The Escapist Show: Episode Six: Resident Evil 5

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Episode Six: Resident Evil 5

This week, a preview of Resident Evil 5's naughty African-killing ways with exclusive hands-on from TGS, Jeskid on why Zombies are better than ninjas and a preview of Zero Punctuation.

This week's musical guest:
Ian Dorsch - "The Escapist Show Theme"

Watch Video

hmmm the ZP hints are getting to obvious

No offense but black people take racism a bit too seriously. Like Yahtzee said resident evil 4 wasn't any less racist, but the moment black people are targets it becomes a racism problem. Black people are slaughtered by the dozen in Far Cry 2 but i haven't seen anyone make a scandal about that either and as mentioned in the video by the creepy guy, racism is about being shown as a lesser type of human being, which I personally am 100% against, I think it was made pretty clear when the people had red eyes and walked like cripples it was not about killing a certain ethnicity. Seriousness aside, the review was interesting and fun, too bad my PC ain't gonna get a taste of RE5 action anytime soon, or ever for that matter.

Paraphrased "And, maybe even smell it." Did it smell like awesome?
No, but in all seriousness, for someone who has never been much of a fan of the Resident Evil series, is 5 going to change my mind? Or should I ignore it?

Oh, and please, answer the first question as well.

P.S: Seriously, did it smell like awesome?

Black people are immune to in game infection.

Is it just me or does Resident Evil 5 really look like a remake of Resident Evil 4 for the next-gen consoles? I swear I almost get a feeling of deją vu each time I wach gameplay from or a trailer for RE5.

And please escapist: Less of creepy Jeskid guy and more of MovieBob, OK?

first - who is Moviebob?

and second - I liked this episode much better than the last, it seemed to tie in a lot more. And I'm not sure why people don't like to have a little fun in the Jeskid clips.. haven't you ever been random or had a slightly warped sense of humor on things? He's a little light SNL comedy, so if you were expecting CNN maybe that's why it's "creepy".

I prefered MovieBob over Jeskid, but I found both entertaining.

Endless task:
Is it just me or does Resident Evil 5 really look like a remake of Resident Evil 4 for the next-gen consoles? I swear I almost get a feeling of deją vu each time I wach gameplay from or a trailer for RE5.

That's the way I see it, but its not really going put me off getting the game because I really enjoyed RE4, its the only game I've completed 4 times in a row.

Cheshire_Cat:
first - who is Moviebob?

and second - I liked this episode much better than the last, it seemed to tie in a lot more. And I'm not sure why people don't like to have a little fun in the Jeskid clips.. haven't you ever been random or had a slightly warped sense of humor on things? He's a little light SNL comedy, so if you were expecting CNN maybe that's why it's "creepy".

I'll agree on the relevence because it is a lot easier to base an episode on just zombies rather than focus on mirror's edge and then do a review on the lastest video game movie based on the gun shooting release.

Jeskid did not really win me over because his sense of humor is not SNL nor is it Madtv. Jeskid from his Street fighter episode was just strange because all it was him talking to us about his favorite character and comparing his friend to E.Honda rather than Zangief. I knew that joke was coming a mile away so it wasn't really funny. Also him jumping around putting in chun-li voice clips in fast motion wasn't that appealing to me. It was more foolish than funny because he didn't really have a reason to say he is like Chun-li aside from "I feel like one".

Finally the poster of Chun-li, cool poster first off but then lying right next to it and pretending it is your girlfriend struck me more as pathetic and creepy. I had to stop the video there because I was afraid he would start kissing the poster or worse. I would of found it more funny if he had a day dream bubble of him asking her out and her beating the snot out of Jeskid, and him asking her "why?!" and then responding with a witty response on how that would never work out.

Granted this is just my reasons why I don't find Jeskid all that appealing. However, I am glad that he is continuing his work regardless and maybe he might improve over time. Jeskid should keep it up because even if guys like me might not find him funny, someone else will and I'll be damned if to try and stop someone else's passion just because I don't like it.

