173: Cosplay and Effect

Pages PREV 1 2

Cosplaying is pretty fun. The only reason i like it is that i can be someone else, or at least look like them. The only character i ever dress up as is the crow and thats because i love the movie. Plus, it goes against the norm as well. I just love being different then others.

olicon:

One thing that always make me curious though, is that cosplayers just don't seem competitive. You step into any hobby, and people are bound to compare, contrast, judge, and boast about their creation and ability. Gamers do the famous tea-bagging, ballers trash talk, etc. But cosplayers..I haven't seen one that argue over why his sephiroth costume is the best. They just..stand there, and appreciate other people's work. How the heck can they remain so calm in the face of so much rivalry? (I want two cat girls in a cat fight, dammit!)

Well, i would hate/love to see a whole area being ripped apart because of a fight about whos constume is better. and me as well, two catgirls in a fight, awesome!

~DM

I did cosplay once as a anime character. I thought it was alright but wasn't really all that's cracked up to be. My main problems with it are where do you find all the props you need, the time and money these things would take up and I'm pants on head retarded when it comes to making clothes.

Edit: Can someone please explain to me what this whole article was about? I could barely make heads or tails about it.

RAKtheUndead:
What does confuse me, though, is the decided lack of representations of Western science-fiction characters.

this guy is no anime character, guess who he is

A German Nazi wearing a lab coat designed to make his wanker look larger?

I hope this doesn't mean we will be seeing furries walking on the streets.

I object only to blatantly terrible cosplays, and while I'll never cosplay, seeing a perfect cosplay of Snake from Metal Gear Solid is always awesome.

Hahah, if I ever was to cosplay it'd be Dr. William Weir from Event Horizon or something. ^^

I was quite into customes back in the day (like, when I was a child), especially for Halloween and Carnival. But I sorta outgrew that phase. I do understand that some people still do this, I suppose it's a hobby as any other of the nerdier ones (RPG, Tabletops, LARP)...

Still, I find some of the costumes very creepy...

Cos play should really be seen as fancy dress with a computer game/anime theme, theres absolutely nothing wrong with it at all,

http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/

cosplaying to me is just interacting with ur beloved characters and expressing how it affects u to other ppl. It's fun, like Halloween and such. Some ppl go to far though and spend almost all their cash for one occasion it's pretty interesting lol :p but personally it's a way to say, "Hey, i'm a fan of this and want to be part of an inspration that led me to dress like this." It had bad and good...it should be once a year besides Halloween in my view but I admire the creativity.

I'm award winning at the Manifest convention in Melbourne :D The first year I came second for cosplay-roleplay as Filia from Slayers Try and the second year I came first for Hyatt from Excel Saga.

olicon:

One thing that always make me curious though, is that cosplayers just don't seem competitive. You step into any hobby, and people are bound to compare, contrast, judge, and boast about their creation and ability. Gamers do the famous tea-bagging, ballers trash talk, etc. But cosplayers..I haven't seen one that argue over why his sephiroth costume is the best. They just..stand there, and appreciate other people's work. How the heck can they remain so calm in the face of so much rivalry? (I want two cat girls in a cat fight, dammit!)

Cosplay takes a lot of time and effort. Even if you feel (and know) your costume is better than someone else's, you don't get catty about it because you know they did their best. Unfortunately we're not all great tailors, I know I'm not, I've always been more of a happy helper and art director. Whenever I see a costume that doesn't look quite right, my thinking immediately goes to what steps to take to improve it, rather than mock the creator.

I get the sense at the end of the article is trying to convert people to cosplay.

I highly admire the craftmanship and sight of cosplayers. Delight to see, even when I wouldn't attempt it myself. I really enjoy how some people flesh out in-game characters and the picture for this article is DEFINITLY entincing and a good example.

Nice read.

I've seen pic of some girls dressed for cosplay..

They make me feel tingly in pants!

Although i only resort to alcohol meself, and run around naked!

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here