Zero Punctuation: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

BBQ Platypus:

Bakery:
I also saw the new SW trilogy before the old one and I think it's better.

You know, you're about the second person I've ever encountered who has said that. And frankly, I find it positively baffling - nay, FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE that anyone would think that. HOW!?!?!? HOW is it better!? By what measure!?

Seriously, I was on the debate team - I have a good idea of how to find the good parts of an argument, and even how to argue for it myself. But I honestly cannot even BEGIN to think of a good reason why the prequel trilogy was better than the original, much less build a convincing case. This leads me to believe that you do not, in fact, think this is the case for any logical reason, but rather want to believe this for the sake of being a contrarian. You think you're a "rebel" for going against popular opinion, but in fact you're playing right into the hands of a billionaire who stopped giving a shit about 20 years ago. I honestly can't think of any other logical reason why someone might say what you just said.

Yes, I know opinions are subjective. That doesn't stop me from saying that yours is bullshit.

I'm with bakery on this one. Actually, I saw the originals before the prequels, and I honestly liked the prequels better. And I've got a couple good reasons:

1.) A more in-depth view of the force- F*** Midi-chlorians , other than being mentioned, it doesn't change a thing about how awesome the Jedi are. But first, yes I know- A Jedi cannot fall in love. That sucks, but It makes sense when you think about it.(In reality, Lust could make someone do some pretty bad stuff at times. Love could lead to lust(Not all the time, obviously), and lust would lead to corruption, so the Jedi didn't want a chance with that. Oh, crap, I got sidetracked. Anyways, back on topic...)
2.)General Grievous- Enough said.
3.)Some memorable scenes for those who appreciate- The Arena battle on Geonosis, The "Unveiling" of the Clone Army, and also Order 66 are truly memorable parts in the prequels.
4.)The CGI- I've got no Idea why everyone whines about this: The effects look a lot much better than the originals(at least, in my opinion), and those already looked cool. The CGI definitely looked cool in some parts, like the battle over coruscant(The explosions were awesome and the cruisers were too.)
5.)Definitely a lot more emotion: While Episodes I and II weren't so stirring, Episode III was, Especially with Order 66 and seeing the Jedi cut down by their troops, Not to mention Anakin's Sith transformation.

Looking back, there might have been a few flaws with the prequels, but nothing big that diminishes how I feel about all III.

One last thing: Ever been to any of the "Celebrations" or at least see the fan-base? If you think their views are B.S., then you've got a lot of debating...

Uh-oh, my post here is smelling like a rant/flaming. I better stop here.

This is all off-topic but I just can't help myself.

BBQ Platypus:

Seriously, I was on the debate team - I have a good idea of how to find the good parts of an argument, and even how to argue for it myself. But I honestly cannot even BEGIN to think of a good reason why the prequel trilogy was better than the original, much less build a convincing case.

You mustn't have been too good if you can't find one thing better. I also would like to add that you could continue this arguement in one of the off-topic forums, which is where this sort of thing is meant to be. Just a suggestion.

D'Awwwwww. Yahtzee's so Cute with that Anime style blush at 0:37.

Every time i see Darth Vader from the prequels in the corner shaking, crying and saying "waaa me mum died" I start crying from how funny it is. Oh, the tears

i have the Xbox 360 versoin it worked fine. all i did was download a demo of it on xbox live market place first. it is a good game Wii would be hard to use for me but i just perfer xbox over the Wii

First off, I don't know why people are harping on this review. I found it better than last week's. Then again, I one of you silly people who actually play a game before it is reviewed. What's the point of watching a review about a game you've already wasted your money on, and already know whether you like it or not?

Anyways, I really loved how he kept pushing. There kept being jokes that were good enough to end on, but then he'd take it further. And the next joke was even funnier. This is actually one the better reviews in recent memory.

Now to do the obligatory "respondgripe at the posters:

perfectimo:
I also would like to add that you could continue this arguement in one of the off-topic forums, which is where this sort of thing is meant to be. Just a suggestion.

You do realize that you yourself are participating in a thread that you think should be taken to the off-topic forums? And that, if it were really that off topic, the mods (and not you) would make that suggestion?

