Zero Punctuation: Mirror's Edge

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

I thought Mirror's Edge was all right, I think it would've been improved if they had ditched the stupid elevators, had given some better reasoning for why the government is evil, and had set the game in a sandbox environment.

Good review, i liked the game so whatever

Personally I thought this game was a visionary new experience. The free running format was new and some what challenging at points but all in all a great game. I played this game on PC mainly because I will never touch a pre-made "platform" in my life but that is a whole different story. I never had any problems like the escapist is describing and did buy this game after watching this review.

This is an old thread..

Hehe, obviously im too big of a idiot to read previous posts before i say this, so you've probably already heard it....but i remember on the E3 trailer park episode, you said (or mabey it was in the credits) that mirrors edge looked pretty good, where as in this review you say you thought it was going to be bad from the start...hehe, i dont really care, but i just thought i'd point that out, whiny nit picking anti-social geek that i am.

samblack09:
Hehe, obviously im too big of a idiot to read previous posts before i say this, so you've probably already heard it....but i remember on the E3 trailer park episode, you said (or mabey it was in the credits) that mirrors edge looked pretty good, where as in this review you say you thought it was going to be bad from the start...hehe, i dont really care, but i just thought i'd point that out, whiny nit picking anti-social geek that i am.

He said that in the trailer it looked like gold, but in his actual review, the gold was just the reflection off the piss

Mixed feelings on this as it was one of the games I was hoping to buy. I liked what I saw from watching a demo and it did seem pretty original. Still as you said it was an experiment and does seem like quite an original concept so although it appears to fail in many aspects I am also going to contribute to the scientific process and buy it. To be honest about the whole ledge and falling to death aspect that can happen to me in quite a few games on the first go anyway so I think I may let that one slide. Plus I guessed from the demo that that kinda thing may happen a lot.

it was ok. I think if they make a sequel it outta be touched up a little better. and they DO need to explain things better. I didn't like this game but then again i didn't dislike it either. It was about a 7 for me. Maybe next time huh?

100$????

Damn Australia sucks.

hopeneverdies:

samblack09:

He said that in the trailer it looked like gold, but in his actual review, the gold was just the reflection off the piss

He also said that he "knew from the start" that first person platforming was "a flawed concept".

Mixed message still exists.

Naminator236:
100$????

Damn Australia sucks.

Where might you be from? Currency has different worth in other countries. It'd be about the same as paying $60 in the US.

Hmmm, bad collision detection, leaps of faith, and a large breasted female protagonist. This is a bloody tomb raider rip off in first person!

Racecarlock:
Hmmm, bad collision detection, leaps of faith, and a large breasted female protagonist. This is a bloody tomb raider rip off in first person!

Actually Faith seems to be rather sensibly proportioned for someone who has to keep her balance. Its an an awesome game but it takes a little patience

cabalistics:

Racecarlock:

Actually Faith seems to be rather sensibly proportioned for someone who has to keep her balance. Its an an awesome game but it takes a little patience

@Racecarlock
big breasted????? i think you need some glasses. this is the first small breasted protagonist i have ever seen in any game.

@cabalistic
i agree. i think also that it is a great game. but it does take some time to get used to the controls.

So, this would be one of yahtzee's "I like the idea, but not the implementation" games?

Yeah, I'm way behind the times, but what the heck.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for ripping this game apart, Yahtzee, because my ex-girlfriend loves this miserable pile of control issues, and it makes me feel superior knowing that my eventual hatred of both was spot-on.

Old video is old but this is the best review of Mirror's Edge. Such a horrible game, I'm always glad Yahtzee is around to tear a game a new asshole, especially when everyone else is giving it good reviews.

uncanny474:
Yeah, I'm way behind the times, but what the heck.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for ripping this game apart, Yahtzee, because my ex-girlfriend loves this miserable pile of control issues, and it makes me feel superior knowing that my eventual hatred of both was spot-on.

That makes you feel superior? How sad.

