Zero Punctuation: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Battle Medic:
I will be counting facepalms from now on.
You picked the wii version.

*facepalm*
In quite a twist, the psp version is very good.
The PS3/360 version is endless fun though. On a completely different note, you are absolutely 100% correct about I-III.
Medichlorieans.
*second facepalm*
Still no wii attachment that increases accuracy.
*third facepalm*
On to another, completely different statement: Why did you stop picking opening\ending songs? I miss them.

Battle Medic, "unfortunately" the only differences between the PSP version and the Wii version is the PSP had that movie battle mode, the PSP had slightly lower graphics/framerate/etc and had to be played on a smaller screen, and the Wii version had remapped and superior controls. So everything bad that Yahtzee said about the level, enemy design, etc. applies to your version too. And he probably stopped picking songs because of copyright reasons.

MrLefty:

Nohra:

MrLefty:
I wouldn't be too optimistic about the Xbox 360 version, since it is also absolute balls for a whole host of reasons which make me wonder if the designers ever actually played the game before they shipped it.

And that reviewer seemed to be complaining about the fact that the game was balanced instead of letting him kill everything in one hit with any ability. DEAR GOD, A GAME THAT TRIES TO BALANCE OUT SOME OF THE SUPER POWERFUL ATTACKS YOU GET FOR THE SAKE OF MAKING THE GAME SOMEWHAT OF A CHALLENGE?! PAN IT!

Seriously though, the game had some flaws, but trying to keep you from going through the game on auto pilot force pushing everything off a cliff is perfectly fine. And the QTEs, while a bit obnoxious, were very consistent, and rewarded you with some really neat miniature cutscenes (though they got a bit repetitive).

Christ, is this what the gaming community has become? Bitching about every little thing possible that might fly in the face of Common Sense and/or Free Will? Is this why Boregasms like Halo 3 that play it extremely safe in terms of ground treaded get perfect tens?

Actually, TFU played it extremely safe, just ripping off GOW and adding a star wars layer. Only that's not what they promised...

As for the challenge - no-one's suggesting that it should be piss easy just because you're an overpowered Force user. But the game designers need to come up with better ways of providing a challenge than just arbitrarily making enemies immune from certain attacks just because they say so. Think laterally for god sake, it's your job. Force lightning seems to take a lot of concentration, so maybe make it that you can barely move whilst using it. Enemies could swarm you or shoot you from behind. Some enemies could be very agile. Find challenges that are consistent with the basic principle on which the development team claimed to be developing the game - "kicking arse with the Force".

I mean, think about the universe in which you're setting the game. Imagine you WERE a Sith with these powers - what would you actually be vulnerable to? The above are just a few suggestions. There are plenty of ways they could counter the powers being overbalanced without simply nerfing them or giving enemies unpredictable and silly immunities.

There is a one-handed version of force-lightning where you can still move around. All other versions of force lightning already do lock your direction and position. And they're not exactly unpredictable and silly. You only fight each type of enemy a hundred times. If you don't get it by then, well you might need a strategy guide. And in fact, some types of enemies are STRONGER vs. certain force powers, but most are only invulnerable while they're blocking. At which point you can - if you're using certain abilities - run up to them and prepare to use a different attack. The only kinds of enemies who are outright immune to certain abilities are strong force wielding characters against force choke. Oh my gosh, enemies can block? Wut?

BTW GoW is a rip-off too.

You miss the point. The prospect of using "unleashed" force powers was the only selling point of this game. And you can't, which makes it a ripoff.
If they had to do it for balancing or other reasons is irrelevant - they just should have thought of that sooner. Force powers are too imba for a game?! Shock! What a surprise!!

So they couldn't give you awesome powers because that would have been to easy, but they still needed to create a badass sith hype to get the silly prequel kiddies interested. So they were screwed.
This shows only one thing: That the whole game concept doesn't work and they shouldn't have made it in the first place.

Maybe LucasArts should go back to games that once made them great, adventures and flight sims. But then, some of their marketing jerks have decided that such games are "out" and trash like TFU is far more lucrative. And this is the result.