This next one doesn't get a quote. But please, people, learn how to spell midi-chlorian. I haven't even seen the prequels and I know that.

trlkly:
First off, I don't know why people are harping on this review. I found it better than last week's. Then again, I one of you silly people who actually play a game before it is reviewed. What's the point of watching a review about a game you've already wasted your money on, and already know whether you like it or not?

Anyways, I really loved how he kept pushing. There kept being jokes that were good enough to end on, but then he'd take it further. And the next joke was even funnier. This is actually one the better reviews in recent memory.

Now to do the obligatory "respondgripe at the posters:

perfectimo:
I also would like to add that you could continue this arguement in one of the off-topic forums, which is where this sort of thing is meant to be. Just a suggestion.

You do realize that you yourself are participating in a thread that you think should be taken to the off-topic forums? And that, if it were really that off topic, the mods (and not you) would make that suggestion?

This next one doesn't get a quote. But please, people, learn how to spell midi-chlorian. I haven't even seen the prequels and I know that.

Thankyou very much, I hadn't realised when I said "This is all off-topic but I just can't help myself." that I was off topic, I should really read what I write, hey?

You can't see it being off topic discussing which movie trilogy was better in a forum in response to a game review?

I know this is off topic a bit since we are in a SW:TFU thread, and not a prequel one, but episode 3 is my pick for the top Star Wars film. While it didn't break the sci-fi mold like episode 4 it was almost flawless. If the really retarded, and lame romantic dialogue between "Ani", and Padme was fixed I would have no complaints. However, seeing as how I doubt Lucas has had a real relationship with a female before getting rich I can forgive the fact he has no capability to make a layered character love relation.

Back on topic, I honestly love Yahtzee's reviews, but lately they are starting to get repetitive, and rather incoherent. I am starting to gain an understanding with the people who argue there should be some sort of grading system. To put it bluntly it's becoming impossible to know definitively whether he enjoyed the game at all. While Yahtzee has always put even his favored games under his nit-picking microscope he would at least make it clear if he recommends a game or not by the finale in the video. However, now it seems as if he flips a coin to decide whether to just completely bash the game, or will even mention the silver lining. It's important to not take the reviews too seriously, but at the same time it's refreshing to hear a cynics opinion to burst the stagnant hype bubble created by so many companies these days. Especially with flawed games like GTA IV, and MGS4 receiving perfect scores from everyone except the people who actually had to pay for them.

Finally, what the hell is the deal with the comments like, "finally someone who sees the truth about SW:TFU.", or comments about agreeing with Yahtzee's criticisms, but then make it apparent they are talking about the 360/PS3 versions when it was the Wii version being bashed. First off, the average scores the game has been receiving is in the mid 7.0 range. I fail to see how the game receiving a mediocre score adds any weight to the argument that the game is receiving undeserved credit. I really doubt Yahtzee is going to think more kindly of people kissing his ass! In fact it will most likely make him hate you even more then he already does, and yes it is pretty obvious that HE HATES YOU!

Summed it up quite well.

perfectimo:

BBQ Platypus:

Seriously, I was on the debate team - I have a good idea of how to find the good parts of an argument, and even how to argue for it myself. But I honestly cannot even BEGIN to think of a good reason why the prequel trilogy was better than the original, much less build a convincing case.

You mustn't have been too good if you can't find one thing better. I also would like to add that you could continue this arguement in one of the off-topic forums, which is where this sort of thing is meant to be. Just a suggestion.

Sorry for the double post, but I had to comment on this. Platypus obviously you must have been sleeping through your sessions. You claim to know the "fundamentals" of debating, but considering how one of the most important lessons is that a good debater can create a strong argument for any topic. In all honesty a 5 year old could make a valid argument with something as simple as the special effects, or sound quality.

I wouldn't be too optimistic about the Xbox 360 version, since it is also absolute balls for a whole host of reasons which make me wonder if the designers ever actually played the game before they shipped it.

I really liked TFU for the 360, good destructive fun.

Awesome review again. Felt the same on this game as Merc2; played the demo and was severely underwhelmed by it. Had a few people try to tell me it was good and the story line excellent to which they received a quick slap to the face and now I can point them in the direction of this video.

Excellent review, one of my favorites of Yahtzee's so far.

