Zero Punctuation: Soul Calibur IV

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Soul Calibur IV

It's hard to hate fighting games. For Yahtzee, it's also hard to like them.

Watch Video

Soul Calibur 4! A perfect start to my day hehe.

I often find myself pressing F5 over an hour to view the newest video - and it never fails to disappoint.

Heh, ive been hoping you would do Soul Calibur 4...

I guess that answers my question on "What time CST does Yahtzee usually post his videos". Too good.

5pm GMT. ^^
Great as always, and i never really did understand fighting games.. it seems that people will eat up any old crap if theres some character they know in it..

Keep it up!

I loved the whole "And now il try the game on hard" scene, a picture of Yahtzee at gun point with that expression of inferiority and self loss cheered me greatly :D

naa i like the game but you got theres something about what you are saying mostly the custom char part

KoalaMeatPie:
I often find myself pressing F5 over an hour to view the newest video - and it never fails to disappoint.

Wow, even MY time isn't THAT worthless...

As much as I love SC4, I literally fell out of my chair laughing.

"People will buy a game because Darth Vader is in it" Priceless

This seems to be another area where Yahtzee and I disagree. Though I understand the fact that if he doesn't get a game he can hardly stretch himself for a review he seems to have a direct hate to fan base ratio in his reviews that shows here. He also seems more arrogant then usual by using his own lack of connection with the genre to claim that it is no fun for anyone where others who actively enjoy the genre have prased it as a complete fighting experience. I will however conceed the point concerning the story in that I've never taken it too seriously where Soul Calibur is concenred and in general it never seems as "serious" a series as Mortal Kombat or Tekken. To finish I say MK V DC looks awesome.

P.S If anyone has a problem with the inclusion of Yoda, Darth Vader or the Apprentice it can be solved with two very easy words "non cannon"

Damn I really liked that game but a godd episode anyway :)

Excellent review, I found it hard to disagree with anything he said in this review except for the fact he actually goes looking for a story in a fighting game and is disappointed when one doesn't measure up to the plot of Lemmings at the very least.

Great job, Yahtzee.

Hahhahaha, I love playing these games against people who memorize all the abilities, and then beating them by randomly mashing buttons. Their reactions make it all worthwhile even if the game is stupid.

Also, I like how he titled it "Soul Caliber", after his hint that every game in the series has misspelled it so far.

*sighs contentedly*

hehe this was great :D
story is irrelevant in these sorts of games :D

**do a strategy game at some point**

rightwingisgood:
This seems to be another area where Yahtzee and I disagree. Though I understand the fact that if he doesn't get a game he can hardly stretch himself for a review he seems to have a direct hate to fan base ratio in his reviews that shows here. He also seems more arrogant then usual by using his own lack of connection with the genre to claim that it is no fun for anyone where others who actively enjoy the genre have prased it as a complete fighting experience. I will however conceed the point concerning the story in that I've never taken it too seriously where Soul Calibur is concenred and in general it never seems as "serious" a series as Mortal Kombat or Tekken. To finish I say MK V DC looks awesome.

Alrighty then, so we have small Japanese looking teenagers, strange hair do's, big swords no one with that little muscle would ever be able to pick up and added Darth Vader and Yoda into the mix and you're saying it's arrogant to hate it? It's arrogant to defend it...

Any of us big nerds know that a lightsabre can cut off anything and cut through anything, why can't it cut through those small muscleless characters.

!!! The game is so good!! C'mon Yahtzee! I agree that the backstory is needless, but if you've followed it from the previous games, its kinda cool. Sorry, I'm a sucker for fan service games.
I do have to say, seeing Yahtzee with boobs is rather... how can I say it? Disturbing? Mind-burning? ...Vaguely erotic?

:-( I liked the game, but I hate not being able to refute any of Yahtzee's points.

FINALY SOMEONE GOT THE SPELLING RIGHT!!!!
great video as per usual and i found the "technical difficulties" screen quite amusing

This has been bugging me for awhile, whenever Yahtzee says "anybody" or something along those lines, it shows the same picture of a man. Who is that man.

once again Yahtzee delivers

Great review. I love the Soul Calibur Caliber series, and yet this review is still fantastic. It must be the magic of Yahtzee...

Very funny and factual as usual :). Like said above I found it hard to disagree with any of the points you made. To be perfectly honest I wasn't sure which game you would do this week.

Yahtzee's conclusion and general stance towards fighting games - Soul Calibur IV in this particular case - is logical considering his stance towards the concept of "multiplayer" and the fact that until game developers get A.I. right, fighting games are at their best when played against other people.

Hearthing:

rightwingisgood:

Alrighty then, so we have small Japanese looking teenagers, strange hair do's, big swords no one with that little muscle would ever be able to pick up and added Darth Vader and Yoda into the mix and you're saying it's arrogant to hate it? It's arrogant to defend it...

Any of us big nerds know that a lightsabre can cut off anything and cut through anything, why can't it cut through those small muscleless characters.

Yeah, but you forget that the game might still actually be a laugh. Either it'll be a remake and remodel of the original Soul Calibur on Dreamcast which was pretty much the best of the series and contained none of these weird bonus characters, or it will suffer from being a sequel, and and any attempt at online play will inevitably be ruined by some prick always playing as Yoda. I'm hoping Yahtzee is wrong about the dominance of the throw button, because Soul Calibur 1 and 2 were pretty good, so long as you like fighting games (which most people who take the time to go online and heavily discuss games don't, because for them it is probably too casual)

And let the lightsabre element go will you? It doesn't really matter

Say what you want about Yahtzee, at least he has the balls to say what he thinks about a video game, i.e. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

LOL at "Technical Difficulties". Yahtzee must have forgotten to take his heroin today.

KiiWii:
5pm GMT. ^^
Great as always, and i never really did understand fighting games.. it seems that people will eat up any old crap if theres some character they know in it..

Keep it up!

Actually 4PM GMT, since you're probably from the UK and you are currently on GMT+1 (also known as BST, Brittish Summer Time). The rest of Western Europe is on GMT+2 during the summer. GMT does not have summer time.

Either way, it was a fun review, and I admit sharing some of Yahtzee's sentiments, I don't get those types of games either, but as long as they make developers money it's fine with me, that means there's more money for other games.

Soulcalibur isn't a misspelling, it's a reference to the Excalibur.
Actually.

KoalaMeatPie:

Well that's not really a comment on this video. But since you have already stated your time isn't worth much, I guess demonstrating it makes some sense...

I've enjoyed the past SC games, but I get a strange sense of enjoyment when I can simply trip(MK) or throw(SC) my way to victory. Of course, putting SC1 on the Xbox Arcade basically ruined any chance of my plunking down big money for this. Enjoyed the review.

Is there anywere we can get a written version of Zero Punctuation reviews? I have a friend that is deaf and would love to read these...

saphronic:
Soulcalibur isn't a misspelling, it's a reference to the Excalibur.
Actually.

Thats what I thought. I feel further justified with my purchase.

Aku_San:
Say what you want about Yahtzee, at least he has the balls to say what he thinks about a video game, i.e. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Well, any chump can attack a popular gaming franchise. The only thing that sets (or rather, set) his reviews aside from the rest was the medium in which he did it, and his sense of humour. Unfortunatly, it is my opinion that he simply isn't using his great British wit to its full potential anymore, which is a shame.

Mistah Kurtz:

KoalaMeatPie:

Wow, even MY time isn't THAT worthless...

I already spent over two hours doing that this morning and I was pleased that there was no waiting around for yahtzee today

P.S. If you know what I was trying to do this morning then you have earned my respect

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here