Zero Punctuation: Guitar Hero World Tour

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

i LOVED the Deus Ex theme at the end... as always, great review.

chaosraiden:

Spindrift:
It was a well done review, cutting Harmonix down a peg (as we all should do to a game developer at least ONCE in our lives).

But EA are their distrubutors..... Not Harmonix.

I said developer, not distributor

the Dues Ex thing was weird but funny even though i never played it

i hope it is gears of war 2 this week

i loved that game (SP didnt get time for MP or Horde)

also what time are new ones usually posted (pacific time)

Well, I have tos ay, in all honesty, that Yahtzee is agonizingly gradually losing the appeal it had on me at first. Oh sure, it was good for a while, and the Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mercenaries 2 reviews made me think he truly hadn't lost sight of the ultimate goal. But thinking about the review he made of GH3 and comparing it to this one, I have to say the first one was much better (casting aside the gay jokes, which where also excellent). He seems to be somewaht lacking the ranting on lack of innovation and gameplay in his own trademarked way which, on the whole, was most of Yahtzee's power. I'm not saying he's done for, nothing close to that, but if today's review fails to surprise me, I'll have to take some time off The Escapist.
Although the review was still good, Yahtzee will always set a new, much higher standard in videogame reviews.

Amnestic:

flaming_squirrel:
Hah, another great one, thanks yahtzee

Your singing was beautiful I might add.

Noticing several anime references in your videos, perhaps the jrpg hatred thing is all a facade?! Or perhaps not..

Mausenheimmer:
Fantastic work as always, Mr. Yahtzee.

Shiuz91:
Sweet GH:WT

Edit: Hilarious review and do the drums really not work all that well?

DJDarkViper:
i can guarantee thirst three responses have NOT seen the video
--

Sorry to hear Australia still dont have Rock Band :( Its a clearly better game overall :(

Entharion:
I don't really follow Guitar hero, but I'm sure you make something epic from it :P

[edit]As I predicted! priceless! and epic as well, thank you for your entertainment Yahtzee!

Good job on proving yourselves retarded guys. Posting before the video actually finishes? Nice job, really. Is being "First" so important to you that you'll post and then edit? My God.

can i um, ask what was wrong with that? :p Would you have rather i followed the status quo and bleat out "FIRST 8D!" liek every other ridiculous sunombitch that plagues the internet.
No i didn't see the video first before posting, but at least i edited and provided my thoughts WITHOUT spamming another fucking post, or would you rather that?

Holy crap kid settle down. Or is the internet the only place you can feel manly about nitpicking internet retardation and pinning it onto others who ARENT doing it? If so, thats cool, but keep that shit to youtube where your kind belongs.

look i don't want to make waves, but MUSIC "GAMES" ARE NOT GAMES THEY'RE SIMULATORS, just like microsoft's Flight Simulator series. Harmonx and Activision can keep making these gam-err i mean, simulators, BUT STOP CALLING THEM GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!! so next time they come out with Guitar Hero 5 or AC/DC or god knows what call it a simulator not a game!
Whoooo, i needed to get that out of my system.
Oh and don't send me ANY messages trying to defend this ball of stink puss you call a "game" because i'm just going to ignore them and you. If you don't like my bashing of GH:WT that's your problem not mine

the nerds/pissants venn diagram... classic.

Wow... i'm sorry but was this review done while Yahtzee popped out for 10 minutes, by someone with a copy of his voice and no idea of what his normal reviews consist of?

The dialogue was too slow (almost plodding, no pace to it), the jokes not half as witty as usual (ie: hilarious), and this is genuinely the first video I have ever watched thathe has made that did not elicit a single genuine LOL.

The tone is COMPLETELY different to normal, and i'm surprised more people (first page, all i've read) didn't pick up on it. Not funny at all, weird.

"Harmonix are bigger jerks than Activision"
Are you kidding?
Harmonix had nothing to do with putting the game out in different countries.
EA is the one you should be bashing here.

