Zero Punctuation: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Interesting thing I noticed while playing through the Xbox 360 version of The Force Unleashed; you can find Jar-Jar frozen in carbonite in the Imperial Commander's room on Kasshyk. Ok, I don't know for certain it's Jar-Jar, it could just be any gungan, but his frozen look of suprise and terror suggests it's the idiot we all learned to hate.

It may well be the ultimate fan service in the history of man.

Rinus:
most of the review is critisizm on the limitations of the wii... I am playing it on the 360 now and it is very good! Graphics awesome, level design sometimes a bit dodgy with invisible walls, the combat is fantastic, some annoying unskippable sequenses but what surprised me is that darth vader's aprentice of all ppl is turning to the light side, and there is nothing I can do about it! I didn't buy the game so I could be sensitive or care about anyone! I just want to be an evil bastard, kill all who opose me and rule the galaxy!!! *evil laughter*

not the best game evar, but I deffinately like it!

I'm pretty sure that rescuing Juno is the Light/Dark Side divider. If you notice, you can run to the elevator instead of liberating her. I haven't tried it yet though.

Vromnir:
Huh.........he never actually gave his opinion of the game. He just verbally killed lucasarts and george lucas with a rusty thumbtack.

Wtf happened to the force? It was awful in the movies, it was easier to kill a person with your lightsaber than with the force. In the game, everyone can throw starships around! If this game is supposed to link the two parts of the story together, than the force decided it was tired and went to sleep for both trilogies, then got bored and decided to kill everything in this game.

The biggest problem lay in the difficulty of -expressing- the power of the force in the movies. It's so much easier to do in a video game than it is with real actors, playing with CG toys or not. Remember that the original trilogy was made in the 70s.

Just because it 'appeared' weak in the past doesn't mean that was the original vision for it necessarily. Lucas himself stated limitations in what they could do in the past, and as I recall was one of his driving points with the new trilogy, showing off more of what the force could do. I think a lot of people have problems with the newer stuff because it's a bit less 'realistic' or what have you. Admittedly, my favorite past time of going Honeymooners and sending Stormtroopers TO THE MOON, ALICE may not be like Vader's choke in Ep4, but goddamn is it fun.

Besides, in what kind of 'realistic' world would someone design a giant space station with a giant planet killing laser with a teeny tiny exhaust port that "if somebody maybe fired a laser into it, it would... blow up." I mean seriously.

The romance plot from the new trilogy can die in a fire though. "SAND IS SO ROUGH... UNLIKE YOU." Anakin - Graduate from the school of godawful pickup lines.

MrLefty:
I wouldn't be too optimistic about the Xbox 360 version, since it is also absolute balls for a whole host of reasons which make me wonder if the designers ever actually played the game before they shipped it.

And that reviewer seemed to be complaining about the fact that the game was balanced instead of letting him kill everything in one hit with any ability. DEAR GOD, A GAME THAT TRIES TO BALANCE OUT SOME OF THE SUPER POWERFUL ATTACKS YOU GET FOR THE SAKE OF MAKING THE GAME SOMEWHAT OF A CHALLENGE?! PAN IT!

Seriously though, the game had some flaws, but trying to keep you from going through the game on auto pilot force pushing everything off a cliff is perfectly fine. And the QTEs, while a bit obnoxious, were very consistent, and rewarded you with some really neat miniature cutscenes (though they got a bit repetitive).

Christ, is this what the gaming community has become? Bitching about every little thing possible that might fly in the face of Common Sense and/or Free Will? Is this why Boregasms like Halo 3 that play it extremely safe in terms of ground treaded get perfect tens?

Everyone kinda knew already that TFU would be complete and utter shit, but this only confirms it. I guess I'll just have to wait untill Wrath of the Lich King to come out.

I liked the review and agreed with it for the most part, however, the Wii shouldn't be blamed for the game's faults. I looked up all of the games that Krome Studios has developed and none stuck out to me as being, well... good. Some of these developers were able to produce amazing games on the PS2, but the Wii comes around and it's "Oops, the specs are too low! Guess we can't make anything good~" and the whole industry buys into it.

