Going Gold: Money for Nothing

Going Gold: Money for Nothing

Even if gaming is "recession proof," that doesn't mean we shouldn't take the opportunity in these strange economic times to think about newer, better ways to make games.

Hell, I'm excited about the new era. Stuff like Braid and Audiosurf are living proof that small teams make better and funner games. I'm even more excited about the new pricing range though: paying 15 bucks a game feels way, way better than dropping 60 and inevitably feeling ripped off because almost no game can live up to that price tag.

Video games should follow the example of movies in reusing props and sets. Graphics engines and physics engines are licensed and reused on several games. Reusing building, car, and character models, especially those based on real world people, places and things just makes sense. Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories reused most of the "set" from GTA: III and that made for a good game at a reasonable price. I would love to go back to Camp Whispering Rock and visit the kids minds. Someone should find something to do with the Assassin's Creed set, and I would love to see what Rapture was like before it fell apart. Reduce, reuse, recycle, it hasn't saved the environment yet but it could help video games.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here