163: Backstage with Tim Schafer

Backstage with Tim Schafer

"More Mark Mothersbaugh than Mick Jagger, Schafer has built a reputation for creating weird, cerebral games that rely more on clever dialogue and witty characterizations than seat-of-your-pants gameplay. Beginning his career at LucasArts with The Secret of Monkey Island, which he helped write and program along with fellow designer Dave Grossman, Schafer has carved out a niche in an industry obsessed with the next Top-40 hit where he and his team can work on something a bit more offbeat."

Read Full Article

Schafer is the man. Much much love to the man.

I also highly recomend the Double Fine blog (make sure to mouse-over the pictures), almost as hysterical as Monkey Island.

He is destined to travel ALL the roads less traveled.

interesting to hear how he views the modern development process. i think most people in his position would be just complaining about all of it.

I'm a big fan of weird games that no one plays, so i'm eagerly awaiting another Tim Schafer game.

Psychonauts is one of my favorite games, since the top-notch worldbuilding more than makes up for the somewhat lacking gameplay.

Maybe instead of doing interviews about himself, he could tell us some things about Brutal Legend other than "No, its fine." in the full year since he last said something about it.

The thing is becoming vaporware.

He probably isn't allowed at this point to talk about what's going on with the game, but as far as I know, DF are very close to signing with another publisher. I gets released. That's all I need to know.

On the article: Very nice read. I like Schafer's attitude about the whole business. He knows what's going on, but he always takes with a nice amount of humour. There's a very cool episode of Icons about him and the last days of Psychonauts' production where you see how cool and relaxed he is about everything, not matter under how much pressure he is (although I think they might have skipped some parts). The guy is simply one of the best people in the business. He never forgets the story and never forgets the fun. And that's what we need here.

Juan Regular:
He probably isn't allowed at this point to talk about what's going on with the game, but as far as I know, DF are very close to signing with another publisher. I gets released. That's all I need to know.

On the article: Very nice read. I like Schafer's attitude about the whole business. He knows what's going on, but he always takes with a nice amount of humour. There's a very cool episode of Icons about him and the last days of Psychonauts' production where you see how cool and relaxed he is about everything, not matter under how much pressure he is (although I think they might have skipped some parts). The guy is simply one of the best people in the business. He never forgets the story and never forgets the fun. And that's what we need here.

He's the damn maker - he decides what gets released and what doesn't. He can at least toss us some fucking voice actors.

Indigo_Dingo:
Maybe instead of doing interviews about himself, he could tell us some things about Brutal Legend other than "No, its fine." in the full year since he last said something about it.

Vaporware?

Brütal Legend was announced in October/November of 2007. It hasn't even been a year yet, and Schafer has said repeatedly that the game will come out sometime in 2008. In contrast, Spore was announced in March 2005 and it's coming out next month. Three and a half years is a long time to wait. Fourteen months is a bit more manageable.

Brütal Legend's biggest problem isn't the developer getting sidetracked - it's the lack of a publisher. I'm just as anxious as you to find out what's going to happen to it, but don't blame Double Fine. Blame Activision for being shortsighted enough to drop it from their roster.

Oh, and deep breaths ;)

Ice-Nine:

Indigo_Dingo:

Vaporware?

Brütal Legend was announced in October/November of 2007. It hasn't even been a year yet, and Schafer has said repeatedly that the game will come out sometime in 2008. In contrast, Spore was announced in March 2005 and it's coming out next month. Three and a half years is a long time to wait. Fourteen months is a bit more manageable.

Brütal Legend's biggest problem isn't the developer getting sidetracked - it's the lack of a publisher. I'm just as anxious as you to find out what's going to happen to it, but don't blame Double Fine. Blame Activision for being shortsighted enough to drop it from their roster.

Oh, and deep breaths ;)

Actually, I was calling vapourware before this little problem hit. October of last year, this thing was announced. Dio, Schafer, Metal world - the thing sounded mindblowing. Then nothing - not a goddamn thing - for over six months. No trailers, no cast additions, no plot elements, no screenshots - absolutely nothing. I realist that developers can work in secrecy, but christ, that was well over the limit. As it is, the only words we have on it are that Activision thought Ice Age would be more profitable, and Schafer simply saying "its fine", in the same tone that Enron execs reassured their investors.

Vapourware is software that fails to materialise. Considering that nothing has developed on it except that its been cut loose, it sounds like a strong candidate.