Don't worry about the different versions, I played the 360 version and I'd say it's a pretty bad game across the board. It's a shame that LucasArts has come to a point where all they can turn a profit on are their half-baked Star Wars games.

I liked the review and agreed with it for the most part, however, the Wii shouldn't be blamed for the game's faults.

Yes it should.

Everyone kinda knew already that TFU would be complete and utter shit,

*force chokes Mikazuki*

MrLefty:
I wouldn't be too optimistic about the Xbox 360 version, since it is also absolute balls for a whole host of reasons which make me wonder if the designers ever actually played the game before they shipped it.

That reviewer is an asshat. The lightsaber being to weak is not valid when talking about "the force unleashed". Most enemies who are invincible to certain force attacks can be damaged by others. The quick time events are implemented nicely. I have no fucking clue what he was talking about when reffering to bringing down the star destroyer, I followed the commands perfectly and brought it down.

I never played the Wii version, but i heard the controls were aweful. I played the PS3 version. The graphics looked stunning and the cinematics were badass! The apprentice is a really kool character and some the outfits/lightsaber blades you unlock look amazing. I gotta admit; fighting and killing darth vader on the deathstar with a sith robe and a black bladed, yes BLACK BLADED lightsaber was one hell of an epic time. The game pretty much played like a movie..... and thats why I can't recommend that any of you buy it. It was TOO FUCKING SHORT!! with absolutely no replay value whatsoever. There were also several bugs in the game which im sure a lot of gamers noticed, but that didn't stop me from having an awesome time. Don't get me wrong force was a really fun game, but it was just too damn short.
Also, in order to get the most out of this game you really needed the guide which just added another 20 bucks to the price tag. This game is definately worth a rent, but don't buy it. At the end of the day, I guess I just wan't another KOTOR game to come out and not have as many flaws as the second.
Im done, sorry for wasting the time of the poor fuckers who read this.

I dunno what you're talking about, the game is a barrel of fun.
Well, on the 360 anyway. The Wii I'm not so sure about, I didn't get the game for the Wii..

yourkie1921:

I liked the review and agreed with it for the most part, however, the Wii shouldn't be blamed for the game's faults.

Yes it should.

*force chokes Mikazuki*

MrLefty:

That reviewer is an asshat. The lightsaber being to weak is not valid when talking about "the force unleashed". Most enemies who are invincible to certain force attacks can be damaged by others. The quick time events are implemented nicely. I have no fucking clue what he was talking about when reffering to bringing down the star destroyer, I followed the commands perfectly and brought it down.

You've also gained my respect.

COR 2000:

yourkie1921:

Yes it should.

*force chokes Mikazuki*

MrLefty:

I second this.

The_Oracle:

COR 2000:

yourkie1921:

Yes it should.

*force chokes Mikazuki*

MrLefty:

I second this.

You now have fully earned my respect too, Oracle.

EDIT: Also, that reviewer is just a whiny, insignificant little S(Explicit).

From what I've heard and got from the demo, the 360 and PS3 versions, while a step up don't live up to the hype either...

ok i can totally understand the whole lucasarts should stop milking star wars thing it is beggining to annoy everyone..... but why does everyone rip on the prequel trilogy... sure they weren't perfect (nothing and noone is not even yahtzee) but they made the story feel.... complete.....

COR 2000:

The_Oracle:

COR 2000:

yourkie1921:

Yes it should.

*force chokes Mikazuki*

MrLefty:

I second this.

You now have fully earned my respect too, Oracle.

:D

If only I could have an ego sig.....alas, 'twasn't meant to be.

The_Oracle:

COR 2000:

yourkie1921:

Yes it should.

*force chokes Mikazuki*

MrLefty:

I second this.

Thank you very much.

