Zero Punctuation: Prince of Persia Retrospective

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Zinggy:
It must be strange to have people actively compete to earn your "Utter disgust".

I'll casually refrain from obsessively detailed analysis of blurred JPGs in favour of stating that the "..you stuck your dick into it!" and "...my arse will sprout wings and fly me into space!" bits are incredibly well delivered, metaphorically appropriate and will be making me laugh internally until something else ushers them out of my criminally short attention span.

I haven't posted a list because I'm working on urning his utter love. :D

I love how you say 'Well delivered and metaphorically appropriate' To 'Arse' and a pudding dick joke. That gave me giggles. I guess that's how magical he is. He can make such a thing sophisticated! *Uncompfortable laugh*

1.Portal
2. Sands of Time
3. Silent Hill 2
4. Fantasy World Dizzy
5. Spiderman 3 like What the fuck?

This is the funniest ZP of all time.

Greater than even the Assassin's Creed one.

If the Escapist had wanted to expand their veiwer base, this would be the week to do it.

1.portal, 2.?, 3.prince of persia, 4. ?, 5. fantasy world dizzy thats all i got

this guy is a genius and nothing else and whenever im pissed off i listen to the super smash bros hatemail becuase i love how yahtzee just mocked their attempts at insults with his gift of not giving a shit

For loving the series, he seemed to be awfully mean to it, so take all his other reviews with a grain of salt.

I'm hoping it's just that Yahtzee's pulling a massive troll by putting Spider-Man 2 with his four favorites.

c0mb0 br3ak3r:
BTW i thought Peggle was going to be on it for sure.

You're kidding, right? I seem to recall Yahtzee having "less than love" for Peggle, nowhere near top-five status.

Good to see everyone so eager to earn his disgust.

What's wrong with Spiderman 2? You get to swing around at 200MPH (according to the stats page. It also records how many times you bump into people), jump from the top of the empire state building, saving yourself at the last second with a zip-line, hang up criminals and then punch them over and over and over again, take criminals to the top of the empire state building and then slam them into the ground, take a ride around hanging from a helicopter, and if you're lucky, you'll encounter a glitch where instead of being tied to a lamp-post, the criminal gets tied to your ankle, dangling behind you as you continue to make your death-defying (well, for you at least. Not sure about the thug getting stringed along) leaps. Fun times.

I was expecting Soul Calibur.

And Metroid Prime is up there somewhere.

Sensei Le Roof:

c0mb0 br3ak3r:
BTW i thought Peggle was going to be on it for sure.

You're kidding, right? I seem to recall Yahtzee having "less than love" for Peggle, nowhere near top-five status.

You'd be wrong. His exact words were "I wouldn't claim to like it, in the same way an alcoholic doesn't ussually claim to like alcohol".

1. Portal
2. Silent Hill 2
3. POP: Sand Of Time
4. Spiderman 2
5. Fantasy World Dizzy

yea yea i know others said it :P

Also great video :)

SirCannonFodder:
What's wrong with Spiderman 2? You get to swing around at 200MPH (according to the stats page. It also records how many times you bump into people), jump from the top of the empire state building, saving yourself at the last second with a zip-line, hang up criminals and then punch them over and over and over again, take criminals to the top of the empire state building and then slam them into the ground, take a ride around hanging from a helicopter, and if you're lucky, you'll encounter a glitch where instead of being tied to a lamp-post, the criminal gets tied to your ankle, dangling behind you as you continue to make your death-defying (well, for you at least. Not sure about the thug getting stringed along) leaps. Fun times.

Agreed 100%, only reason i never fully completed it was because it belonged to a friend and i had no money at that time, i actually completely forgot about it. The 2nd game was in my opinion BRILIANT, had an awesome combat system, good graphics and the whole open world thing was handled really well, not to mention the web-slinging was nothing but pure awesomeness.

This makes me want to take a retrospective of a series that I love. I can't make videos so oh well.

It was an interesting review. I'm kind of hoping hoping for a retrospect of RPG's and why they suck in his eyes.

Don't stick your dick the pudding!

So does this now mean the pudding is a lie?

it could be

1)portal
2)silent hill 2 (thou not sure)
3)PoP Sands Of Time
4)Carmagedon
5)Fantasy World Dizzy

damn... its been 4 hours since the article is out and someone already updated the Fantasy World Dizzy article on wiki
ben might need some bo(d)yguards soon :P

I say

Portal
Okami
Psychonauts
Prince of Persia, Sands of Time
Painkiller

Some of the best games I ever played.
Perhaps somewhere in there is Fallout, System Shock 2, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Detective Columbo + kawaii face = NIGHTMARE FUEL.

