The Escapist Show: Episode One: Fallout 3

Pages PREV 1 2

Russ Pitts:

Next time, I'll try to grow a bigger sack so that I won't flub the delivery so much. That's my promise to you.

Well, the prolonged proximity to the nuclear power plant should be able to help with that. Maybe a third arm, too.

I watched an interview with the scenario writer on GT a while back, and the journalist asked him something along the lines "Are there a lot of shades of grey in this game?", and the guy just looked sort of confused for a while and then said something like "Well... you can be good... or evil!"

This worries me : ( Also, I've seen a lot of headshots so far, but what about leg, arm or groin attacks? Those were important tools to survive in the original : ( If there are no advantages to those options, why bother keeping them in? I hope I'm just paranoid...

Believe you me, Russ, that cult I'm starting devoted to the Escapist will be in full swing real soon.

Cause I worship you guys, get it?

Like gods?

With your own cult? Lol?

Susan Arendt:

Russ Pitts:

Next time, I'll try to grow a bigger sack so that I won't flub the delivery so much. That's my promise to you.

Well, the prolonged proximity to the nuclear power plant should be able to help with that. Maybe a third arm, too.

Even though I recognise the joke, I have noted that it's exponentially more likely for that sort of thing to happen when you're standing next to a coal-fired power plant than it would be standing next to a nuclear power plant. If you had a Geiger counter, you'd likely detect nothing beyond background radiation.

In fact, I'd be more frightened to stand near a wind turbine than a nuclear power plant. I mean, there is a risk of those turbine blades falling off and impaling me!

Dectilon:
This worries me : ( Also, I've seen a lot of headshots so far, but what about leg, arm or groin attacks? Those were important tools to survive in the original : ( If there are no advantages to those options, why bother keeping them in? I hope I'm just paranoid...

Head shots are certainly the most dramatic way to kill someone, with a critical literally exploding the head like a soft melon. So that's why you see them so much. Depending on your weapon, distance and the situation targeting different areas can be used to your advantage. Guy coming at you swinging a baseball bat, shoot him in the legs to slow him down. You run into 3 guys. One of them has an assault rifle and the other 2 only have pistols. I few shots into the assault rifle holder's arms and he has either dropped it or won't be hitting you. Which lets you finish them off at leisure.

<from the manual>
Head - reduced perception, concussion effect.
Arms - reduced aiming ability. Enemies will be disarmed at the moment their arm is crippled.
Chest - higher chance to be staggered when taking damage.
Legs - reduced run speed. Enemies cannot preform leaping or charging attacks.

Wow, thats a really nice addition to the escapist! Especially if you can keep on getting interviews like that! Can't believe I have to wait 2 more days till Fallout comes out.... grumble.. grumble...
I thought office lvl up was great by the way! Wish I had a minion...

Slycne:

<from the manual>
Arms - reduced aiming ability. Enemies will be disarmed at the moment their arm is crippled.

And groin? : )

When I played Fallout 2 I won lots of battles by kicking people in the nuts, stunning them so I almost always had only one opponent to fight. : )

Codgo:
Not a bad little video, where was the interview filmed?

The interview with Todd Howard was from this year's E3 in LA.

Awesome, I can't wait to see more.

I have to say, the latest videos from the escapist have been superb so far, with the video reviews, zero punctuation, and the latest De-rez (although I'd class them more as great than superb), with the Tokyo games show stuff and all that too. And now this, which is also good and witty...

Basically, keep up the good work guys!

Thanks Doug. We're happy you're happy. :)

RAKtheUndead:

Susan Arendt:

Russ Pitts:

Even though I recognise the joke, I have noted that it's exponentially more likely for that sort of thing to happen when you're standing next to a coal-fired power plant than it would be standing next to a nuclear power plant. If you had a Geiger counter, you'd likely detect nothing beyond background radiation.

In fact, I'd be more frightened to stand near a wind turbine than a nuclear power plant. I mean, there is a risk of those turbine blades falling off and impaling me!

Lighten up Francis.

Dectilon:

Slycne:

<from the manual>

And groin? : )

When I played Fallout 2 I won lots of battles by kicking people in the nuts, stunning them so I almost always had only one opponent to fight. : )

No groin targeting that I have found thus far, but I wouldn't put it passed them to slip it in there somewhere. Maybe a hidden perk unlock.

brice85:

Codgo:

Bah! I knew i had seen something like it before, i remember seeing the powered armour in the background from other vids.

Codgo:

brice85:

Codgo:

Bah! I knew i had seen something like it before, i remember seeing the powered armour in the background from other vids.

We shot a pretty long interview with him in LA and used a fraction of it for our E3 coverage video. What you're seeing here is the rest.

This is the second or third time I've interviewed Todd throughout my career. Personally, I think he's one of the brightest guys working. He seems to "get it" in a way some devs don't. He knows his games aren't going to cure cancer or anything, but he still puts his heart into them. Anybody who's realistic about their place in the universe automatically gets my attention.

Nice little video, I say.

While I agree that the beginning seemed a bit forced, I can say that that can be excused with the whole being-on-a-government-controlled-nuclear-plant-area thing, as well as it being the first of a series. I'm sure after a few episodes we'll be looking at very Escapist-quality material (that is, very high.)

I'm hope that the Zero Punctuation preview is a once off. Without going into too much detail:
1. Seems a bit pointless
2. Feels like a bit of a cop-out for lack of original content
3. I would have thought you'd be promoting other sections of the site ahead of ZP, as it's probably the most popular thing on the site already

Apart from that, this should be a good little show. Focus on the 'extra' segments to differ yourself from all the other "we cover all the 'iews'" shows.

I wanted more shaky-cam zoom-ins on the nuclear power plant while the mediocre, digitized Metal track blared in the background. This stuff is more intense than every episode of Rocket Power combined!

Russ Pitts:
Thanks Doug. We're happy you're happy. :)

Erm, one thing - I can't see the Escapist show on the 'Videos' tab...?

Doug:

It should be the 3rd one down on the Videos page; does it still not show up for you?

brice85:

Doug:

It should be the 3rd one down on the Videos page; does it still not show up for you?

It does now... didn't when I posted.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Russ's bit : I don't think you mentioned the Escapist enough.

Fallout 3 : Dammit. Stop making me want this game.

ZP : That is an astounding idea Yahtzee, I'd back the Genius game all the way.

Office Level Up : Good, but you didn't show the evil xp draining customers.

i agree on all

Russ Pitts:

RAKtheUndead:

Susan Arendt:

Russ Pitts:

Lighten up Francis.

"You just made the list."

I am the only one who thinks the VAT's system looks crap?

VAT's Is the best, its convincing blowing off an enemies head with a combat shotgun. Anyone that thinks otherwise is weird. 0_o

I like your new show. I've been watching the 1UP show on 1UP.com for a while now. It's great to know there are now at least two shows devoted to reviewing/previewing video games. It sure beats watching most of the b.s. that is on cable tv. Your shows are pretty funny too.

Keep up the good work!

Huh, very informative, and with a style and spirit all its own. I like this show.

And the rest go to....charisma. (Grows giant mustache). Funny. Good work guys.

Yay V.A.T.S., it makes blowing off heads easier.

Great video. Can't wait to watch the other eps. :D

No matter how entertaining it is, I still miss the old fashion Fallout 1&2 Gameplay :(

I could barely hear you over the bad music.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here