This has dissolved into Star Wars fan boys protecting the pre-quel movies. Which is just plain sad, when somebody writes that much it's just a big message to me that you have too much time on your hands and I'm not gonna read it. So there.

COR 2000:
*snip*

Well, it's kind of hard to articulate this in a short period of time, but I think the prequels suffered largely from being unnecessary. I think the backstory was sufficiently explained in the original trilogy, and that the prequels were pretty repetitive and superfluous. They added nothing new and had far more noticeable flaws. In the end, I think this guy's YouTube summary of all three films says it better than I could. Feel free to watch it if you want.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6ACD497626B01244

Also, my problem with them not rescuing Anakin's mom does not apply to the first film. It makes sense there - they have limited resources and time. But for them not to have done anything by the time the second film rolled around, when they had all the time in the world to do it, was just stupid.

Additionally, they had evidence of a conspiracy against them that went beyond what Dooku had told them. Like the fact that they could link the creation of the army TO ONE OF THE SEPARATISTS.

Shadow-Knight:
This has dissolved into Star Wars fan boys protecting the pre-quel movies. Which is just plain sad, when somebody writes that much it's just a big message to me that you have too much time on your hands and I'm not gonna read it. So there.

Well, I've obviously have school off for Thursday and friday, and I have noticed a lot of flaming here, especially from me. I'm just sensitive about this topic because I grew up with these prequels and seeing it flamed by everyone isn't the most pleasant sight for me. For those who do defend it though(I'm looking at you, Bakery, Oracle and Yourkie), at least you guys kept me from losing faith in the majority of the Escapist.

Yourkie1921:
Yes it should.

No, it shouldn't.

There's nothing preventing a great developer from making a great game on the Wii.

There is something preventing a shitty developer from making a great game on the Wii, and I'll give you a hint: it's not the Wii.

Yash:

COR 2000:
Yes it should.

No, it shouldn't.

There's nothing preventing a great developer from making a great game on the Wii.

There is something preventing a shitty developer from making a great game on the Wii, and I'll give you a hint: it's not the Wii.

That wasn't me saying that, you idiot, it was yourkie who said that.

Geo Da Sponge:
Interesting thing I noticed while playing through the Xbox 360 version of The Force Unleashed; you can find Jar-Jar frozen in carbonite in the Imperial Commander's room on Kasshyk. Ok, I don't know for certain it's Jar-Jar, it could ust be any gungan, but his frozen look of suprise and terror suggests it's the idiot we all learned to hate.

It may well be the ultimate fan service in the history of man.

Tonight, I will pray that this is the case.

Nohra:

MrLefty:

And that reviewer seemed to be complaining about the fact that the game was balanced instead of letting him kill everything in one hit with any ability. DEAR GOD, A GAME THAT TRIES TO BALANCE OUT SOME OF THE SUPER POWERFUL ATTACKS YOU GET FOR THE SAKE OF MAKING THE GAME SOMEWHAT OF A CHALLENGE?! PAN IT!

Seriously though, the game had some flaws, but trying to keep you from going through the game on auto pilot force pushing everything off a cliff is perfectly fine. And the QTEs, while a bit obnoxious, were very consistent, and rewarded you with some really neat miniature cutscenes (though they got a bit repetitive).

Christ, is this what the gaming community has become? Bitching about every little thing possible that might fly in the face of Common Sense and/or Free Will? Is this why Boregasms like Halo 3 that play it extremely safe in terms of ground treaded get perfect tens?

Actually, TFU played it extremely safe, just ripping off GOW and adding a star wars layer. Only that's not what they promised...

As for the challenge - no-one's suggesting that it should be piss easy just because you're an overpowered Force user. But the game designers need to come up with better ways of providing a challenge than just arbitrarily making enemies immune from certain attacks just because they say so. Think laterally for god sake, it's your job. Force lightning seems to take a lot of concentration, so maybe make it that you can barely move whilst using it. Enemies could swarm you or shoot you from behind. Some enemies could be very agile. Find challenges that are consistent with the basic principle on which the development team claimed to be developing the game - "kicking arse with the Force".