Actually, the Wii version generally considered one of the better versions of the game. There is zero platforming in the game, and while I would normally say that's bad, apparently the 360/PS3 version did it badly enough that people would rather not have it at all. The Wii/PS2/PSP versions also got extra force powers. For the Wii, forget trying to do combos like "up down" yatta yatta and just swing again as soon as your last swing ends in the game, and you ought to combo well enough. But yeah, I dig the force powers. And I was surprised how well the "Force Locks" and "Saber Locks" work in the game. It's better than a traditional quick-time event, wouldn't you say? I mean, you hate all games with quick-time events except for the mother-of-all-quicktime events games, the God of War series (well daughter, I guess Shenmue would be the mother), so at least spicing it up with a bit more realism and predictability has to count for something, yeah?

Ok I agree, though he got one thing clearly wrong: It's not the Wii's but the developers fault. If Nintendo made this game themselves then it would have way better graphics and good combat as they seem to be the only ones who know to make good graphics and controles on the Wii unlike nearly every 3rd-party developer.

Now if you want good lightsaber combat then go play No More Heroes. The sequel has been announced already as well.

Another awesome thread, although I felt there was a little less angst in this one than usual. Nonetheless, LOVELY!

funny:

I found the game gladly free of references to the forbidden three films (no characters clone troopers etc). I played ont he PS3 and found the game play fine but the in game graphics were far better than the FMV cut scenes (but how!).

I'd also like to wave a flag for the story line, which contributed to the star wars universe well instead of indulging in gratuitous self indulgence. If more films today had the stroy telling qualities found in games today, I'd be a much happier bunny.

Although, really, a man who can pull star destroyers out of orbit, defeat vader AND the Emporer in the same room? After the pod racing, starhip killing, droid building antics of Anekin as well, Luke is begining ot look a bit of a pansy as jedi go.

When "the" light saber is a gloried vibrator bat the game is going to suck.

Oi and devs...control mapping..relearn it not everyone plays the same....

yahtzee...i am seriously thinking of naming my first born son after you...o and no pc version of this game i see....two words come to mind....thank god....

And the moral of the story is never buy the Wii version. I feel bad for those who have bought a Wii.

Should have played the ps2 version to be honest... same goes for mercs2, that would have amused you/us more I think.
But I'll be getting this at some point for my ps3 I imagine your probally right about it sucking but I work in a computer game store and can't slag stuff off in good concience without having played it.

Dead right. The prequel trilogy is a fun little diversion. Entertaining for laser shoot-outs and acrobatic Lightsaber duels. They are not, NOT Star Wars.

Haha well done yahtzee you have cmilbed out of the slump you were in :)

Wii is RUBIIIISSSHH. Plus nothing will beat KOTOR.

Best part is that my room mate and I both played different versions of the game the day that it came out. I ended up with the 360 version, and he ended up with the Wii version. We started at essentially the same time, he ended his game several hours before mine, but both of us ended up completing the game (for me with both endings) in a single day.
I was honestly disappointed by a game that received so much hype, even after the release, when it gave myself (and I know I'm not the only one) so little gameplay and challenge, and in my opinion, even less replayability.... Good shot Lucasarts. Better luck next time.

now from watching this, note to self: never buy SWTFU on wii or in fact never buy SWTFU at all!

other than that hilarious video, never fails to entertain me

just keep at it! o and btw can you review Overlord Raising Hell on PS3? if you can thanks very much!!!

Still one to be rememberd but you have to wonder why did it go wrong

The Ruiner:

perfectimo:

BBQ Platypus:

Sorry for the double post, but I had to comment on this. Platypus obviously you must have been sleeping through your sessions. You claim to know the "fundamentals" of debating, but considering how one of the most important lessons is that a good debater can create a strong argument for any topic. In all honesty a 5 year old could make a valid argument with something as simple as the special effects, or sound quality.

I said I couldn't think of a GOOD reason. You know, something to do with the fucking STORY or CHARACTERS. Special effects and sound do NOT a good film make. I'm pretty sure even a five year old knows that.

COR 2000:

I'm with bakery on this one. Actually, I saw the originals before the prequels, and I honestly liked the prequels better. And I've got a couple good reasons:

I respect the fact that you've actually given reasons. But because I am obsessive, I've decided to respond to all of them.

1.) A more in-depth view of the force- F*** Midi-chlorians , other than being mentioned, it doesn't change a thing about how awesome the Jedi are. But first, yes I know- A Jedi cannot fall in love. That sucks, but It makes sense when you think about it.(In reality, Lust could make someone do some pretty bad stuff at times. Love could lead to lust(Not all the time, obviously), and lust would lead to corruption, so the Jedi didn't want a chance with that. Oh, crap, I got sidetracked. Anyways, back on topic...)

