Zero Punctuation: Dead Space

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

mspencer82:

Aries_Split:

mspencer82:

ElArabDeMagnifico:

YoungZer0:
Oh come on Yahtzee. You love Half-Life and Gordon Freeman also doesn't talk at all, so why is it here a problem?

First person perspective, and attachment to characters, and well-written script.

Really? At times during the review I had to keep reminding myself he was talking about Dead Space and not Half-Life 2.

...Your joking right? Because the Gravity Gun was useful in half life 2, the weapons were great, there were no annoying swarms of stupid bugs, I don't think you've played HL2.

The gravity gun was only useful to get the insane amount of crates out of your way in overly cluttered hallways. Other than that it was just an overly complicated way to make use of the physics engine. Yeah, you don't have to shake off bugs but the headcrabs were annoying as hell. I notice you didn't bother refuting the fact that HL has a mute protagonist that could easily be replaced by a plank of wood.

I played Half-Life 2 on PC shortly after it came out and later bought the Orange Box for Xbox 360 (check my gamer tag on my profile if you don't believe I played Half-Life 2 and its episodes). I don't hate Half-Life 2, I just think it's a really average, bland game.

Thank you, this is exactly my opinion on HL1/2.

Confession.... I've never played this full game.... What I DID play is the PS demo for it. And well............

Any game demo that's idea of fun is to dropkick you right into the middle of a swarm weilding nothing larger than a hand gun deserves to be skinned alive, set on fire, and burried 6 feet down in a coffin lined with salt- never mind actually charging people to play the game.

Course- it could be that I'm just bitter.

lol the review was funny, but i didn't find it too hard to relate to Isaac and get into the story and emotions he was feelin.. Maybe cause if you hit select and go to the mission logs you can see exactly what he's thinking and feeling, I dunno might be in but eh!
It's a pretty horrifying game in the sense of it is scary not that its bad, it was an amazing game truely, and plus who in their right mind would open their mouth to speak on the USG Ishamura with all that crap goin on! I'd be quieter than a mouse snuck' into his girlfriends bedroom getting it on when the walls were made only out of paper and the parents room was adjacent!

Ok, I played this game and have to admit I think it's great...as an action game...or it would of been if it wasn't so expensive. The gameplay was good and the graphics were good but it was about as horrifying as the movie "Titanic". Also the story sucked big time but I was expecting something like that from EA. So far I can only think of two good...products of the horror category that actually scared me: The first is obviously Silent Hill (the first 4 games) and the second is When The Cicadas Cry (Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni) the 48 episode anime.

Yahtzee you just dont like EA dead space is a grait horror game but your right about mr.robot here a hint to make the game fun give him diologe like mihtypento did and the reson it looks like that is becase it was attacked by neromorphs not zombes but it would be vary scare whith a carpit

I am going to wait until Dead Space hits the ten-ish dollar mark. By then I will have totally forgotten about it, see it in a bargain bin, get excited, buy it, play it, and thoroughly enjoy it.

Planning the future is fun.

mutilated peacocks HA!

Good review, but Ive just watched a walkthrough of it and I have to say that the storyline is retarded. Why does the double-crosser double-cross Isaac? It really seems like another case of 'because were bad guys and its what we do'. Awful storytelling and a myriad of things jumping out at you and the horror comes from knowing that things are going to jump out at you...which they do...constantly.

BTW, the inevitable death scene of the double-crosser...was that supposed to be satisfying? Staring at the final boss and screaming until theyre crushed into a fine paste? Id like to have seen what wouldve happened if the DC had been forced to stick around until Isaac boarded the shuttle expecting an explanation.

Lol @ wanting a space ship that actually looks like a nice place to live. Nice point.

ssgt splatter:
mutilated peacocks HA!

What?

queensbomb:

ssgt splatter:
mutilated peacocks HA!

What?

watch the review agian, Yahtzee describes the necromorphs as mutilated peacocks...god knows why he called them that but still HA!

LOL sympathy for bricks, hahaha

I felt sympathy for bricks once.

Wait, no.

Great review. I really loved this game, I found the atmosphere to be pretty scary at times.

I thought he was serious at the beginning, where it was just a minor communications problem and I figured that when you tried to LEAVE everything would go balls-up.

