Editor's Note: The Iconoclasts

The Iconoclasts

Mario. Sonic. Samus Aran. Master Chief. The game industry is known for creating icons, not destroying them. There are plenty of examples of videogame franchises built from the ground up that have become television shows, movies, even novels. Maybe that's the problem.

Read Full Article

Articles with Joanthan Blow and Tim Schafer!

Omg omg omg, I predict the best issue ever. I offer you my unyeilding love mr Deam.

I do want to see a morally challenging video game, the kind that makes you rething what you belive is right and wrong. In order to do that, though, people are going to have to bend and break the rules.

Do I belive this will happen? Yes; If something's happend before, then it can happen again. It will just take awhile.

In the meantime I'll read the articles. Then I'll finish reading Needful Things, which is turning out to be awesome.

Apologies Abound.

I'm looking forward to seeing what new ideas this issue can provide, but I'm not actually expecting much, since the video game industry seems to be extremely derivative. Even the highly praised "Braid" seemed to embody the most basic of platformer dogmas. It also had me jumping on relatively impotent and completely unintelligent enemies, which is completely incomprehensible to me.

It would be great if more and larger developers would try to step outside the safe zone of the expected and tested. I see so much potential for games as a form of genuine and inspiring art, but I'm constantly left more or less unsatisfied. If I am allowed a metaphor: Instead of gourmet cuisine, we are served hamburgers by McDonald's.

The linked picture of Samus Aran made me think: "Now, that is just silly."

Oh oh oh!! I have an Idea!!! How about when you get shot with bullets you dont die you just become invulnerable for a bit! Or when you are playing guitar hero you dont fail, the audiance just quietly accepts the fact that you suck and lets you play on mindlessly hitting buttons!

No more death or failures in video games!! Long live the scrubs!!

"I want games to be challenging the way that literature can be challenging. I want level design with the meticulously crafted mise-en-scène of a Hitchcock movie. Music with the violently shifting tonalities of a Stravinsky symphony. Characters with the subtlety and depth of a Stephen Dedalus or a Hedda Gabler. Zelda's fun and all, but it's not going to take us there."

Lets just take this gem here.

Games ARE challenging. But if you you expect a game to "challenge" you in the same way literature does you are having unrealistic expectations. A game challenges you to DO something. Literature challenges you to think about its written word. Its not even apples and oranges youre talking apples and sushi. A good story is just that. A story. You dont DO anything it isnt a GAME. The blurring of the two is what is killing the games industry. Great if youre an out of work writer though or someone to lazy to read a book.

Do you want meticulously crafted "mise-en-scène" levels or do you just want a pretty angle or two while you carry on in your little world without consequences?

Do you want some subtle chic character(s) or is it to much to ask that the activities these characters do be in depth mechanical masterpieces that allow GOOD gamers to make the game SING?

Thats just it. None of that shit you listed is gonna make a GAME give talented players the chance to make it SING. Thats where your music analogy might almost stand a chance, certainly not in the way you intended it.

This is it man the end is fucking near. The Day the Noobs take over.

Yeah, dude I completely agree. Soon people will be able to play games with tthier eyes closed.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here