My Bad Date With a PS3

Pages 1 2 NEXT

My Bad Date With a PS3

Susan Arendt goes on a date to the movies with her PS3, and lives to regret it.

Read Full Article

I'm loving CS so far, one of my favorite columns on the site. And this one didn't disappoint; it was like a friendly, sensible rant of unadulterated fury. Thank you for helping me get over my hesitation of buying a 360 over a PS3.

Though a little less thankful for bringing back memories of going to the theater, sitting down as the room darkens, watching previews of movies I could care less about, then getting giddy as all of a sudden a familiar bassline starts playing, only to be greeted by a preview for a live-action catastrophe *eyeroll*

Huh, I dunno what to tell you, I know the PS3 has bigger files which probably causes longer downloads, but are you on Wi-Fi or something? Cuz my PSN downloads are fine.

Oh, and the PS3 has had different faceplates for a while, the PSN store is basically the counter to XBLA (I'm surprised you haven't downloaded almost all of it, but then again PS3 doesn't like your internet) and such, and I don't like the 360's look even with the faceplates on - it looks like an old Dell computer.

Now "achievements and gamerscore" I don't like, at all, I don't even like Escapist's badges so I just won't go further on that.

Anyway, sorry to hear that your PS3 hates you.

I like watching movie previews, they show me what's going to be a heap load of bullshit :D

But that does suck with the downloading, I always background my downloads and wait but the times are a bit mixed for me, ranging between a few minutes to a few hours.

Besides, I'd hate you if you didn't "use" me for months on months end...

1) You can only rent HD content. AFAIK, none is available for purchase.

2) You seem to have a very slow connection, because the only 3 hour dl I've had was for the HD rental of Hannibal. That was >6GB. Personally, I wait until a video is at 60% before I start watching it, and that goes for my PC as well. Perhaps this is an example of "the soft bigotry of lowered expectations", but I do the same with non-streamed video on the web. for a Buffy episode, this means waiting about 15 minutes after starting before I watch it. I usually use this time to queue up other vids, or check if my PSP needs an update (natch!). The only way I can think of for Sony to have any way of improving DL speeds is charging for the network, which won't happen. So, I compare this service to what my PC offers, and because it's on my TV, it's superior. What are DL speeds like on XBL, and is there a difference between a Live Gold DL and a vanilla Live DL? I didn't see any metrics other than an anecdotal "impression" that XBL vids are better in the consumption. I would like to hear more concrete comparisons.

3) I've seen industry folks complain about the firmware updates on both the PS3 and the PSP, and you've seen my comments. ;) Seriously, if you leave your console off for months, you are going to have to download an update. The complaints have always sounded a bit manufactured to me. I happen to prefer the frequent updates to the alternative: none at all. Can you perhaps give a comparative impression of the update process on the X360/Wii? The DS?

I'm not trying to invalidate your experience; I'm sure you're being accurate about your feelings and that your frustration is genuine. I'm just saying that, just like that relationship that never started, you do have to invest something to get anything out of a relationship. And, just like trying to catch up with an old but not-quite-familiar acquaintance can be uncomfortable or awkward at first, things get easier as you spend more time together and recognize the true benefits of what seemed detrimental at first. I'm sure the reverse experience could be had with someone who prefers their PS3 to the X360 if that person spent the majority of their time with the PS3.

My real criticism of the PS3s video download service is that the downloads seem to be one-time only. When you download games, they go on a list and you can re-download them to the same system an unlimited number of times. This is great if you have HD issues and need to reformat, or if you replace your HD without doing a backup first. Fortunately, I have confirmed that the PS3 backup feature saves your downloaded content. Unfortunately, that is the only current way to ensure you don't have to call support if anything happens to your HD.

I would ask that you try again, but don't wait 2-6 months before you do it. It was unpleasant this time, I hear you. the first time I used the service it was disappointing, so I'm empathetic to your first impression. Subsequent usage has changed my mind. It may do the same for you.

Jumplion:
I like watching movie previews, they show me what's going to be a heap load of bullshit :D

But that does suck with the downloading, I always background my downloads and wait but the times are a bit mixed for me, ranging between a few minutes to a few hours.

Besides, I'd hate you if you didn't "use" me for months on months end...

Maybe that's it. Maybe my PS3 is just throwing a snit and messing with me because it feels neglected.

@Saint Waldo -- not sure what your point about renting vs. purchasing is, though to be perfectly clear, I rented the Standard edition, I did not purchase it.

That is one benefit that the PS3 has over the 360 when it comes to the video service -- you can buy the movies, and have them on your hard drive to watch and re-watch as you see fit. The 360 only has rentals.

When I'm downloading stuff on my PS3 I can hear the *drip* *drip* *drip* of my wasted life.
I had a bad date with my PS3 when I first met it, too. It took me to the back row of the cinema and promised me "good stuff". I've been waiting six months for said stuff, and still not much stuff.

Susan Arendt:
@Saint Waldo -- not sure what your point about renting vs. purchasing is, though to be perfectly clear, I rented the Standard edition, I did not purchase it.

