Review: Far Cry 2

Review: Far Cry 2

Far Cry 2: one step away from a soccer mom driving simulator.

Read Full Article

to many bugs! bad driving controls, no weapon customization. I can think of a million different things they could have done to make it better. But it was still okay.

Top notch world? I disagree. It was mostly roads. Take a sub-par shooter, replace the loading screens with roads, give it graphics almost as good as Crysis, and Far Cry 2 is what you get.

Thanks for that. I always like reading a review before buying, I am not that bold to free jump it

Hunde Des Krieg:
to many bugs! bad driving controls, no weapon customization. I can think of a million different things they could have done to make it better with.. But it was still okay.

I don't really care about weapon customization, as long as the weapons are decent to begin with...

needausername:

Hunde Des Krieg:
to many bugs! bad driving controls, no weapon customization. I can think of a million different things they could have done to make it better with.. But it was still okay.

I don't really care about weapon customization, as long as the weapons are decent to begin with...

That's true, but I would have appreciated it. the whole play your way thing just... got my hopes up.

I found this review made FarCry 2 sound eerily reminicent of Boiling Point: Road to Hell. I guess some lessons are never learnt :-)

I don't know what you mean when you say the enemies panic when you use the sniper rifle. When you fire your first shot, every enemy in the base knows exactly where you are, even if you're behind a bush in the highest cliff you could find, and they'll start shooting at you with uncanny precision. You end up screwing yourself by trying to snipe, because after you kill the first guy the rest of them hide behind objects, and while FC2's world is indeed beautiful, the level of detail and the movement of the plants makes it very, very hard to spot camouflaged people behind trees or crates. You end up standing still, waiting for the guys to shoot at you so you can spot where the gunfire is coming from. While this particular "feature" feels very realistic, it's also a pain in the ass, and I'm playing a FPS because I like shooting things, not because I like trying to distinguish between a green bush swaying with the wind and a green guy slowly walking and shooting at me.
This is not a good game, and it's a pity because it could have been awesome.

Dang, I was really looking forward to this game. At least I won't waste $50 now, I can find someone to borrow it from. Lack of non-essential features aren't bugs. Because you actually buy weapons in this one attachments would have been a great addition, but in the last one you were just picking up what you could find.

But more importantly, I've been sure that it was Smokey The Bear. Smokey Bear just sounds stupid. I've been lied to all these years. My whole life is in question.

It's basically a single player "MMORPG" with all its repetitive quests and .. well.. grind. It looks great, but this is yet another perfect example how shiny graphics do not make up for shitty gameplay.

The review pretty much nailed it right on the head with the "It's Africa, versus you. And sometimes your buddies which always get shot and need to be revived." Annoying guard posts, annoying jeep patrols that somehow always drive faster than your car, same routes, same objectives, over and over and over..

You want medicine? Talk to that guy, in that building! Oh what's that? He ran out of medicine. The guys that can help you are hiding on the other side of the map. They have the stuff you need. But they won't help you unless you deliver these travel papers to them. Funnily enough, it's always the same bunch of guys, handing out the same medicines and taking the same travel papers.

I'm surprised that no review has ever mentioned this though.. but the voice acting is horrible. Well, maybe not the acting, but the sequencing went horribly wrong. Example:

"This is your target. You'll have to take him out before noon. Standard payment in stones. Good luck, because you're on your own out there and everybody will shoot at you. I've also mentioned this 5 times before in other missions. Good luck."

which is spoken as..

"This your target you'll have to take him out before noon standard payment in stones good luck, because you're on your own out there and everybody will shoot at you i've also mentioned this 5 times before in other missions. Good luck."

They speak.. with no punctuation! They don't pause in between sentences. It's so annoying! Argh! Well. It was anyway. Before I ritualistically burned and removed it from my computer.

Very pretty though.

I love games where every NPC hates you with a passion for no reason. Because that idea is usually associated with not so good games, and thus, it enforces my theory that the game itself is trying to kill you with great desire so you stop playing it and go do something else more productive.

The game just isn't Far Cry. The weapon jams are far too frequent. The amount of ammo you can carry is stupidly low and the rate in which enemies spawn is ludicrous which kills it for me.

Just a quick question: is there a 2-page limit to reviews? It just felt like the review didn't delve too deep into the game. I got the mental image of a snarling dog, frothing at mouth, ready to tear apart its target a new one, yet held back by a leash.

Maybe because the game doesnt have any depth? Even in Assassins Creed i was able to get into the game, feel it. Playing Farcry 2 feels just like playing some arcade shooter. Arcade shooter with great graphics ofc ;)

Seems like Ubisoft Montreal has the tendency to create amazing environments, apply gorgeous graphics and effects and the ability to pick an interesting setting.. yet, just like Assassin's Creed, the gameplay lacks. Unless you're a MMORPG'er and you love grind/repetition.

Overall I agree with your review, mr Grayson. And like some of the other commentators, I think that it's a fatal mistake to put full throttle on the graphics department, while the gameplay guys are out for lunch.

