Zero Punctuation: Fallout 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Despite being rushed,buggy and underdeveloped(balance,item descriptions,dialog,ending,enemy variety,chems are hella weak and is under utilized,vats is under utilized, ect,ect ) its got enough content to make up for it but after the first 30 hours it gets boring as crap...
Would have been nice if they polished it up and balanced it... alot more....

Oh well with FOMM its fun to edit with "FOCK" it will rock!!

Also the devs obsession with cannibalism gets annoying after awhile...head hunters and super mutants I can agree on but to make all raiders cannibals by deault...uhg...

The beginning was good, I laughed. Fallout 3 is a great game and better than Oblivion (although I don't look at Oblivion quite as harshly as Yahtzee). Sadly, I've lost my copy of Fallout 3 somewhere in my apartment....has anyone seen it?

I gotta say I'm loving Fallout 3, It's been the best single player game play experience I've had in a LONG time. However I just read that they are planning 3 small download-able content packs in a few months. All for a cost... this annoys me to no end.

I payed $50 bucks for this game and while i feel I've gotten my money's worth, some free extras would just be the icing on the cake! It would keep my attention on Fallout 3 and give the Developers time to make Fallout 4.

DLC should be used to keep people interested in your product until you can deliver a new full game or even save the little things bundle them together add other small things, like most character creation options, or clothes and release a Large Expansion pack, not to try and soak every dime out of your consumers, and THEN hit them with another $50 game.

Ugh sorry for the Rant, just blowin off some steam, while waiting for the new ZP review.

lockgar:
O god, no more mutant forums, I believe someone had said something like this. "All of the normal people are no longer a part of the 'Fallout Community,' they're just fans of the games. The people who are a part of the 'Fallout Community' have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred."

http://www.nma-fallout.com/content.php?page=features&id=14

Yeah, except that I'm not a member of the No Mutant Allowed forums or the "Fallout Community". It merely happens to be the case that, after playing Fallout 1 & 2 and "ObliGun", I cannot see the latter title embodying anything of the titles it claims to be a sequel of. Bethesda bought a franchise and used it as a skin for their latest Elder Scrolls, not a lot more can be said.

The graphics are great on PC with some tweaking, so is Oblivion. Well done, that point. The music however, often made me wonder when I was going to reach Mordor rather than feel part of a postapocalyptic environment. Kills the atmosphere quite a lot, so it's nice someone put out a mod which can overwrite London Philharmonic with Fallout 1&2 tracks. Still, I had hoped that Bethesda would at least have kept the music at the same level. Their house, their rules 'ey. The gameplay is less complex than Fallout's as it centers purely on skill points, nothing else. All the strategy is laid out on a single level. Maybe mods will rectify this, I don't know, but playing vanilla Gunsblivion is not really challenging.

And let's not get started about FPS/TPS perspective, twitch gaming polluting a title which once was essentially a GURPS-based RPG and all that.

By its own merit it's an okay game (but nothing groundbreaking or deep about it as far as I can see) and as PablosDog mentions, not everyone in the "Fallout Community" is glittering its hatred over it. We're all individuals, with a subjective opinion. You. Me. Even the members of the "Fallout Community".

Either way, I think there would have been less of the "verbal opposition" you observe if only Bethesda hadn't glued a "3" to that Fallout. "Fallout Gaiden" would have been much more appropriate for a title, which throws out basically all the core points of the game and replaces them with other ones.

I've probably put in over 100 hours into fallout 3 and yeah the ending does suck, but then again so does everything else in life. not every story has a happy ending and a real hero rarely lives long enough to be called one. that's why the medal of honor is usually awarded posthumously. i still like the game and i think it turned out pretty good, just like Yahtzee said.

hah that was the best when the credits rolled in and he said "yeah its pretty good" and then the credits closed, classic yahtzee =D

Fallout 3 has waaaaaay too much hype.
It's not even that great.

