Zero Punctuation: Silent Hill Homecoming

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

sigh..

Well the Americans didn't fuck it up as much as I'd expected them to, but sadly, the removal of most things that make a game scary (real fear, not just jump scares) is becoming a startling habit.

PedroSteckecilo:
(I sold my SH 1 years ago, a mistake on my part).

As for you Pedro, having done so myself, I suggest that you search ebay/craig's list for the original Silent Hill, if you're interested. A lot of copies were being sold last time I checked, and you might still be able to find a reasonably priced copy (you know I recommend it).

I was slightly disapointed with the whole hype of the pyramid head in the game, and not being able to even fight it or come in contact with it! it didnt ruin it but would have been better than just one cutscene! :/ still loved the the sean bean quote there.

"I'm sorry, I've just been having a bad day. I can't find one of the three emblems to unlock my front door and...."

Best part, to my mind.

While I am only about 75% through (according to my wife who doubted my boss murdering ways and looked through a walkthrough when I was fighting the d**l) I have to agree with most points.

Specifically the impression that this is a good game if you stand back and don't judge it as an entry in the Silent Hill verse but rather on its own.

It is much better than Origins and I would still recommend it but SH2 and SH3 are better.

classic yahtzee.

Yeah, it was kinda subpar. At least they didn't do a total cop out on Pyramid Head though, plus I thought it was kinda cool to show that you weren't the only one in the game who did anything other than sit around waiting for you to show up before talking to you or getting their stupid ass dragged off somewhere.

Favorite Review :D! I loved the bit at the end.

the ending to this is gold, still get a kick watching it

I was expecting Yahtzee to be even more harsh with this game, because it's as generic and as dull as they come.

This is what SH4 should have been in the first place.

good job Yahtzee

Actually, I hate to admit it, but this game really was not as shitty as you said it was. There were several parts of the game where there really weren't that many monsters, or at least not that you had to fight. In fact, I think that its main problem was its indecisiveness. At times, it was trying to do the creepy, psychological stuff of Silent hill 2, while at others it tried to do the Silent Hill 3 slightly-more-in-your-face-than-Silent-Hill-2, everything is red kind of thing (which I thought was the best part, in hell mode in your house) and at other times it tried to do the res-ev in yo' face violence thing. It needed to stick to one or two, or at least switch between them in a more organized form.

I haven't watched this Zero Punctuation episode yet, since I lost my interest in it a long time ago, but judging from the comments, he bashed the game.

Bullshit.

Homecoming is far, far better than Silent Hill 3 & 4. And it has less combat than any other game in the series.

jeretik:
I haven't watched this Zero Punctuation episode yet, since I lost my interest in it a long time ago, but judging from the comments, he bashed the game.

Bullshit.

Homecoming is far, far better than Silent Hill 3 & 4. And it has less combat than any other game in the series.

When I beat Silent Hill 3, I killed 10 monsters the entire game, including bosses (okay, so I did kill more the first time I played it, but my friend and I had to start over because we couldn't beat the final boss). I don't know about 4, because I've only played it for about an hour, but SH5 is not as good as 3. SH5 improved the combat system, which made me feel like I had the upper hand in every battle. Not only that, but there were so few places where you could just run away, and so I just got used to fighting. In Silent Hill 3, there was almost no ammo or health, and fighting was nigh impossible, so I just gave up and ran most of the time. I'm not saying 5 is bad, just that I totally agree with Yahtzee (and believe me, I often don't) in saying that the game should have dumped the whole "Silent Hill" part of the game and call it something else. In fact, as far as combat goes, you're right, SH5 is a better game, but Silent Hill is one of those weird games where I can say "The combat and gameplay and control scheme all suck, but this is STILL one of my favorite games ever."
So yeah, SH3 minus scary would SUCK ASS. HARD. But scary is what it's made for.

As an odd side note, there is apparently a Silent Hill game coming out for the Wii called "Silent Hill: Shattered Memories" where there isn't any combat at all, but they announced it on April Fools, so it may be a joke.

gmanyo:

jeretik:

Bullshit.

In Silent Hill 3, there was almost no ammo or health, and fighting was nigh impossible, so

I still remember having more ammo in SH3 than I encountered in all of SH5: Homecoming, and killing 50-60 monsters.

I'm sad. With this sequel the raped the series, placed it in a coffin and put the final nail to it.
Everything I loved in the Silent Hill is gone. No more feeling that there's a looming threat breathing down your neck that you cannot see, no more feeling of helplessness that keeps you psychologically scarred while you're playing. For Christ's sake there are COUNTER KILLS. How can you fear a big monster you can kill with a combat knife? Damn. Also, there are points in the game where monsters spawn indefinitely. Even resident evil doesn't do that.
I'm just at the hotel part... that's what, the second location? And already this game killed everything Silent Hill. Damn you Double Helix.

jeretik:

gmanyo:

jeretik:

Bullshit.