That is one benefit that the PS3 has over the 360 when it comes to the video service -- you can buy the movies, and have them on your hard drive to watch and re-watch as you see fit. The 360 only has rentals.

In the article you said, "I could buy the HD version for $4.99 or standard-definition for a dollar less". I'm pointing out that perhaps you mean "rent" not "buy", because you cannot buy any HD versions that I can find, only rent them.

The ownership issue seems important, to me, at least. :)

No accusations of bias here, just trying to keep it all on the up-and-up.

Alphavillain:
When I'm downloading stuff on my PS3 I can hear the *drip* *drip* *drip* of my wasted life.
I had a bad date with my PS3 when I first met it, too. It took me to the back row of the cinema and promised me "good stuff". I've been waiting six months for said stuff, and still not much stuff.

Are you sure you wanted a PS3 and not a Real Doll?

SaintWaldo:

Susan Arendt:

In the article you said, "I could buy the HD version for $4.99 or standard-definition for a dollar less". I'm pointing out that perhaps you mean "rent" not "buy", because you cannot buy any HD versions that I can find, only rent them.

The ownership issue seems important, to me, at least. :)

No accusations of bias here, just trying to keep it all on the up-and-up.

Hair-splitting at its finest. But I'll make the edit, lest I create confusion.

Susan Arendt:
Hair-splitting at its finest. But I'll make the edit, lest I create confusion.

"Nitpick" classification accepted. Editing appreciated.

So... Can you buy things on PSN or no?

Darth Mobius:
So... Can you buy things on PSN or no?

You can buy games and movies. You can also rent movies.

Ah. thank you for that.

Funny, I had a very similar experience with my 360. I tried renting a movie, only to have it take four days, then just stop downloading as it reached the half way mark. Not impressed. I now play my PS3 a lot more than I used to, I always feel like I'm entertaining my 360 now, instead of the other way round.

Eagle Est1986:
Funny, I had a very similar experience with my 360. I tried renting a movie, only to have it take four days, then just stop downloading as it reached the half way mark. Not impressed. I now play my PS3 a lot more than I used to, I always feel like I'm entertaining my 360 now, instead of the other way round.

Really, four days? Or is that hyperbole? If it takes too long you can stop and restart the download.

And I don't see why not being able to watch a movie prevents you from playing a game. Unless you're the kind of idiot (no offense) that thinks of computing devices as more than a highly complex machine, by which I mean something intelligent with a personality and emotions capable of having a grudge or being spiteful.

To better answer another point raised by SaintWaldo. It's quite possible that future forays into the world of PSN video might be less frustrating, but what's my incentive to try? I can get virtually all of the same content on XBL with no hassle at all. I've never, ever had to wait for a movie I've downloaded from Xbox Live the way I had to wait for Spiderwick. If I have two video services offering the same content, and one is easy to use and one is not, what sense does it make to ever use the latter?

To me it seems quite a double standard to point out flaws in the Ps3 that you yourself actually caused (long ass wait times for updates due to you not playing it. What the hell did you expect was going to happen?), and to actually choose the option that would logically cause the most problems.

If you knew the internet connection would actually cause a problem (due to it actually downloading, rather than streaming), why did you choose the option that would take time well out of proportion to what your connection could handle?

I didn't choose the option that would cause the most problems -- that would've been the HD version, which I did not select. Also, why would I possibly think that my internet connection would be an issue, when performing the exact same function on my 360 had never caused a problem?

Eldritch Warlord:
And I don't see why not being able to watch a movie prevents you from playing a game. Unless you're the kind of idiot (no offense) that thinks of computing devices as more than a highly complex machine, by which I mean something intelligent with a personality and emotions capable of having a grudge or being spiteful.

"Thank you Machine Spirit for our safe arrival."

All these bloody things have their own distinct personality. Get two Dell computers, same config and you'll start to see subtle differences in what they can or can't do over time.

Just wondering...What exactly are the upstreams and downstreams for your internet connection?

I have a friend who owns the PS3. Ever time I go over to play a game it always comes up with that 'update' thing or something he has to download. Whenever he puts a new game in it has to instal. I'm not sure why, but I personally hate it. Didn't we buy a consol to get away from the buffering and installing like you'd get on a PC and just jump straight into the game?

I bought my 360 for Dead Rising only but have lived to love it more. I've never bothered to download a movie from either system so I can't actually add much more onto the discussion. Just agreeing with your points.

The irony is strong here, like the smell of rotting fish.

** makes Susie a strong yet creamy latte with lots of froth **

In the end Susan, coffee fixes everything.

Gunter2:
Are all Americans as stupid as this writer? Please tell me you arn't....

I hope that the misspelling is a joke. Either way, a pretty harsh first post, especially considering how flame-free this thread has been. I hope that the high quality of content on The Escapist convinces you to change your tone for future posts, in which case, welcome.

