commenting on that after page 5. [Hates repetetiveness]

You can tell its Spiderman 2, just no one wants to admit it because its movie game. I've played Spiderman 2 and loved, simply because swinging was fantastic. I brought spiderman 3 as my last PS2 game and I can tell you, the greatness of 2 didn't last. 3 was shit

But still, yahtzee, putting a movie game in your top 5, even a really good one, is like poking a sleeping dragon in the eye. I can see why you blured it

It must be strange to have people actively compete to earn your "Utter disgust".

I'll casually refrain from obsessively detailed analysis of blurred JPGs in favour of stating that the "..you stuck your dick into it!" and "...my arse will sprout wings and fly me into space!" bits are incredibly well delivered, metaphorically appropriate and will be making me laugh internally until something else ushers them out of my criminally short attention span.

BlueInkAlchemist:

I look forward to Yahtzee's indications of utter disgust towards my relentlessly fat American arse.

it's spelled A-S-S

Zeddicus Zhul Zorander:

it's spelled A-S-S

or in english its "arse", like he said.

Anyway, i made this account to tell you that you're all wrong.

the 4th image is Metroid Prime 3.

That was the first time in a while a ZP review has left me gasping for breath... nicely done!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 49190)