Zero Punctuation: Saints Row 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

I've heard similar things from a friend of mine. Appears GTA has fallen whilst it seems Saint's row beat it. Sounds really cool and now I need to play the game sometimes. I've neglected my machines too much latly.

Qorn:
I have always found just blowing shit away is the funnest thing you can do in these type of games that's why mercenaries always intrigued me, but just a little. The thing that mercenaries 2 didn't seem to exceed in was story, but apparently that's not the point of the game and was asking too much. i guess going into this kind of game i shouldn't expect as much from the story as i do from the actual gameplay. I hope it's worth the rent for the moderate praise that yahtzee gives so few games.

Story's actually pretty good.

monstesjars:
The only thing Saints Row did better is by adding a bunch of useless features. If Rockstar had left off where they did from San Andreas they too would have added a bunch of useless features.

Unfortunately they decided to NOT follow San Andreas' footsteps. They instead removed features and worked on other areas like,graphics,physics,and detail. I myself am a modeler and can appreciate the amount of work put into making the GTA 4 city. You can tell that in Siants Row 2 they just copied buildings and textures all over the place to fill things up.

To summarize what I'm trying to say in Gta 4 you can go to the middle of the city and stare at beautifully modeled buildings, amazing car models and physics, and an astounding amount of adverse and active pedestrians. In Saints Row you won't see any of that, but you can get in a side seat of a car and shoot rockets!

It really depends what kind of gamer you are. Personally I would love to have both scenarios. But if I have to chose I'd rather play a game that has style and grace than one that was made to keep ADD kids busy for long periods of time.

yes game with bad graphic are never any fun at all *rolls eyes*

overfiend_87:
Clearly Yahtzee hasn't played City of Villans since most of what he said at the begining you can do in that online game, apart from it being batman that beats you up but heroes and even some villains who are in the way.

Congratulations for being the first person to get me to go back and rewatch a review (they aren't funny the second time) Anyways,

Yahtzee specifically said it would have to be a "sandbox crime game." City of Villains is a MMORPG (a genre Yahtzee doesn't like). You can't just do whatever you want (i.e. sandbox) because there are other people who might not like it and will likely fight back.

But, yes, I agree with the general statement: What Yahtzee wants is a single player version of City of Villains.

very funny review as per usual. although "playing with an excitable dog in a paddling pool full of disembodied breasts" is a very weird thought

ok, that super villian game sounds good!!!

While I didn't find it all too funny this week, it certainly has made me look upon Saints Row 2 in a different light, I may be inclined to go and check it out now, rather than just passing it off as a game that's to be left in the bargain bin.

I prefer SR2 over GTA4 also.

love it. :D

Did he say Gears of War is realistic?

Yahtzee. Play Evil Genius.

KenzS:
Did he say Gears of War is realistic?

If "shades of brown and grey" means realistic then...yes.

I thought this was one of the funniest reviews in a while. Before he was halfway through I was laugh so hard I couldn't hear most of the second half. Keep it up Yahtzee!

if no one has played it in here than i moght inform you that there is an underground mall under a mall.... yea, anyways,my point is that ther is a costume store in it called lets pretend. If you had a fantasy to dres as a pirate therses a costume for you, if you want to look like a barber ther is one for you too, and if you wanted to flash people in the game than there is an extra long trench coat so you willy dosent get lonely of youst looking at you all the time. just so you know. also i never realy likes the GTA reries because my charchter alwas looks nothing like i wanted it to.

Awesomeness!

crimped:
ok, that super villian game sounds good!!!

volition is looking for ideas so maby it might come true. also the top hat one would be way awsomer if they aded a human with curly hair and a guitar,with the worlds most ridiculus complection...wait hold on

You know,I haven't heard one person rag on this game after you reviewed it.

probobly because he alredy killed all of the idiots brains and implanteld frech ones that are on fire and have tits,

the protaginist:
You know,I haven't heard one person rag on this game after you reviewed it.

because dipstiks need sombody to think for then, i for once think that the trailblazing activities have mor lasting appeal than the storry line because you get rewards for doing some of the tedius tasks they give you.

Yahtzee strikes me as a gamer who really likes to inject his own flavour into the storyline of a game where the supplied storyline is lacking or deliberately "spacious", and I indulge in this as well.

While I think a lot of people are finding SR2's digression from the path to gritty realism a welcome change, I'm going to put myself up as the devil's advocate here.

I would say that I (and Yahtzee) have vested interest in spicing up games with my own storylines, motivations, etc., but I find that in more realistic games this is generally easier to enjoy. I say 'enjoy' and not 'do' because in more realistic games you tend to get more immersed in everyday expectations - you walk around Liberty City and feel like "this could be real", and then you go and pick up your date for the night in a semitrailer caked in blood and legs. That is definitely more jarring (and hence entertaining) than doing the same in a colourful whacky version of reality, e.g. SR2, GTA1.

In fact I would catch myself trying to offset the absurd comedy I injected into the storyline of my Niko character by investing time in the more realistic aspects of Grand Theft Normal Boring Life. The TV ads and stuff? They fit the bill perfectly for tipping the scales neatly back in between gritty and hilarious, immersive and entertaining.

I've seen the gameplay movies of SR2 and it doesn't really strike me as a game that concentrates much on realism. To me it's like they've taken the idea of "user-created storyline" and incorporated it as part of the game - encouraging it by making the world less realistic and putting more effort into the whacky shit like "doing x to old granny y". To me it's inbalanced, and would get boring after a while.

Not that GTA4 didn't suffer from repetitiveness of missions being variations on "drive here, kill him, protect her, steal that, deliver this, yada yada yada", but I still prefer it over more stylised sandbox games like SR2.