Though the game has it's moments - accidentally starting a forest fire the size of an average national park - it's just not good enough. Quite enjoyed the weapon jam risk, although, in my experience, the time it took to remove the jam varied proportionally with how many enemies were in your immediate vicinity.

sort of a "meh" experience for me.

Mariena:
Seems like Ubisoft Montreal has the tendency to create amazing environments, apply gorgeous graphics and effects and the ability to pick an interesting setting.. yet, just like Assassin's Creed, the gameplay lacks. Unless you're a MMORPG'er and you love grind/repetition.

MMORPG'ers put up with grind/repetition for the sense of accomplishment it provides, they don't enjoy it (for the most part). You can show off the results of that to other players in the game. Plus it's a social experience as well. Far Cry 2 doesn't offer any of that.

I did I think two missions, then a bunch of side missions that I thought would give me more content but ended up just giving me weapon upgrades/money ("Drive here and shoot this guy! Okay, go back to whatever else you were doing. See you. Love, anonymous voice."). All of the side missions were painfully flavor-free, and after realizing that I had experienced basically the entire game (minus wherever the main storyline went, but I really hadn't been made to care about it anyway) at that point, I decided to just shelve it.

I like FPSes to guide me through a story. The original Far Cry did a great job of making you feel like you could go anywhere when it was really keeping you on a set path. Far Cry 2 didn't do that, and it lowered itself to the level of fetch quests in the process. What a stinker.

I thought Far Cry 2 was pretty neat. Except for when it shitted all over itself in the end and I didn't keep an extra save file.

Kringel:
Overall I agree with your review, mr Grayson. And like some of the other commentators, I think that it's a fatal mistake to put full throttle on the graphics department, while the gameplay guys are out for lunch.

Though the game has it's moments - accidentally starting a forest fire the size of an average national park - it's just not good enough. Quite enjoyed the weapon jam risk, although, in my experience, the time it took to remove the jam varied proportionally with how many enemies were in your immediate vicinity.

The environments itself has a bunch of problems.
I was intrigued by the whole forest fire thing until I noticed the fire dies off when it reaches a certain distance from the place where the initial explosion was, making a neat little circle of burnt grass, even if you're in the middle of a huge patch of dry grass.
You can use the machete to cut through certain boards, but not a bunch of others of the same width, arbitrarily. You can't jump on top of certain wagons because of invisible walls. You can drive into certain thin trees at full speed with a truck and they won't budge. There's a bunch of little limitations that made the world of FC2 a lot worse for me.

ArKaiN123:

You can use the machete to cut through certain boards, but not a bunch of others of the same width, arbitrarily. You can't jump on top of certain wagons because of invisible walls. You can drive into certain thin trees at full speed with a truck and they won't budge. There's a bunch of little limitations that made the world of FC2 a lot worse for me.

Mm... I just love those reinforced solid titanium trees, just as much as I loved the common grunts who can take 10 shots to the leg (exaggeration, but still..). Even though I can see, that you don't agree on my national park theory - and to be honest I didn't look that much in to the size of the burned field, so for my part it did what it was supposed to do, gave me the illusion of being an accidental square mile arsonist. But surely it shouldn't be an illusion, one which is easily compromised by more able gamers, who are willing to look for cracks in the graphical exterior.

again i think FC2 easily falls in to the "meh" categori - it's alright, but it doesn't really get the motor going.

is it really that difficult to make different trees, some of which are able to bend? IMO It's just like gta4, where steel will bend and break, if you strafe it with a feather. But the trees... the trees...

If there are cliffs let me climb them. Why is it in every FPS your arms are completely useless? Lots of weapons, what you say, you wanted to use them? Well screw you, all you can carry is 4 of them at one time. Enemies also never drop ammo. The quests were boring and never seem to get you any closer to the jackal. Every mission should have something interesting to it, not just the same stuff. So far every mission could come completed by, stop truck outside area, get on top of something, snipe everyone walk away, kill the NPCs you missed. Go in with big machine gun.

Review is spot on, IMO. "Pretty" coupled with unredeemably boring, repetitive gameplay.

I was playing it before Fallout 3 came out, so hadn't finished it. Now I wonder if I ever will, this article summed up my feelings about the game, and "enthusiasm" doesn't number among them.

Loved this game....I suppose I can understand why many people didn't, but for some reason it does for me what I want out of a FPS open-world game; I think it's the atmospherics and its level of immersion. If you play it more like an exploration RPG (ala Fallout 3, my favorite game of all time) in which your only friends are the nutty mercs you befriend and the guys who sell you guns, it's pretty cool; definitely don't try to play it like a conventional shooter. Also, in fair disclosure, I didn't like the first Far Cry as much as this one (though I did like it) so maybe that has something to do with my liking FC2. also, I've been playing this game in one hour bursts for like a year now once every week or two; basically, I play it until I'm satisfied with the moment and then put it down....not a game I would try to steamroll through over a weekend; I could see it getting very tiring/repetitive if played that way (but I find most games that way except maybe Fallout 3 and Mass Effect...so probably just my play style!)

I treated this as a sandbox game and played with fire alot...I'm a Pyro.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here