Eldrahan:

ZippyDSMlee:

Yes the story was ok even if it had holes but the game itself was...was....crappy....face it they tried to turn it into something that was mass consumable and failed... but cheer up bioshock managed to win everyone hearts.....except mine...gdamn rushed and unblanced average game is a insult to the SS name.....

How, exactly, was it crappy? It was incredibly faithful to the original game: lethal and non-lethal takedowns, multiple solutions to each problem, multiple possible builds for your character, character decisions impacting the plot. If you thought DX1 was crappy, then sure, you'd think the same of DX2, but I presume that's not what you think.

And what exactly about is supposed to 'mass-consumable'? It's still a game about politics and technology, as well as adding religion to the mix: it's not exactly Mario.

I'd also be interested in hearing what you think the plot holes are.

My main complaint of BS is the depth of the game play or "experience" might be a better term, from a semi polished RPG experience to a unpolished sandbox experience is not an improvement nor a faithfull transition, I did not care for the balance work on the weapons the mods of the item replacement system aka plasmids then add on the AI which only really has 2 scripts (fire/heal) that set it apart from Jericho which has some of the worst AI in the past 10 years I have seen in a FPS and these are not too new to gaming if you played any 3rdP action/adventure title....

The game dose have some nice art direction and the level layout is probably the best in a couple of years but its still boxy and screaming of modern corridoor shooter deigns.

As for the story there simply was not enough of it, SS2 was deeper and more intracut BS is cut down and simplified like the rest of the game.

I do hammer on BS unreasonably by saying its crappy but frankly the industry can do better and when I see a game going backwards on its genre or series I get my back up more so than I would if it was a one off title, BS is above average but no more than that and I am such a game nazi FO3 is not ALOT better as it was ruched to market with unbalances and bugs and the way you level up in the game happens way to fast, still even with that said and its dialog issues(like ME is has simplified dialog that creates short conversations that leave you thinking...is that it) even with that said there is a depth to the design on it that tries to not coat over the nuances with todays modern game design.

Now about the mass consumable remark I believe I forgot to put in "not", DX is not a mass consumable game and DX:IW proved it, BS is better built but not by much it really managed to hit all the right slots to come out a winner and I believe the 360 was the main reason it did so well, the Xbox for all its credit was not as huge as the 360 and the industry was still shifting into high gear on casual gaming leaving the qaulity focused enthusiasts to the waste side on both the PC and console, casual gaming is a double edge sword IMO its a less fickle wider market which translates into more profits for the industry the trouble is once you add corporate mentality of less to consumer = more profit you create a rush to fill a profit bubble which in turn drives down dev time and testing which lowers qaulity, hollywood is no stranger to these events and mindsets however it has a larger market and its more profitable titles make their money back befor they are ever released on disc.

What I am getting at is mass media waters down its media in order to gain a greater market and a larger profit in a shorter time frame thus why it has issues with making truly polished and great works, for gaming dev time is wasted on visuals and graphics part of which is understandable as 3d modeling is time consuming but they have not allowed for enough time to build a intrcut world that was easily done in 2D... but then again for me I except depth/qaulity to get better not worse even if I realize game design has not caught up with graphics and as long as graphics are the main focus of the industry simple things like standardized control mapping options and more time spent on depth/qaulity/bug work will not come to pass for the majority of the industry.

Sorry for the long rant, I be crazy =^^=

Hmmm...I liked Deus Ex 2.

I havent played rock band or guitar hero world tour but i have played guitar hero 3 so i know that whenever something on the controler dosn't respond right it is the most annoying thing ever

I am SO happy someone else finally sees that RB and GH:WT are one and the same....it's the same game with (somewhat) different songs and a different interface...

THANK YOU for making this quite clear to the thick-headed public...

Agree with the pricing annoyance, why did they sell the kits seperately!?

ohhh the horror of Christmas as an Emo Kid: http://tinyurl.com/6poz6v

That's weird... I live in Ruislip...

