Zero Punctuation: Sonic Unleashed

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

The last sonic game i enjoyed was sonic 3 & knuckles... seemed no point in having them as seperate games but meh....

Anyways i've bought this as an x-mas present for the niece and nephew as they thought sonic heroes was the bomb... more fool them but it keeps them happy.

It must be said yahtzee doing reviews of games that are inherently just terrible is a waste surely? I mean i know he needed a destructive review but come on, it surely isn't worth anyones time really.

I mean i'm trying to think of a good sonic game post s3&k... chaotix i think it was called was ok... but wasn't right in lots of ways. Sonic adventure wasn't for me. When the dreamcast appeared i had no want for it and i didn't want to rpg sonic. All i needed was sonic battling with robotnik for chaos ememerald and general style of level completion. I didn't need story... It was simple. Good quick fun, that always made you want more. The best part about the old games was the annoying high speed traps, cos they kept you on your toes. Now they just seem to be a slice of death with more anguish. Back in the day you didn't need all 3 lives... 1 or 2 would get through the toughest levels on a bad day, and you'd still end up with like 46 or more.

Anyways always nice to hear the words of yahtzee, now i just have to look into his tv show

Fabulous review. Classic Yahtzee. A couple of his more recent reviews have seemed sort of lackluster, but this one is one of my new favorites.

"Watashi washi bashi boshi." Lolz.

Your videos always make me lol.

I must be the only one that likes Sonic unleashed, though I've figured out what most people are hating about it, the hub worlds are annoying at times, and the challenges are something to skip all together and honestly since I beat the game I've been running back to play the day levels only. Though if you don't mind poor grades from instadeaths the night levels are a 90% copy of God of War (360/PS3 version without shame, of course without blood, epic music or insane finishing moves. Then again this is as close to right Segas gotten it in a long time and the day levels are a lot of fun. Screw it I'm ordering an AV cable for my Genesis and I'm going to enjoy a time where Sega did it right 100%. :)

His voice just gets angrier and angrier as it goes on.
One of the funniest iv seen in a while, love it when he gets a really poor game.
=]

Seems that Yahtzee predicted that another sonic game is another pundit of snot. Liked the video review.

I actually think SONIC ADVENTURE came close to getting it right. You can play through the pretty consistently fun Sonic levels, do the other ones at your leisure, and suffer through the worst to get to a really nice final boss. SONIC ADVENTURE 2 seems to be where it went off the rails a bit- overly linear levels and you HAVE to play Tails and Knuckles stages to get back to Sonic because someone thought this was a good idea (also, the rapping.)

The problem is that Sega really can't stop making Sonic games, not even for a short hiatus until they figure out how to do a game that's just Sonic and no gimmicks, because they really don't have much else. They've gone from a company that makes games and consoles, to a company that makes games, to a company that makes Sonic and a couple of other things. Sad really.

I don't feel that no new Sonic games should ever be made again, but I think that the project heads need to look at what people say, and not what the numbers say. I don't know the market well, but I am often worried that the reason Sonic Team gets away with this is because people buy things that say "Sonic" on them, regardless of content.

If that's the case, there's not a lot we can do other than boycott until a good game comes out. But if they're trying to appeal to a new audience this simple truth is enough: The people that truly love Sonic games would be the ones that played the originals. Any semblence of THAT is what sparks interest. I also personally think the story is not unwelcome, provided it doesn't screw with the core mechanic: speed. Sonic Adventure 2 I thought pulled this off well. The scenes were short, and it moved on to stages. If only every stage was like Sonic's or Shadow's stages. That's what people want. These gimicks seem to try to pull in new crowds, which is simply foolish (although that goes back to the market note...). Swords and Werewolf-wannabes are not "Sonic." Bless them for trying something new, but they need to realize that the "something new" we want isn't in a Sonic game, its in things like "Valkyria Chronicles" (another Sega, albiet I doubt Sonic Team, game) that we want new ideas. Those whose nostalgia brings them to buy these aren't looking for a "Mirror's Edge." We're looking for SONIC THE FUCKING HEDGEHOG.

No character or game aesthetic or mechanic should ever need to be re-imagined unless it failed in the first place.

That was pretty funny.

I guess whoever developed this game can't pay you enough for a thumbs up.

So which version of the game did Yahtzee play? It shows a Wii in the video but the Wii version doesn't allow changing the voices (or so someone mentioned, I haven't played it myself). As Yahtzee mentions he DID change the voices, if that's true then that means he couldn't have been playing the Wii version.

I mention this because pretty much everywhere you look, you'll notice the Wii version got better reviews and higher scores. One of the more extreme examples was GameSpot, which gave the Wii version a 7.0 and the XBox 360 version a 3.5. So it makes me wonder if Yahtzee would've preferred the Wii version, if he hadn't been playing that version.

Alexadecimal:
I picked up the 2006 Sonic game, hoping it would rekindle my love for that speed addict, how deeply wrong I was. Ever since then I have vowed never to buy a Sonic game again.