I actually think that the way the Jedi were portrayed in the prequels cheapened the whole idea of what a Jedi was. In the original trilogy, when the Force was purely a spiritual phenomenon, the strength of a Jedi was measured by who he or she was - by his wisdom, morals, inner strength, and character. In the prequels, however, a Jedi was defined by what they can DO. Since Force sensitivity was revealed to be something physical that you have to be BORN with (making it accessible only to a privileged few), the Force was basically reduced to being superpowers that attach themselves to random people.

Furthermore, through their various actions and inactions throughout the trilogy, they reveal themselves not only to be total assholes, but idiots as well. Behold the stupidity and general dickery:

1. Why didn't they make any effort to free the slaves on Tatooine? They seemed bothered by it while they were on the planet. If they couldn't do it, why didn't they at least try to buy back Anakin's mom? Nothing was stopping them. Did they feel she was better off that way? I understand if they don't want Jedi to have any contact with their families, but it makes sense that the Jedi would want to combat slavery. I mean, slavery is illegal, right? And the Jedi are supposed to be guardians of peace and justice, correct? So what the hell is stopping them? It's never explained. I'd at least like an explanation for why this didn't happen.
2. In Episode II, they find MORE than enough evidence to uncover the conspiracy against the Republic, and yet they do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Not only do they uncover an unauthorized clone army that was commissioned by a dead Jedi, which could be linked to the Separatists by way of Count Dooku, but they were flat-out TOLD by Count Dooku that this was the case! He MONOLOGUED the entire plot to Obi-Wan while he was captured in his own compound! And not only do they do nothing about it between the second and third films, they actually FIGHT ALONGSIDE THIS ARMY! I understand that the Jedi are supposed to be weaker and more arrogant during this point in galactic history, but that doesn't mean they have to be completely retarded.
3. When they finally do find out that Palpatine is behind it all, Samuel L. Jackson decides to go arrest him without telling anybody else about what he is doing. You know, in case they all get killed. This isn't as big a problem as the other two, but it helps pad my list out to three. Three is better than two, don't you agree?

I agree that the notion that a Jedi cannot fall in love gives a lot of insight into the inner workings of the order, and has the potential to make for a very interesting storyline. Unfortunately, that storyline is not in these movies. Instead, we get two pieces of cardboard showing their love for each other by...well, by blandly telling each other, I guess. I guess if they talk about it enough, that makes it the case. The romance between Anakin and Padme felt bland and contrived to me, which is why I consider Episode II to be the worst of the three prequels. It was almost as boring and wangsty as Spider-Man 3. At least in that movie, you didn't hear Peter Parker talking about how he hates sand.

Hmm. I always considered him an interchangeable villain thrown in to fill time. He never really showed me anything particularly interesting. I've heard he was better in that online Clone Wars series, but I've never seen it, so I wouldn't know. I'm just going by the films.

3.)Some memorable scenes for those who appreciate- The Arena battle on Geonosis, The "Unveiling" of the Clone Army, and also Order 66 are truly memorable parts in the prequels.

Indeed, there are a few moments within the trilogy where the quality and mythic power of the original seem to be present. The lightsaber fight in Episode I and Order 66 are two good examples of this. Unfortunately, they are few and far between, especially when compared to the OT (the Star Destroyer passing overhead, Han shooting first, "Everything is fine here - how are you?", the blaster fight in the corridor, the Death Star trench run - and that's just the first film).

I think there would have been more of these moments if the main characters were actually people worth caring about. Anakin was a whiny, petulant jerk from the get-to, while Padme was...well, I actually can't think of much to say about her. She was just...there, I guess. Ewan McGregor does a pretty good Alec Guinness impersonation, but the only reason I really cared about Obi-Wan was my memory of the character from the original trilogy.

4.)The CGI- I've got no Idea why everyone whines about this: The effects look a lot much better than the originals(at least, in my opinion), and those already looked cool. The CGI definitely looked cool in some parts, like the battle over coruscant(The explosions were awesome and the cruisers were too.)

