Review: Fable 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Only had a couple of hours on it so far, but I'm enjoying myself. It's casual but interesting. I can see myself playing it through over and over, something I can't say for any other title from this generation of gaming so far. Even my wife is interested and she hates RPGs.

So it turns out Fable II lived up to the hype after all! Now I've seen everything.

Do any of y'all think this game is worth purchasing?

trying to decide; PC or 360

Thank christ, I was hoping so much that this game would be awesome as its been hyped up to be. Getting it friday, can't wait :P

Hmm...this spell casting thing concerns me. But, given all the pros, I'll not let this one issue push me off.

The_Oracle:
So it turns out Fable II lived up to the hype after all! Now I've seen everything.

Given from what I've seen, yes. Definately if you like RPGs

The_Oracle:

Without question. It's definitely a lot more "casual" than many RPGs, but I absolutely consider that a plus in Fable 2's case. It's just very, very playable, and a lot of fun to watch, too. Albion is a beautiful place to visit, and the voice acting is absolutely fantastic, and funny. It's not a perfect game -- there are a few technical glitches and minor annoyances -- but the pros far outweigh the cons.

Very good video!

The game looks absolutley amazing!
I remember playing Fable on my old Xbox and kicking chickens all day long x)

So... I'll be on my way looking for a cheap Xbox 360 now... :D

Shouldt be to hard to find a cheap 360, the price has dropped a ridicoulous amount.

Anyone else reading all the very good reviews for this game and still gunshy about buying it because of the letdown that was Fable 1. I mean it's only $50 but man I'm so afraid of getting burned *cough* Spore *cough*

"...good doggy!"

This game just sounds really really boring to me.

"Buy real estate!"

"Get Married!"

"Pay a mortgage!"

The area is so large, I sometimes get lost from being so sidetracked, and I must choose the correct quest to get back on track...which is a good thing
the dog system is VERY useful, saves me time looking for loot :) and yes, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks
I like the whole "antique" gun part (in mechanism, weapon, metal)
Jobs can easily become HIGHLY rewarding

ElArabDeMagnifico:

"Buy real estate!"

"Get Married!"

"Pay a mortgage!"

"Save the world" isn't exciting enough for you?

ElArabDeMagnifico:

"Buy real estate!"

"Get Married!"

"Pay a mortgage!"

ahh the real world i hear, only thing is your forgetting kill houndreds of bad guys, or good guys depending on your mood find treasure and please/piss everyone off. surely this beats the real world, what else is an rpg for.

oh and quick question can the dog die, it might be because i wasnt reading/listining too good but i dont think anything was mentioned

The impression that I've been getting from the review is that it isn't open-worlded (new word?) enough to satisfy people who have been spoiled by games like Grand Theft Auto and The Elder Scrolls. Some people like linearity in their games; I'm the type who prefers to screw with the clipping plane using the console and occasionally use the TCAI cheat in Oblivion just to see what I can do. I want to be able to play a game to death without so much as touching the main quest, as if said quest were nothing more than a peripheral, no different than the game's other couple hundred quests. Oblivion does that, GTA does that, Fable? It don't do that.

Fable II doesn't seem to have addressed its most significant core issue. I don't think Lionhead knows how to create a fully realized world without caving to a preconceived notion of what constitutes a game. I'll hold out for Fallout 3, thanks (and email Bethsoft for the 2500th time telling them to get some gameplay footage of the TES5 alpha where I can see it.)

i never did play the fist but i hope that the second will be better its just i always liked games that went on your own choices that way if it doesn't turn out good its your own fault since you turn out exactly like you would in the real world by your choice

Nikita89:

The chicken kicking is still fantastic.

Russ Pitts:

Nikita89:

You're both horrible, horrible people. Poor little chickens.

The quote at the end made me laugh :)

Probably my most anticipated game of the year, I loved the first Fable and have been dying for Fable 2. Then again I'm a huge RPG fanboy :( gonna pick it up at the weekend and hopefully it will live up to my expectations!

So, If I absolutely loved the original (mainly due to me being unaware of Molyneux's existence beforehand), how am I going to feel with this game?

Because this review seems to be coming from people who deem the prequel mediocre.

I've not got Fable 2 yet (its released tomorrow here) and this is the first review I've read/watched from the escapist outside of Yahtzee's reviews.