I mean, think about the universe in which you're setting the game. Imagine you WERE a Sith with these powers - what would you actually be vulnerable to? The above are just a few suggestions. There are plenty of ways they could counter the powers being overbalanced without simply nerfing them or giving enemies unpredictable and silly immunities.

yourkie1921:

I think you'll find that site is not pretending to review the game; it's talking exclusively about the problems. IE, "when the game sucked".

Criticisms of the lightsaber being weak are "not valid"? Uh, sure, if you say so.

I got banned for calling you a pussy, so I will rather politely reiterate that you are dodging a huge and significant PC release that deserves severe thrashing merely because your website and your feature had its advertisements plastered all over them.

Yash:

COR 2000:
Yes it should.

No, it shouldn't.

It is the Wii, no matter how much you want it to be otherwise. I wish I could find the exact post on the right forum, but when the Wii was unveiled but I once expressed uneasiness about the Wii for two reasons: it was basically a gimmick and it didn't seem to be very third party friendly.

If a developer wants to make a game for all three current generation consoles they have to support two generations of graphics and two totally different control schemes, all thanks to Nintendo. If they have a third person action game like The Force Unleashed they have to somehow make that work with both a standard controller and an over-priced lightgun.

When two thirds of the current generation consoles are similar enough to port games back and forth, how is it not Nintendo's fault for using outdated graphics and a controller that would be better suited for an arcade machine? Are developers expected to sink thousands of dollars into tailoring their multi-platform game specifically for the Wii?

I think the simple solution is to stop making all of these stripped down ports for the Wii and let Nintendo do its own thing.

I will be counting facepalms from now on.
You picked the wii version.

*facepalm*
In quite a twist, the psp version is very good.
The PS3/360 version is endless fun though. On a completely different note, you are absolutely 100% correct about I-III.
Medichlorieans.
*second facepalm*
Still no wii attachment that increases accuracy.
*third facepalm*
On to another, completely different statement: Why did you stop picking opening\ending songs? I miss them.

no it's not fun at all ever:(

you can find jar-jar frozen in carbonite.
that made me buy that game
all it needs is a jar jar stormtrooper reskin

Honestly, I love the game, I've been a fan of Star Wars (minus the new ones) for 7/8ths of my life. I've played almost all of the other star wars based games and none of them come close. With this game I felt badass as hell no matter what side I was on. Then again I play it on the 360 instead of Wii but I saw the Wii version and it looked like crap. In the end I played it for about 6 hours straight through to the end and then replayed on higher difficulty I thought it was that good.

MrLefty:

yourkie1921:

I think you'll find that site is not pretending to review the game; it's talking exclusively about the problems. IE, "when the game sucked".

Criticisms of the lightsaber being weak are "not valid"? Uh, sure, if you say so.

I'm aware. However, most of their criticisms were invalid or just retarded.

Yes, they're not valid because the game is not about being a jedi and accuracy. it's about using the force to mindlessly kick ass. Less depth than the average spoon. The lightsaber is just there because it's what the jedi/sith used and it gives a form of melee. What else can you give a sith/jedi?

You know what you should do? Reply to that post explaining which criticisms were "just retarded".

PS I'm fairly certain that "Less Depth Than The Average Spoon!" is not one of the advertising slogans LucasArts used.

Well done like usual Yahtz! Give STALKER Clear Sky a thrashing someday.

MrLefty:
You know what you should do? Reply to that post explaining which criticisms were "just retarded".

PS I'm fairly certain that "Less Depth Than The Average Spoon!" is not one of the advertising slogans LucasArts used.

