Review: Prince of Persia

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Review: Prince of Persia

The Prince is back and your list of "Must Have" games this holiday season just got a little bit longer.

Read Full Article

Can't wait! Great review.

By the way:

"It's a minor complaint, but the game's aesthetic is otherwise so pleasing that it's jarring to hear someone who could just as easily have voiced Nathan Drake or Master Chief standing in as the Prince of Persia."

It is Nathan Drake. Same voice actor.

Another excellent review, miss Arendt. You've certainly changed my mind about this game. I'm certainly going to buy it as soon as it hits the shelves.

Wait... the Prince sounds oddly familiar... Is that Nathan Drake I hear?

Anyway this was already on my list of titles to pick up and Miss Arendt's reviews have yet to turn me wrong (Fable 2, LPB).

Great review, and from the looks of it a pretty good game. This might be one prince of persia that I actually play all the way through, usually I give up halfway.

game looks great, nice review, this is now on my list and hopefully some fat guy in red gives it to me.

Hey now, I liked Two Thrones!

This does sound pretty awesome, though. :)

goestoeleven:

By the way:

"It's a minor complaint, but the game's aesthetic is otherwise so pleasing that it's jarring to hear someone who could just as easily have voiced Nathan Drake or Master Chief standing in as the Prince of Persia."

Well, that would explain why he sounds so much like him, then. And he's a great actor, make no mistake - I adored him as Nate, but Persian he is not.

Elika keeps her yap shut?

But that's what makes Alyx awesome!

it will be good for sure, looking forward!

Susan Arendt:

goestoeleven:

By the way:

Well, that would explain why he sounds so much like him, then. And he's a great actor, make no mistake - I adored him as Nate, but Persian he is not.

Not only is he Nathan Drake, but he is also Desmond and Altair, I believe.

Anyway, while I understand the annoyance at the accent, I don't think it bothers me as much as it bothers other people because of one simple thing. I usually hear the game in several languages (because of previews and such). As of right now, even though I don't speak it, I've heard a large section of the game in Korean. And believe you-me, it is done without a Persian accent. So, hearing it in English, with American accents, just makes me think "localization for an area=accents not entirely accurate."

Mstrswrd:

Susan Arendt:

goestoeleven:

By the way:

Anyway, while I understand the annoyance at the accent, I don't think it bothers me as much as it bothers other people because of one simple thing. I usually hear the game in several languages (because of previews and such). As of right now, even though I don't speak it, I've heard a large section of the game in Korean. And believe you-me, it is done without a Persian accent. So, hearing it in English, with American accents, just makes me think "localization for an area=accents not entirely accurate."

Totally see where you're coming from. It vexes me because SO many of our videogame protagonists are American, British, or Japanese that I find it a bit thrilling when we get one that isn't. For him to then sound utterly American...well, then, heck, why's he Persian in the first place?

That said, it is a very minor complaint. I think the game is simply fantastic, with accents or without. :)

Titan Quest had "accented" english audio (i.e.: the chinese people had that weird accent, as did the greece) and it was okay, but I think as a chinese I might be offended by that. The dialogue was not or featured heavy grammar mistakes, but I think some might still be offended by it, cause you're throwing around with cheap stereotypes.

I expected a bad review but I instead got a good review. I am going to have to play this game now. Good job Susan.

Is all the game's narrative and character development done through cutscenes, or do we get Sands of Time-style banter during gameplay? The Prince yelling at himself to stop talking to himself is still one of my all-time funniest gaming moments.

Thank you Susan, Ive been very worried about this game for awhile. Thanks for putting my fears to rest, I'm getting this game the first chance I get.

Mstrswrd:

Susan Arendt:

goestoeleven:

By the way:

Nolan North. He did voice Desmond, but not Alta´r. What I found so confusing was that every other character in that game had authentic Middle-Eastern accents. I explained it to myself as some Animus glitch.

To Ms. Arendt: thank you for admitting that the "save me" function is the same thing as dying. Hell, you can't die in Assassin's Creed either, you just get desynchronized, but you didn't see them making a big deal out of that.

I've got this preordered, and will be picking it up tomorrow.

nimrandir:
Is all the game's narrative and character development done through cutscenes, or do we get Sands of Time-style banter during gameplay? The Prince yelling at himself to stop talking to himself is still one of my all-time funniest gaming moments.

Most of it is delivered through cutscenes, but you can hit the L2 button to talk to Elika just about any time you like, and she'll provide a bit more insight into her past, your surroundings, and suchlike.

Damn. Yet another game I now want. Damn you!

Donnie Darko, indeed.

I have a crush on you, Susan Arendt. There, I said it.

Great review, can't wait for this game.

Donkey != Pony. Actually, instead of a new donkey, might I suggest a M.U.L.E.

stompythebeast:
I have a crush on you, Susan Arendt. There, I said it.

There's a line, and it starts at the pony.

Shellsh0cker:

Nolan North. He did voice Desmond, but not Alta´r. What I found so confusing was that every other character in that game had authentic Middle-Eastern accents. I explained it to myself as some Animus glitch.

It's not a glitch. It's actually happening in the mind of an American, using the American's body image to navigate his DNA, It's not a time machine, it's a "genetic tour". So, it makes perfect sense that the main character would not have a Middle Eastern accent.

Susan Arendt:

goestoeleven:

By the way:

Well, in the modern world, hearing an Iranian man as a videogame protagonist...some people might not take to it well....

I'm presently a bit strapped for cash, and still have my other more pressing "must buys" to get. How is the games replay value? I don't expect you to have played it twice, but does it seem like it would have a fair amount, or is it like Assassins Creed again?

The whole "clean up corrupted areas for the tree of life aspect" really reminds me of Okami for some reason. Can't quite put my finger on it though...

Let's just hope, for the sake of originality and keeping the series running smoothly that this prince doesn't turn emo.
Although not even Ubisoft are that repetitive. They'll probably just making GOTHTASTIC!!!
I've got nothing against goths, just against Ubisoft turning the character into a (Which I remind you was the case with Warrior Within, I'm not implying Goths are s.)

Logie--bear:
The whole "clean up corrupted areas for the tree of life aspect" really reminds me of Okami for some reason. Can't quite put my finger on it though...

Actually, it reminds me of Twilight Princess

hmmm Well i Suppose falling in this game is better then falling in Mirrors Edge then

I can't wait for Yahtzee to get his claws on this game and knitpick it to oblivion just because it's prince of persia.

Pigeon_Grenade:
hmmm Well i Suppose falling in this game is better then falling in Mirrors Edge then

Less frustrating, certainly, at least in my opinion. As for replay value, that depends on the kind of player you are. It's not as though the game is going to change between playings - the Prince is who he is, and there's a single correct path through levels - but going through them is such a pleasure that I certainly wouldn't mind retreading the same ground.

Jursa:
I can't wait for Yahtzee to get his claws on this game and knitpick it to oblivion just because it's prince of persia.

No, he'll nitpick it apart because it isn't the prince of persia of the previous console generation.

One thing I notice in the dialogue that REALLY stands out is how all of the characters speak with VERY modern adages and colloquialisms. A good example is the use of the term word "Girlfriend." That strikes me as distinctly modern and kind of breaks the feel of the game even more so than the American accents.

nice kinda suck about not dying tho and prince was emo i dident noticed him cutting his arm while fighting the sand monsters and he was listening to godsmack hardly emo but i guess he did bitch alot like an emo

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)