SilentChief:
Old video is old but this is the best review of Mirror's Edge. Such a horrible game, I'm always glad Yahtzee is around to tear a game a new asshole, especially when everyone else is giving it good reviews.

Don't like it? Don't hate it. Not everyone's going to have the same opinion as you. Grow up.

excon:

SilentChief:

Don't like it? Don't hate it. Not everyone's going to have the same opinion as you. Grow up.

Yeahhhhh I never said my opinion was the universal consensus that everyone must have. However I DO hate it. I had a horrible time playing Mirror's Edge and wasted 20 dollars on it. I'm just saying I'm glad Yahtzee expressed everything I felt about the game.

Also you're calling the kettle black here. You say not everyone has the same opinion, and yet you're saying I should shut up when I express my own. Grow up? I'm not being immature, you're just being a dumb-ass.

I got frustrated with ME, but more because I'm bad at first person. Still, interesting to try.

Some good sharp lines in this review. Loved the way "land of dreams" was said.

I actually love this game minus the caps getting shot at me nonstop, and for the record i still havent finished the game on easy yet

Vanessa Gary:
I actually love this game minus the caps getting shot at me nonstop, and for the record i still havent finished the game on easy yet

lol, the game is not that hard really and i played it on medium. it just takes a little time to find the right way. once you disarm a cop, you can clear the way, then you have time to look around.

@other comment
bad controls?? i had no issues what so ever with it. it took me like 20 min to get used to the controls. after that it was really easy to run and jump through the levels :)
just play the training mission few times.

I finally bought this game the other day and played through it. Yeah, it's a bit short but I only paid 20 bucks for it so whatever. Part of the reason it was short was because I kept playing it too which is more than I can say for some games.

Incidentally I think the first person platforming worked fine. I didn't fall to my death any more than I fell to my death in any other 3rd person game. The fact that you can't see your feet is REALISTIC. The fact that you have to looked around is REALISTIC. If you're in a tight spot with bullets whipping your way then you have to scan the terrain and know where you're going next before you get there rather than have to look around when you do, just like in guess what, real life.

Only thing that annoyed me was that it seemed very hard to get by the game without killing some coppers, but since there's an achievement for doing it I guess it's possible. Playing through again on Hard, don't know how I'm going to handle those guys with the machine guns without shootin them since they move very little from their posts and in at least two instances they're blocking the door.

Also some other things that annoyed me was that in the loading screens Faith seems capable of doing moves that I can't. Which I find annoying. Though I haven't expressly tried them yet so I could be wrong.

Oh and the cutscenes were a terrible aesthetic and didn't mesh well with the game. But, that's a creative decision and didn't impact the problem tooo much.

I went back and watched this after playing through it again, and I have to say....

Most of the issues he presented I don't see at all.

I havent had any issues with collision detection, nor with the 1st person platformer problems he described.

The only BAD thing I can think of that he brought up that was really a problem is the e-insurence like cutsecnes.

PC version. Phys-X and ATi do not play nice together, resulting in terrible clipping, or whatever you care to call it. Every time there were 'Blues' in an indoor environment the game became unplayable. Fortunately, I remembered that there Phys-X/ATi issues from something else, so I didn't uninstall the game. Turning off Phys-X helped a lot, whereas tweaking resolution and graphic detail did nothing.

On PC, it is going to be difficult to bind the controls satisfactorily, and the fact that it is a port and doesn't allow you to bind some keys does not help matters (the game totally denied my usual preferences). This is definitely a game that should play better with a game controller than a mouse and keyboard - and I really can't believe that I just said that. Between clipping frustration and re-mapping the controls, I burned up about 2 hours of potential game time.

From the graphics, I was strongly reminded of Half-Life 2, except for how clean everything was. And that's a good thing, because if you're going to rip off someone...