When are we going to start seeing the Honourable Mention film festival clips, as promised? (Or were these ones in the film festival and I'm just not paying attention?)

I'd just like to say... Jeskid apparently didn't know there IS a G-virus... it's the step up from the T-virus which is what created the crazy clawed Birkin's creature in Resident Evil 2

Kiroshimatsu:
I'd just like to say... Jeskid apparently didn't know there IS a G-virus... it's the step up from the T-virus which is what created the crazy clawed Birkin's creature in Resident Evil 2

And what about the A-virus?

Haha that guy at the end was hilarious. "Oh God! Its a fat zombie. Now this is where he sees the fridge" "Maybe Capcom should call their company bust-a-capcom"

Miral:
When are we going to start seeing the Honourable Mention film festival clips, as promised? (Or were these ones in the film festival and I'm just not paying attention?)

Soon and Moviebob and JesKid were not in the Escapist Film Festival.

Miral:
When are we going to start seeing the Honourable Mention film festival clips, as promised?

Next week. Stay tuned!

I was only marginally interested in Resident Evil 5 before, but now my interest is piqued. Thanks Russ :)

nilcypher:
I was only marginally interested in Resident Evil 5 before, but now my interest is piqued. Thanks Russ :)

IAWTP

ElArabDeMagnifico:

nilcypher:

IAWTP

I'm sorry, I don't speak Ewok.

I'm disheartened that none of this gave me any idea what sort of smell the game will have. We all know what the first thing Certis and Fletcher do when they get home with a new game.

I have to confess, I really don't know what this game will smell like, beyond a certain expected level of plasticene aroma.

I can tell you, however, that the Capcom booth smelled like warm electronics-grade plastic, what with the three dozen or so hot Xboxen, that the Capcom booth babes smelled faintly of lilac, and that the hotel suite where I got some good hands-on time with the game smelled like beer and coffee and cigarettes.

Russ Pitts:
I have to confess, I really don't know what this game will smell like, beyond a certain expected level of plasticene aroma.

I can tell you, however, that the Capcom booth smelled like warm electronics-grade plastic, what with the three dozen or so hot Xboxen, that the Capcom booth babes smelled faintly of lilac, and that the hotel suite where I got some good hands-on time with the game smelled like beer and coffee and cigarettes.

OK, we'll let it go, this time.

But in the next episode of the Escapist Show we are expecting a full analysis of how the game in question smells. These things are of great importance to the people here at the Escapist! :)

Endless task:

And please escapist: Less of creepy Jeskid guy and more of MovieBob, OK?

The 'zombies' seem to act and react in the same ways, although there do seem to be some new weapons they wield and there are some new types.

I'm not fond of Jeskid but he did make the most of losing argument...I mean the big two are surely ninjas and pirates, aren't they?!? (with zombies 3rd)

Deus Ex Retrospective! Woooo!

The Sorrow:

Uh... did you watch the clip? Its Mirror's Edge. I'd love to see the retrospective on Deus Ex, but that was Mirror's Edge.

Fightgarr:

The Sorrow:

Uh... did you watch the clip? Its Mirror's Edge. I'd love to see the retrospective on Deus Ex, but that was Mirror's Edge.

Well, shit, you're right.
I just thought that with the very catchy Deus Ex song last week, that's what it would be.

The hell is Moviebob?

You should put him in more, and the fact that he has a gun to my head right now has nothing to do with the matter.

And definitely put his overthinker episodes up here somewhere!

ChromeAlchemist:
The hell is Moviebob?

You should put him in more, and the fact that he has a gun to my head right now has nothing to do with the matter.

Alas there are only so many movies based on video games or technology that are JUST being released and also you must think about the episode's content. Sometimes you just can't fit it all together especially when you have so much material that you can put together. I do hope to see more of Moviebob around though.

Tenmar:

ChromeAlchemist:
The hell is Moviebob?

Alas there are only so many movies based on video games or technology that are JUST being released and also you must think about the episode's content. Sometimes you just can't fit it all together especially when you have so much material that you can put together. I do hope to see more of Moviebob around though.

okay, i agree with that, i'll settle down now :-D

But they really should check his overthinker episodes, sure it's a little low budget but the material is top bar.

