170: Careful What You Wish For

Pages PREV 1 2

that was an incredibly heart warming article. it almost makes me believe in humanity again.

But im still as against buying gold as i ever was.

still, bravo.

This is all well and good but internet frends are dispensible. They can join new guilds, start new characters, change games or just stop playing; your brother will find himself with new friends, he will be happy but the money your family spent will have been wasted. I would rather this article have a different ending as your brother has been set up to learn a lesson later in life about buying friends and what happens to a fool and their money.

Excellent article Brendan.

hypothetical fact:
This is all well and good but internet frends are dispensible. They can join new guilds, start new characters, change games or just stop playing; your brother will find himself with new friends, he will be happy but the money your family spent will have been wasted. I would rather this article have a different ending as your brother has been set up to learn a lesson later in life about buying friends and what happens to a fool and their money.

This is the way with all video games: few people who meet over the Internet are kept as close friends for appreciable amounts of time (you always get those people who end up marrying each other, however). Interests change, people change, the games change, and with it, the time you've invested in each other is put to an end. I've lost contact with the dozens of former clan mates from Counter-Strike or World in Conflict; I went to CPL with one two years ago, before college started, but we lost track of each other afterward. The important thing is that all the time I spent with them was enjoyable and prolonged my time along-side them.

Who cares what Brendan did with his gold; he helped his friends, helped himself, has a great family, and really understands what it means to play games. You can't get much of a better ending than that.

As The Extremist, I'm horrified to admit that I have no hard-line opinion on the selling and purchasing of in-game items and/or gold.

It is worth noting, however, that trading real world currency for in-game stuff is expressly forbidden by both Arena.Net and Blizzard and is grounds for banning (if someone were to rat you out, of course). That's not a chance I'm willing to take with my Guild Wars account.

I found CCP's approach to the problem quite interesting. Eve Online actually has a legal market for trading real world money for isk (Eve money). The conversion is relatively fixed, but unlike Second Life it's not reversible (you can't trade isk for real money -- only game time).

Just wanted to say it was an awesome article to read.
gold farming has it's two sides just like everything. Still for some people who played MMO's they can imagine the bloody grinding for money. Driving you crazy and wasting your time. Just to buy something you might throw away 1 month later, which would be the time some might farm to get that.

Though the allure to go to a gold farming site is just immense, just to by pass all that bullshit. Man personally I thought of even downloading a bot to do the grinding for me.
I stopped playing MMO's mainly because it got so boring after all the farming and grinding. A rough guess is that I did 1/4 of real fun playing and I bet 1/4 of grinding and farming and the other half waiting or other small things.

But imo the whole article isn't about the whole gold farming aspect of gaming, I believe the philosophy at the end about "playing" is the whole drive. I believe many people forgot that along the way, if you could sometimes hear the screaming through mic's to other people just because they made a small mistake. Kinda takes the fun out of it.

Great article really enjoyed it. :)

That was a great story mate. Heart warming indeed.

I think most gamers could seriously learn from that kid... on another note this article is making me fire up guild wars again for another go.

Edit: Honestly so could people in general. A very Utopian ideology if it was practiced by most of society.

Brilliant story. Loved every minute of it. There should be more people like your brother.

The last line played a little ba-dum tish for me.

made me think of my young days of gaming, i understand how it feels, though its a great read that kept me interested, great job, hope you continue

This...Is the most beautiful effin' story I've heard.

Soooo, did you explain it to the parents? I wouldn't want them to angst over nothing.

I am VERY impressed with their research, though. There's no way my family would go to that much effort!

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here