Zero Punctuation: Prince of Persia Retrospective

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

it's gay?

I agree that these all had the potential to be wonderful games, but each screwed up something. I finished 1 and 3 but 2 glitched on me right near the end so i haven't played it since.

Well lets see Spiderman, Fantasy World Dizzy, POP, Portal, Silent Hill 2.

because i am an emotional masochist who like yahtzee's work very much, but is always trying to get on his bad side:

1: portal
2: silent hill 1
3: prince of persia: sands of time
4: painkiller
5: fantasy world dizzy

SarahhC:

1. Portal
2. Silent Hill 2
3. PoP Sands Of Time
4. Resident Evil 4
5. Fantasy World Dizzy
:)

sorry, i don't think he did like resident evil 4 very much..

Congratulations you fools. it blows my mind that so many of you would nibble at that little piece of completely irrelevant information trying to decipher his list-o-five. sure, one page of it was excessive, but its still going on after eight pages. You've made me loose allot of faith in the general public and you disgust me. some of you even registered just to post that gorram list. There is no hope for you now and i guess ill just have to continue living knowing that you people exist.

To quote the interwebs: zero punctuation and croshaw are getting fukken old by the hour. The first time I saw ZP, it was funny as hell. I almost fell off my chair. But now I just smile and occationally let out a little laugh. This kind of humour isn't lasting, trolling pretendously day after day. I'm waiting for the next internet fun machine.

PoP:SoT was quite a mediocore expirience. The platforming was nice (except for the parts when you didn't have the dagger of time), but combat was a big 'meh'. Either hacky hacky with the big guys who could defend or vaulting over more stupid monsters and after the credits I found myself with a dull face, sighing. It was well done and you'd see that it was made by professionals, but also it gave an impression that there wasn't actually much effort put into it.

Anyways, I hope to see some psychotic rage from fanatics. Eventhough there is none.

1:Jericho
2:Oblivion
3:Alone in the Dark
4:Turok
5:Super Smash Bros. Brawl

I can has udder disgust? :D

Not sure if anyone noticed but he was talking about league of extodenary(why can't I spell it!!) gentlemen which (if you've been to his website and read his review) he was pretty pissed about.

M0rp43vs:
Not sure if anyone noticed but he was talking about league of extodenary(why can't I spell it!!) gentlemen which (if you've been to his website and read his review) he was pretty pissed about.

After LXG it's no wonder Alan Moore hates Hollywood with an unholy passion. I'm surprised Yahtzee never posted reviews of any of the Spider-Man movies, especially 2 which is arguably the best one of the three, all of which include his hero, Bruce Campbell.

I basically agree with the whole thing. I loved SoT, but the combat always came to a place where the challenge was mostly pitching more and more opponents who could block more and more of your attacks.

WW could very well have been my favorite game in the series if it hadn't been presented so tastelessly. It's like all of the designers sat in a room thinking about what was hard. Angst? Yeah, that's hard! Violence? Yeah, that's hard! Electric guitars? Yeah, that's hard! Women wearing hot clothing? Yeah, that's hard!
I did like the artistic qualities of cleaving an enemy and seeing the resulting cascade of blood and sand mesh together in a spray of red, yellow and orange, though. Maybe I'm odd like that.

I liked TT, but a lot less than I felt I should. I think it has to do with the fact that the whole scenario doesn't fit very well together. Like, even though you're in one of the largest cities of the time, there is a very distinctively marked path for you to follow for no obvious reason, alleys are are walled off arbitrarily, rooftops link neatly to only two other roof tops, and for some reason people put springy platforms on their walls... a lack of IMMERSION as it where.
The springy boards where kinds balanced by the speed kills you could do off of them, though. They were, to say, totally bitchin'.

I have a bit of a double feeling about PoP.

Sands of Time kept locking up on my PS2. Every time after one of those forward flashes you get at the start of every room none of the controls but the start button responded anymore, leaving me with no option but to go to the menu and back for up to three minutes until the Prince realized forward made him move, after which the game continued normally. Tried to find someone else who had the problem but to no avail. In the end this completely broke the experience. Shame, I liked it when I could actualy move.

I absolutely adored the original PoP though. I could almost play that thing blindfolded after a while. There's also a Prince 2 btw. Which has the exact same gameplay as the original, except for the timelimit, a graphical overhaul and different levels naturally. Strange Yahtzee missed that one.

BlueInkAlchemist:
Alan Moore was done with movies since ever. I don't believe he's actually seen any of them (he said as much during an interview somewhen). Even with V being pretty good, From Hell decent (even if it is NOTHING like the book) he made the right decision all along simply because it spared him from having to watch the League...

I mosty agree with SarahhC, except I might've put Fable at #5

Number 4 is spiderman 2. I'm assuming the Xbox version.

To all those thinking about how the PC version sucked so many big ones, the xbox version was probably my most played game before I switched to the 360.

I wholeheartedly agree with the rest of the list as well. Portal is God.

Oh, and the review was one of the best in a long time. Really reminded me of the first few reviews.

Cheers, keep up the good work.

Pudding...ugh

Lovely video as always, and good job on your (first?) rule 34.

Retrospectives are really fun! :]

Nice one Ben, I enjoyed it.

Hilarious as usual, though the memories of the original PoP character being punctured by spike-pits will haunt me forever.

The other people in my office can always tell when it's Yahtzee-time, lots of LOL from my room...great job!

Thank you Yahtzee, I'd say that was the best ever, but that may be because I WAS EATING PUDDING WHEN I WATCHED IT.

bastard.

