Zero Punctuation: Fallout 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Yea, the game was okay, blah.

I'm just happy that The Escapist finally got rid of that fucking Banjo preview bullshit. And the advert at the beginning of the fucking videos.

Holy shit where the REAL Yahtzee?!

Vromnir:
Its a Fallout game, so look at it from a Fallout point of view.

No point since this game sucks from a Fallout point of view. No, scratch that. This game is not bad. It's wrong.

EDIT: BTW if FO3 is really better than Oblivion in every way, then I have absolutely no reason to try Oblivion.

He should have stopped after the first 20 seconds. That would have been hilarious.

I loved the part where he finds a pile of money under a table, and steals the table instead of the money.

the beginning bit was really freakin sweet!!

MolotoK:
Has Yahtzee ever played the originals?
I guess he didn't, because then he wouldn't compare fallout 3 to Branston Pickle.

I expected much more of a bashing for FO3 by Yahtzee.
It's probably the most disappointing game in the last decade or so and definetly the worst sequel ever made but no reviewer seems to notice....

Possibly because it was a good game.

But i forgive you. Your a fanboy and any departure from what you knew would seem bad to you. Its like the people who thought V For Vendetta was bad because it wasnt exactly like the comic.

The fact that you seem to think playing the origionals would make him review it less favorably reveals your bias. Its an entire freakin new company! its not going to be the same!

And the game can be made harder than Ben found it by not stealing, as i learned firsthand.

One thing that struck me was when i killed a character and put on his (unique and well known) clothing and no one seemed to notice or care. If i walked into Hefners bedroom you heard a "Boom!" and i came out wearing his pajamas wouldnt you wonder?

No point since this game sucks from a Fallout point of view. No, scratch that. This game is not bad. It's wrong.

EDIT: BTW if FO3 is really better than Oblivion in every way, then I have absolutely no reason to try Oblivion.

But, it was better than some of the Fallout games, yeah? If you dont think so, then you either dont know the series or are too deluded by it to judge a games worth. For instance Fallout: BOS which was eventualy voted out of the Canon.

EDIT: Well, Oblivion is in a different genre, so if you like Fantaasy over Post-Apocolypse then yea...Oblivion. Or better yet, Fable 2.

LEFT 4 DEAD LEFT 4 DEAD next!

Left 4 Dead...yes...that would be...pretty good.

Congrats on your first post being for a worthwhile cause.

Nice review Yahtzee, although a bit shor... nevermind.

I actually had the chance to buy Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout: Tactics yesterday in a 3-in-1 pack.

Perhaps I should have bought it...

lmao, the first part really made me laugh

it sounds interesting, but im not sure its worth the money, because i get bored really easily and if its monotonous then ill probably forget it in about 2 days :P

Zeldadudes:

He compared Fable 2 to Fable 1 though... I used to play the original and i was just slightly disappointed when i noticed that Yahtzee didn't even look at its predecessors.

I think he did that because he reviewed the first Fable. I don't think he reviewed the other Fallouts, unless it was before he discovered the glory of YouTube.

BlueInkAlchemist:
First 20 seconds are worth the price of admission.

Also, if you haven't tried Branston pickle yet, what's wrong with you?

I'm not from Austrailia. So give me (and everyone else not from Austrailia) a break.

Pertaining to the review, I'm assuming that he liked it enough to give it a seal of approval.

sky14kemea:

it sounds interesting, but im not sure its worth the money, because i get bored really easily and if its monotonous then ill probably forget it in about 2 days :P

Did you like Oblivion?

Tsuki Tanaka:

sky14kemea:

Did you like Oblivion?

it was ok, but honestly i never finished it...
*looks at game*
hmm

"There's a good reason why noones ever tried mixing realtime and turn based combat..."

wtf, there are a lot of games that try to be in between realtime and turn based. None of them are real great, but people have tried. like Grandia 3.

Anyway, in general I like your reviews.

Goddamnit, once again I'm hamstrung by my worthless isp. Everything is loading except for the video. Chrome, IE and Firefox all proudly display"done" in their respective loading zones, yet all I have is a grey box.

Pretty please, escapist magazine, give us a download link? *I'd switch isps, but I can't afford the contract cancelling fees* :(

First Shot99:
LEFT 4 DEAD LEFT 4 DEAD next!

Agreed!

I think there IS a game that mixes the real time and turn based fights fairly ok.. Orphen on the PS2.... fair enough its mostly real time but the fact you cant move makes it feel a bit turn based... anywho just a comment >.<....

Hi, Yahtzee, long time watcher/first time poster.

Whats with the crack at objectivism? I'm pretty sure objectivism stresses the rights(and, therefore, the material possessions) of the individual. Wasn't Atlas Shrugged about fighting the "looters?" I'm sure that went over everyone else's head, but not mine.

I just shot a man point-blank in the face with the combat shotgun. His head exploded in slow motion; one eyeball flew one way, the other flew the other way and a chunk of jawbone with a few teeth in it landed at my feet.

-That got me laughing so hard I nearly stopped touching myself.

Loved the review. To whoever recomended Valkyrie Chronicles as a turn based action deally...yea I recommend the demo. When my friend first told me about a turn based action game based loosely on WW2 but populated by japanese 14-15 year olds I had SEVERE doubts.

After playing the demo I checked the interwebs to see if I could DL it ...sadly no. So yea, Valkyrie whatever! Not a bad game, and seemed original.

why do people keep getting banned for saying yay?

Interesting review. Not as much bile and ranting as some other recent reviews, but still a lot of fun to watch. I especially like the comment about people who know guns well enough to know which end makes the loud noise.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Magnetic2:

The_root_of_all_evil:
Argh...conflicting emotions...

