Zero Punctuation: Mirror's Edge

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Nice one Yathzee, I hope you do the game beijing 2008 next time. I haven't seen you review many sports games, and from what I've heard it's a trainwreck :)

Friendly_Neighborhood_Misanthrope:
It's annoying how many people, despite Yahtzee even having said multiple times in his freaking videos that conformity is bad, will instantly decide they don't want this game because Yahtzee didn't like it. I can understand being more hesitant about a game when it has a bad review, or about not thinking it will be good and getting some confirmation, but at least read another review or something before you blindly accept Yahtzee's disapproval as the word of God or something. I mean you gotta take into account differing tastes, that Yahtzee is a CRITIC, and it's his job to nitpick games to hell, and the fact that he seems fairly elitist in his gaming choices. I mean, to be perfectly fair he seems to dislike a number of games that got good reviews and that people still like, and while this makes him a good critic in a number of ways, and makes his videos very funny, it just seems like people should take some other opinions at least before instantly deciding anything Yahtzee didn't like must suck, PERIOD.

True. I've seen a lot of posts in this thread saying "hmm, I was on the fence about this game, now I definitely won't buy it." Guys, since when did Yahtzee actually like a game? That line of thinking could cost you some of the most fun you'll have with a game this year.

I absolutely love Mirror's Edge, it's one of the most interesting, refreshing and exhilarating games I have ever played. Sure, it's got a few issues here and there, but in no way do they spoil the overall experience.

It's especially pathetic when his problems are so trite that you have people talking about what he says with sko baby talk. In each one of these comment threads you hear people talking about the game being revealed as a "fan game" whatever the fuck that means, and in this specific one I heard people calling Mirror's Edge a "trial and error game". That's just meaningless claptrap. What's next, dismissing games for being a "graphics game"?

He has lots of complaints that fall flat on the game, like first person jumping not working because you can only see your feet when you look down. People have been jumping rockets in Quake for years, many early FPS games (Shadow Warrior specifically) had super difficult jumps, Halflife 1 made FPS jumping into a fucking art. It's really difficult to tell if he's dumb, ignorant, or just doesn't give a shit when he says these things.

The guy is just trying to fill out his time, I mean Christ look at his review of Ninja Gaiden 2 a game that controls like crap and punishes the player constantly. Magically he dismisses these problems as being appealing since it is akin to classic gaming's harshness, but then he hits a game which isn't based off an ancient IP and it's just a whole different opinion.

I mean I don't really see how anyone can listen anyone tangentially involved with NGJ because it's far more about making your opinions interesting than explaining why you're interested or not in a game.

This is the only ZP that refuses to play for me. The box stays black after I click it and the timer never changes from "0:00". I see an error on the page that specifies a missing ')' on line 115, char 226 or something. Could that be keeping the movie from playing?

Sayvara:

You assume I hate all games published by EA. I don't. In fact a few of my all time favorites come from EA (The Jane's Simulator series, with Longbow, Longbow 2, F-15 and F/A-18).

So... 3 times counter-counterpointed. What else do you have?

/S

Ah. You say "Just because some EA games are made by some moneygrabbing facist developers that doesn't mean DICE's games are too", I said "DICE belongs to EA, so it is an EA game" - WITHOUT any connotation what that does say about the game. So either we were talking about different things to begin with in which case we can agree or it's some kind of cop out.

Either way, time to bury this discussion, enough time wasted already.

yes, seriously, why the fuck do we NEED lens flare? I mean, yeah at first it was a cute add on, a "look what realism we can incorporate with 2 minutes of programming" detail in the finish product of a racing game, but now it is just downright pretentious and annoying.

Great Review Yahtzee keep up the good work.

Adam Sessler takes up the problem reviewers have when reviewing difficult games
http://www.g4tv.com/thepile/videos/35298/Sesslers_Soapbox_Innovation_Vs_Numeration.html

"Sweet flare!"

as is describe3d in penny arcade's PS hero, People really like adding flares to their stuff, it's not just video games, and as a designer let me tell you it is hard to try and let it go. Even though the general consensus is you should.

Maybe someone's just hoping to be the first to use massive flaring correctly and go down in visual design history.

Worm4Life:

This just might have more to due with infrastructure than Aussies being such better fans than the rest of the world and willing to pay a 60% Aussie tax.

I don't really see how a guy who presumably makes his living with finalcut pro and reviewing these games has a right to bitch about prices, get a full time job you fucking hippy.