I've been a big fan of Guitar Hero, even up till the GH3, but then I played Rock Band on a friends' house and admittedly instruments and game look, and play, much better, however is it really worth so much money? To answer my question, yes, if you buy it and you have guaranteed regular visit by ppl who want to play it (should I say "friends"?!) and no, if not.
Note: If you're insecure enough to want to be the "rock-master" of your living room and your parents actually enjoy watching you play pretend music, then, by all means, completely disregard my above guidelines and go spend your parents' money anyway!

Spindrift:

chaosraiden:

Spindrift:
It was a well done review, cutting Harmonix down a peg (as we all should do to a game developer at least ONCE in our lives).

But why cut them down then?
If it's not their fault?

OMG I was incredibly surprised that he didn't mention Clive Winston!! He's in World Tour. I mean in the Guitar Hero 3 review he got all pissed off haha. WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO CLIVE WINSTON YOU PRICK?! And not a single mention Yahtzee must be a hard man to please.

I'v done my own, slightly more sensible review of GH:WT here:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/304012.html

Please check it out!

This review has to be one of my top ten favorites.
Ben Yahtzee Croshaw is probably the only man I ever would consider having sex. You rock!!!

Yeah, there's no mention of Neversoft in this review at all, and it's unfair that he put a developer against a distributor. Ehh, maybe he likes EA too much and wanted to use an available scapegoat

Oops, i forgot to quote...

chaosraiden:

Spindrift:

chaosraiden:

Spindrift:

If it's not their fault?

Yeah, there's no mention of Neversoft in this review at all, and it's unfair that he put a developer against a distributor. Ehh, maybe he likes EA too much and wanted to use an available scapegoat

Hah, Love the Deux Ex song at the end.

funny review but i hate music games with a passion...don't e-mail me about my comment

ExileLink:

chaosraiden:

Spindrift:

chaosraiden:

Spindrift:

If it's not their fault?

QUOTE PYRAMID!
Seriously EA are crappy distributors considering the size of their corporation. That's the major thing that Guitar Hero World Tour can hang over Rock Band like a dog being teased with a chew toy is their distributors and advertiser/Marketing department are fooking amazing.
Anyone can sell twice as much as their nearest competitor whilst the game being poor in comparison deserves a noble prize.

Amnestic:

Good job on proving yourselves retarded guys. Posting before the video actually finishes? Nice job, really. Is being "First" so important to you that you'll post and then edit? My God.

yes, and what a valuable service you have provided us, being a dick and ruining it for us, get a life man :P

I went for Guitar Hero World Tour over Rock Band. I got GH3 for my Wii with the guitar for half the normal price, so I bought World Tour on it's own. You can just as easily use the fret buttons to do the slide notes. I did originally consider Rock Band, but they charge a lot for the instruments and don't package the game with it, so you've to buy it seperately.

Great video, Yahtzee, you charismatic stallion!

trying to persuade someone to buy RB over GH is like Ford and Chevey. sooner or later some one will get shot... at least on you tube. I would like to thank the escapist community for letting me voice my opinion without getting hell from the people who don't agree with me. (And i guess youtube isn't you tube anymore. it's Warner brothers music group tube.)
But anyways. I like Them both but Rock band takes the cake for me. Better charts and easier menu's. GHWT menu's I found are kinda hard to figure out after playing rock band. But I guess its like that with any game.

That Deus Ex opening theme rendition made me laugh the hardest.

"Don't pick swimming because it's fairly useeelessss!"

I would pay Yahtzee to review Deus Ex. It's the best game of all time despite being ugly and the AI a pack of bloody morons.

MorkFromOrk:
Hmmm...I liked Deus Ex 2.

....Well, then. You are definitely the first one I've met, my good man.

deus ex at the end, legendary!!!

a bigger jerk than activision? thats impressive.

Yahyah you sing different. Nicely done though; on a side note Activison is pretty bad compared to VALVe.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here