Review: Prince of Persia

Pages PREV 1 2

Azzaevil:
nice kinda suck about not dying tho and prince was emo i dident noticed him cutting his arm while fighting the sand monsters and he was listening to godsmack hardly emo but i guess he did bitch alot like an emo

He wasn't emorific in Sands of Time, thus no cutting himself while fighting sand monsters.

Also, basic punctuation is your friend. No, really, it is.

goestoeleven:
Can't wait! Great review.

By the way:

"It's a minor complaint, but the game's aesthetic is otherwise so pleasing that it's jarring to hear someone who could just as easily have voiced Nathan Drake or Master Chief standing in as the Prince of Persia."

It is Nathan Drake. Same voice actor.

That's one of the things that bug me. Why didn't they, you know, get an actual middle-eastern voice actor instead of him. He just sounds very out of place in the setting.

Susan Arendt:

Azzaevil:
nice kinda suck about not dying tho and prince was emo i dident noticed him cutting his arm while fighting the sand monsters and he was listening to godsmack hardly emo but i guess he did bitch alot like an emo

He wasn't emorific in Sands of Time, thus no cutting himself while fighting sand monsters.

well lest he dident fight like an emo or the game would of been boring watching the prince curl up and cry but , any way who u like better Lara or Prince??

Azzaevil:

Susan Arendt:

Azzaevil:

well lest he dident fight like an emo or the game would of been boring watching the prince curl up and cry but , any way who u like better Lara or Prince??

Basic Grammar is your lover.

PedroSteckecilo:
One thing I notice in the dialogue that REALLY stands out is how all of the characters speak with VERY modern adages and colloquialisms. A good example is the use of the term word "Girlfriend." That strikes me as distinctly modern and kind of breaks the feel of the game even more so than the American accents.

Would you prefer it if the whole game was done in ancient Persian?

whats you're point?

stompythebeast:

Azzaevil:

Susan Arendt:

Azzaevil:

what is you're point?

Azzaevil:
whats you're point?

stompythebeast:

Azzaevil:

Susan Arendt:

Azzaevil:

what is you're point?

There you go. She is a nice gal, treat her good.

Or, alternatively, you could treat her well.

Anyway.

Who do I like better, the Prince or Lara...hmmm...wow, that's tough, actually. I have great fondness for both characters, for completely different reasons. I think if I absolutely had to pick one, though, I'd probably go with the Prince.

Was there ever a point where the Tomb raider games where actually good, or were they always just cheap sex appeal?

I think you're getting a raw deal here, Susan. This review still isn't under the "Reviews" section on the main page.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
I think you're getting a raw deal here, Susan. This review still isn't under the "Reviews" section on the main page.

Oh, hey, thank you for pointing that out. Not intentional at all, just a simple oversight on my part. Should be fixed now.

And yes, there are several good Tomb Raider games - Tomb Raider Legend, most recently. Many of them made poor Lara into a parody of herself, though, in addition to simply being bad games.

I always liked Lara Croft in concept...

What's wrong with an english acrobatic female archeologist who wields a pair of pistols and goes on Indiana Jones inspired adventures?

If they'd make her chest size a little more realistic and not such an obvious acrobatic hinderance I'd have no issues with the character whatsoever.

Susan Arendt:

Lvl 64 Klutz:

Oh, hey, thank you for pointing that out. Not intentional at all, just a simple oversight on my part. Should be fixed now.

And yes, there are several good Tomb Raider games - Tomb Raider Legend, most recently. Many of them made poor Lara into a parody of herself, though, in addition to simply being bad games.

*Looks at copy of Tomb Raider Legend in hands*

Thats it when its good?

I take it, then, that you didn't enjoy Legend?

Tonimata:

Logie--bear:
The whole "clean up corrupted areas for the tree of life aspect" really reminds me of Okami for some reason. Can't quite put my finger on it though...

Actually, it reminds me of Twilight Princess

That's funny, Twilight Princess reminded me of Okami too. I also can't remember why... could have been the wolf running around in an odd graphicalstyle with an ANNOYING AS FUCK SIDEKICK.

But I digress...

Susan Arendt:
I take it, then, that you didn't enjoy Legend?

It was alright, I guess, I just was slightly biased against it because I got it instead of Hitman: Blood Money. It was enjoyable, but nothing that I'd call exceptional.

Oh, and Susan? You personally might like this
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/12/03/naughty-dog-uncharted-2-teaser-was-rendered-real-time/

SaintWaldo:

Shellsh0cker:

Nolan North. He did voice Desmond, but not Alta´r. What I found so confusing was that every other character in that game had authentic Middle-Eastern accents. I explained it to myself as some Animus glitch.