Well I guess they aren't going the Little Big Planet path and releasing so much information we have forgotten about it when it finaly is released. We already know all we need to know, it's a Schafer game. ;)

I love Schafer. The fact that it took about ten minutes to make Dogen Boole to become one of my most favorite video game characters ever is a testament to how quickly his games draw you in and don't let go.

sammyfreak:
Well I guess they aren't going the Little Big Planet path and releasing so much information we have forgotten about it when it finaly is released. We already know all we need to know, it's a Schafer game. ;)

There is a subtle difference. Releasing no information other than what was said at the concept stage indicates the idea is still in said stage.

And who can get bored of LBP?

Great read. Schafer is my hero. Can't wait for this game.

Schafer is one of my gaming heroes. My copies of Grim Fandango and Psychonauts are no more than a few feet away from me, as ever. I'll be there waiting for Brutal Legend, regardless of when it finally reaches us.

That would be messed up if either Microsoft or Sony grabbed the Publishing on this game.

BallPtPenTheif:
That would be messed up if either Microsoft or Sony grabbed the Publishing on this game.

Remember how Microsoft did have exclusive rights to Psychonauits, and then dumped it? Considering its relative failure commercially, I doubt they'd take Brutal Legend. Sony, on the other hand, might.

And if you think that Sony wouldn't take on a game if its predecessor sold badly, remember that they kept Team Ico, and gave them the budget to make Shadow of the Collosus after Ico did poorly.

Dingo, if Legends was still in its early stages, then I sincerely doubt that the release estimate of "sometime this year" would still be the official line. There's, what, three months of 2008 left? For a release this year to be even remotely feasible, they'd have to have quite a lot done.

Lord Rick:
Schafer is one of my gaming heroes. My copies of Grim Fandango and Psychonauts are no more than a few feet away from me, as ever. I'll be there waiting for Brutal Legend, regardless of when it finally reaches us.

I wish I had my copy of GF close at hand. Unfortunately the first disc on my copy crashes after the opening cinematic.

rockstar is the best game developer

"I guess I think of it more as making an amusement park, like a haunted house. You're kind of writing instructions for the mummy who's hiding in the closet to jump out at people, if the mummy could talk, and also if he wasn't necessarily scary - if he was funny instead. And not a mummy."

This is why I love Tim Schafer. He's not just crazy, he's also hilarious. And makes a good game. But that's mostly because he's crazy and hilarious, rather than in spite of it.

Being a relative newcomer to the world of games, Grim Fandango was one of my first experiences in the point and click adventure games. And it was brilliant, amazing, fun, and a total mind screw for a 10 year old. I still play it today (except my second CD got a scratch somewhere, and I can't finish the third act anymore ;_; ).

Later, playing Psychonauts was one of those defining and memorable gaming experiences. Even with a difficulty curve that made zero sense, it was still ridiculous fun. Great characters, wonderful art design, and interesting levels helped make it a classic, as far as I'm concerned.

I am totally looking forward to Brütal Legend (extraneous metal umlaut and all) and have been for some time. When the news broke that it was in limbo as to who will publish it and when, I got angry. I have no doubts that it will come out one way or another eventually, but I feel that these publishing companies don't really care what the hardcore gamers think anymore. They're just concerned with making more money, and if that means churning out a ton of low quality games rather than delivering a polished, amazing game, then so be it. It drives me insane.

Brutal Legends was going to be one of the few games I will buy in '09. I sure hope it gets picked up soon.

matrix3509:
Brutal Legends was going to be one of the few games I will buy in '09. I sure hope it gets picked up soon.

EA picked it up a few weeks ago. Fall of '09 can't come soon enough!

Jordan Deam:

matrix3509:

eh great, the evilest of all the evil publishing companies are now publishing a game from my current favorite developer. Hmmm...this will be a tough one for me.

matrix3509:

Jordan Deam:

matrix3509:

eh great, the evilest of all the evil publishing companies are now publishing a game from my current favorite developer. Hmmm...this will be a tough one for me.

Don't worry it will be an "EA Production" but it will be secondary to the two-headed bee-child of Double-fine.

Fightgarr:
Don't worry it will be an "EA Production" but it will be secondary to the two-headed bee-child of Double-fine.

With the added flavour of ridiculous copyright protection most likely.

Fightgarr:

matrix3509:

Jordan Deam:

matrix3509:

I'm sad to say that if it does have ridiculous DRM on it, then I would rather go without. Its sucks majorly that anyone would have to make that choice, especially because if anyone deserves money, its Double Fine. Though I'll be sure to check out their website to keep up on it.

Can't wait for Brutal Legend to come out. Heavy Metal for the win.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here