Review: Gears of War 2

Review: Gears of War 2

Gears of War 2 is loud, dumb, and a hell of a lot of fun.

Read Full Article

That was a good review. I would also like to add that later in the game, when you're underground again, and the Queen is yapping your ear off as you fight towards her, randomly, in one of the blocks that can be destroyed, there's a toaster, which, if you use, will lead Marcus to shout, after a few seconds, "Who Wants Toast!?!" It's hilarious and totally random.

The inside of a giant worm has been done before in Jet Force Gemini, a third person shooter released 1999 on the N64, complete with a brain, pools of blood, oceans of stomach acid and other things you'd expect to find inside a giant worm. Like explosive barrels. Good to know someone else finally adopted/thought of the giant worm setting though, and within a decade! It's sure to make me feel nostalgic. Especially if you enter through the mouth and exit through the...eh...other end.

Giant worm (beggining) / Worm head seen at 4:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU17yIPzEi4

Giant worm (half way through)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwae-awyAZ4&feature=related

Secret brain area
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuXxCJJ0W0c

Exit through the anus (Do worms, albiet giant, have those?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUOgt2qU14k

Good review. The cover mechanics look billion times better

Me and my friend went on a GoW2 rampage this weekend. When Cliffy B. spoke about the game, he didn't say it would take A WHOLE @!#%ING WEEKEND ON HARDCORE!!!

P.S.-- I love the caps lock key

The story is, as Design Director Cliffy B told The Escapist earlier this year, "fucking dark."

Makes sense. Considering it's a game about a main character who abandons his post to save his father's life and fails, you wouldn't expect that game to be all good times when it comes from a designer who lost his father at fifteen with no warning.

Mstrswrd:
That was a good review. I would also like to add that later in the game, when you're underground again, and the Queen is yapping your ear off as you fight towards her, randomly, in one of the blocks that can be destroyed, there's a toaster, which, if you use, will lead Marcus to shout, after a few seconds, "Who Wants Toast!?!" It's hilarious and totally random.

Spoiler notice please!

i liked that :D good :D

Hmmm...
SPOILERS
Surprised he didn't mention the "dynamic" rockworm cover gimmick.
The Frame rate issues on the tank level, (and also how small arms fire can take down a tank?)
The great dialogue (There will be a shitload of them Sarge. More like 10 Shitloads.)
The lovely razor hail (I pefer kryll, atleast those inspired terror, this just makes you feel like your in maze)
and most of all the awesome underwater boss, thats about as glitchy as it gets.

mmmm wonder what yahtzee would say Mr Pitts :)

Great review! Gears of War 2 and Fallout 3, here I come!

Azzaevil:

I imagine we'll find out eventually. Although I'd be careful drawing comparisons. I consider Yahztee more of a critic, than a reviewer.

Russ Pitts:

Azzaevil:

I imagine we'll find out eventually. Although I'd be careful drawing comparisons. I consider Yahztee more of a critic, than a reviewer.

There is a difference.

Kind of like comparing Russ Pitts to Simon whateverhisnameisfromamericanidolthatconstantlybitchesandmoansbecausehehasnomusicaltalenthimselfbutlikestobelittleotherssohefeelsbetter.

Just not the same thing. Although Yahtzee is...Hilarious.

His hilarity almost matches that of someone falling face first on concrete.

beddo:

Mstrswrd:

Spoiler notice please!

...Okay. Didn't really think it was a spoiler at this point, conidering the sheer amount of videos that leaked before game release, articles that were written about the video's that were leaked, etc,. Sorry.

Mstrswrd:

beddo:

Mstrswrd:

Spoiler notice please!

...Okay. Didn't really think it was a spoiler at this point, conidering the sheer amount of videos that leaked before game release, articles that were written about the video's that were leaked, etc,. Sorry.

No problem! :)

i was just saying wondering what yahtzee would say, dont want to get on your bad side but im sure you know how he feels about the first one of this game.

Azzaevil:
i was just saying wondering what yahtzee would say, dont want to get on your bad side but im sure you know how he feels about the first one of this game.

No worries. I don't mind the question, but I genuinely don't know the answer. And I wouldn't presume to speak for him even if I did. He expresses himself quite well without my help. ;)

moar like gears of war 1.5

played it, enjoyed it, didn't feel like a "2" to me though

Hey...you got a Fallout reference into your Gears video review! Tricky...

Cheeze_Pavilion:
Hey...you got a Fallout reference into your Gears video review! Tricky...

There's an Aliens reference in there, too. ;)

Why don't reviewers criticize the matchmaking and loss of server browsing and map rotations?

To hear that voice once again... God, I miss GWJ radio days ;]

gears of war kick so much ass its cool though gears of war is one of those games where you could change so little and still cause a commotion the second is an overstatement of that

I hated the razor hail, it looked terrible, as if the particle effects suddenly went to hell; I thought it was some sort of glitch or graphical hiccup at first.

Hey...

I liked Gears of War 2...I also liked the first one...I believe they upgraded the game were necessary to make it feel different although basically it is exactly the same game. but they did well...

There are a few things I do not fully understand though:

- vehicle/flying/riding sections, they gave a magnificent game engine that actually works and is fun, so why in the name of any locust god would they stick you in vehicles way too often? I did not like them very much...

- bosses, a bit boring sums it up I guess, the underwater monster goes down so quickly you barely have time to take a look at it, the bossfight with the chainsaw bajonettes was like "look, we have this new move so lets just build this fight around it so the player has to use it - we do not care if it is fun or not"

- level design, pacing: I did not like the worm, it was stupid and the insides were ugly. Do not get me wrong - the worm should be ugly on the inside but what I mean here is that when you compare what the engine is capable of above ground in cities it is really disappointing to see that ugly worm. So my basic point here is that up to the worm level I liked the pace of the game, the leveldesign...the worm sucked...and then it slowly builds up again...but in my opinion never reaches the brilliant first part of the game...

- dialogue. this is really heavy stuff. :D but you would expect nothing else from delta...would you? made me laugh out loud more than once...

but that's it...ohterwise it is a great game really and I haven't even played multiplayer yet - well mostly because it takes like 2 weeks to get a party togehter - but i am sure this will improve soon...

cu guys

dude, u were wrong. gears of war 1 only had one act (act 3) underground. it was hardly underground, not largely underground. gears 2 has like 2 entire acts underground and the final part of the game goes underground yet again. not that that's a bad thing, but it was much more underground than gears 1 was. u mixed up ur facts, bro!

Russ Pitts:

There's an Aliens reference in there, too. ;)

Fortunately, you were able to say it, not spray it, unlike poor, poor Hudson...

Hey I have a question about a spot in act 3.
At one point during the driving section you go into this cave and nothing happens. Did I do something wrong or am I missing something?

The razor hail and carrying things between two characters were challenging the first few times around. But in all honesty I prefer razor hail to kryll. A little. (Mostly because I don't have to aim a light at it.)

GEARS2!!!

YAAAWWWWWNNN
i know you guys like it and all, and granted it is fun as hell
but how boreing can one game get, i got the jist of it from the first one so i dont see the point of this one cuz theres nothing new about it

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here