In Silent Hill 3, there was almost no ammo or health, and fighting was nigh impossible, so

I still remember having more ammo in SH3 than I encountered in all of SH5: Homecoming, and killing 50-60 monsters.

Uh. There's an unlimited amount of monsters in a certain floor in the hotel level. They come out of a hole in the hallway.

So what? Just enjoy the damn game, it's one of the best this year so far.

Um...confusing?

Gontear:

jeretik:

gmanyo:

jeretik:

Bullshit.

Uh. There's an unlimited amount of monsters in a certain floor in the hotel level. They come out of a hole in the hallway.

Really? Huh. Maybe it's because I played it in a garage on a projector where the screen was still impossibly dark on the highest brightness setting (we couldn't even see the crescent moon on the mall door leading to the split worm boss). In fact, it was so dark that we didn't find any SMG ammo the entire first time we played it. That's also probably why I consider it the most frightening silent hill; the walls in that garage looked a lot like the ones in the game.

But yeah, there were way more monsters. I just never bothered fighting (or at least on the second time through, the time that we DIDN'T get stuck on the final boss and have to start over).

gmanyo:

Gontear:

jeretik:

gmanyo:

jeretik:

Bullshit.

Really? Huh. Maybe it's because I played it in a garage on a projector where the screen was still impossibly dark on the highest brightness setting (we couldn't even see the crescent moon on the mall door leading to the split worm boss). In fact, it was so dark that we didn't find any SMG ammo the entire first time we played it. That's also probably why I consider it the most frightening silent hill; the walls in that garage looked a lot like the ones in the game.

But yeah, there were way more monsters. I just never bothered fighting (or at least on the second time through, the time that we DIDN'T get stuck on the final boss and have to start over).

I think there's a misunderstanding. I was talking about Silent Hill 5 having unlimited monster spawn points. Read some official reviews. I just noticed it on the hotel level.

At least the flashlight in SH3 illuminated something... the flashlight in SH5 seemed like it had been turned on for a year.

Anyone know where I can buy this game at? I checked Block Buster, Bestbuy, and Target and non had it...I also went to videogame stores and they sold out so anyone have a clue where I can buy it at? I'd appreciate it and this was hilarious...probably the only game I know that seems to truley bring fright

Ahahahahaha! Didn't catch the ending first time through.
That made me laugh. =D

The mentioning of the love interest shoehorn reminds me of the fate of the attempted movie adaption of H.P. Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness" which met an apalling but not totally unsuprising end when it was rejected by Warner Bros. for not having a happy ending or romantic subplot.

lol whos this... oh f**k off
xD lol

i am so glad that "fans are clingy complaining dipshits" etc is gone from the end of every episode

i also used gamefaqs for the coat of arms

i feel special knowing ive been in love with silent hill 2 ever since i played it back in the day

especially when mannequins are hurled out onto the street in front of you while your walking

mind-fuck games should make a comeback

i've never played this game. nor do i want to. why make a game called 'silent hill' if it's not even set in the bloody place.
personally i think climax and hilix should be kicked in the nuts, tied up and thrown into the back of a car then reverse it off a cliff, then we'll never have to enjure the wrath of bad gaming design, bad storylines and sh*tty combat.

don't get me wrong i love the first 3 silent hill games (back when the professionals were doing it)but there's only so much you can do in a haunted town. there are a lot of horror ideas that have not yet been explored.
i heard that there is going to be a remake of the first silent hill, silent hill shattered memories. i loved the idea (Hyocritically) but when i heard that climax studios were doing it i thought we'd just be getting yet another bloody origins.
so when i found out you run around pointlessly heckling your daughters name running around with nothing more than a torch and being cased around by naked children i couldn't help but feel a bit put off, if you get my drift.

i think the monsters belong in silent hill 2 insted of that sloth thing

Should I bother pointing out that this technically isn't Silent Hill V? You know since it doesn't have the arbitrary number attached to it.

rofl love the video clip after the credits. Must do another video clip like that. As usual you dont let us fans down haha.

Wonder what he will think of Silent Hill Shattered Memories... so far my self i think it's probably one of the best title of the serie

This game was different from the other silent hills but it was still very enjoyable, and the silent hill series will always be the best horror game series ever cause most of the other games in the genre rnt scary aka the new resident evil games or don't make any sense

I liked that fansub thing you did at the end!

aww... i wanted to see that spectacle i brought my knife and fork camrea as well.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)