EVERYONE agrees that the 2006 game was a disaster. Even people who liked it admit that it was greatly flawed. Even some of the developers have all but admitted it sucked, the explanation for its badness is apparently that the game was rushed through production to get it out in time for Christmas. I'm not sure exactly who was at fault for that, whether it was Sammy (Sega's owner), Sega (Sonic Team's owner), or Sonic Team themselves who ordered that it be rushed, but whoever was the one who decided it, it ended up as the absolute mess it was.

MasterCheifn:
So, what do you guys think? Would it be humanly possible to breathe new life into the Sonic series?

Yeah, but some major restructuring of Sonic Team is necessary.

While everyone loves picking on the 3D Sonic games, the ones for the handheld system have generally gotten better reviews (excepting "Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis" of course). The Sonic Advance series, for example, got pretty good reviews, but they weren't made by Sonic Team (though for whatever reason Sonic Team still got credit in the opening sequence).

Lord_Seth:
So which version of the game did Yahtzee play? It shows a Wii in the video but the Wii version doesn't allow changing the voices (or so someone mentioned, I haven't played it myself). As Yahtzee mentions he DID change the voices, if that's true then that means he couldn't have been playing the Wii version.

Actually, in the Wii version, you can change languages. the thing in the 360 version that's absent from the Wii version were the hub worlds.

He should play the DS versions... they're actually decent. Probably because they're sticking to 2D.

Honestly I enjoyed the Sonic levels A LOT more than the Were-hog one's.

Jimtopia:
Honestly I enjoyed the Sonic levels A LOT more than the Were-hog one's.

About 95% of people did.

I'm going to be honest and say that I found the were-hog stages pretty fun, I thought that the Sonic levels were way better.

didn't see that coming ( that was a joke ).

It made me smile a bit when I noticed that even though the developers didn't catch on the marketing department must have realized the fact that 'Were-Hog' is probably the stupidest word I've heard all year and it is thankfully absent from all the commercials I've seen.

... Seriously, when I overheard some of my chums mid-conversation about this game I was quite intrigued by the notion of a game in which a man turns into a pig. That probably would have lent itself to better gameplay and level design, actually.

Over the Top anger....

I know the game isn't that great (Day = good, Night = bad) but Yahtzee really didn't need to slag Sonic off that badly. I am not defending the franchise but these reviews are becoming more like only Yahtzee's opinion.

There are some reviews that I agree with complitely and there are the ones that I wanna punch Yahtzee in the face for... with a big hammer.

I bet he never actually played a 3D game. Otherwise he would know that the first 3D Sonic games, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 were f*cking awesome!

I can understand that people don't like recent games that much but why they are sooooo hated even though they're not thaaaat bad is beyond me.

Hell, I was able to love all and last time I checked I wasn't any kind of deranged creature living in a cave.

Ishinken:
Hahahahaha! Yes any 3D sonic game stinks soggy balls. It's true.

That's what I mean. People saying how bad they are even though they maybe just heard about one or so.

And even if you can't stand recent games like Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic Unleashed certainly isn't a bad game. The Wii version is good and the other version is even better.

So I'll just F*CK YOU ALL!!

Ima go play Sonic Heros now and hell I will have a great time!

t(>.<)t

SecretTacoNinja:

MB202:

SecretTacoNinja:

MB202:
I happene to be a huge Sonic the Hedgehog fan, yet I agree with everything he just said.

BTW, how long until Yahtzee reviews Mother 3?

Why? Is it coming out outside Japan anytime soon?

'Cause that would be fucking awesome...

No... But the Fan Translation is finished:

http://mother3.fobby.net/

Awwww... you nearly got my hopes up there. I want it on my Gameboy so I can play it at college and not have too worry about it getting deleted...

...Which it has...

When you say "deleted", you mean by accident? I've downloaded the game onto my own computer, and it's just fine...

But, sorry to get your hopes up there, but odds are, Nintendo's never going to release Mother 3 overseas, so this is as close as we're going to get for the time being.

Flared:
I am not defending the franchise but these reviews are becoming more like only Yahtzee's opinion.

Have they ever been something else? In the end of the day a review always represent someones opinion about something. That's why reviews in different magazines differ, since everyone has a personal favourite taste and playstyle. If you don't find yourself in line with the ideas of any given reviewer you should just look for someone else's opinion to value.

And yes, you are defending the franchise ;-)

For anyone who might have thought this game would be any good, have you seen ANY good Sonic games in a very long time? Also, has any good classic game franchise not been milked to death?

The sad thing is, even though these games are terrible, people will still buy them. I was like that, once, when I would buy any game for the GameCube if it had a character I recognized on it. And just like those stupid people who made Disaster Movie, no matter how bad it is, people will still pay for it and then they will make another one.

Although I have to say I already suspected this game to suck balls, I didn't actually know it was going to suck this much. Thank you for saving me, Yahtzee! (Not that I was going to buy this flippin' game anyway...)

Also - Yahtzee & Friends has a show together? MUST! WATCH! *drool*

LOL, somebody posted a blog on Deviantart saying that they're no longer a fan on Yahtzee because of this review.