It's not the quality of the CGI that people complain about, but rather the flagrant overuse of it. Why, for instance, did the clone armor have to be CGI? Couldn't they have just worn practical costumes like in the originals? Those worked just fine back then. The CGI in this case just seems stupid and superfluous. There are a bunch of other examples, but this one I think sums up the rest quite well.

5.)Definitely a lot more emotion: While Episodes I and II weren't so stirring, Episode III was, Especially with Order 66 and seeing the Jedi cut down by their troops, Not to mention Anakin's Sith transformation.

The only one that I consider to be worth a crap in that department is Episode III (which still has plenty of problems, but at least feels like an actual Star Wars film). Episode I was pretty much just a CGI spectacle, while Episode II was wangst personified. In any case, I don't think any of them match the amount of dramatic tension present in The Empire Strikes Back. Not only did we have "I am your father," but also Han getting frozen in carbonite. And Han and Leia revealed more in a five-word exchange ("I love you." "I know.") than Anakin and Padme could in an entire movie.

Again, Episode III seems to come closer than any of the prequels to the mythic and dramatic power that the originals held. However, even this film carried a lot of crap alongside it. (I mean, did Anakin ever REALLY change? He had already killed children and made a passing remark that advocated for a dictatorship in Episode II).

Overall, I expected more from a series of Star Wars films. Honestly, I felt more of a dramatic connection with some of the licensed video games, like the Jedi Knight series or Knights of the Old Republic. It is for this reason that I'm rather skeptical of a game that aspires to link the two trilogies. To me, they are VERY different to the point where they don't really match up and fit together all that well.

(See? There. The post is on-topic now).

Bakery:
It's actually pretty funny how hypocritical Mr Croshaw is.

He says that people are stupid for saying older versions of games are better (ie Mario Sunshine/Twilight Princess vs Mario 64/Ocarina of Time) and yet he maintains that the original Starwars is better than the newer ones...odd.

I played Sunshine and Twilight Princess before 64 and OoT and think they're both better. I also saw the new SW trilogy before the old one and I think it's better. I don't understand the problem people have with them.

I don't necessarily see any hypocrisy. Sometimes sentimentality makes us think old stuff was better than it actually was; but sometimes the old stuff was good.

Sentimentality can works backwards too, since it's relative and tied to the experiences of the individual. Someone might have played Mario 64 when it was new, and think it's better than both Mario Sunshine and Super Mario World. Just like you might prefer the new trilogy because you saw it first, and it had a greater subjective impact than the original three for whatever reason. I'm not actually saying you're being sentimental; just that the issue is more complex than "old stuff is better!"...

BBQ Platypus:

The Ruiner:

perfectimo:

BBQ Platypus:

I said I couldn't think of a GOOD reason. You know, something to do with the fucking STORY or CHARACTERS. Special effects and sound do NOT a good film make. I'm pretty sure even a five year old knows that.

COR 2000:

I respect the fact that you've actually given reasons. But because I am obsessive, I've decided to respond to all of them.

I actually think that the way the Jedi were portrayed in the prequels cheapened the whole idea of what a Jedi was. In the original trilogy, when the Force was purely a spiritual phenomenon, the strength of a Jedi was measured by who he or she was - by his wisdom, morals, inner strength, and character. In the prequels, however, a Jedi was defined by what they can DO. Since Force sensitivity was revealed to be something physical that you have to be BORN with (making it accessible only to a privileged few), the Force was basically reduced to being superpowers that attach themselves to random people.

Furthermore, through their various actions and inactions throughout the trilogy, they reveal themselves not only to be total assholes, but idiots as well. Behold the stupidity and general dickery:

1. Why didn't they make any effort to free the slaves on Tatooine? They seemed bothered by it while they were on the planet. If they couldn't do it, why didn't they at least try to buy back Anakin's mom? Nothing was stopping them. Did they feel she was better off that way? I understand if they don't want Jedi to have any contact with their families, but it makes sense that the Jedi would want to combat slavery. I mean, slavery is illegal, right? And the Jedi are supposed to be guardians of peace and justice, correct? So what the hell is stopping them? It's never explained. I'd at least like an explanation for why this didn't happen.
2. In Episode II, they find MORE than enough evidence to uncover the conspiracy against the Republic, and yet they do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Not only do they uncover an unauthorized clone army that was commissioned by a dead Jedi, which could be linked to the Separatists by way of Count Dooku, but they were flat-out TOLD by Count Dooku that this was the case! He MONOLOGUED the entire plot to Obi-Wan while he was captured in his own compound! And not only do they do nothing about it between the second and third films, they actually FIGHT ALONGSIDE THIS ARMY! I understand that the Jedi are supposed to be weaker and more arrogant during this point in galactic history, but that doesn't mean they have to be completely retarded.
3. When they finally do find out that Palpatine is behind it all, Samuel L. Jackson decides to go arrest him without telling anybody else about what he is doing. You know, in case they all get killed. This isn't as big a problem as the other two, but it helps pad my list out to three. Three is better than two, don't you agree?