I was toying with the notion of buying this game and now that it's got an 'okay' from Yahtzee, it's bound to be prett damn good because we know that in Yahtzeeworld, a game only gets an awesome if it's bleeds branston pickle...and that'll never happen.

I Am The Party:
I was toying with the notion of buying this game and now that it's got an 'okay' from Yahtzee, it's bound to be prett damn good because we know that in Yahtzeeworld, a game only gets an awesome if it's bleeds branston pickle...and that'll never happen.

If I remember correctly, Portal got an "awesome" from Yahtzee, or something similar. Speaking of branston pickle though... I think I know what lunch will be now. Anyway, now that the SDK release has been formally announced, I might actually get the game.

I finished this game last night after doing practically everything before progressing the main story. So, I do enjoy the game quite a lot, I just feel it suffers from the same fate as Fable 2, ending wise.
It was very disappointing.

The Liberty Prime thing even reminded me of the Great Shard battle, as in, way too over the top for it's own good. Then there's once again no reason to really be a walking arsenal, like in Fable 2, there is no big ending battle which requires you to be death with legs.
I know ending battles are cliche, but going in sfter saving so much up, I was really hoping for... something. All I got was the seldom seen 'antagonist' who died with one shot in VATS to the head.
Then I have to walk drooling and cross-eyed into a chamber of death when there's someone right beside us who is immune to radiation. (Fawkes)
UGH

Still, fun game, I'm playing over as a bad character now and getting plenty of entertainment value from this game. It is very good, infrequent crashes and all.
I just really wish it wasn't depressingly anticlimatic.

fallout 3 is pretty good...oh who am i kidding! its awesome. ive put in so muh time and the world is so huge. this is 3dog OUT!!!

I can seriously not figure Yahtzee didn't find the difficulty settings for this game. If he said it was too easy he obviously never tried it on Very Hard. You sometimes have to face 3 super mutant brutes at once while you die in 2-3 seconds. And any mob you face out in the wild probably will rip you apart before you have time to find your oddly placed V.A.T.S button (V on PC).

After finishing it for the 3rd time (Good, Neutral and Evil, along with all the blowingyupness/stabbyness that they entailed), I kinda agree with the Y-man.

And with my sentiments on the story, i found most of it to be alright (even though it isn't that well paced with the leveling up in the game world) but....whoever decided upon that ending deserves to be baked into a giant taco and shot into the sun.

Couldn't you have just jammed the airlocks open with large bits of junk, then poked the buttons with a broomstick? Forcing the player/Lyons in there while there's a perfectly good SuperMutie standing next to you (who comes up with one of the lamest constricting excuses I've ever seen in a game) is just mind-bogglingly bleh. Then bam, game over. *sigh*

Looking forward to the GECK editor though, I can see some modders changing the whole game (just like Oblivion) for the better with that, especially as they've done some rather impressive things without it already.

VMerken:

Yeah, except that I'm not a member of the No Mutant Allowed forums or the "Fallout Community". It merely happens to be the case that, after playing Fallout 1 & 2 and "ObliGun", I cannot see the latter title embodying anything of the titles it claims to be a sequel of. Bethesda bought a franchise and used it as a skin for their latest Elder Scrolls, not a lot more can be said.

The graphics are great on PC with some tweaking, so is Oblivion. Well done, that point. The music however, often made me wonder when I was going to reach Mordor rather than feel part of a postapocalyptic environment. Kills the atmosphere quite a lot, so it's nice someone put out a mod which can overwrite London Philharmonic with Fallout 1&2 tracks. Still, I had hoped that Bethesda would at least have kept the music at the same level. Their house, their rules 'ey. The gameplay is less complex than Fallout's as it centers purely on skill points, nothing else. All the strategy is laid out on a single level. Maybe mods will rectify this, I don't know, but playing vanilla Gunsblivion is not really challenging.

And let's not get started about FPS/TPS perspective, twitch gaming polluting a title which once was essentially a GURPS-based RPG and all that.

