Zero Punctuation: Braid

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

dib_dib_9@hotmail.co.uk:
FF 13 anyone?

I would, but I bought a PS2 simply for the sony exclusive FF games and I got really fed up with the console. What a bag of wank they are.

I feel that one answer to the current gaming problem is the exclusivity of games to consoles. BAN this, ensure all games are available for all formats at the same time and lets see how quickly Microsoft and Sony fuck off out of the console race because everyone has the games on PC or Nintendo or Sega (when they finally get off their arses and make their new console).

I'm all up for allowing new companies to make consoles and crap, but when all they make is generic bollocks that has been made using the engine from Half Life or another game that's been raped to buggery and then plugged like fuck on TV, Mags and stuff, it's a tad pointless.

There's NO need for Microsoft to have released TWO consoles now (not including the 3(?) variations of the XB360). They simply saw the space that Sega had left in the market and forced themselves in there like a paedophile in a playground. Anyone who actually thinks they NEED an xbox and their PC wont suffice is just a muppet. People who have a PC to be able to say they have one, but have ZERO idea on how to use it properly.

Maybe Mac should bring out a console that simplifies the experiance even more. One mouse button could be adapted into a joypad with a control stick and one giant button the size of a fist that's known as the 'masher' because you really don't need that many buttons to jump, shoot, change weapon, shoot, shoot and erm, shoot.

A good game needs good story and gameplay. An original idea is always a huge bonus, but as long as the story and gameplay are great you can leave graphics the scraps in the funding and still have a marvelous game. Graphics are small bonus. If a game has the greatest graphics ever to be conceived, but has gameplay from hell and story that is shit that was written by shit with shit on shit then the game is going to suck. How do people believe that graphics are more important than gameplay and story?

Stelman257:
Actually it could be because video games just don't hit off as much in Australia.

... because of the nice beaches maybe? ;)

Lord Doom:
........How do people believe that graphics are more important than gameplay and story?

The same way people that goto the cinema and enjoy Steven Spielberg films covered in CGI special effects, pretty people and the writing/directing talent of an autistic turd. *cough* indiana jones *cough*

Ha ha the uk pay less than both america and australia 17.33 austalien for this game 15 american and only 8.20 uk woop but we have shit weather so that is probaly compensation

Dramus:
Not at all. I get that, I'm mainly just venting steam that's been building since XPlay previewed that mushroom men game from Gamecock and said how it's so original because it's a platformer where you're small and so everyday objects look big. No shit. Somehow a feature in Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, and probably several other titles is unique solely because the developer has a long list of flops (oh wait I meant to say 'is indie').

Ok, I agree. The strange phenomenon of 'hype' works not only on vastly advertised titles, but also on underground games, where people enjoy to brag about playing something that others don't even know.

I have to add here, that I merely tried to describe Yahtzee's train of thoughts which I agree to, but I myself am not a blind defender of independent, homebrew games and also enjoy(ed) big titles like Farcry, Tomb Raider Legend, Battlefield and hell-yeah Quake 3 back in the good old days.

But I think that because my computer is too slow to run most new games properly and I do not own a next-gen-thingy, this longer abstinence of the newest commercial releases has changed my mind a bit. I look for other qualities in games now, not only because I am forced to go along with yesterdays graphics, but also because I'm less affected by the hype-machinery that comes with the big titles nowadays. It made me take a step back and see the big picture I think.

And I'm sure I would still enjoy a few rounds of Crysis if I had the right machine. But I won't be a victim to it for a long time, because I don't have the impression anymore that Crysis (to stick with this example) will be a much better experience than the average of the hundreds of first-person-shooters I've played before. In general I didn't feel the need to play an FPS after Half-Life-2, because the bar for the quality features that I'm looking for now has not been raised much since then.

Dramus:
On somewhat the same point, I think something great happens when indie and mainstream collide, like what happened with Portal. It's a nice, polished game that managed to reach a lot of people, but is mainly based on some college student's final project in game design 402 or something. The biggest problem with a lot of good indie games is their lack of polish, so hopefully more stuff like this starts happening. And then indie will become the norm and we'll long for cookie cutter sequels in what is known as 'torment anyone who takes a few year to learn the new cool' syndrome.

Yeah, that's true. - There is a lot of middleground in between the extremes that I described. And when it is explored by developers, it can lead to great releases that combine the best of both indie and established media.

Lord_Ascendant:
Wow, Yahtzee reviewing an Indie title, whats next reviewing a mod? Yikes! Good review though, as always. Although I really really want Entropy to come out soon, its just not going to happen.

Fact of the matter is Braid is of the class of "Indie" game title that isn't really an indie title. Sure it has a small team and it came from "indie origins" but Go! Go! Break Steady! for XBLA only had a two man team with a limited budget.

