Review: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Review: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

The Force is not strong with this one.

Read Full Article

Eh, I believe the game at least deserves a rent from a Star Wars fan. The camera isn't that bad, and a great story alone is enough to bring a mediocre game up to at least a passable one (look at jrpgs.)

I'm starting to think I have magic powers though, as every time I accurately grabbed and threw the enemy I actually intended to all I could think was "I swear people said that would be hard to get right." And the game never glitched for me once.

Maybe it likes me? I wouldn't blame it, and this would explain why I seemed to play a completely different game to everyone who reviews it. Or maybe we just went in expecting different things.

As many problems as I had with this game (posted already on another review) i still enjoyed playing it and it's a GREAT saturday rental.

Err good story? Are we even playing the same game? it was terrible! And am I the only one who noticed the one or two minor liberties they took with the force?

I have heard that it was the best for the wii, but i haven't gotten it yet.

I rented a copy for my wii and I had alot of fun with it. If you are a star wars fan the game won't be too dissapointing. I don't recommend buying it though. There is really only about 6 to 7 hours of gameplay and the dueling mode for the game only lets you duel against another player who has to be sitting next to you. The graphics are not very impressive for the wii either, but its a decent way to spend a couple of afternoons.

You want them to be punished for making a bad game, I say punish them for letting go of their staff before they had the chance to finish the game. It had potential, it could have been fun, but at that stage in the dev cycle, there are always tons of issues to be ironed out. LucasArts let the team go before they had the chance to finish it, and it really shows.

I had it gifted to me for the Xbox 360, and have zero regrets!

I played it through once on the 2 out of 4 difficulty level, and I had a few complaints, but overall it was a good experience. I would buy it used for $20-$40 when it gets that low.

My complaints: I'm apparently not a good enough platform jumper - I'd fall to my death many times trying to get a long jump to a small platform - and then have to start from the previous save point (the 'Save Game' feature is a joke, it's non-functional). I didn't experience these random 'invisible walls' the reviewer talks about, although there were some Force Cubes I couldn't seem to get to. The game only locked up on me twice. My big complaint is the boss fights: the camera becomes fixed - so aiming becomes much more dificult, as does keeping track of where you and your nemesis are, if either (or both) happen to be off-screen, or so small and immobile that you can't see them anyway.

Overall though, I rather liked the game. I had to get over my lightsaber fetish, though, as it's much more effective to grab people and toss them away like the trash they are! The graphics were decent enough, but I wish I could have played on a TV with a higher resolution... 800x600 doesn't do the game justice on a 27" screen.

The one thing I was really dissapointed with though is the almost complete lack of replay-ability. I missed the RPG elements of KotOR, where you can go and choose different paths and the game would be completely different (or, at least, different enough to warrant another go). The other impression I get is the same impression some reviewers got with Bioshock - it doesn't matter how much you suck, you'll eventually get hammed in to getting through it. There was no real penalty for death, other than having to replay a few minutes of game. I really swear that if the game detects you reloading more than twice, the AI gets dumber for you. Also, other than shock and throw, other force powers never need to get used, and the combo system is 80% unused as well. I had three ways to get past people - throw them, chop them with the saber (the sabre, sabre, shock, shock combo), or just shocking them to death. That's all I needed.

However, compared to some other efforts in the Star Wars genre, this is a good enough game, and I would recommend at least the once-through for any fan. Like Portal, view this game as more of a technical exercise than a true game, and you'll be happy. (The ending made Portal, and the 'bwaaaaah fear me' makes this game)

I heard the Wii version fares a bit better than its PS3 and 360 counterparts... I'll find out this weekend when I rent it.

From what I'm starting to hear, the Wii version actually is the best; that's due more to the multiplayer than anything else, though. Also, the game-crashing bugs I encountered don't seem to be there on the 360 version of the game. Apparently the PS3 version is the only one that's actually problematic.

Unavoidable quick time events against certain enemies? Come on that is just a stupid complain. Nobody complained about the unavoidable QTE's in God of War but here it's a complain. My only complain with the QTE's in the boss battles (because that's the only time where you have to do them) is that you don't have to do much. Press 4-5 buttons and there you go you win.

I also never had problems with the camera or the auto lock on system (I played the PS3 version) and I used the force a lot.

The combat is basically like in God of War and NOT repetitive. You can learn many combos (and some of them are even useful like the lightning sword) and with the force you can make them look nice.

Personally I would say at least rent the game and play it. It's fun but not great. If you like God of War you will probably like SW:TFU

Oh and I only died through a graphic bug once and that was in the last level and I had to make 10 steps kill 3 guys until I was there were I died. OMG this sucked!!!!!!

Anyway the review is just bad.

Yea, I felt the review what written by someone under the influence, or the ps3 version sucks.

Also, other than shock and throw, other force powers never need to get used, and the combo system is 80% unused as well. I had three ways to get past people - throw them, chop them with the saber (the sabre, sabre, shock, shock combo), or just shocking them to death. That's all I needed.

later in the game that doesn't always work. I personally use a good percentage of the combos I buy. Although that is one of the best combos to spam..

Vlane:

Oh and I only died through a graphic bug once and that was in the last level and I had to make 10 steps kill 3 guys until I was there were I died. OMG this sucked!!!!!!

Look, the rest of your points... they're your opinion. I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree... but that particular comment of yours just reinforced my stance that the game is broken in certain parts.

The game wasn't that bad, in fact I quite enjoyed it

The manager at my local EB games said that Lucasarts was planning on fixing all the bugs from the console versions and re-releasing it on the PC, so who knows. Also, every single version of The Force Unleashed is different in some way. Maybe the XBOX, or the PS2, or maybe the handheld versions will be better.

I played it for PS2 and it didn't have many of the problems you talked about. I thought it was a great game, rent it though, I beat it in like 2 days.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here