By its own merit it's an okay game (but nothing groundbreaking or deep about it as far as I can see) and as PablosDog mentions, not everyone in the "Fallout Community" is glittering its hatred over it. We're all individuals, with a subjective opinion. You. Me. Even the members of the "Fallout Community".

Either way, I think there would have been less of the "verbal opposition" you observe if only Bethesda hadn't glued a "3" to that Fallout. "Fallout Gaiden" would have been much more appropriate for a title, which throws out basically all the core points of the game and replaces them with other ones.

Man, this is a while later a good while later, but anyway, as you said, differences in opinion. I thought the music was great, especially when you turn on the GNR, giving you that delicious sense of irony.

The oblivion comparison, although somewhat valid, gets silly, how would everyone had liked the dialog and character interactions? There not many ways except how games like Oblivion, mass effect, and Kotor allow you to interact with the npcs. Which essentially come down to the same way. Not to mention the game was made in the same engine, there are bound to be similarities.....

This "twitch pollution" is again, a matter of preference, but that's why there is V.A.T.S.

kimboslice:
Fallout 3 has waaaaaay too much hype.
It's not even that great.

God, , every time a game comes out, someone always, does not matter what it is always says this, and they don't even back it up.

there should be a VATS aiming system in all shooting games.

lockgar:
Man, this is a while later a good while later, but anyway, as you said, differences in opinion. I thought the music was great, especially when you turn on the GNR, giving you that delicious sense of irony.

The oblivion comparison, although somewhat valid, gets silly, how would everyone had liked the dialog and character interactions? There not many ways except how games like Oblivion, mass effect, and Kotor allow you to interact with the npcs. Which essentially come down to the same way. Not to mention the game was made in the same engine, there are bound to be similarities.....

This "twitch pollution" is again, a matter of preference, but that's why there is V.A.T.S.

I don't have a lot of spare time and generally only post one comment in Zero Punctuation.

Anyway, one radio station doesn't save you from the general Fairy Land feeling you get from the default soundtrack. To me, music's a major factor and the sound tracks of Fallout 1/2 are far more successfully in conveying a post-apocalyptic feeling than anything else. I would have expected that the devs, as the "Fallout Fans" they claim they are, would have gotten at least that one right. I mean, the musical atmosphere is a bullet point noone could possibly miss. Apparently not, as the Bethesda devs prove.

So you think the dialogue system renders my comparison "silly", because there wasn't any other way to solve it? How about using no dialogue? I'd rather let my imagination think up the voices from a good description than to hear lame, uninspired voice acting across all channels. Fallout uses almost no dialogue, but rather small snippets of well written text and dialogue to create a setting and let your mind enrich it - it is far more stimulating than the graphical exposé this game offers, or the awesome still Uncanny Valley faces you get to observe as the game freezes time and zooms into them. And then the uninspired, bland emitting of lines begins.

Which brings me to another solution: write good dialogue and hire professional, quality voice actors. There were not a lot of voiced animated heads in Fallout 1 or 2, but they sure were done a lot better than anything in Fallout 3. And that includes Liam Neeson - if you want to compare Hollywood muscle, Richard Dean Anderson (Fallout 1) and Michael Dorn (Fallout 2) did a much better job.

Or perhaps voice everything in such a cheesy way that it's funny (think Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid or Silent Hill) - however, I'm not sure it'd fit in this type of game. Still, it'd be better than whatever it is we have now.

And V.A.T.S. being there for the non-twitchers? That is NOTHING compared to the turn-based game system behind Fallout 1 and 2. For one, you don't "run out of V.A.T.S." in them. In Fallout 1 and 2, you and your enemies are on an equal footing: you move and act, they move and act. You can shoot or hit them in the groin, they can shoot or hit you in the groin. Etc. In Fallout 3, you're a super hero, above the others, the Chosen One capable of freezing time, entering Matrix Mode(tm) and inflict great damage while the enemies can barely scratch you. And this super power recharges continuously.

In other words, your character is a Mary Sue (or Marty Stu if you will). Personally, I prefer playing a realistic character and have everything on an equal setting - either way, V.A.T.S. is NOT, not even in the slightest, a fix for the Fallout 1/2 fan.

