Review: Valkyria Chronicles

Review: Valkyria Chronicles

Make a BLiTZ for your nearest retailer and buy this game.

Read Full Article

Seriously, the acronyms are adorable. Sakura Taisen's dialog trees were marked "LIPS" for "Live Interactive Picture System", and its battle system "ARMS", for "Active Real-time Machine System".

I love "adorable" acronyms. My alarm system has "Fire - Ambulance - Police" buttons (FAP for short)

Anyway, I love Valkyria Chronicles, it's like Full Spectrum Warrior went to japan, and then came back with a bunch of awesome souvenirs.

Definately one of my favorites of the year. I already wrote a review of it...

...yours is much better though, I had no idea about the CANVAS system.

SRSLY, I really want people to buy this. So for people who suspect it of having the typically shallow anime plot the Advance Wars style mentality of "Let's go slaughter the enemy, then get ICE CREAM!", I can confirm that this game hits some pretty grim notes at times. It really runs the spectrum. A really solid narrative.

I'm also mildly disappointed that the game hasn't been getting as much coverage as it deserves, at least not in the north American media. It's a symptom of this giant deluge of AAA titles, but I'm hoping I helped a little with that.

If you want to sell people on it you might mention that this game is basically grindless, no extra leveling required for the most part since smart tactics can easily get you through most missions.

Best Playstation 3 game of 2008 I already call Valkyria Chronicles. All those big brand name games can kiss my rump. Sega finally pulled off a winner in my eyes. Took them over half a decade.

I can't think of any game this year that has had a better combination of story, and unique gameplay as Valkyria Chronciles. It is just different, it isn't a Final Fantasy Clone, nor is it a standard Turn Tactical game, it isn't even a shooter, it's a balanced combination of them all. I have gotten well over 80 hours out of this game so far from two different saved games, and one of which I'm on my 3rd run through the story mode.

A question for you since this is an RPG I am assuming its got allot of hours of game play in it but how long did it take you to finish. (If you did)

Damn right! SEGA, bring on the sequel.

ElArabDeMagnifico:
I love "adorable" acronyms. My alarm system has "Fire - Ambulance - Police" buttons (FAP for short)

lawl, anyone?

very good review. I was deciding between the new Prince of Persia or this game as my next PS3 buy, and this definitely confirms my choice

It's pathetic that Yahtzee's poor excuse for a review got more attention than this review did... since this review is actually ACCURATE, fair, and focuses on gameplay, not character style issues that aren't even present in the game. I also took notice that nowhere in the article is the game pigeonholed as a "JRPG". Josh Tolentino accurately describes the game as a turn-based strategy RPG. If only all reviewers had the same integrity...

Keep fighting those strawmen, Yahtzee.

And keep putting out fair reviews, Josh Tolentino... if only the Escapist would promote THESE more than the other stuff they try to sell us on. I mean, is this really an online gaming magazine or a game-related video site with a forum? Let's get our mission statement clear here, okay?

EDIT: Also, this:

PedroSteckecilo:
If you want to sell people on it you might mention that this game is basically grindless, no extra leveling required for the most part since smart tactics can easily get you through most missions.

Sooooo true.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here