The only thing I don't get is why some of you even act surprised.

Have you even played the game?

The force is your main weapon. And the force powers are pretty powerful and useful. So that's the selling point. It's not too imbalanced because the lightsaber is still usefull and it will be impractical not to use it in certain points. It's a little unbalanced but it's supposed to be

I don't mean to be a dork here but here I go.

Luke was never meant to be an amazing prodigy. He actually sucked until he needed to man up to the situation. Then he failed and got bailed out by his father, the one that was actually a prodigy.

As for the Wii version of the game, I've played this for both the Wii and PS3 and the graphics were considerably different. Though again I'd like to remind you that this isn't a matter of console power but the fact that the Wii's games are programmed much differently then the other two systems. This game could've been much better for the Wii if they took the time to care. (comparable. to the Gamecube RE:4 and the PS2 RE:4)

As for the controls... What's there to complain about? This reminds me of the time Yahtzee cried about Umbrella Chronicles' difficulty. -_-

Anyway this is a rare exception where a game is better on the Wii then the other systems. (granted you can get over with dimmer graphics) Never thought I'd actually say that. Not after how terrible Madden 08 was for the Wii. lol

I'm just going to ignore the massive argument going on above and say that I don't think this was a proper review at all; he just used it as a chance to insult the wii. I'm actually beginning to think he's a bit of a fanboy because he always insults the ps3 or wii whenever there is the slightest opportunity but I reckon he's insulted the 360 maybe once in all his videos

Spacewolf:

How does that explain it because please dont tell me you think Spacewolf is from the SW genre

Someone with 'space' in their name having a big love for starwars? It's not that big of an assumption, the same way assuming I like anime from my avatar isn't. Not to mention you just called StarWars a genre, it's a franchise not a genre there is a difference =)

S_K:

Spacewolf:

How does that explain it because please dont tell me you think Spacewolf is from the SW genre

Someone with 'space' in their name having a big love for starwars? It's not that big of an assumption, the same way assuming I like anime from my avatar isn't. Not to mention you just called StarWars a genre, it's a franchise not a genre there is a difference =)

'Space' in someone's nickname = love of Star Wars?
Generalisation much?

Spacewolf is a character from the Star Fox series of games, anyway. So he's probably proclaiming that he loves that game instead.

man, how disappointing with the lightsaber action, and here I thought the copy for the wii would be the biggest hit.

You need to blame Peter Molyneux as well.

NoPantsMan:
man, how disappointing with the lightsaber action, and here I thought the copy for the wii would be the biggest hit.

The lightsaber fights aren't the point of this game. It's called "The Force Unleashed" for a reason. Grabbing someone and chucking them with the flick of your wrist is actually a very nice feeling. As is most of the force powers with the Wiimote. (Holding one dork in the air with your left hand while hurling other dorks into him with your right adds a lot of immersion to the game.)

Anyway there's another Star Wars game coming out for the Wii that's main focus is lightsaber fights. It'll be out next month I believe so if you want a lightsaber fight with the Wiimote you'll get it soon.

quickpaw:
I'm just going to ignore the massive argument going on above and say that I don't think this was a proper review at all; he just used it as a chance to insult the wii. I'm actually beginning to think he's a bit of a fanboy because he always insults the ps3 or wii whenever there is the slightest opportunity but I reckon he's insulted the 360 maybe once in all his videos

Watch the Console Rundown videos. He gives a more thorough explanation for all three consoles.

On a side-note, though, This review did feel incomplete.

This was great! I've been watching Yahtzee commentaries since the 4th or 5th was released and to all you nay sayers who say that ZP, "isn't where it should be" who are you to judge? Yahtzee provides you five minutes of spot on, hillarious, original reviews.

If you don't like them, fine, but let's try to leave the e-thug attitude for other communities.

Hmm. I agree with COR 2000 on the incomplete part, mostly because the Wii version differs from the two others much.

yourkie1921:

You miss the point. The prospect of using "unleashed" force powers was the only selling point of this game. And you can't, which makes it a ripoff.
If they had to do it for balancing or other reasons is irrelevant - they just should have thought of that sooner. Force powers are too imba for a game?! Shock! What a surprise!!