I kind of already did but here are exact quotes:

The Force in this game so weak

No it is fucking not. Some enemies are immune to certain powers, when you're not fighting someone who's immune to lightning, is not a boss, and is not a machine your maxed out lightning will kill them or do some serious damage depending on dificulty.

nerfing of the light saber

The FORCE unleashed , nuff said. But since you disagree, the lightsaber does have to be used once in a blue moon

unfriendly save/checkpoint system,

I guess I agree about the save but I never thought to save a game that's for all extensive purposes linear that has an autosave feature and not a lot you can miss. I think the checkpoints are scattered well. Yes there are one or two annoying spots that really should have checkpoints and ones that would have saved a lot of frustration if they were about 10 yards farther.

They'll be placed right before a major boss battle, which is fair enough, but then there'll be none afterwards

Most major boss battles mark the end of a chapter and the rest aren't really "major boss battles" .

so if you die (and there are plenty of cheap deaths - one that springs to mind is your first battle with a Junk Yard Titan,

I agree that place is annoying and was the place that came to mind when I thought 10 yards would save a lot of frustration (there was a 10 second long unskipable cutscene that you get extremely close to that checkpoint) but that was the only place that killed me cheaply.

And note that whenever the difficulty level suddenly spikes, it will almost always be a long time after the last checkpoint.

no. just no.

The game does not automatically create a separate save so you can go back and see the other ending - as it would if it were designed by people who played games, and not Nazi war criminals. So if you didn't realise you should save there, you have to play the whole game again to get to the alternative ending. (Which reminds me - where is the mission select? It's a console game, and I can't see any option to just go to an unlocked level and play it.)

I guess it's valid and not retarded.

level design. Although this is 2008 and this is a major studio release, from the same company that has previously given us fairly freeform games in which you get to be a Jedi (namely the Jedi Knight series), The Force Unleashed is a corridor shooter. Say you're on a spectacular planet of giant flowers and insects and would like to have a look around... sorry. You can only run down one (narrow) path to the end. Invisible walls surround you - not dissimilar to the ones that are mysteriously nerfing your use of the Force, come to think of it. The faulty camera system is not your friend, and will regularly place itself behind an opaque object so you can't see what's going on

I said it's for all purposes linear and I think that's for the best. I never had an invisible wall problem and this game is not for exploration. I never had a camera problem.

inconsistent AI. Given that it's one of the two major new technologies boasted about in relation to this release, you'd expect that they'd have tested it properly. But look online and you'll find plenty of YouTube videos of stormtroopers standing around as the Apprentice throws stuff at them or gives them wedgies. The tutorial itself will give you a fine example of how daft these new AI are. Troopers have the presence of mind to try to grab onto something as they're falling, but not to, I don't know, in any way react to a large crate crashing into the guy next to them.

Eh, not really that signifigant but I'll count it as not retarded.

For one thing, they've implemented the always craptacular quicktime events. If you're not familiar with these - and I envy you - a QTE is where, during a boss fight (for example), the game will flash up on the screen the name of a button, and you have to press it quickly or fail, be injured and have to start the sequence again. Yes, where decent games try to make you feel that you have choices in a battle, and that you're choosing how to fight the enemy, QTEs take over and turn it into a primitive pattern-matching task. They were stupid in God of War (which The Force Unleashed is transparently trying to ape),

Do you really expect me to swipe away an insult at not only Force Unleashed's gameplay but GOD OF WAR'S? That's like telling me to kill a paraplegic with one armed tied behind his back from 50 yards away after he just crashed from speed while I'm armed with every weapon ever to exist. Quick time events are good or bad based on how predictable they are, how much time they give you, and whether you can tell what you're supposed to do.

Likewise quick repetitive button pressing, which is a subset of QTEs which is becoming disturbingly more prominent. TFU is not the only game guilty of this sin - but it's a prominent example. QRBP events are where the game pops up a key on the screen and forces you to press it repeatedly very quickly in order to win a duel or open a door or whatever. If you don't press it quickly enough, you fail and can't proceed. If you get RSI or your controller buttons break because you've been hitting them too fast, then stiff - this is fun, dammit, and you will learn to like it.