With regard to Saint Waldo's questions regarding updating for other consoles, I personally only have a Wii besides my PS3 and I do find that the updates for Wii tend to be much quicker, though the frequency of these updates is quite similar. Also, I do find that PS3 updates tend to have a more drastic effect on the system, especially with the major changes to the PSN and undoubtedly due to the complex architecture of the cell processor, which might explain the longer update times.

Either way, I'm thankful for broadband.

Maybe I'll find out about XBL updates when Fable II comes out. :D

What a dull read. Journalist has trouble with their internet connection and manages to stretch that into an entire article?

I fail to see how these are problems with the PS3. I have streaming issues with flash ocassionally and I just stop the video and wait for it to finish caching. If you have not turned on your machine in a long time is it really all that unreasonable that there would be a firmware update waiting for you once you did turn it on?

Eldritch Warlord:

Really, four days? Or is that hyperbole? If it takes too long you can stop and restart the download.

Four days, at least, left on for 24hrs a day.

It doesn't prevent me from playing a game, it was just the final straw for my 360, it was at that point where I had finally had enough with the machine. All of it's little niggles had built up and finally gotten to me, now my PS3 has more of my time. Of course, I still have all my old 360 games and some of those still see some action but I'll only be buying the exclusives in future. I found the entire experience quite odd, because before that I used my consoles in the opposite way, only playing exclusives on my PS3.

thats amazing :)

" I just plain like my 360 better. The 360 has Achievements and a Gamerscore and faceplates and downloadable content and Xbox Live Arcade"

Totally ignorant article, and stinks of desperation to get web hits...

The PS3 has Trophies (like achievements, but better thought out), It's got Gamerscore too (again better thought out). OK it's not got stupid faceplates, but it's got free themes and the ability to make your own, which is MUCH cooler. It's got tonnes of downloadable content, of generally better quality than XBox Live.

The fact that it's all free on PS3, and costs the price of a full price game every year on 360, is pretty significant, You would have to clearly be a deluded fanboy/girl to post this tripe.

Folks, Susan explained that she gets a different speed from her PS3 than from her X360. There are many reasonable causes for this that do not involve Ms. Arendt being in the tank for Microsoft. To name one, it seems possible that a Live Gold account gets fast tracked into a content server with a high bandwidth, something that a Sony account has no subsidy to support. This may explain why some X360 users report slow DLs and others report fast ones. This is also a valid point of comparison on which to make an informed decision. There are other reasons, but that one should provide something other than bias to discuss as a cause of her slow downloads. Unless you are trying to help, and your tone will probably reflect that more than anything, lambasting her connection is a red herring and a non-starter. Let alone insulting her intelligence. I'd like to point out, she's the one who was smart enough to convince several folks to pay her to play video games and then write about it, and, further proof notwithstanding, you aren't.

There is nothing in the article or her responses that should give anyone cause to believe Susan is being intellectually dishonest. This actually happened to her, and she decided to tell people about it. If you don't like it, you will have to find another way of dealing with it than shooting the messenger. Piling on with abuse is certainly not going to change anyone's mind.

OOOO. I wanna jump in! Two days ago I went on PSN and bought Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty. I think it was roughly about a two gig download. Started the process. Five hours later(took my daily constitutional) came back and it was at a paltry 23% complete. I quit the download. So last night I stop by sister's house and my brother-in-law is in the process of downloading the game, literally at a blur! Now I don't know jack about the subtle science of internet connections and the lot. But, I DO know that we have different services, his being the "better" or at least the more known service carrier of the two. So maybe it does make a difference. As far as the Achievements/Gamerscore bit. Like Gunter2 said, your latest update should have added the 'Trophies' attribute to your PS3. Heralded as the response to the Achievement/Gamerscore on the 360. I dont really mind the updates. I enjoy the fact that the PS3 remains current by giving me the free upgrades. Who am I to complain about something that's free? You can buy skins for the PS3 too. I mean they cost an arm and a leg, but hey, if I want my PS3 canary yellow, I better have the loot. By comparison, I find that on my 360 I have to pay for EVERYTHING! The PS3 has quite a bit more freebies as well as an overall free service to game online. Guess I'm a cheap bastard...

All that to say, I had the slow download issue that you had. It sucked. But at this point, both systems are coming so close to being identical with their networks and availible wickets & doo-dads, it really has come down to just bouncing back and forth between systems whenever a new game or 'exclusive' drops. I do however believe that in the long run, with the continual upgrades, the PS3 will outshine the 360. I think SCEA called it a "10 year plan". Until that day though, I will love my systems equally, because they have both given me so much joy!

Nice article, don't give in to the haters. ;)

...oh yeah, and what's wrong with just plain liking one system, or at least playing one more than the other? Im pretty sure this nice Arendt lady isn't some freaky-deaky mutant octopi who can play two systems at once. I mean, I have a home theater system, but I generally 'game' with headphones on. Should I be branded as a "headphone-fanboy" because I wasnt lucky enough to be born with two heads, allowing me to simultaneously and EQUALLY use both availible sources?! I say "kudos" to Susan Arendt for shelling out the duckets to buy a PS3. For those of us who did, it gives us every right to say, what we want about it. Good OR bad.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here