So they couldn't give you awesome powers because that would have been to easy, but they still needed to create a badass sith hype to get the silly prequel kiddies interested. So they were screwed.
This shows only one thing: That the whole game concept doesn't work and they shouldn't have made it in the first place.

Maybe LucasArts should go back to games that once made them great, adventures and flight sims. But then, some of their marketing jerks have decided that such games are "out" and trash like TFU is far more lucrative. And this is the result.

The only thing I don't get is why some of you even act surprised.

Have you even played the game?

The force is your main weapon. And the force powers are pretty powerful and useful. So that's the selling point. It's not too imbalanced because the lightsaber is still usefull and it will be impractical not to use it in certain points. It's a little unbalanced but it's supposed to be

Thtat's the thing. The developers said that you would "kick ass with the force".

The problem is that ALL jedi kick ass with the force. So then needed to make the protagonist ludacrisly powerfull (hence the prewiev material where we saw the apprantice take down a goddam starcruiser). Fair enough. But in the end, your just a strong jedi, not the über monster that you were said to be. Which admitedly makes sense, but that just means that they shoulden't gone into it with such an attitude.

Kinda funny that the Kotor series second game made an huge effort to humanize the jedi and make them vunrable, only for games like these to come and say: hey, jedi are awesome but we'r gonna med them EXTREME!!

COR 2000:

quickpaw:

Watch the Console Rundown videos. He gives a more thorough explanation for all three consoles.

I have watched them and once again he shows a bias towards the 360, if either of the two other consoles had broken he would have not shut up about that for the rest of the video and yet for the 360 it only gets a brief mention.

quickpaw:

COR 2000:

quickpaw:

I have watched them and once again he shows a bias towards the 360, if either of the two other consoles had broken he would have not shut up about that for the rest of the video and yet for the 360 it only gets a brief mention.

Well he did say his 360 was broken, and that everyone on Xbox live was a Jerk. Note that this post is not defending him at all.

Wasabi-Knight:
Hmm. I agree with COR 2000 on the incomplete part, mostly because the Wii version differs from the two others much.

Thanks for the back-up.

Thtat's the thing. The developers said that you would "kick ass with the force".

I don't know about you but I do that in the game.

The problem is that ALL jedi kick ass with the force.

not to this extent

The problem is that ALL jedi kick ass with the force.

Not to this extent

Fair enough. But in the end, your just a strong jedi, not the über monster that you were said to be. Which admitedly makes sense, but that just means that they shoulden't gone into it with such an attitude.

You're still extremely powerful and can kick ass with the force. At the end of the game you've either faught vader twice or vader and the emperor. Your guy could've killed either one of them if he wasn't such a pussy. Or this game was non-cannon.

Kinda funny that the Kotor series second game made an huge effort to humanize the jedi and make them vunrable, only for games like these to come and say: hey, jedi are awesome but we'r gonna med them EXTREME!!

Which is why this game shouldn't be cannon. The only problem with the game is that making this game cannon was absolutely ridiculous. Kotor should've been cannon

Engwallwithpinksocks:

The problem is that ALL jedi kick ass with the force. So then needed to make the protagonist ludacrisly powerfull (hence the prewiev material where we saw the apprantice take down a goddam starcruiser). Fair enough. But in the end, your just a strong jedi, not the über monster that you were said to be. Which admitedly makes sense, but that just means that they shoulden't gone into it with such an attitude.

You do plenty of asskicking with the force though. Pulling an ISD out of the sky, hurling Stormtroopers every which way, ripping up giant tubes that spray Carbonite onto whatever you point them at, jumping into the middle of a group of enemies and sending them flying with Force Repulse, crushing AT-KTs like beercans and splitting AT-STs up the middle...