Also it seems kind of stupid if you have these horrible markups and horrible distribution that you just don't get a US 360, and buy your damn games on ebay.

From the videos, I've gathered he imports when he can or has to (BRAWL being delayed until the end of eternity, banned games), but wants to support the local shop as well.

I stand corrected on video games not being big in Australia- so, then, why the secondary treatment? Mark-ups to exploit fan loyalty are one thing, but why the delays? Does the industry just have a blind spot?

Firstly, the Government is "evil" because they killed innocent people in the riots for objecting to the economic changes that are going on which,by the way, is explained in the very first cutscene. Half the city police force is after you because you were seen fleeing the scene of a murder of a mayorial candidate. And the combat isn't nearly as hard as Yahtzee makes it seem. As for the bloom that supposedly blinds you, i could see just fine without adjusting any image settings on the game.

Does anyone else think that Yahtzee is similar to Edgar Alan Poe? Think about it.
He is a clever writer,a vicious critic,and he has achieved fame in some sort of place for his works but does not became rich from it. Obviously there are differences between the two but still...Its rather interesting.
Clever review by the way. I especially like the part about the shoe-eater.

I enjoyed the review as always, but I still enjoyed the game. It's original and while the platforming still has the issues it always does when done from a 1st-person perspective, it's not THAT frustrating.

And that new map pack they're coming out with in January looks amazing. I'm definitely looking forward to that.

I realise that the advertising crap that litters this website is there becuase people pay for it to be there, but does it have to be on the end of EVERY video EVERY week always loading that extra 2 minutes of CRAP that nobody ever watches? mayhaps if it wasn't something as absolutely shit as EVE online it wouldn't bug me quite as much.

theres my rant over, Yahtzee, i love your work, you are indeed, in your own words, a "herculean exemplar"

This game is a disappointment only because of how good it really could be. Really if they made the story more interesting, made it third person, and fixed the collision detection, the game would've been above average.

I mean really, what the hell were they thinking? You have one of the dullest cityscapes ever created, and you're controlling a hot asian chic pulling parkour tricks everywhere, emitting those grunts that make most men feel dirty. And yet I can't fucking see her. I can't even see her in the reflection of glass.

Glad a friend got this instead of me, so I could see how uninspiring it is. A shame, really.

Yahtzee, I'm surprised you didn't like this game. I find it to be highly original. I usually prefer third person platformers for many of the reasons you state, however; Mirror's Edge does not have these flaws. The control is fluid, accurate, and it seems to accurately conform to what I'm trying to do. The combat is not clunky as you might imply, surely the gun combat isn't as refined as something like Call of Duty, but that's like complaining that the snowboarding stage in Final Fantasy VII is not as refined as something like SSX. Mirror's Edge is not an FPS - It's an evasion game. You are encouraged not to use weapons by virtue that all the guns have very limited ammo. Combat is fairly infrequent too. At least you can actually fight people and it doesn't turn into a series of QTEs!

Most of all, this is a notable game because it's one of the few FPS games where you have an actual presence. There's so much polish in this aspect alone. I've noticed nice details like when you run up to a wall your hands fall flat against it. When you somersault, your whole POV moves with you. When you are climbing something, your head only can turn around as much as you could in the real world. Also, it's nice to see your limbs. I also like how your eyes change focus when switching from close to distant objects, just like real life.

The game also has an incredible art style. The gleaming white of the city captures the sense of oppression you feel in this world. You are navigating a clean, sterile environment with total order.

Yahtzee, I know most of your comedy stems from you being overly negative about every single game, but this is one of the times where you just miss the boat so badly. I'm so upset that the critical reception of this game is as low as it is. You are pretty much asking EA to never try an experiment like this again, and go back to making Need for Speed 851 and Madden 954.

NewClassic:

*Lots of text*

Otherwise ranty, but good post. I applaud you. A little SC4 fanboy-y, though.

Thanks. But I'm not really much of an SC4 fanboy, sorry if it came off that way. The game was pretty crap honestly, not nearly enough progression unlike SC2->SC3. I was merely saying that, to someone not familiar with the inner mechanics of fighting games (which is perfectly fine, not being elitist or anything) it would make sense, after fighting the CPU, to accuse throws of being overpowered.

Long story short, you like platform jumping and parkour, play Assassin's Creed.

You like jumping and falling in a fugly white city as an asian chick you can't even see - play Mirror's Edge. Or rent it, if possible.