VMerken, sounds like you wanted a total retread of the first two titles and nothing but. Sorry, but Van Buren is dead and rotted and it ain't getting any fresher.

Me, I put some 140 hours into playing Fallout 3... and I don't do that with every game. It ain't perfect, but in my opinion (in rare congruence with Yahtzee's) it's damned good.

-- Steve

Toner:
After finishing it for the 3rd time (Good, Neutral and Evil, along with all the blowingyupness/stabbyness that they entailed), I kinda agree with the Y-man.

And you've had to play it three times? You just had to reload.

kamos:

Toner:

And you've had to play it three times? You just had to reload.

Noooo, not just about the ENDING (which is another major gripe of mine with this game), the whole experience of playing it changes, from start to finish.

Becoming a slaver, nabbing random people, offing someone who has been regarded as a savior of many just for a few extra caps, stealing from anyone and everyone you can find regardless of the repercussions, and slaughtering entire towns just because one of the residents looked funnily at you.

Becoming a goodytwo-shoes, helping the needy, fighting the good fight, not asking for rewards and generally wandering the wasteland as someone who would help absolutely anyone who needed it, with the best intentions possible.

Becoming a 'neutral' mercenary, wandering the wastes and taking care of number one. Only doing things if you know that you'll benefit from it somehow, and that'll be the only real thing that matters, if you get something you want. Who cares if people get claimed by slavers, or someone evil wants you to poison the whole wasteland with a virus? If it doesn't concern you and hasn't got a nice payoff, just walk away and leave some other schmuck to deal with it.

With Fallout 3 I think some people have the slight misconception that the ENDING = ALL. Sure the ending has an impact, but frankly, I don't really give a monkeys about the ending.

With Fallout 3, it isn't the ending that counts, its the journey you take to get there. With some characters I still haven't finished that journey, and probably never will.

I was actually impressed by this game. I am afraid that I am usually in a state of MMORPG grinding. So getting through in a FPSRPG was at least a small deviation from my routine. As for the review, I think its solid gold. You covered the basis that stealing is an easy way to get through the game. For extra challenge I decided to go through the whole game doing everything the good way. It was quite challenging and sometimes had to resort to selling cans just to make ends meet.
After I finished the game I thought I would try the evil side of it. OMFG, I blew up Megaton. I grew up in that little hell whole. Greatest thing ever!

No mention of Ron "Fuckmothering" Perlman doing the narration for only the beginning and end cinemas?

You went kind of easy on this one Yahtzee. I was expecting this review to rival Halo 3 in hilarity and absurdity, then again I guess Bethesda doesn't make a hideous monstrosity of an operating system and force the entire world to use it through benevolent donations of corporate oppression now do they? But really this game was a money maker for them plain and simple. Its the story of finding a nobody with lots of talent, pumping him with tons of steroids, announcing to the world how great he is, then having him throw the fight. Have you even played fallout one and two? The only part of the game the least bit interesting is the exploding the nuke in megaton and even that is optional not to mention takes away about half of the game, including any reason to go to the supermarket where you have to use your iphone to light up the shelves when you're looking for anti-biotics. or Branston pickles... pft.

Matey:
i felt very differently about the setting. it felt more like the world was nuked at most 20 years ago...
and with 200 years to build up a decent society and some civilization... im pretty sure they would be alot better off than shown in fallout 3.
anyways. i know ive put in more thought than could be considered fair... but the originals caused me to have very high standards in the setting.

Not sure how you can level too many complaints against the setting, when it is almost exactly the same setting as the previous games.

In any case, the answer is obvious: the West Coast in Fallout (80 years after the war) was in a very similar state to the Capitol Wasteland in Fallout 3, and then in Fallout 2 (170 years after the war) the West Coast had gotten organised. What was the big change? In the course of Fallout, the Mutant threat was defeated. But on the East Coast and around the Capitol Wasteland, the Mutant thread is still present, and it's made fairly clear that they were coming close to overrunning the Capitol Wasteland until the Brotherhood began trying to contain them 30 years before Fallout 3 begins. So the folks in Fallout 3 haven't yet had a chance to rebuild - they've been suffering from repeated Mutant attacks for the past 100-or-so years.