You've never done this kind of asskick before in ANY Star Wars game prior.

if yatzee ever reads these (which i dout) i say that all the games he reviews are just point in no matter how ever crappy others think (which i happen to agree with). the Force unleashed kinda good in my oppinon i've only played both and i say to you yatzee good work o and the ps3 is only a smije better than the wii. Anyway the games were somewhat good they both had some good graphics and the force is cooler than it was in the other games i mean who wouldn't like a force push that can smash 10 guys through 7 walls and leave just the body blood splatters that look like chalk line (o wait that doesn't happen) well anyway both are comparably good if you actually play to get all the stuff. what you have done on you reviews are awsome... don't get me wrong i'm not a blind folower i just like the way you actually do this crap(don't expect to many curse words i don't do that to much) all i know is that i'm going to reply every video not like a gaywad though all i know now is that the next game will have 4 outcomes

1. you hate it
2. you semi hate it.
3. you give it a somewhat bad review but complement it along the way or
4. you rape it through it into a ditch and cover it in shit let it gain conscienciousness tell it a comferting story on how good it is that stab it in the stomach rape it up the bum and throw it in a sewer with just enough cianide to make it think it was at the greatest party ever and it missed it

What do you think it would take to get George Lucas to watch this? Can I get a video of his Response?

YAY im the 300th person to post on this. Great episode. ^_^ keep it up.

COR 2000:

quickpaw:

COR 2000:

quickpaw:

Well he did say his 360 was broken, and that everyone on Xbox live was a Jerk. Note that this post is not defending him at all.

Yes he admitted it was broken but he did not give it the sound thrashing that he would have given it had it been a wii or ps3 that broke, And he insulted the user base of every console so that comment is just neutral rather then making him less biased

acebrainbuster:
if yatzee ever reads these (which i dout) i say that all the games he reviews are just point in no matter how ever crappy others think (which i happen to agree with). the Force unleashed kinda good in my oppinon i've only played both and i say to you yatzee good work o and the ps3 is only a smije better than the wii. Anyway the games were somewhat good they both had some good graphics and the force is cooler than it was in the other games i mean who wouldn't like a force push that can smash 10 guys through 7 walls and leave just the body blood splatters that look like chalk line (o wait that doesn't happen) well anyway both are comparably good if you actually play to get all the stuff. what you have done on you reviews are awsome... don't get me wrong i'm not a blind folower i just like the way you actually do this crap(don't expect to many curse words i don't do that to much) all i know is that i'm going to reply every video not like a gaywad though all i know now is that the next game will have 4 outcomes

1. you hate it
2. you semi hate it.
3. you give it a somewhat bad review but complement it along the way or
4. you rape it through it into a ditch and cover it in shit let it gain conscienciousness tell it a comferting story on how good it is that stab it in the stomach rape it up the bum and throw it in a sewer with just enough cianide to make it think it was at the greatest party ever and it missed it

Gee, I wonder why he wouldn't read these.

Awesome review. Strange how it was 40% bashing the game, 60% bashing George Lucas ;). Anyone who's seen Spaced will understand the frustration we ALL feel at that 'tard of a director, and the foetid sputum he's forced us to watch in Eps 1-3. I too was hoping that Force Unleashed would stick more to the Books / Ep 4-6 canon (much as Dark Forces / Jedi knight etc), and was as bitterly disappointed as Yahtzee.

The thing I liked about this review was that it didn't fuss about with the 'smoke', i.e. the gameplay or the characters or the plot too much, but went straight for the heart of the fire: Lucas / The Wii / The nonsense cheeball of Episodes 1->3. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it comes out for the PC one day. Until then, I think I'll be avoiding this game.

TO DUCKFERRET
GOOD POINT NO WONDER HE COMPLAINS ABOUT THE MAIL HE GETS HE READS THESE HA

Yes i agree blame lucas for every thing......aids........bastards

Haha! Funny review. I haven't played it yet, but I heard it's great from a few friends. So I'm still going to risk it.

Hiroshi Mishima:
My cousin keeps telling me the Wii version is fun as hell and that he beat it within a few days or so (he's got school after all). I haven't played it yet, but I wasn't all that enthusiastic about it to begin with.