Great review

so far I'm playing the game and I'm loving it a lot its a lot of fun but its also kinda cheap how the all the enemies had cheap one hit kill move. But I do love pressing the R3 button(click the right stick down) and you get this blue line trail that helps you get around the ship. I wish more horror games had something like that.

When you said you wished that there was one ship that actually had the feel of a home it made me think of bioshock so there is something like that it just happens to be located underwater instead of outer space

I recommend playing this game with the akira yamaoka songs

I agree with Yahtzee. The sheer predictability renders any horror mute.

classic genius even the head of security looks like lawrence fishburn hahahahaha but seriously i dont get the izaac clarke thing what does he mean by that

I like Dead Space. It's not survival horror because there is no emphasis on surviving as your armed with weapons which most people would die for, and it's not horror because its basing most of its scares of something jumping through the door but it had good atmosphere and innovations.
The last thing you rip of though is Event Horizon.

Who would decorate a mining ship nicely, especially one that big?
Also no atmosphere and repetitive? Buuulll.
I'll agree with the sympathy for a brick statement though, that made me laugh.

PandyBear:
As much as i love this game. i gotta agree with Yahtzee on this one.... like always xD

This.

Thibaut:

PandyBear:
As much as i love this game. i gotta agree with Yahtzee on this one.... like always xD

This.

Dude, this threads been dead for like a month. Don't necro.

reg42:

Thibaut:

PandyBear:

This.

Dude, why do you care? Or better yet, why are you here?

Eat shit space cowboy... i'm going to forgive every bad thing you said about this amazing game just for that. I don't know what it is but I found this game very atmospheric and the slow time mechanic actually to be necessary. I mean seeing a horrifying monster coming at you really fast is one thing but seeing all of its horrificness being slowly driven at you is terrifying. Oh well thanks for all the good stuff you said about it, maybe you just can't look at games the same way after playing the awesomeness that is saints row 2.

Hrm... I think his lack of a voice kinda was EA's attemp at making him seem like the Gordon Freeman of 3rd person shooters. The problem being 3rd person doesnt quite put you in his shoes so you see him as just a robot who can only scream. Lucky enough hes getting a voice in the sequel. Which will be as sweet as the first, but from the gameplay I've seen they are ramping up the desperation of encounters, especially one point where he gets sucked out into space, scrambles to cling to a spaceship, and has to despertaly shoot at a huge necromorph before it tears him in half

'I like chips'. The best line of all time.

Loved the Event Horizon reference.

Glad I'm not the only person that's seen it =p

Great review as always, been planning on playing it but haven't gotten around to it with all the other games I've got on my list.

I thought it was interesting that you had an issue with Isaac Clarke's mute role when one of you favorite games is Half Life, home of Mr. Mute Gordon Freeman. (By the way I love Half Life too.) I didn't mind the lack of voice acting for Isaac in Dead Space, and thought it added into the overall feeling of the game. I'm interested to see a review of Dead Space 2, if you get the chance.

Interesting how a combination (better sounding than rip-off) of a few separately unique and awesome games can sound so bad... (I've yet to play Dead Space) Anyways for me two things scare me in a video game: 1, when monsters jump out at you (like practically all of Doom 3) and 2, when you can't see the monsters but know that somethings there (like in Resident Evil 4 in the very beginning of the boss fight with Verdugo).

I think DS has some good concepts, making the monsters basically unkillable, having to settling for crippling them instead. Problem is, the desire to show off the monsters. I found the scariest moments the rare times I couldn't actually see the creature.

S.T.U.D.:
Good to know I don't have to play a game to be RIGHT. He pretty much mentioned everything I thought the game was going to be. And it all started with a logo... EA.

That is quite an opinion you have there.
A amusing critique validated your opinion on something you have not played...
Oi Vey!

S.T.U.D.?
More like C.H.U.D.

Thibaut:

reg42:

Thibaut:

This.

Dude, why do you care? Or better yet, why are you here?

Dude!
I just beat the game, that is why I am here.
Just as an example of what someone would post something after the first five minutes it is live.

So i finished this game couple days ago. The game does borrow a lot from other games and movies, event horizon being the most obvious but then such classics like silent hill and resident evil does so aswell. It does get repetitive and somewhere in the middle you do start to wonder what more is there. Well at least they got one thing right, not too much money. most games jut shower you with money and ammo more than you can carry, this is one of those rare games where you have to actually buy the ammo you need by selling off other ammo. Though yes, ripper is probably a kill-all gun.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here