It's nice to see indie titles getting mainstream attention, but at this point I am not sure Braid fully counts given the fact that it has received so much main stream attention, it is available on XBLA which is hardly a platform for indie development, it has a shoestring dev budget that is about 180 000 times that of any indie developer, and it is definitely going to lead to a staff of 10 then 50 then 300 then EA acquisition.

I doubt this review of Braid is going to pave the way for a review of any of my indie projects or anyone else's, and I am 100% positive both Yahzee and the escapist get those kinds of review requests all the time.

mark_n_b:

I doubt this review of Braid is going to pave the way for a review of any of my indie projects or anyone else's, and I am 100% positive both Yahzee and the escapist get those kinds of review requests all the time.

What would be the point of reviewing/picking apart a game that no one knows (no offense to you making an indy game btw). If no one knows or loves the game then there'll be no one to piss off. Getting people's backs up is like fuel to ranters (like myself) and I agree that general reviewers SHOULD review more indy games, but that's not really what ZP is for.

I haven't heard much about Braid, but I'm not sure it'll be my kinda game. This review just strengthens that idea :|

Mythbhavd:

Eldritch Warlord:
I was gonna post: "Whatever happened to being funny and clever as opposed to being an angry if eloquent misanthrope foaming at the mouth while rabidly calling everyone a moron?"

Um...I think you did post it. Let me check. Yep. Yep, it's posted.

I see that you don't understand and are trying to discredit me in any way possible.

Allow me to elaborate, after seeing this video that is the intended post I formed in my head. After seeing five pages of almost nothing but "ur my gawd YAHTZEE!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111" I decided to expand upon that.

yeah lol

Mrmandude:
Ha ha the uk pay less than both america and australia 17.33 austalien for this game 15 american and only 8.20 uk woop but we have shit weather so that is probaly compensation

...Sorry, I couldn't let this go. We in the UK actually pay a similar amount as 1 UK is closer to $2 US, and (as far as I know) US dollars are roughly comparable to Australian dollars, hence our 8.20 is roughly equal to US $16 (Someone with a bit more knowledge want to correct me? I'm not sure on this sort of thing).

As for the review, it was funnier than some recent ones but it's not a game I'll ever play.

Garuness:
yeah lol

Wow that is a worth full post. You should be proud of your superior posting skills.

Yahtzee's Mint!

Im gonna do a salaam!

UninspiringlyNamed:

...Sorry, I couldn't let this go. We in the UK actually pay a similar amount as 1 UK is closer to $2 US, and (as far as I know) US dollars are roughly comparable to Australian dollars, hence our 8.20 is roughly equal to US $16 (Someone with a bit more knowledge want to correct me? I'm not sure on this sort of thing).

You're pretty close with the exchange rate dude. It's been teetering around 1-$2 for a while now. We have some of the highest tax rates too AND we gotta wait quite a while for stuff. Don't think we wait as long as Australia but the stick we've got has quite a short end :(

I buy quite a lot of games/dvds etc. from the states because I really can't be arsed to wait for the catch-up period. Whatever the delay from Japan to America, we have to wait that again, It's not like they have to translate it from American to English, it's pretty similar :P

Abolish this bollocks please, I'm sure we have something that the Japanese would be upset if we made them wait...............................surely :S

This is the best review ever.

It's okay, Ben. We all know Australia hates us. Come to the U.S. some time, we price gamers cheaper than dirt and have unicorns that spit pixels. Come to ussss, Yahtzee... Coooommmeee to usssss.

I think a common falsehood about the game industry is that the graphics are the inverse to good gameplay, as if the artists stifle the designers ability to make a game. I work in the game industry and it REALLY has NOTHING to do with budget, staffing, OR bad designers. Its literally the fact you make the game the publisher tells you to... Some dude, in an office, decides the fate of the game, who has NOTHING TO DO WITH MAKING THE ACTUAL GAME. They do their "research" and plan their "marketing" and somehow this gives them the ability to do whatever the hell they want. So really, lets quit this false belief that its the graphics ruining gaming, because honestly, it has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. Its not even the designers fault, most designers think of a good game idea once a day! And then hate their existence because they will never get to make it. A good game can have good graphics and gameplay, its not an inverse. So if you want to point the finger at how much games suck, because of their lack of ORIGINALITY, or MINDNUMBING GAMEPLAY. BLAME THE PUBLISHERS AND THE BYERS!!!!! The publishers think you are all a bunch of DUMB HALFWITTED MOUTHBREATHING GAMERS that only want tits and guns. Unfortunately, the only way itll change is if people stopped buying HALO, you will never change a publishers mind, all they see is dollar signs.

Eldritch Warlord:

Mythbhavd:

Eldritch Warlord:
I was gonna post: "Whatever happened to being funny and clever as opposed to being an angry if eloquent misanthrope foaming at the mouth while rabidly calling everyone a moron?"

Um...I think you did post it. Let me check. Yep. Yep, it's posted.

I see that you don't understand and are trying to discredit me in any way possible.

