The Escapist Holiday Buyers' Guide: Net Setter

The Escapist Holiday Buyers' Guide: Net Setter

The Net Set is the new Jet Set. In short, you're busy, so you want to hit the highlights of 2008. Whether or not you'll be home for Christmas, you can game in style with these.

Did you miss the "XBox 360" out of the article title by any chance? ;-P

I'm, uh, still confused about the "Net Setter" category, and how these five games fit into it.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
I'm, uh, still confused about the "Net Setter" category, and how these five games fit into it.

Basically, you still love games, but Real World (TM) obligations mean your actual gaming time is slim and precious, so you don't want to waste time with so-so titles.

Also, there is a LOT of overlap between categories. There are certainly games on the Kid at Heart list that would qualify as a Net Set game, too.

Oh, ok, now I get it.

Surely Fallout 3 is the game you'd least want to buy if you were short on time...?

(And I might be mistaken here but I thought there was more than one next-gen console.)

harhol:
Surely Fallout 3 is the game you'd least want to buy if you were short on time...?

(And I might be mistaken here but I thought there was more than one next-gen console.)

In all respect Mirror's Edge is originally a PS3 title :)

That said, I'm still planning on buying Fallout 3 and Gears 2, though Braid I'm a bit 'meh'-ish on.

At least I like one of those. Better than I usually score.

I tried the Braid demo and found it wasn't for me; it's far from a bad game, damned good for an indie title, but for no reason I can identify it didn't draw me in.

Mirror's Edge, though, will be getting my money in January. (And Gears of War 2 this week, as soon as I can scrape together the time and energy anyway.)

-- Steve

harhol:

And there's more than one next-gen console represented on the list.

I just found it a little odd that the very definition of time-poor gaming - the Wii & the DS - aren't represented at all, while two substantially sized RPGs were considered applicable. Fallout 3 is particularly unsuitable considering it takes at least an hour for the actual game to start (probably more if you aren't familiar with the Morrowind/Oblivion stat setup). I also think three X360 exclusives on a supposed "buyer's guide" is a little excessive. No mention of LittleBigPlanet either? My guess is that the writer of this list owns an X360 and wanted to list his/her favourite games of 2008.

Dom Camus:
Did you miss the "XBox 360" out of the article title by any chance? ;-P

:( i dont own an xbox, only a ps3 so i only get mirrors edge for Christmas? thats sad...(and i already have fallout)

With all of the games coming out, gift givers (those with little idea what to get other than, "He likes video games") need some way to pick out the hottest and most enjoyable games.

While I agree that other games could have made this list, it's hard to argue with the fact that these games are both hugely popular and genuinely worthwhile. In their respective genres, each of these games are shining examples. In particular, I purchased Fallout 3, Fable 2, and Braid when they first came out and am happy to say I was not disappointed.

For those complaining that a couple of xbox 360 exclusive titles showed up in this list, perhaps that says less about the reviewer's bias and more about the success of the platform (not that I'm partial to it; I still swear by my PC).

Oh yes, and I agree with others that "net setter" is a confusing term. The "net" has little to do with popular console/PC titles. If this were an article about the best blogs or flash games, I could understand, but it doesn't really makes sense in this context.

I suppose "casual gamer" wouldn't have been any better though. :P

harhol:
My guess is that the writer of this list owns an X360 and wanted to list his/her favourite games of 2008.

Either that, or you simply didn't notice that LBP was on yesterday's list of games. Like I said, there is a lot of overlap between all of the lists. LBP would most certainly be appropriate on this one.

Also, you've misunderstood what we mean by short on time. These aren't games meant to be played for just a few minutes - in which case, yes, the Wii and DS would be the platforms of choice - but rather games that are great choices if you only get to play one or two games this holiday season. If you have all the time in the world, you can play 10 games and if 7 of them are ho-hum, well, no biggie, but if you only have time for one or two games, you want them to be sure things.

A very easy misinterpretation to make - we'll have to come up with a more clear name and description for next year's list.

Also, I wanted to point out that this isn't one author's list, but rather a team effort from all of the editors here at The Escapist.

Still very biased towards Xbox. And I think L4D definitely deserves a place in this list.

kukuku ^^:
Still very biased towards Xbox. And I think L4D definitely deserves a place in this list.

There were quite a few games that could easily have fit into multiple categories... :)

Susan Arendt:

harhol:
My guess is that the writer of this list owns an X360 and wanted to list his/her favourite games of 2008.

Either that, or you simply didn't notice that LBP was on yesterday's list of games. Like I said, there is a lot of overlap between all of the lists. LBP would most certainly be appropriate on this one.