And what? The apprentice's name is Starkiller? Wasn't that what Lucas was originally going to have as Luke's last name? Wow, the irony in that. I think there was a Starkiller in KoTOR, as well.

I found the review to be hilarious, because I dislike the new trilogy a lot. It didn't have the endearing characters or even the realism of the first trilogy. Yes, puppets, miniatures, and special effects are more realistic than CGI CGI and more CGI. I'm sorry but that's the cold hard truth.

And Goodman: Maybe Yahtzee didn't wanna blow his money on another copy? I mean, I know he gets paid and all to do these, but that doesn't change the fact that Aussie's get stuck with ridiculous price tags.

Actually, Starkiller was just a codename for the apprentice. He didn't have a real name.

P.S. You're thinking of Bendak Starkiller, the mandalorian(?) who only fought in death matches. Somehow you get dark side points for killing him.........

Nohra:

MrLefty:
Actually, TFU played it extremely safe, just ripping off GOW and adding a star wars layer. Only that's not what they promised...

As for the challenge - no-one's suggesting that it should be piss easy just because you're an overpowered Force user. But the game designers need to come up with better ways of providing a challenge than just arbitrarily making enemies immune from certain attacks just because they say so. Think laterally for god sake, it's your job. Force lightning seems to take a lot of concentration, so maybe make it that you can barely move whilst using it. Enemies could swarm you or shoot you from behind. Some enemies could be very agile. Find challenges that are consistent with the basic principle on which the development team claimed to be developing the game - "kicking arse with the Force".

I mean, think about the universe in which you're setting the game. Imagine you WERE a Sith with these powers - what would you actually be vulnerable to? The above are just a few suggestions. There are plenty of ways they could counter the powers being overbalanced without simply nerfing them or giving enemies unpredictable and silly immunities.

See, the thing is, most people get into a routine. That's why some people start rolling out the immunities, enemies that cause you to break out of the routine and do something that isn't normal for you. It's a bit of a dick move, but hell, GoW did it to some extent with the Troika gunners having impervious helmets (nothing stopped you from sniping them in the leg with a 1HK perfect active reload sniper bullet, but eh) and guns that killed you in approximately 1/1000th of a second if you stood in their line of fire too long.

As for ripping off Gears, I'm not entirely sure how you were playing it, but it didn't play like Gears for me at all. Gears had a strong emphasis on using cover and evasion to your advantage, especially on the 'medium' and 'hard' difficulties where Boomshots, Torque Bolts, and glowretches turned into instant death (I absolutely loathe the mining station on med/hard because half the time you can't even see where the damn Therons are until you have a torque in your chest, but that's another story). TFU played more like "overwhelm the enemy with massive firepower." Normally a boring strategy, but when you're limited to melee, physics objects, push and lightning, then it can become rather interesting.

Also, as to "unpredictable" immunities, a lot of these enemies made multiple appearances throughout the game, save the bosses, who had blatantly obvious immunity shields and/or behaviors. It's pretty quick to realize that "energy shield" means "smack with lightsaber, then fling into space." It just forces you to react to changing situations. And some enemies on whom abilities were less effective could still be effectively incapacitated by them (i.e. Purge Troopers -- you could interrupt their attacks, but you'd never send them truly flying, with Force Push).

I could make plenty of comparisons to other games, like Gargantuas in HL being immune to all but explosives, or Striders being the same, or Hunters being neigh invulnerable to bullets (they actually were initially in Ep2, designed to be killed only by physics objects), or Halo Hunters having annoyingly tiny weak spots (and in the latter two games no quick way to deal with them aside from ROCKETS, MORE ROCKETS, MORE MORE MORE).

You HAVE to make these choices a LOT in games. How obvious it is varies. And it can be done in many ways. Complaining about a completely obvious one, with enemies that SHOW their varied immunities -very- clearly (come on, if you can't tell in a mob of stormtroopers which one is an EVO and which one is a normal stormtrooper, you're not looking close enough) is a little silly.