Great review as ever had to agree with the whole oblivion thing this game is great in itself but it's hardly origninal though the game that is not the review :P

thoroughly enjoyed like pretty much every zp :D

way to go yahtzee

Farcary 2 in a nut shell..

Nice graphics, but they took out some of the best parts of Crysis for some reason. You can still shoot up most things though. But every intersection and there are a lot of them, you have to fight 3 or 4 guards who are albe to damage your car enough that you ahve to either kill them first or run through then kill them, then steal their car to save yourself to inconvienence of repairing your original car. That gets repetitive quick, though I get the impression you kill them once and for all later in the game.

Otherwise, ator good, like the buddy system. They don't help you till you're dead, but it's just there to give you a second life. There's a bit to learn when you start but it's all pretty straight forward. Pills for malaria, syrettes for the damage, and if you're that bad, you have to pull the bullets out with your knife, remove the rebar from your chest, or in one animation, you suck the lead out with your teeth. The moral is getting shot up = bad

If you'd ever seen the guys that made it, you'd know that's not the case. They worked hard on keeping to the original as best they could while bringing into the modern day. I say they pulled it off too. I finished 3, then over xmas played through 1 again, and I think they nailed it. When it came to the atmosphere, which was key to the earlier games, you still got that sense of isolation for the most part, mixed with that dark cyber punk attitude.

Oh and I almost forgot to add... I have to say the best part, is the music. Fit's the scene 100%. If ya search for fallout songs, they are all over youtube at the moment.

I played Oblivion. I guess by this review I just have to imagine Oblivion with Call Of duty 4 right?

MolotoK:
Has Yahtzee ever played the originals?
I guess he didn't, because then he wouldn't compare fallout 3 to Branston Pickle.

I expected much more of a bashing for FO3 by Yahtzee.
It's probably the most disappointing game in the last decade or so and definetly the worst sequel ever made but no reviewer seems to notice....

See, there's a difference between Yatzee and You.
You: Played the original and let it afect your opinion, and therefor found the game to be shit because it wasn't like the old one, there is too many graphics ect.

Yatzee: Either didn't play, like, or let the original affect his opinion, and look at this game by itself, thereby seeing it as good.

Proving Yatzee right: (at the very least, Sometimes) Nostalgia makes you say stupid things.

what was yahtzee playing oh he was playing the console version on easy because I fought tough smart enemys who only had 10 or 20 rounds on there body people werent ramrod stif they breathed talked and did hand gestures and never looked at walls if i wanted to steal somthing there would be sombody watching i garantee and he should have explored I walked around and did side quests for a whole week

if you dont like how i type go dive under a tractor

What a game thanks for the recommendation :D

What an awful ending to this game. Certainly their are flaws throughout, but nothing as bad as the way it just ends.

I, as much as I hate to say it, think this is probably one of the worst ZP:s ever. many said that the "noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"-thing in Spore's review was just a waste of time, but I thought it was fun. The beginning of this review, however, is just skipping as many moments as possible to get the usual length of ~4 minutes complete. And Yahtzee spends a lot more time admiring this instead of bashing.

"I bought FarCry2 yonks ago but every time i sit down to play it something more interesting comes out"... Sooooooo Sonic unleashed was more interesting than FarCry2? Please correct me if severely wrong but Sonic Unleashed/unfinished was apparently so utterly putrid that you couldn't even effectively review it... I trust that you don't care what I have to say nor that I love watching this show however i do think that this particular problem needs to be rectified. Anyway off the negative, love the show, every word of it through out every single episode is true to the word maybe in one or 2 cases a little harsh and in others maybe not pressed enough but hey, you're job, you're life, you're idea. Hope to see lots more great reviews Yahtzee - Live on!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here