And the reason why Valkyria Chronicles is not listed is because......?

Indigo_Dingo:

Susan Arendt:

harhol:

Each day's list is only five games long. Inevitably, some good choices were going to be left off - Viva Pinata got left off the Kid at Heart list, for example, but is an absolutely marvelous game that I would encourage everyone to play.

Susan Arendt:

Indigo_Dingo:

Susan Arendt:

harhol:

Each day's list is only five games long. Inevitably, some good choices were going to be left off - Viva Pinata got left off the Kid at Heart list, for example, but is an absolutely marvelous game that I would encourage everyone to play.

It just seems a bit...how shall I put this...biased to make 60% of the titles on the "absolute best games of the year" list - actually specifically labeled as such - exclusive to one platform (for now at any rate), and moreover they be the only exclusives.

The biases involved in this list, if any are involved, are not very important. Bias content can be viewed objectively. The problem is that having 3/5 games exclusive to the Xbox360 and no games available on the Wii severely limits the relevance of the article. If, as suggested, the title included "Xbox360", I (as a PS3/PC owner) would not be reading an article suggesting I buy games I could not play.

Leaving out this specification gives the article a pretense to ubiquity it cannot live up to.

Maybe Gears of War 2, Fable II, and Braid deserve to be on the list more than Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet, and Valkyria Chronicles. Having only played LittleBigPlanet I would agree that while an excellent game, if you have one chance for one best experience, the combination of (alleged) majesty and brevity in Fable II (which I am eagerly awaiting on PC) make it a better choice, and I have not even played it.

However, if you are claiming that this list adequately informs anyone but 360 owners what to buy this holiday if they have limited gaming opportunities, you are wrong. And if you cannot accept that, then at least understand the blatant journalistic inequality in giving the 360 five suggestions where others receive a maximum of two, not to mention the potential feeling of depravity or isolation that fact might instill in the reader.

As a device: This article is akin to being invited to a conversation, only to be ignored as your host holds a dialogue with someone else.

You should make the lists per-system, extend the list beyond five games, or force more PS3/PC/Wii titles for the sake of balance.

PS. I do not want to complain over the actual choices, since it is purely the Staff opinion, but to claim that a (comparatively) old XBLA title is more essential than the more universalized and more substantial holiday juggernauts appears rather close-minded, especially in accent to the rest of the list.

Guys...the games section of our Buyer's Guide is four days long. As I've mentioned before, LittleBigPlanet is on it, as are several Wii and PS3 games.

Susan Arendt:
Guys...the games section of our Buyer's Guide is four days long. As I've mentioned before, LittleBigPlanet is on it, as are several Wii and PS3 games.

But this list was still specifically called the gaming highlights of the year.

Yes, it is called the gaming highlights of the year. And to our opinion, these are they, regardless of the platform. The action of forcing a platform equality standard upon this list would introduce bias. We all have access to each gaming system, either from our personal systems or our office's 360, PC or PS3. (I think we all have Wiis...) Forcing us to not mention a favorite game over listing a game we found to be less deserving because of a platform, is bias toward another platform, and is ultimately a disservice to our readers.

We sat in a room and listed our favorite games of the year and these are what we came up with, not at all thinking about the platform on which we played - that was not relevant (except in a few possible cases with the Wii). Suggesting that we are the cause of most of the good games this year happening to be on the 360 is imbuing us with way more power over the game development and publishing establishment than we have.

That is understandable, it simply does not fit well with a Buyer's Guide format. It would have been better suited to a "Top 5 Games" article.

Guides are meant to be informative. This guide has very limited information for anyone who does not own a 360, so its designation occurred to me as something of a misnomer (hence the suggestion to call it a 360 Buying Guide). On second thought, maybe its meant to be an honest argument that everyone should own a 360, and these games are your evidence.

PS. Just to play the Devil's Advocate, one might construe that: Making your "guide" uselessly esoteric because you are all so adamant about listing only your favorite games is a bigger disservice to your non-360-owning readers.

This is the most confusing list in my opinion. It definitely needs a new title, and as has been mentioned, the games are a little biased towards 360 owners.

Perhaps this list should not have been included.

This list contains some of my personal highlights - but I wouldn't describe myself as a Net Setter at all. Perhaps "Trendy Gamer" would be a better description, as a lot of these take up lots of your time and even more time thinking about them.

If I really had only 30 minutes of free time on the 360, I would be playing Street Fighter 2 HD. I wouldn't be wrestling with that last dang star in Braid.

How the hell could you even think that recommending fable 2 would make me happy... for shame!

all were amazing!!!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here