#escapist IRC

#escapist IRC

Forums not real-time enough for you? Have a fascination with chat protocols that predate the world wide web? Then come hang out with us in #escapist on irc.chatspike.net.

All of the ops in the channel are Escapist staff, and we're usually watching the channel during the day so feel free to say hi!

Also, there's a (currently) fairly basic bot in there (Escape) that posts site news as it goes live. So it's a nice way to get a quick update as to when your video of choice may be posted rather then refreshing the website or RSS reader.

I'm still trying to think of useful/fun ways to tie the irc channel (via the bot) to the Escapist website, including some potential badges. But that's still in the works pending suggestions and feasibility.

Edit: Nevermind.

You forgot to mention you can use Chatzilla in Firefox

*tries to find his old IRC client to set everything up*

I haven't used IRC in forever...

Kross:
All of the ops in the channel are Escapist staff, and we're usually watching the channel during the day so feel free to say hi!

Also, there's a (currently) fairly basic bot in there (Escape) that posts site news as it goes live. So it's a nice way to get a quick update as to when your video of choice may be posted rather then refreshing the website or RSS reader.

I'm still trying to think of useful/fun ways to tie the irc channel (via the bot) to the Escapist website, including some potential badges. But that's still in the works pending suggestions and feasibility.

Trivias are fun, but first we need to put more people in there.
There's plenty of people around the forums that don't even have Winrar installed let alone know how to join an IRC, despite the tutorial you guys made :).

This is really cool. I can see myself having a lot of fun on this thing.

I'm actually looking for an add-on for mirc that added tons of stuff, like skins, customizable actions (like poking another person on the chat and an auto-away system) although I'm not finding it, any help would be highly appreciated.

There's a firefox addon for IRC too called "Chatzilla", anyone used it?
Wondering if it's any good.

I'm going ahead and bumping this something fierce. The Java client is available for anyone to use very easily, but just getting mIRC is also very simple, and allows for everyone to connect to thousands of networks with millions of channels out there. I have yet to find a more pleasant channel than #escapist though, and I've been IRC'ing for six years. ^_^

Chatzilla.. works, I guess. It's a lot simpler to just get mIRC or any other simple client though. =)

Linux users! Rally for hte great app irssi!

Woe Is Me:
Linux users! Rally for hte great app irssi!

You can use irssi under Windows as well and yeah irssi is a bit weird, but awesome;

Already there.
Does this mean I get a cookie?

People still use IRC? O_O

Maur DL:

Yes indeed. It's also very popular with the ladies of the Escapist. Just so you know. And in "Ladies", I'm including Nuke Lassic.

Maur DL:

Yes, they do. Have any other suggestions?

Any good suggestions? Probably not. Though I have seen some forums use some kind of built-in chat thing which isn't much different from what is available here I suppose, though I guess it saves a step...

I don't know, once I started using messenger(s) I eventually stopped using IRC and don't really see/hear people use it except for like, warez and the like... :s

Maur DL:
Any good suggestions? Probably not. Though I have seen some forums use some kind of built-in chat thing which isn't much different from what is available here I suppose, though I guess it saves a step...

I don't know, once I started using messenger(s) I eventually stopped using IRC and don't really see/hear people use it except for like, warez and the like... :s

This is ChatSpike. Heavily monitored, and we follow the law. I'm used to QuakeNet, DALNet, EFNet, Rizon and the like, so this is quite different. IRC, my friends, will never go out of fashion. And even if it does, it will be long before anything can substitute it.

Really cool!

Nice innovation!

Sorry to bump, liking the idea and all, but why isn't the channel hosted on espernet?

For some reason IRC doesn't connect for me anyomre. I probably need to reinstall.

Is there any way to get onto the channel using the mibbit server?

Pyromaniac1337:
Sorry to bump, liking the idea and all, but why isn't the channel hosted on espernet?

For starters, Kross is a services and server admin on ChatSpike, and, furthermore, ChatSpike is extremely reliable, secure and simple thanks to the IRCd InspIRCd 1.2, Atheme services and a competent staff.

Brainstrain:
For some reason IRC doesn't connect for me anyomre. I probably need to reinstall.

I can probably help you with that, but take it to PM.

mrs.bombastic:
Is there any way to get onto the channel using the mibbit server?

You mean the Mibbit webchat? Yes, you have to input the address manually. Click "Server" and input irc.chatspike.net. Any further questions, I'm always up for it in PM.

just add this onto the other servers lol

Some more advice:

If your browser is Opera, it already has an IRC client built in. In any case, if you have any IRC program installed the following link should bring it up:

irc.chatspike.net.

Then you just have to join a channel named #escapist which works differently for each program.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
*tries to find his old IRC client to set everything up*

I haven't used IRC in forever...

The only time i ever used IRC was when i was troubleshooting with linux.. lmao

Hi folks.
Sorry to bother, but i tried googling before already.
I have some issues with getting onto the server...
I had evrything correctly configed, registered my nick, activated the registration, but i forgot to enter the PW into the config of MIRANDA yesterday immediately.
So, i logged on today, but seemed to have f****d up my pw entry, so i was "guested".

So, i logged on, again, with PW field left blank in the MIRANDA IRC options.
Now i get "IRC error. Closing link: yaddah yaddah yaddah (Registration timeout)"
So, any idea how to recover my pw and get IRC working properly again?

I use Miranda v.0.8.27

IRC, but.. omg, that's where all those evil hackers hang out. LOL!

(PS. this is completely wrong, just like lots of other tv-show reality interpretation)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here