Tom Baker = best Doctor ever.

Would you like a Jelly Baby?

I'm also thinking that a lot of people are earning Yahtzee's scorn and disgust right now, though I'm sure that he's got plenty to disburse to the deserving.

Portal
Silent Hill 2
PoP: Sands of Time
Spiderman 2
Fantasy World Dizzy
Can i have your utter disgust now?

Wow that was sooooo funny...made my day lol.

Prince of Persia was awesome, one of games that made my Gamecube look like a real console, but the original was the best, but so damn hard - come on 1 hour to complete the whole game, glad they got rid of the that idea

1. Portal

2. Silent Hill 2

3. PoP: Sands Of Time

4. Spider Man 2

5. Fantasy World Dizzy

heres the proof, http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/eziniti/yahtzee.jpg

So STFU about it people.

my top 5

1. Half Life

2. Max Payne

3. Deus Ex

4. Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines

5. System Shock 2

Best ZP in ages. I've been waiting ages for one this good, and he certainly delivered. I like it when he occasionally talks about games he liked, or at least ones he had a passing regard for.

My brief experience with sands of time lead to nothing but annoyance and frustration, of course this is back when I was still in the teen years so the lack of patience and constant anger probably had something to do with it. Maybe I'll go raid the bargain bins for a copy, hmm. But then I find yahtzees opinions to only ever be 50 - 60% equal to mine and i like ALOT of different games so bleh. Personally I thought the jak and daxter games of last gen took platforming and made it into perfection, I wonder if yahtzee ever played that series. I'm still praying naughtydog make a 'jak 4' instead of a *cough* uncharted 2.

Overall, a good review. Love the series in general, mostly agree with his criticisms. However, given Yahtzee's vendetta against quicktime events, I'm surprised he didn't mention their use in Two Thrones - namely, the fact that they were used well. The speed kill system made an already fun game even better, without forcing the player to be stealthy if they didn't want to be while rewarding those that did. Possible high point of the game (or at least one of them): at one point, when playing as the Dark Prince (who uses the Blades-of-Chaos-style Daggertail), you can hang from a chain above an enemy guard. You then let down the Daggertail, hook it around his neck, and pull him off the ground until he chokes. Pure fun.

Great review, but personally warrior within had the a way to uneven difficulty curve (when playing normal), and the dialog was disastrous. The first being what stopped me from enjoying this game that much. And two thrones was worse imo because being the sandsmonster wasn't that fun since your life got drained. And it was a little too like the older games.

Sands of time was fantastic, even though the last boss fight sucked. Now thats a game that tells a great story without long cutscenes.

Ha ha!!! It was Spider-man 2 you monkey loving swine, but all this jibber jabber about (WHY DEAR GOD WHY!?!?!) Spider-man 2 will bring us our next retrospective.

However, I cannot disagree with him about Spider-Man 2. Flying throught the air was a unique sensation that exceeded much of the greatness of that time. It just that the storyline, graphics, and most importantly: THE VOICEACTING were god awful.

Still, I bow to his judgement...

I most definitely saw Silent Hill 1 or 2 on his list. I prefer 2, but 1 is still the s**t by all standards, and the one game in all existence that deserves a remake (forgive me for that). Edit - besides the original Myst. I have a gut feeling that as soon as someone makes an EXACT model of the original, but with true walking through the environment instead of just picture slideshows, it will be ate up by me and everyone who played it years ago... Just because - and that is marketing, thank you.

As a couple of people pointed out, Yahtzee forced a couple of jokes out this time, maybe because there wasn't enough to get really bile-spewing angry about. He had better not make a habit of it.

Yahtzee! If you don't feel it we won't feel it! Ironically enough, this episode felt like one of those PoP sequels he was talking about -- still really good but trying to hard to meet "expectations".

I could never truly be angry with Yahtzee, though -- he introduced me to Psychonauts and that's enough happiness for a lifetime.

This was good, real good.

Only thing that could make it awesome squared is to BRING BACK THE OLD INTROS/OUTROS.

I just cant figure out the fourth one, i'm inclined to say spiderman 2 exept for one reason there in nect to no black in that picture, even though the shape eems right... well on the chance of earning disgust...

Portal
silent hill 2
Popsot
spiderman 2... yuck
Fantasy world dizzy

7 Pages long so i don't see the point in posting....but #4 was Killer 7 i believe.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here