Great more outakes! Liked the review, glad to see Yahtzee's doing Mirrors Edge as well. Still think MovieBob is better than the guy they have on the end now, but it was better than last weeks video.

Mstrswrd:
Paraphrased "And, maybe even smell it." Did it smell like awesome?
No, but in all seriousness, for someone who has never been much of a fan of the Resident Evil series, is 5 going to change my mind? Or should I ignore it?

Oh, and please, answer the first question as well.

P.S: Seriously, did it smell like awesome?

Well, I guess that if you liked RE4, you'll like this one. But, if you weren't a fan of RE4, I don't see you loving RE5.

My God, RE5 looks so lame. Why so serious all of a sudden?

nilcypher:

ElArabDeMagnifico:

nilcypher:

IAWTP

I'm sorry, I don't speak Ewok.

I only did that to see what you would say, but to show that I thought the same thing. I am deeply satisfied.

Also, learn Ewok FFS! (that's Ewok too)

milomalo:

Kiroshimatsu:

And what about the A-virus?

Haven't heard of an A-Virus... maybe that turns you... red... like an apple! Cause A is for Apple? Maybe you turn red and on FIRE... o_o

I actually wrote this answer in another poll, but I thought that it worked for this article as well, as it dealt with Resident Evil and the idiotic idea that the game is , somehow, racist.

I am a very huge Resident Evil fan. I love the series, I love the books, but I hate the movies (as they were the biggest pile of shit to disgrace the world of theater since Andrew Lloyd Webber made his Musical Theater debut.) I do not believe the games were racist, at all.

Think about it; the game is based around zombies. Where did the zombie genre first originate from? Voodoo practice and voodoo practitioners, whom if I'm not mistaken are African American. The fact that the game deals with a Caucasian male shooting zombified African Americans is irrelevant, about as much as Resident Evil 4 is about another Caucasian man shooting Spaniards.

Although, I still find it funny how the game developers had to change the name of the game's location. In Resident Evil 4, from what I understand, the game developers had set it in rural Spain, but the Spanish government threw a hissy fit and complaining of racism. So the game developers bowed down, and changed the location to Notspain, never mind the fact that the currency of the game is Pesetas, the friendly locals speak Spanish, and the game takes place in a rural part of Europe; most of the time the maps are hovering over Spain.

You see the same thing happen in Resident Evil 5 with Ainthaiti.

Now I also think its equally funny how people complain about Resident Evil being racist, but no one says a thing about Resident Evil being sexist. Look at it; the idiot female sidekicks they've been throwing in lately, Ashley being the most annoying example, as she did nothing but stand there and scream,"Leon Help me!" as the villagers waddled over to her with the speed of geriatric old people with hernias and gout. Never mind that Sherry in Resident Evil 2 actually fought monsters, and actually took nearly two or three times as much damage before she went into a caution mode on her health (and she was only 12!) but Ashley is 20!

I mean, Sherry is a child, and as a child she is entitled to be defenseless and, all in all, stupid. But Ashley, or Ass-ley as I love to affectionately call her, is just a useless prat, all she does is stand there and let herself get kidnapped instead of grabbing a gun and making herself in any way useful! If I had my way, I would have shot the baboon-eared twat right in the face about twenty seconds after Leon found her, and gone on my merry way back to the U.S. to tell the President how sorry I am how I didn't find her in time, as it would save me nearly four hours of listening to "LEON! HELP!" cause the brainless dingbat got herself kidnapped by a slow-moving villager or a giant bug.

But, I digress, you don't see feminists going crazy over the idea of an over-muscled hyper-macho man with a massive arsenal of weaponry mowing down female zombies do you?

I agree with the guy. It's not racism to set bio weapons in Africa and make everyone black. I would say it's racist if they set bio weapons in Africa and made everyone white, or japanese, or toss out more mexicans. That would be racist on a different level.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here