If you were to insult God of War this would be the best way to do so. The ones in TFU are so easy, and I'm pretty sure you don't need them to succeed.

the Force to bring a Star Destroyer crashing to the ground.
-snip
The first problem is that the game designers, as usual, completely cripple the Force powers in question at the outset. You cannot just pull the Star Destroyer down from space: you have to turn it around to an arbitrary angle in the sky before you can move it anywhere. Uh, why? If the Force is pulling it down to the ground, why does it matter what exact angle it's on? Provided that its engines aren't facing towards me so it requires more force to drag down, what on Coruscant is the thinking behind it having to face slightly right and down before you can make it move? That in and of itself breaks the sequence.

The force is not crippled. And such a nitpick that I won't even count it as a criticism. I'm normally fine with nitpicks but this is just taking it to far.

Secondly, the controls that appear on screen to tell you what to push (the game has to keep doing this, because it keeps changing the rules on you) are actually wrong. If you follow the prompts you will never get the Star Destroyer down at all. How this got through testing, I have no idea.

Bull. They're 100% correct.

the targeting system doesn't work. If you're trying to pick something up to throw it, it will select something that you (stupidly) can't. If you're trying to hit an enemy with lightning, it will target a rock instead. I have played games with similar "powers" before - Psi Ops springs to mind - and they managed it. Why can't LucasArts?

Over exaggerating but fine, not retarded or invalid.

And finally - they've even got the menus wrong. A central part of the game is the upgrading of Force Powers (and lightsaber stones), and this you have to do from a menu. Only you can't just select it from in-game - you have to go back to the main menu, and then select the force power menu, and then wait while it (mystifyingly slowly) loads it. Why this couldn't have been a quick menu selection from in-game, I don't know - well, unless it really is true that the LucasArts designers are Nazi war criminals who really were out to cause as much frustration and annoyance as possible.

What? *rereads* wow.....I don't even know how to explain how moronic this is so I'll just use godwins

round 1 me
round 2 me
round 3 him
round 4 him
round 5 him
round 6 me
7: him
8: me
9: him
10: me
11: me
12: doesn't count
13: me
14: him
now......that is a 7-6 in my favor I think. I win

Not technically, and it wasn't one for mercenaries 2 either. Did you expect depth from mercenaries 2 ?

mspencer82:
It is the Wii, no matter how much you want it to be otherwise. I wish I could find the exact post on the right forum, but when the Wii was unveiled but I once expressed uneasiness about the Wii for two reasons: it was basically a gimmick and it didn't seem to be very third party friendly.

Whether or not the game could have ever been as good as its HD counterparts is for you to decide. However, if you're going to outsource a game to Krome Studios, it's going to suck regardless of the console it's on.

Are developers expected to sink thousands of dollars into tailoring their multi-platform game specifically for the Wii?

A quick and dirty port of PS2 Force Unleashed with some waggle thrown in is going to turn a profit much more easily than the internally developed HD versions. Considering that the Wii version is selling on par (more or less) with the PS3 version it can't have been that much of a money sink.

I think the simple solution is to stop making all of these stripped down ports for the Wii and let Nintendo do its own thing.

You're so close.

What you're suggesting is that all third parties completely ignore the Wii. The fastest-selling home console in the industry. Ever.

The answer here is not to simply "let Nintendo do their own thing" but make original games for the Wii that take advantage of the hardware and the controller. For example, Resident Evil is a title that works great with the Wii remote, and all of the RE games released for the console have far exceeded expectations, yet Resident Evil 5 is going exclusively to the HD twins while the Wii gets a half-assed port of Dead Rising from two years ago.

I'm not asking for Resident Evil 5 on Wii (although Capcom is apparently considering it), because the result from downgrading a PS360 game to Wii probably wouldn't work too well. What I want is an original Resident Evil built for the system. None of this rail shooter garbage.

COR 2000:
That wasn't me saying that, you idiot, it was yourkie who said that.

I made a mistake, you don't have to be a douche about it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here