I dunno, the review itself was fine but it felt a little off to me in some way. Maybe the emotional tone in some places left me feeling the objectivity wasn't really as valid as it could be. In a way it felt like a fan video in that Yahtzee felt "I have a reputation as a jack-ass and a troll so I'm going to play the part" instead of just stating his mind like he does in his other videos (for better or worse). I dunno. it just felt a little forced to me in it's delivery. good points in the review though, but I feel catering to the label given to you by "the fans" as being beneath you Yahtzee 8(

Poyer:
Congratulations you fools. it blows my mind that so many of you would nibble at that little piece of completely irrelevant information trying to decipher his list-o-five. sure, one page of it was excessive, but its still going on after eight pages. You've made me loose allot of faith in the general public and you disgust me. some of you even registered just to post that gorram list. There is no hope for you now and i guess ill just have to continue living knowing that you people exist.

I concur!

1. Postal
2. Samba Del Amigo
3. PSO: C.A.R.D Revolution
4. Silent Hill: Zero
5. Dokie Dokie Panic

Is anyone else having a problem with the video loading? It's taking an age for me...

EDIT: having problems with all vids on the escapist, but not on any other site... any advice?
EDIT2: nevermind, deleted temp internet files and its all good... noob

Also for those that think number 4 is spiderman 2... could he mean spiderman 2 for the PS1? I mean if its the spidey game i'm thinking of it was awesome, and vastly underrated.

EDIT3: yeah i'll stop editing after this... my god it really is spider-man 2 the movie game... then again its fun, something yahtzee yearns for in games

I wonder how much longer we can keep slobbering all over his dick like this before he puts down a restraining order. Maybe he likes it, maybe we should hook him up on a blind date with the Angry Videogame Nerd, I'm sure it'd be a magical evening.

WHO WANTS TO PLAY MATCHMAKER?

Even though I've never played a Prince of Persia game (don't shoot me) I still found the review to be immensely entertaining as usual. Great work Yahtzee!

So...I still don't get it. He said he likes the PoP games, then goes on to bash them. Witty and fun words are still shit when what you are talking about isn't relevant.

If you said you really like bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches but then go on for a couple minutes explaining why they are horrible, but in a comedic way, I'd slap the shit out of you for wasting my time.

Good review, wonder what Yahtzee's views on games like Grim Fantango would be?

1) Halo
2) Halo 3
3) Halo 2
4) Haze
5) Turok

Yahtzee's top five list is so far removed from mine:

Put in 10 cos its so hard to choose

1) Bioshock
2) Shadow of the Colossus
3) Halo
4) Little Big Adventure 2
5) Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
6) COD 4
7) Chronicles of Riddick EFBB
8) Loco Roco
9) Me and my Katamari
10) Fable

MrBilzor:
So...I still don't get it. He said he likes the PoP games, then goes on to bash them. Witty and fun words are still shit when what you are talking about isn't relevant.

If you said you really like bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches but then go on for a couple minutes explaining why they are horrible, but in a comedic way, I'd slap the shit out of you for wasting my time.

He's a critic, it's his job to hurt the things he loves. You also forget we his audience, are simps. If he's not bashing something with all the hate he can muster from the crevices of his pruney heart, we get scared, confused and start flinging shit at it. At the very least, he's fair. I lost interest in PoP 3 when my guy would die if I fell off a ledge, but if I jumped off if I was fine, or was it the other way around? Either way, he liked it, just that it fell short from what he would have liked it to be, so he -criticized- its flaws, 'cause, y'know... He's a -critic-.

Indigo_Dingo:

Sensei Le Roof:

c0mb0 br3ak3r:
BTW i thought Peggle was going to be on it for sure.

You're kidding, right? I seem to recall Yahtzee having "less than love" for Peggle, nowhere near top-five status.

You'd be wrong. His exact words were "I wouldn't claim to like it, in the same way an alcoholic doesn't usually claim to like alcohol".

Ouch. *l* Okay, so I have to go back and rewatch that video. Just a minute, I hear OB is playing again...

I wrote this over at Shamus' personal site but I wanted to mention it here as well:

I've been thinking about comments some have made about fanboys looking for Yahtzee's likes in the manner of a mob boss looking to see where a federal agent's wife and children live to exploit that "weakness" for leverage. While I consider that valid, that is not the intent of everyone who desires that knowledge.

I've been wondering what Yahtzee likes but not because I'm looking for a foothold to denigrate him. I'm actually less interested in what titles he prefers and more what principals or design philosophies stand out to him as constituting a good game.

I appreciate that at one level, what he is doing is almost exclusively for entertainment; people like to hear a good tongue reaming and that's what he provides. I guess its that there in an inherent intelligence and articulation to the opinions he renders that I'm wanting to take my nonexistent force powers and draw out the other side of that analysis. Sometimes I'll get it too, piecemealed here and there throughout other reviews, like not hearing until the Oblivion review that he thought Assassins Creed had good immersion.

Anyway, just sayin'.

first of all, trilby is awesome, i dont know how this relates, but i think its fun, so good job. as for your review, its all good and what not, but best game series?? i guess your opinion is exactly that, but i really think there were some better games out there, like, i dont know, maybe silent hill or gta "just for the amount of freedom you actually get in the game". but Kudos to you, you did another great job on this weeks zero punctuation

Isan:

Zeddicus Zhul Zorander:

it's spelled A-S-S

or in english its "arse", like he said.

No, that's just how it's pronounced in Great Britain. Trust me, it's ass.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here