No Adverts +1000 xp
Dingy Intro -10xp (cumulative)
Short, Sharp Joke Start: Gain a level
Having one of those bloody crustaceans in there : Go back to start.
*shivers*
Good review, Good nitpicks, Oblique but not intrusive references : Oh get back to the level you were on before I nuked your xp.
End quip : +10xp.

Overall, gain a level and 1000xp.

Hey root, normally I enjoy your post, but whaaat are you talking about?

I tried to play it as if it was a quest for levels. And I hate bloody lobsters :)

You gotta shoot em in the Hea.. er um, face!
+Points funny intro
-Points for failing to mention "naughty nightwear"

impulsecss:
Hi, Yahtzee, long time watcher/first time poster.

Whats with the crack at objectivism? I'm pretty sure objectivism stresses the rights(and, therefore, the material possessions) of the individual. Wasn't Atlas Shrugged about fighting the "looters?" I'm sure that went over everyone else's head, but not mine.

I found that comment bizzare too, and especially ironic since Rand's philosophy is exactly opposite of what he suggested.

Suggestion: if you are going to attempt to make a hip/witty literary reference, it may help to actually read the material. Maybe Yahtzee was confused into thinking Rand actually designed Bioshock?

That does it! I'm buying this game.

Ha, I did the same thing in both Fables being completely good and benevolent, but also stealing all the shit within arms reach.

...a rare miss on the ending...rare...miss

Fallout 3? Let's just say I don't play the game for the ending. Everything else... absolutely great.

What I want to know is why the big move to unhappy endings? I mean a month ago I did Kane and Lynch, and COD4 in one weekend, they both end badly. One you loose a guy to nuclear radiation even. And now Fallout3 is added to the unhappy ending list, though Crysis1 gets a mention for incomplete ending, even though they've already put out the sequel. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, but it's somewhat of a come down eh.

Still, Fallout 3 is an awesome game, if a little on the easy side. Still it's fun and that's what counts.

Volucer:

Doug:

Volucer:
I agree with the review, only part I didn't like was the subpar ending.

Indeed, the ending was a huge let down and didn't even make sense given who I had with me at the time...

I know. That really urked me.

Don't know about other versions, but on PC you could ask him, he just made a lame excuse.

Edit: I for one really liked the ending; not quite as good as the first two, but as soon as I saw who was making it/the change in type of game, I knew Fallout 3 would not be the same as the first 2. However, its too bad if you went through the main quest and didn't do much side ones assuming you'd be allowed...

I had the same thing, On pc too I didn't get the option to put him in there though??

Either way it's there to get you to the end game sequence. It's not like you can do anything past that. But you can get the brotherhood armour and then leave the pryde hanging while you go back out into the waste land. As urgent as they make out, they don't seem to be in any hurry to complete it by themselves. Mean while, you can have Dogmeat, Fawlkes, and the two kids from Bigtown running riot through the wasteland lol.
I will say I was disappointed that Mr Gutsy didn't like me though. lol

"Yeah, it's pretty good."

Never thought I'd hear Yahtzee say those words.

Alright, time for a few words from me.

First impression of the review: Funny as hell.

Last impression: Pretty accurate, but it's missing something.

Okay, so I've been skimming the thread and keeping in mind what Yahtzee said, and I just wanna set the record straight. I've been playing Fallout 3 since the release date (with the other games under the belt as well), so understand when I say...DAMN! Now, I haven't played Oblivion, but I still have a ton of other games that involve being a lone wanderer, killing and exploring and whatnot. This is the one I'll have the most fun in, hands down. Personally, I was worried about Yahtzee reviewing the game, but it turned out mostly alright. I would, however, like to comment on a few points.

The V.A.T.S., for openers. Okay, granted that this one seems a little like cheating, but I like that feeling. There's roughly a million bad guys out there, some of whom could tear you apart even if you're at the highest level (which I am). The character should probably have an edge based upon the skills that he (or she) has acquired that you can't do through active aiming. Rather, the CHOICE should be there, in case the tiny crosshairs aren't enough. Yes, those things ARE tiny, and that bugs me, so let's hear it for called shots with cinematic scenes of body parts flying. Actually, the crosshairs are a pain sometimes for picking up items more than my aim. My aim is realistically inaccurate at times.

I'm hearing some talk about the views, first and third respectively. It can't be helped. You need them both. First-person makes it easier to get a closer look at things and for better aiming. Third-person always keeps an eye on your surroundings, and to see if anything is coming in BEHIND YOU. I was crouched in some dingy building full of super mutants, sneaking around, when one of them happened to walk in behind me. I didn't notice on my radar, of course, and I didn't hear him. Fortunately, he missed ME and I DIDN'T...when I shot him. Each view has their place, in my opinion.

Now ummm...here's a little thing that I've run into, a bug in the system that can cause problems for your character in a tight spot. You could be moving around some place with enemies nearby and suddenly, the game will materialize them RIGHT NEXT TO YOU. Now, this is a handy thing if you just shoot them first, but it is not a happy time for people that are using stealth, sniping enemies, or running the hell away.

All in all, this is an awesome game to play. I'm actually having the hardest time looting people, but the killing is always good, the ammo is plentiful, and the violence...is FUN. Yes, there's a story and yes, it's pretty good, but I actually put it off since - unlike the first two games - there's no constraint in time. You guys understand? It's not like where you have to go find some incredibly-obscure-and-hard-to-find-item-for-your-friends-or-else-they-die. That is one thing I find enjoyable. You really CAN do whatever the hell you want.

Thanks for not calling it crap, Yahtzee. I love the show.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here