It's not a glitch. It's actually happening in the mind of an American, using the American's body image to navigate his DNA, It's not a time machine, it's a "genetic tour". So, it makes perfect sense that the main character would not have a Middle Eastern accent.

That's actually basically how I thought of it, but I didn't feel like typing that all out. I thought "glitch" was close enough.

Axolotl:

PedroSteckecilo:
One thing I notice in the dialogue that REALLY stands out is how all of the characters speak with VERY modern adages and colloquialisms. A good example is the use of the term word "Girlfriend." That strikes me as distinctly modern and kind of breaks the feel of the game even more so than the American accents.

Actually I might. For instance, I found Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon a much richer experience with subtitles then when I saw it dubbed.

Slycne:

Axolotl:

PedroSteckecilo:

Actually I might. For instance, I found Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon a much richer experience with subtitles then when I saw it dubbed.

Very true. Any anime fan will tell you that an Anime series can be broken when it is translated and dubbed. Of course there are amazing exceptions, like Samurai Champloo where the voice acting was exceptional. But of course, its all up to the writers in the first place. And yes, a game with authentic accented voices would make a big difference. Like the call of CoD games, if the Russians didn't have an Russian accent, it would just be a poor effort on the Devs part.

haha! you referenced Jake. are you sure its the same prince from before?

It sounds good. I understand that there was a bit of worrying over how the game would end up but, it looks like the concern was unfounded.

Slycne:

I was being sarcastic, fundamentally we run into the problem that nobody who is alive today has any idea what ancient Persian would have sounded like, so using an actor with an American accent is as accurate as any other method.

I already beat it and I am going to play it again to get all the trophies. Amazing game!

I didn't think that this game would be on my want list, but I'm very interested now. I'll have to pay a visit to the store this weekend.

Put this on my gamefly list.

That review will get it a few bumps up.

I didn't think the Prince was emo in The Two Thrones, only Warrior Within. They got the Sands of Time voice actor back for The Two Thrones. I too found the voice acting in the new one a bit jarring, but more for the contrast with the previous Prince's British accent than for contrast with an actual Persian accent.

That was one thing I did find a bit frustrating about Assassin's Creed, though; that game had voice actors with decent accents for everyone except Alta´r, which was really a shame because Alta´r has most of the dialogue.

Anyway, I agree that the new one is awesome. And staggeringly beautiful.

This game sucks ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed, while the visuals are top notch I simply can't see what everyone else is so excited about! Levels...bland, combat...sparse. The Elika character & mechanic work well enough (she's likeable & not as annoying as the Prince himself) but making my way round a large yet dull level, having 3 or 4 scraps with boring enemy's only to knock heads with a slightly less boring enemy so I can make my way round the SAME large yet dull level, collecting 'pretty shiny's'!

SOMEONE tell me it gets better than this?

I don't know i think yahtze is right about the new prince of persia because in my view this isn't as good as the previous i prefered the prince on his own and with his snooby accent but yhatzee is a cynic so he'll hate it mainly because it's not much like the old one's and whats with this being anime that it's kinda screwy

Am i the only that that would give this an avarage rating?

First of yes the graphis are amazing not my perfered style but none the less they do look very impressive.

But and this is a very big but good graphics dont equal a good game.

The Price runs and jumps about very nicely but you have very little control over what he does. There is little to no timing needed 4 anything. Pressing A,B and Y at various intervalls is just about all you need 2do for a large parts. Even if you do miss one of theses and fall to your death the game stops this and u are back on ledge again.

I understand what they are trying todo with not letting you die but this simple removes any penenaly in not making the right decision. There should be a sence of acomplement when u nail that hard jump section and reach the next checkpoint. Its it a bit like playing poker without any money sure its fun at first but there is no heartstoping moment when you bet it all as it just doesnt really matter if you win or lose.

The combat is again a let down maily due to the same reasons. The combos are nice and the cut sences that having you mash the x button are cool at first but when u have to watch the same one 3 or 4 times on the same monster they get a bit tiresome.

The game is simple way to easy. It didnt need a Ninja Gaden 2 style defucultly level but something that offeres a bit of a chalandge would have been nice.

Nice review miss. I TOTALLY agree with the Persian/American voices bit. It seriously does sound like post-college Americans from the East Coast, or something along those lines...they would've benefited with a different approach

My only disagreement here is the combat. I actually found the combat rather UNsatisfying. I kept cornering the monsters as a 'cheap kill', or letting them corner me, then switching places (but letting them HIT me ironically), and THEN kicking them off the ledge.

The bosses weren't much better. Block/parry/hit/block/parry/hit, repeat,etc.

I wish they stuck with emo-prince's battle system. I mean, wouldn't you agree that Warrior Within had the WAY superior combat engine? The one on one idea was an epic fail IMO

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here