I wonder when Yahtzee will finally review Warhammer. Maybe after 1.1? Seems like they are going to fix a lot of issues.

Oh, and the "Pubic Enemy Number One" made me laugh irl.

I rented the game the day before it came out, [hurray for broken street dates] was completely frustrated about 1/3 into the game, gave up for the night 2/3 into it, and forced myself to finish the last 1/3 of it the day after.

I too was drawn in by the original concept and the art style, only to be disappointed by both the length, and the thickly applied "combat" veneer. However, the new DLC video EA has released made me cream my pants since it looks like almost the exact game I was hoping for, aka NO COMBAT.

Trailer: http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/play/41723/Xbox-360/Mirrors-Edge/Trailer/Time-Trial-DLC-Trailer/Flash-Video

The only drawback is that EA is going to dick yet more money out of me to get it. :/

Worm4Life:
It's especially pathetic when his problems are so trite that you have people talking about what he says with sko baby talk. In each one of these comment threads you hear people talking about the game being revealed as a "fan game" whatever the fuck that means, and in this specific one I heard people calling Mirror's Edge a "trial and error game". That's just meaningless claptrap. What's next, dismissing games for being a "graphics game"?

It can be a valid argument, but not in application to Mirror's Edge.

I Want To Be The Guy is a trial-and-error game, Mirror's Edge isn't quite.

Sammitch:
I rented the game the day before it came out, [hurray for broken street dates] was completely frustrated about 1/3 into the game, gave up for the night 2/3 into it, and forced myself to finish the last 1/3 of it the day after.

I too was drawn in by the original concept and the art style, only to be disappointed by both the length, and the thickly applied "combat" veneer. However, the new DLC video EA has released made me cream my pants since it looks like almost the exact game I was hoping for, aka NO COMBAT.

Trailer: http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/play/41723/Xbox-360/Mirrors-Edge/Trailer/Time-Trial-DLC-Trailer/Flash-Video

The only drawback is that EA is going to dick yet more money out of me to get it. :/

You know you can play through the whole game without really fighting, right? It's hard as hell, but it can be done.

Very Late in watching this, and signing up to escapist. Just want to say I really like your reviews. And you hit the nail on the head here.

Evan Waters:

Worm4Life:

This just might have more to due with infrastructure than Aussies being such better fans than the rest of the world and willing to pay a 60% Aussie tax.

I don't really see how a guy who presumably makes his living with finalcut pro and reviewing these games has a right to bitch about prices, get a full time job you fucking hippy.

Also it seems kind of stupid if you have these horrible markups and horrible distribution that you just don't get a US 360, and buy your damn games on ebay.

From the videos, I've gathered he imports when he can or has to (BRAWL being delayed until the end of eternity, banned games), but wants to support the local shop as well.

I stand corrected on video games not being big in Australia- so, then, why the secondary treatment? Mark-ups to exploit fan loyalty are one thing, but why the delays? Does the industry just have a blind spot?

I could be wrong, but isn't $60 (USD) ~$95 (AUSD) ... oh my god you're getting charged an extra $5 for titles to be imported!! Call the freaking papers this is the biggest scandal EVER!

Sorry mate, but I live in the UK; we're charged 50 (GBP) per title, which is ~$75 (USD) and only a year ago it used to be closer to ~$90 (USD), if anyone has a right to claim their being ripped off I think it's the British.

Especially given most of the time we have to wait 3-6months for titles damn well developed here. Does that happen with Australian developed titles? No it bloody doesn't
Sure you might have to wait an extra few months, for no apparent reason but guess what that's because your review board is retarded... We have to wait for it to be translated in to English, German, Spanish, French, etc. etc. and you know what's more irritating about that is 90% of the titles we actually have published here ONLY contain English. So claiming it's the language barrier doesn't even make sense anymore.

So what do they actually need to do? Oh yeah change it to PAL format... OMG back in the day that was crazy changing from NTSC 60Hz to PAL-I 50Hz, but ya know what we all sodding use PAL-60 or HDMI now; both are sodding internation given PAL-60 is identical to NTSC (cept it has a better colour bandwidth).

You want to bitch about feeling like a third class gaming citizen do so and all, but maybe you should do it in a room full of over-priviledged yanks. Cause believe me the UK gets shafted on every front when it comes to games... which ya know seems a bit rich given let's look back and see just where the most influencial hardware and software developers came from... HMM I wonder!