Firstly, Fable 2 does look great and Susan's words do suggest it'll be a great game when I get my paws on it.

Anyway, the review itself was a good, well written piece, and the 'Who's a good doggie' but made me smile. Looking forward to both Fable 2 and future reviews from you!

Lord Krunk:
So, If I absolutely loved the original (mainly due to me being unaware of Molyneux's existence beforehand), how am I going to feel with this game?

Because this review seems to be coming from people who deem the prequel mediocre.

Actually, I loved the first one. I completely ignored all the pre-release info about it, and as a result, wasn't the least bit disappointed by it. If you enjoyed the first one, trust me, you will be thrilled with Fable 2.

Susan Arendt:

Lord Krunk:

Actually, I loved the first one. I completely ignored all the pre-release info about it, and as a result, wasn't the least bit disappointed by it. If you enjoyed the first one, trust me, you will be thrilled with Fable 2.

Same here, actually - although I knew of Molyneux from before

Russ Pitts:

Nikita89:

Can they still defy gravity and simple laws of physics by being punted something like 200 yards by steel boots and land like nothing happened?

Good'ol memories of playing "chicken golf-ball" around towns.

Susan Arendt:

Lord Krunk:

Great to know. Now all I have to do is wait for the Australia release.

Wheres my credit card? I'm deffinatly buying this game... Wait... Is it ever out in Australia yet??

Love this game.

_Nocturnal:
I like.
Everything besides the fact it's not yet on PC, that is.

Ditto here.

I'd want a cat rather than a dog though, but the idea of getting lucratively wealthy from my own acquired shops and still being able to "AHM A CHARGIN' MAH FIREBALL" makes me think I shall be getting it ASAP.

Susan Arendt:

Russ Pitts:

Nikita89:

You're both horrible, horrible people. Poor little chickens.

Maybe they're just fowl people. Or it's a poultry manner?

The chickens do seem to get a bad time overall though...Zelda/Diablo/Dungeon Keeper...

Dear Christ. Am I the only one who thought that watching this review was pure torture? It was slow, uninteresting, and I felt like I was watching someone else play a one player video game after they invited me over. Umm... this was all you wanted to do?

Also, this wasn't a REVIEW! It was more like a tutorial. The thing about tutorials is... the usually COME WITH THE GAME! You didn't say what you liked or disliked about it. All you told us was the dog isn't as annoying as other video game sidekicks, and the game didn't suck as much as you thought it was going to.

Also, the fact that you thought this game was going to suck in the first place is more evidence to the fact that you lack any knowledge of what you're talking about.

Epic Fail...

Rogue 09:
Dear Christ. Am I the only one who thought that watching this review was pure torture? It was slow, uninteresting, and I felt like I was watching someone else play a one player video game after they invited me over. Umm... this was all you wanted to do?

Also, this wasn't a REVIEW! It was more like a tutorial. The thing about tutorials is... the usually COME WITH THE GAME! You didn't say what you liked or disliked about it. All you told us was the dog isn't as annoying as other video game sidekicks, and the game didn't suck as much as you thought it was going to.

Also, the fact that you thought this game was going to suck in the first place is more evidence to the fact that you lack any knowledge of what you're talking about.

Epic Fail...

The video isn't a review, it's a supplement to the written review, which addresses everything I did and didn't like about the game. And if you could point out where I said I thought the game would suck, please do. I believe what I actually said is that after playing it at E3, I thought it was just more Fable.

Susan Arendt:

Rogue 09:

Epic Fail...

The video isn't a review, it's a supplement to the written review, which addresses everything I did and didn't like about the game. And if you could point out where I said I thought the game would suck, please do. I believe what I actually said is that after playing it at E3, I thought it was just more Fable.

He obviously isn't worth your time Susan. Let him go back to gamespot so he can be drip fed more video reviews. God forbid someone tells him what THEIR opinion is, he wants to know what HIS opinion is.

So thats how you pronounce your last name. I always thought it sounded more like something from DnD.

I don't think I will be getting Fable 2. Don't get me wrong, I loved Fable 1 so much that I went out and bought the Lost Chapters only so that I could have a few more hours of Gameplay and some cool new swords. I really loved that game. But this year there is to many games coming out that demand my attention, Fallout 3 being one of the main ones. I'll probably end up borrowing Fable II from a friend when he gets preoccupied with The Wrath of the Lich King.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here