P.S.: The lightsaber isn't weak if you actually look at the combo list and learn some of the better ones. Sith Flurry, Sith Strike, Sith Smash, Leaping Smash all spring to mind. Mindlessly mashing X (or flailing your wrist, or whatever the PS3 button is) isn't the way to get the best mileage out of it. Not to mention, if you can keep an enemy knocked down, you can inflict massive amounts of damage by standing over them and tapping your saber button once. Granted though, the way the XBox version plays, I don't think it was truly -meant- for any of the other consoles, just a weak port...

And if you truly can't figure out how to beat a certain enemy, you could always just throw a large object at them. That always works.................unless they throw it back.

Nohra:

Engwallwithpinksocks:

You do plenty of asskicking with the force though. Pulling an ISD out of the sky, hurling Stormtroopers every which way, ripping up giant tubes that spray Carbonite onto whatever you point them at, jumping into the middle of a group of enemies and sending them flying with Force Repulse, crushing AT-KTs like beercans and splitting AT-STs up the middle...

You've never done this kind of asskick before in ANY Star Wars game prior.

Of course you kick ass with the force, your a jedi! Even in the Kotor series second game whitch made a HUUUUGE plot point about the vunarability of the jedi hade you kicking insane amount of ass. How do you NOT make a game where you play a jedi where you don't kick ass( removing their limbs clerly dosen't work since then they come back with prosthetic arms and bitching new suits). Hence, making the game on a premise which it already fullfills is like foucusing a game where you bang hookers on "putting on a conbom" or "insert you penis into a vagina". it will happen regardless how you approche it, SO WHY NOT TRY TO DO SOMETHING MEANINGFULL INSTEAD?

YahtZed,

my big problem with Force-based games is you don't use the Force. You just allow the player to repeat-press on specific Force tricks. Where's the Force Pull Down Top or Force Crush Your Head or Force ... you get the idea, a more free-form (creative) force, rather than a dogmatic do this now ForceF***er or I'll Force you from here to kingdom come.

maybe your reaction to this excellent LukasArtz format overload wouldn't have been so jaded if you'd had one of these to waggle you wiimote around with - Hybrid Assisted Limb. Yes, it's by the CYBERDYNE company of Japan. No fear, eh?

I have to admit, Force Unleashed didn't impress me on the videos. Turok, Haze, Too Human, SW:FU, and that upcoming Space Marine game all made me think when I saw their preview videos/gameplay examples "MEh, looks like a average or below shooter with a gimmick."

Lupie:
I didn't think the chick was that unusual. I mean, my eyes, too, oscilate rather than do any of this so-called "blinking" nonsense.

I thought that was the norm. Apparently not. Perhaps I should see a doctor.

You have something else in common with Juno Eclipse. You'd look smashing in that black Imperial uniform.

yourkie1921:
The only problem with the game is that making this game cannon was absolutely ridiculous. Kotor should've been cannon

This is really nothing you should be worried about... the whole "canon" babble is a bunch of nonsense anyway. Every single source outside of the original three movies contradicts the original three movies in a way or another, regardless if Lucasfilm calls it "canon" or not.

I agree, though, that this was a pretty bad and disappointing review. It was only like 10% about the actual game, 20% about how Lucasfilm sucks, and 70% about the shortcomings of the Wii.

This game was not suppose to suck! We all need to call lucus arts and tell them to make the game again and to make the shit right this time.

It makes no sense why I dont have a wii game to look forward to until 2009 except for GH World Tour. And No I am not excited about the next mario title, Im so sick of mario I dont know what to do. I mean I know mario adveture games are fun as hell, but Im just really tired of mostly having to rely nintendo games, I want to play a 3rd party title that is just as good as the 360 or PS3 version, sure of course theirs gonna be a graphical downgrade but I've learned to accept that.

Well anyway even though most reviews said the game wasnt good I wanted to see for myself.

Well lucus arts took my dreams of being a sith badass and shoved it up their ass and then craped it out on my face after eating a bean filled chilli with a side of beans and washed it down with bean juice.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here