Allow me to elaborate, after seeing this video that is the intended post I formed in my head. After seeing five pages of almost nothing but "ur my gawd YAHTZEE!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111" I decided to expand upon that.

Nope. I wasn't trying to discredit ya. Just pointing out that you did post it. :)

)< since when are beaches that are perpetually 15 degrees, rainy, and perpetually so windy that your legs get a nice shiny sand blasting a BAD thing!

Curse your nice beaches )8< CURSE THEM.

Rybe:
)< Since when are beaches that are perpetually 15 degrees, rainy, and perpetually so windy that your legs get a nice shiny sand blasting a BAD thing?!

Curse your nice beaches. )8< CURSE THEM.

Just wondering... To which specific beaches are you referring?

OMG, I freaked the hell out. My name is Adrian. Jeez man.

Very funny anyways.

it's funny, every time you complain about "me" not buying any good games you show all the games I own. I know you're being general, but it's just ignorant.

Ya man seriously all people do is immediately fall on their faces and say we are not worthy to be spit upon by you yahtzee

I'll have to see if that actually works. If so, bravo!

Ah magnificent comparing the game industry to the movie industry, beautiful and well done I can still feel the discontentment and rage, keep at it Yahtzee!

finalcut315:
it's funny, every time you complain about "me" not buying any good games you show all the games I own. I know you're being general, but it's just ignorant.

Not really he has a point ranting about sheeple, the masses can be viewed as begin ignorant because they are to busy with life to stop and think.

Instead of waiting until a game is out and vetting it by making a decision on industry and user reviews they buy first and in doing so make the game industry make games without thinking, its a vicious cycle....

Yahtzee your review has dragged me away from doing coursework, so I have to thank but also hate you for doing that glorious video.

Having bought Psychonauts, BG&E, and Shadow of the Colossus, all I say to this assuming is "Fuck you".

Also, Shadow of the Colossus blows, it had one good thing in it, and that was art direction, besides that, the gameplay is buggy, repetitive and annoying, and I never cared about anyone in the game.

No Yahtzee you are not the new punk rock.

EDIT: Also could you have asked a grown up why the key breaks? I don't like the game, but geezus man.

A particularly top notch review this week. So many laugh out loud moments.

Holy crap! My real name IS Adrian! You bet i was scared out of my shit!

Oh you should review Castle Crashers. Because uhh. Its 4000 times better than braid could ever be.

Basically what Yahtzee said this week:

"Braid is playable but not good, you have to buy this for the originality of it. If you don't I will hate you."

GreyPoly:
I think a common falsehood about the game industry is that the graphics are the inverse to good gameplay, as if the artists stifle the designers ability to make a game. I work in the game industry and it REALLY has NOTHING to do with budget, staffing, OR bad designers. Its literally the fact you make the game the publisher tells you to... Some dude, in an office, decides the fate of the game, who has NOTHING TO DO WITH MAKING THE ACTUAL GAME. They do their "research" and plan their "marketing" and somehow this gives them the ability to do whatever the hell they want. So really, lets quit this false belief that its the graphics ruining gaming, because honestly, it has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. Its not even the designers fault, most designers think of a good game idea once a day! And then hate their existence because they will never get to make it. A good game can have good graphics and gameplay, its not an inverse. So if you want to point the finger at how much games suck, because of their lack of ORIGINALITY, or MINDNUMBING GAMEPLAY. BLAME THE PUBLISHERS AND THE BYERS!!!!! The publishers think you are all a bunch of DUMB HALFWITTED MOUTHBREATHING GAMERS that only want tits and guns. Unfortunately, the only way itll change is if people stopped buying HALO, you will never change a publishers mind, all they see is dollar signs.

more truth has never been posted. it's really sad that money has as much power as it does.
and to give an example... who here has seen the NEW third banjo-kazooie game?

cause i RAGED. it went from amazing platforming that got BETTER IN THE SEQUEL.. an original premise ( musical notes and jigsaw puzzles? whoda thunk it ) and they TURNED IT INTO GARBAGE! now its a vehicle shooter game with character models that make them look WORSE THAN THEY DID ON THE N64!!

this new gen stuff to me is truly sickening. you can have the fancy crap, i'll stick to finding old N64 games ps2 games and dreamcast stuff.

(edit) forgot to mention that starcraft 2 is looking more and more like warcraft.. hmmm maybe its because WoW made more money than god? perhaps they want to draw that WoW playerbase into SC (browse the forums for sc2.com no joke the people discussing graphics gameplay elements and unit strengths are WC3 or WoW players some never even played SC )

HadesWTF:
Oh you should review Castle Crashers. Because uhh. Its 4000 times better than braid could ever be.

idk, Braid was really good made me think about things and i do enjoy puzzles and that kinda crap. On the other hand Castle Crashers is the fucking shit with friends, hours of laughs on the stupidest of things like the camels on the desert level.

id say castle crashers is better/funner but not by much Braid was still good.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here