From listening to Yahtzee get so worked up on this review, I'm guessing that he used to be a big Sonic fan. And that he'd personally love to desecrate the Sonic Team offices in retaliation for repeatedly defiling what was an awesome platforming series.

ROFL hehe but not as funny as Naartok's Documentary: http://tinyurl.com/3nbvvz

Alright! Another vote for Sonic's death. It's gotta happen if enough people want it, right?

"Adventurous sex aid" = win. I think that's the funniest thing I've ever read/heard from ZP :D

god the little hyperactive bastard is at it again when i played the shit it went straight of the crapo meter when i dide the first day mission and my first night mission first of it has the fast ass bugger but its like being in hell every step you take you stub your toe and it screws you up and when i did at least 4 trial-errors to get to the finish line and i thought i did perfect the game just goes and says" i'm not feeling like it today i'll just say you sucked now fuck off" and the night missions just seem like god of war was raped by a freaking cartoon ALL THOUGH its fun to smash some enemys no and again but i just did the simple crap and played a level over and over till the grade system went sick and finally gave me a good grade and i had enough money to go POINT> IS sonics been dead for years we all know that and even if semi-tubial tards make the best one in the whole univeres and everyone gets it we will still remember the years of blue balls sonic gave us the most entertainment he'll give now is iuf you catch him chain him and directly inject red-bull into his vains so he runs at the speed of sound for a day or to and when you come to get him he is spazzing all on the ground foamming from the mouth and spewing coins he's had from who knows where

Heh, apparently, only Gollum would like Sonic Unleashed.

But anyway, I heard the Sonic Rush games were good.

WTF!? this game is a rip off of a fan made creation sonic switch. have a look at deviant art and on google! The people at the sega and who ever else is making sonic run after shit for no real reason is getting awefully un original. infact they should just hand it over from bs fighting style to a game type that would actually be fun, like i don't know in stead of making sonic chase after rings .. i don't know try to impress amy or any of the overly stupid female characters that seem to be hanging around, or if you just wanna make it intersting have him try and fight shadow or some new guy, like a guy who probably has grey fur and an extreme dislike of the color blue. i don't know but's a start.

Lightknight:
Alright! Another vote for Sonic's death. It's gotta happen if enough people want it, right?

Actually (and I hate this fact), but the world works the OPPOSITE way. As long as people buy it it will stay. Those that hate it either have to live with it as is or influence it to make it better.

Honkytonk:
There are some reviews that I agree with complitely and there are the ones that I wanna punch Yahtzee in the face for... with a big hammer.

I bet he never actually played a 3D game. Otherwise he would know that the first 3D Sonic games, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 were f*cking awesome!

He'd have a field day with that statement since S.A.2 is shown in his vid. I bet he did play it but he was too caught up with problems about an anti-sonic and the aggrivating Mech and Hunting levels to call it "fucking awesome."

I agree though, the series was awesome until anything past Heroes (and Heroes required MASSIVE tolerance on my part). Shadow the Hedgehog would have been good without the whole "gun-revamping" thing, and that was the start of "lets see what we can throw in and STILL have fans buy it."

I do agree that the hate is unwarranted. Sonic shouldn't die, he should be revived in a non-zombified horrific fashion (oh god, I think I just gave them their next idea for a game...Sonic Undead...)

I grew up on Sonic 2, 3 etc. and I agree that todays sonic games suck major balls and they're just raping the customers for money, but I really love the old sonic series, the 2d gaming is the only thing that's good from the entire sonic series made till this day.

I hope they just replace the lead development designer with someone who has a sence of humanity and give us a decent old school sonic game, similar to what they did with Megaman 9.

That would attract a huge sum of money, though the designers don't agree, and fuck us over on this, so I haven't bought any of the shitty 3d games, because they're totally horrid.

I mean, it's so simple to tell which of the games 2d and 3d that are making money, and still the asswipped designers design games nobody wants...

Sonic Team died with 2d gaming, little hope they'll be revived to their former sanity.

To honest Sonic Adventure Battle 2 was fun. I liked the game was fun with the exception of the Knuckles type missions. Yea I like the Eggman and Tails shoot em ups.

If the guys at sonic team could just make something like that it could save him. But they need to rethink the plot. Forget the fucking magic stones. Get the guys at the Sonic comics to come up with the story. They keep that comic running because they guys there know that sonic can't have sonic save the day the same way ever fucking time. He dose not need to go Super mode the second the shit hits the fan.

My 2 cents. There you have it.

I lol'd at the 'were'hawg reference. Seriously Sonic Team, just stop making games. It's embarrassing!

agiganticpanda:
He should play the DS versions... they're actually decent. Probably because they're sticking to 2D.

They're also made by different creative teams than the one that made the 3D Sonic games.

popdafoo:
The sad thing is, even though these games are terrible, people will still buy them. I was like that, once, when I would buy any game for the GameCube if it had a character I recognized on it. And just like those stupid people who made Disaster Movie, no matter how bad it is, people will still pay for it and then they will make another one.

Disaster Movie was a disaster at the box office, so I'm not sure how your statement really makes sense.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here