164: Gamer Nation

Gamer Nation

"Envision an alternate reality we might call 'Gamer America.'

"In Gamer America, every home and office has 20MB/s broadband that's cheaper than milk. The coolest kids in Gamer America high school go out for the StarCraft team. And there's a Gamer America network TV channel (not cable, network) broadcasting online game tournaments round the clock. No, wait, there are two channels.

"Sounds like an EverQuest fever dream? A console fan's Robitussin high? Okay, Gamer America doesn't exist - in America. But it lives for real - right now! today! - in the Republic of Korea."

Read Full Article

Hey Allen, are you visiting Seoul on occasion? If so I'd love to chat your ear off about Paranoia over soju and kalbi!

I haven't made it to Korea yet, Wilson, but it's definitely on my list. Maybe when I go, I'll start an Escapist forum topic to set up lunches.

Allen Varney:
I haven't made it to Korea yet, Wilson, but it's definitely on my list. Maybe when I go, I'll start an Escapist forum topic to set up lunches.

Awesome, I look forward to the visit.

Also, to anyone who enjoyed this article; Allen's site has a great deal of information on writing and games, as well as a link to all of the articles here on our beloved Escapist.

I especially this piece. Very insightful.

I would love to have their broadbandconnection :) Here in Belgium it's €30 a month for 20GB download.
I also think it's a smart move of the Korean government to focus on games. It's a big and booming industry with a lot of potential. Every country should encourage the videogame industry, just as they would do with the movie industry.

I think the US (and judging by cable TV elsewhere, certainly here in the UK) has already become "Poker Nation".

Its amazing how far the UK is behind the rest of the world, Canada put fiber optic cables aross the country 20 years ago. BT is really dragging the UK down.

I've read and seen many amazing things from S Korea, i plan to also visit in the future.

I currently pay about 35 USD for 82mb upload here in Seoul. I sometimes joke to my friends that I would have repatriated to the US a long time ago if the internet wasn't so awesome here.

If any of you do make it out this way to Korea look me up. It's always great to meet a fellow Escapist, drink grain alcohol, and play games at an internet cafe' (PC Bang) till the wee hours of the morning.

I live in Incheon, near Seoul. I get broadband and T.V./Movies on demand for 40 USD. This is a cool place to live

Man, i wish i lived there.

Here's a tip: NO FUCKING RE RUNS ON THE INTERNET. If you wanted people to read it again, put a link to it in the thing that it's relevant to and don't cram it into the "new articles" area.

I remember Game Informer did an article like this a while back, but a lot longer and more in depth. Still though. My god :O I wish to travel to this Utopia and live amongst its people. And it shall be good.

haha iloveoov is not the current #1 SC player, in fact, he retired many months ago. The current #1 rank player is Lee Young Ho (aka Flash). Kinda makes me wonder where he got his info from...

I would LOVE America to be like this. But no way would it ever happen.

Whenever I feel outcasted from society for playing Video Games...I can always take solace in knowing that I would be accepted in the other side of the world.

Oktoberfest: This article is a reprint from Issue #3 of The Escapist, originally published in 2006. The top-rated players mentioned in the article were those of the original pub date.

I think I have found the nation I wish to live my adult life in.

Allen Varney:
Oktoberfest: This article is a reprint from Issue #3 of The Escapist, originally published in 2006. The top-rated players mentioned in the article were those of the original pub date.

right, I had overlooked that, oops

i should do that, maybe i could get a girlfriend that enjoys games (unlike my old one...)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here