Just as a sidenote, I think the whole balance thing between realism and user-created whackiness is enhanced many times over when you're with like minded people. Classic example: BF1942. When that game first game out and half the server population was learning to pwn and the other half learning to blow as many teammates sky high as possible, it was bliss.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Thanks for hitting off this chain of thoughts in my brain, Yahtzee.

I think this was really one of the only "funny" reviews in a while. Lately they had been getting a little to serious, but this one is back to the old comedy. On top of that, it shows a good example of what Yahtzee thinks good games are.

Now I don't think realism is "killing" games. Its just really popular right now, and eventually it will be equaled out, so that there is a good balance of realistic and not realistic games.

I'll have to check out SR2...

Gestapo Hunter:

monstesjars:
The only thing Saints Row did better is by adding a bunch of useless features. If Rockstar had left off where they did from San Andreas they too would have added a bunch of useless features.

Unfortunately they decided to NOT follow San Andreas' footsteps. They instead removed features and worked on other areas like,graphics,physics,and detail. I myself am a modeler and can appreciate the amount of work put into making the GTA 4 city. You can tell that in Siants Row 2 they just copied buildings and textures all over the place to fill things up.

To summarize what I'm trying to say in Gta 4 you can go to the middle of the city and stare at beautifully modeled buildings, amazing car models and physics, and an astounding amount of adverse and active pedestrians. In Saints Row you won't see any of that, but you can get in a side seat of a car and shoot rockets!

It really depends what kind of gamer you are. Personally I would love to have both scenarios. But if I have to chose I'd rather play a game that has style and grace than one that was made to keep ADD kids busy for long periods of time.

You missed his point - he appreciates the beauty of GTA4 above the fun - you wouldnt expect fun from a painting or some fine literature but that doesnt mean it is inferior. Games dont always have to be about fun.

However...

I'd worry about appreciating GTA4 for architechural modeling because if you care to glace your eyes a little above the ground floor level you'll find they arent just identical but downright lazy at times. Also, yes i see the appeal of a wonderfully detailed city where everything happens as it should but there were few times where there was anything i actually wanted to look at, just because life is a wonderful magical thing to some doesnt mean it is everywhere, and if your're going to base a game on that you should pick a location you'd actually want to be in.

Great review as always and - shock of shocks! - he liked it. And better than GTA4...
I need this game now...

Hilarious video, again. Hooray! I particularly liked the section which culminated in jumping out of a helicopter onto an old lady.

Old ladies.

Ok, now that review was great. I mean, how nuts do you have to be to make those in-game mini-games? That's on the verge to insanity.

To everyone that says GTA4 is better than saints row 2 I ask you when your playing your game is it fun? because games need to be fun not realistic realism is an option and for people that say realism is way more fun heres an example. Would you rather shock somone and have them fall over with an overloaded heart or have a game where you can shock somone and that sends them 4000 feet into the air then have them fall onto the roof of your car with a friend in there and hurl them into a gas station you decide.

I played Half Life 2 Smod Redux V2 Ravenholm level with that on in the background, every time it ended, I paused and replayed it, it made the much scarier Ravenholm seem less scary, and I felt like my Buckshot was your raw sewage that I was hosing people with!
You have GOT to do more of these, I've got to relieve stress from college somehow, and at the moment, you're my magic ticket!

"Team Rocket style."

...Best...reference...ever... :)

DJDarkViper, what the fuck is wrong with you? ''the first comment''

I really am enjoying SR2 more than GTAIV as a game, GTAIV was like a big crime drama epic, which was good but San Andreas and Vice City were both a game and an epic... so why wasn't IV?

I laugh at dead baby jokes.

I have a sexual fascination with over-the-top campy villains.

I am intrigued by a supervillain sandbox game, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

These just get better and better and btw Saints Row 2 better than GTA IV? Surely Not....

Avida:

Gestapo Hunter:

monstesjars:

You missed his point - he appreciates the beauty of GTA4 above the fun - you wouldnt expect fun from a painting or some fine literature but that doesnt mean it is inferior. Games dont always have to be about fun.

However...

I'd worry about appreciating GTA4 for architechural modeling because if you care to glace your eyes a little above the ground floor level you'll find they arent just identical but downright lazy at times. Also, yes i see the appeal of a wonderfully detailed city where everything happens as it should but there were few times where there was anything i actually wanted to look at, just because life is a wonderful magical thing to some doesnt mean it is everywhere, and if your're going to base a game on that you should pick a location you'd actually want to be in.

Actually the point of games is to entertain so, yes, they HAVE to be fun. That's why they're called games. If they weren't fun we would call them [World of Warcraft] I mean jobs.

Victory1140:
"Team Rocket style."

...Best...reference...ever... :)

Agreed! I had a good chuckle at this one. A lot of people I know have said SR2 is better than GTA4, but I didn't expect it from Yahtzee if I'm honest.

ygetoff:

Avida:

Gestapo Hunter:

monstesjars:

However...

Actually the point of games is to entertain so, yes, they HAVE to be fun. That's why they're called games. If they weren't fun we would call them [World of Warcraft] I mean jobs.

1) http://www.answers.com/entertainment Does. Not. Mean. Fun... And from wiki "A video game is a game that involves interaction with a user interface to generate visual feedback on a video device" again, no fun has to be present. That said GTA4 was a fun game, at times, for a short while so even by your misconceptions it forfilled its purpose.
2) WE - the public - called it a game, hell, call it an interactive movie if you really want all the facts remain, doesnt make it any less worthwhile.
3) The WoW thing... *sigh* nevermind

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or