This might be affected by playing the PC version of the game at high resolution, but here's the real problem. Yahtzee's core issue with the game is not gameplay at all, but game type. I watched the review several times, and I'm still not certain why perspective is used as a review point. He's saying that 1st person parkour is a terrible idea. That's not actually a 'problem' with the game, that is the *kind* of game that it is. You might as well say "platforming/RTS/JRPG is a terrible idea, therefore all platformers/RTSs/JRPGs are bad games." I may agree that specific games (and JRPGs!!!) are bad, but I don't see how a blanket condemnation of the game type accomplishes anything. Worse, it may cause someone to give a game a bad review, which could influence others to not play the game. [After some inner turmoil, I bought it cheap on Steam, despite Yahtzee's scathing review.]

The story is bad, I agree there. I also agree with many commenters that the hyperactive police force makes this seem like a paranoid fantasy. There are plenty of reasons to make you hot-foot it across town. The town's reactor might be melting down. You're caring a heart for transplant, or medicine for a dyin' daughter somewhere. Heck, maybe you just want to return the library book on time!

There were two things that I really didn't care for; the timed sections, and the puzzle environments that you don't yet know are puzzle environments. So the cops are going to come through the door in X seconds and start shooting at me, but I don't yet know where the heck I'm going to go. [Yes I had Runner-Vision on, but it was about as useful as Reality-Television.] Can I get through here? No? Blam! Blam! Dead. How about over there? No? Blam! Blam! Dead. Um... maybe I didn't do that quickly enough? Blam! Blam! Dead. Maybe I'm just dense, and can't see the "proper" way to get through certain puzzle sections.

ME introduces new kinds of jumping puzzles, which is great. I've seen some comparisons to AssCreed, but I hesitate to make that comparison. Its much more to the point to say that I thought this was much better than the Turok-style jumping puzzles, which I think are total time-wasters. I also like the 'hint' function, which is thoughtful and innovative. Unfortunately, the only thing that I can think to compare it to, is the awful hints in Bioshock that you cannot even turn off. ME tries to point you in the right direction without being obvious about it - which I thought wasn't quite enough sometimes. I gotta go up huh? Well stop the FRIGGIN' presses!

I don't agree that seeing your feet is necessary. If you have RV on, and you see a ramp/wall, then you're probably going to run to the edge of the ramp/wall and then leap/wall-run as far as you can. Though the wall-running takes more practice, and can seem a bit unfair if you can't tell how high/far you have to get on the wall.

Personally, I may not finish the game. Yes, I'm stuck at a puzzle section that isn't quite obvious enough for my giant intellect. Maybe I need to run the tutorial again. I was changing my controls on the fly during the tutorial, and trying to fix the Phys-X clipping in first two hours or so in the game. During that time I wasn't properly developing the acrobatic skills which the game expects me to have at this point. So I can see how similar issues would cause frustration in other players.

At the end of the day, even if you hated it, ME provides impressive vistas and gameplay mechanics that allow you the occasional sensation of "Hey, I actually pulled that off. That was pretty cool." That works in ME's favor. Maybe the game could be longer, but I really haven't reached a point that feels like 'padding' - which I would also think is in its favor.

If you're willing to take a crack at it, I'm going to recommend that you pick it up during a Steam sale. I'm not enthralled with the game, but despite some frustration, I'm interested enough that I want to get better at disarming the police. For me personally, that works as a hook, and another point for ME.

Edit: Also there are hidden 'packages' throughout the city. Maybe I've missed something, but it would have improved the game if those packages had practical in-game value. For example, the third package contains a weapon holster, or ammunition, or athlete's foot creme.

I finally got around to playing this...

This game gets an A+ for effort, but a D for execution. The idea for a parkour simulator is really unique, and I loved the art direction. But the controls are horrible and the level design is downright sadistic. Still, I would love to see a more polished sequel that actually makes this idea work.

For what it's worth, this is the only ZP review I disagree with, out of 150 watched so far. Two playthroughs behind me, starting a third one now. Obviously Yahtzee had just broke up with his mom or something.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here