I agree that the notion that a Jedi cannot fall in love gives a lot of insight into the inner workings of the order, and has the potential to make for a very interesting storyline. Unfortunately, that storyline is not in these movies. Instead, we get two pieces of cardboard showing their love for each other by...well, by blandly telling each other, I guess. I guess if they talk about it enough, that makes it the case. The romance between Anakin and Padme felt bland and contrived to me, which is why I consider Episode II to be the worst of the three prequels. It was almost as boring and wangsty as Spider-Man 3. At least in that movie, you didn't hear Peter Parker talking about how he hates sand.

Hmm. I always considered him an interchangeable villain thrown in to fill time. He never really showed me anything particularly interesting. I've heard he was better in that online Clone Wars series, but I've never seen it, so I wouldn't know. I'm just going by the films.

Indeed, there are a few moments within the trilogy where the quality and mythic power of the original seem to be present. The lightsaber fight in Episode I and Order 66 are two good examples of this. Unfortunately, they are few and far between, especially when compared to the OT (the Star Destroyer passing overhead, Han shooting first, "Everything is fine here - how are you?", the blaster fight in the corridor, the Death Star trench run - and that's just the first film).

I think there would have been more of these moments if the main characters were actually people worth caring about. Anakin was a whiny, petulant jerk from the get-to, while Padme was...well, I actually can't think of much to say about her. She was just...there, I guess. Ewan McGregor does a pretty good Alec Guinness impersonation, but the only reason I really cared about Obi-Wan was my memory of the character from the original trilogy.

It's not the quality of the CGI that people complain about, but rather the flagrant overuse of it. Why, for instance, did the clone armor have to be CGI? Couldn't they have just worn practical costumes like in the originals? Those worked just fine back then. The CGI in this case just seems stupid and superfluous. There are a bunch of other examples, but this one I think sums up the rest quite well.

The only one that I consider to be worth a crap in that department is Episode III (which still has plenty of problems, but at least feels like an actual Star Wars film). Episode I was pretty much just a CGI spectacle, while Episode II was wangst personified. In any case, I don't think any of them match the amount of dramatic tension present in The Empire Strikes Back. Not only did we have "I am your father," but also Han getting frozen in carbonite. And Han and Leia revealed more in a five-word exchange ("I love you." "I know.") than Anakin and Padme could in an entire movie.

Again, Episode III seems to come closer than any of the prequels to the mythic and dramatic power that the originals held. However, even this film carried a lot of crap alongside it. (I mean, did Anakin ever REALLY change? He had already killed children and made a passing remark that advocated for a dictatorship in Episode II).

Overall, I expected more from a series of Star Wars films. Honestly, I felt more of a dramatic connection with some of the licensed video games, like the Jedi Knight series or Knights of the Old Republic. It is for this reason that I'm rather skeptical of a game that aspires to link the two trilogies. To me, they are VERY different to the point where they don't really match up and fit together all that well.

(See? There. The post is on-topic now).

Okay, this has run its course, but I appreciate you giving a more thorough reason for hating.
So I'm just pointing out a couple of flaws here:

1.)Count Dooku revealing the truth to Obi-Wan- Count Dooku Was a sith master, and even though he was pretty convincing(From a character's point of view.), The Jedi were aware that he could've been lying and didn't want to take a chance by Apprehending palpatine without enough evidence to back it up. They did heed it as a warning, though.
2.)Grievous- I'll admit, he didn't have a lot of screen time, but take a peek at the Clone wars series and you'll Drop your jaw. Possibly.
3.)Anakin Skywalker: Guys, he's not a total "whiny emo loser". I know, he did get emotional when his mom died, but then again, who hasn't? Also with the end of Episode III, He was on his way to becoming a sith, so the transformation was pretty dramatic and it started corrupting him. Besides, he's had more Cheerio moments, like in the beginning of the film and The Clone wars series.
4.)Clone Trooper CGI Armor:Oh, c'mon, Now you're just nit-picking! Besides, it honestly looks a lot more rugged and cooler.
5.)The Memorable scenes: They're sort of like Valve games: Far and in between, but Jaw-dropping. I mean, Order 66 was sad, The Geonosian arena and Clone invasion were spectacular, and The End of Episode III on Mustafar was both Awesome and sad, and having to see the friendship between Anakin and Obi-wan Collapse immediately was so astounding.
6.)Tatooine Slaves: Watto refused to let the other slaves go, and he couldn't be brain-washed with Jedi mind trick. Also, he only accepted Tatooine credits, so buying the slaves out wouldn't have worked, since Qui-Gon Jinn only had republic credits.

Okay, that wraps it up. This has been a fun little debate, hasn't it?

Mmmmmmmm the new eps are more simplistic/basic/lesser than in story telling and acting, the originals have better actors and a better script/dialog IMO.

It would be nice if Lucas could set a mandate to to use the old films as a base use proper actors and re do eps 1-6 with better scripts and effects I would not mind this even it done in CGI but now adays the rush to mass market media even if it would sale as well with "smart" acting and writing is just too much too not damage anything made now.....games....films all dumbed down and marketed down to consumers....

For once, I was expecting some rationality from you, Yahtzee. It's pretty heavily established now that when it comes to multiplatform games, the ones that they actually DO put on the Wii are either a mere PS2 spin-off with motion controls that are less responsive than Okami Wii edition (not that the game was bad, but it coincidentially IS a PS2 port with tacky motion controls) with the sensor bar behind the T.V., or games like this that claim to actually try and make swinging the Wii Remote for every attack that involves something relatively weapon-like seem like it isn't the most overly abused function of Wii's controls--Such controls sucked in Okami, got old in Twilight Princess, was unpolished in Soulcaibur Legends, as well as in this game. This is all coming from a gamer who a fan of both Star Wars (Hobbits and wizards can lick my salty thigh) and Nintendo. For now, I would say Super Mario Galaxy did good with Wii's motion controls, and that No More Heroes took the best route with the swing-sword motion controls, saving it for QTE-esque finishers that are as satisfying as the visceral results they present.

P.S., Don't tell me you actually SAW Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Yahtzee?

So.. I got that the Wii Sucks and George Lucas is a Money Grubbing Whore that doesn't care how bad he ruins his creations as long as it brings him money. Both of those things I allready knew, so how was the game??

I actually already played it, beat it again on the hardest difficulty, got all 1000 achievement points and traded it in 6 days after it came out for $35 less then what I paid for it. Its fun for awhile but it gets old fast and I knew I'd never play it again soo..

The thing about CGI is considering the number of retakes and the cost of live filming it is cheaper to have the clone troopers CGI, I mean actors have unions but computer geeks-I-Mean technicians can can be worked much harded to get the end result.

I can accept CGI for a big complex moving monster that would be impossible to make with animatronics or stop motion, but I think Spielberg handled CGI best with his Jurrassic Park by seamlessly fusing animatronics for the close ups and CGI for the short duration, long-distance, moving shots.

But as impressive as CGI is now, even on the close up shots, animatronics look better as the textures are right and the motion can be much more precisely controlled but it is a LOT more expensive compared to making a server farm of computers rendering an object. CGI is great but the camera must be carefully controlled to conceal the "no quite right" apperance of CGI. I mean the LOTR Weta studios specialise as much in animatronics as CGI, seamlessly mixing the two.

This was done perfectly with ten years older computer technology by always keeping the T-rex in the shadows, behind rain, cropped shots (in rear view mirror) or long fast moving shots. It didn't let the camera linger for long on a CGI image, I mean still the most impressive effects I have seen are in "The Thing" that used stop-motion, film reversal and animatronics and every trick in the book to really make this shape shifting alien seem real as it sprouted tentacles, spider legs and mutating in the most terrifying ways.

So ultimately, Lucas handled the Effects wrong, and rather ham handedly. Though I refer to Yahtzee's reference to said director's BLT mitts.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here