Could even say that Per-Earning-Potencial in to this whole equasion, but seriously anyone actually want to do that? Do you guys even want to know what the adverage earning potencial in this country is right now? Trust me I'm sure if half of you knew what the situation was like in the UK maybe you'd feel a hell of alot better about what you all pay, cause we're raped in every direction ... and we damn well accept it. In-fact personally I never care until someone bitches about how much things cost in their own country.

"Oh no gas prices have risen to $3 per Gallon", well ya know what screw you we've been paying $11 per Gallon for over 5 years now.

The 'experimentation' bit has got me hooked. I've become so bored with games lately that i've been looking for something a bit different. Just finished Shadow of the colossus (freakin' awesome man), and I'm looking for sommat after 'Sanitarium'.. Awesome review as always, tellin' it like it is. I may just play it to see how novel it is.

Also: Please can we have some more T-shirts in the range? perhaps one with "This gun couldn't be more awesome if it had tits and was on fire".. Even my girlfriend laughed at that one :D

This particular game really didn't draw me in with the demo. It played out like an episode of Dark Angel with Jessica Alba as the playable character. The problem with this is that in a first person view you can't even enjoy looking at Jessica.

Furthermore, it really lack the reckless abandon that should come with a game about subverting an authoritarian regime. Jet Set Radio was essentially the same kind of game with graffiti taggers but it had a looseness that Mirror's Edge lacks.

I can't get enough of the fact Mr. Croshaw essentially called EVE the most boring pointless game he's ever played, and they still advertize like crazy on here.

Anyways...
I knew Mirror's Edge would be short, it just screamed "only a few hours" to me. I'm sad I'm wrong, though.

I can't get enough of the fact Mr. Croshaw essentially called EVE the most boring pointless game he's ever played, and they still advertize like crazy on here.

I gotta watch the EVE Online review again. Watching it with an EVE ad directly following it will be hilarious.

Long story short, you like platform jumping and parkour, play Assassin's Creed.

Are you saying ME is not free running/parkour, but AC is? What's next, that GTA is a racing game, but not Gran Turismo? Gimme a break, buddy :) .

i can't view it

Wow, I really disagree. The game has it's issues for sure and the story is amongst the top of them (I can't believe you didn't slam on the cartoon segments!). I never once found myself running off a building? I also never had problems navigating and climbing up anything in the game. I feel that's one of the few things they got right. I can't wait for a sequel, because this was something unique and I found, ultimately fun.

Fail.

I had no intention of getting this game to begin with, because, for some reason I forsaw most of the problems so mentioned within (mostly the "where the fuck is the next platform, I can't see it" problem) but to have my concerns varified is confidence boosting.

Strangely I went back to Yatzhee's old Eve Online review because a friend keeps hounding me to play the thing, and then watching the advertisement vid play right after the negative review adds a bit of ironic funny to the whole thing that only seems to deepen my laughs.

I liked the original concept of Mirror's Edge (originality and creativity so rare in video games these days). Unfortunately having to jump to your doom a gazillion times just to learn the right way to get through a level is just shitty game design. I mean, in real life, who the hell jumps blindly off a roof just to figure out if their is something to safely land on or grab on to?

Oh and the combat, why even bother? In order to take down a cop/soldier/robo-mech-of-doom you have to...Run directly into their line of fire. Oh but of course you are wearing your magic T-shirt that makes you semi impervious to bullets so it makes sense why you would charge a man straight on who is holding an Uzi at head level.

hahaha finally got round to watching this and WHY DOES EVERYTHING HE SAYS HAVE TO BE TRUE!! it hurts

Verbally murder Endwar for its surface of enjoyment but under it all a bad game which you won't play for much beyond the first day.

I can't belive that there are people here who take yahtzee's reviews seriosuly. He's a comedian and his reviews are intended to make you laugh they are nto to be taken as an actual review. He exagurates a games flaws to the extent that a game looks like complete rubbish when it may be only a miniscule flaw that has almost no effect on the gameplay. At leat wathc another review or better yet play a game for yourself before passing judgement.

For a second I thought it was a bottle of Henderson's Relish at around the four minute mark, but it turned out to be Worcester Sauce.

Still, I guess it's hard enought to get outside of Yokshire, so I suppose thinking an ex-pat is Aussie had it was a bit much to ask.

flaming_squirrel:
Thought the demo was a bit 'meh'

I also thought it was just par and its also obvios that they put alot of work into the demo so that people would buy the "full" crappy game

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here