The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2008: Russ

The Escapist Staff's Five Faves of 2008: Russ

Russ Pitts finishes off our week of Staff Faves with the five games he most enjoyed this past year. "Messing with minions' minds" came in sixth.

These would be my choices exactly! Russ my man, you have good taste! Surprised to not see LBP in some ones top 5.

Dead Space has the remarkable ability to instantly captivate all watchers. When I first picked the game up I soon found that my whole household (plus one) had gathered to watch me play. Even my girlfriend who hates horror found Dead Space enthralling. It's just an oddity.

sv93:
These would be my choices exactly! Russ my man, you have good taste! Surprised to not see LBP in some ones top 5.

Wait, I'm confused: do you mean you're surprised Russ didn't mention it, or you're surprised that no-one did?

Susan Arendt:
Wait, I'm confused: do you mean you're surprised Russ didn't mention it, or you're surprised that no-one did?

Surprised that Russ didn't mention it.

Personally I'm suprised he had Mercenaries 2 on there, but to each their own, everyone has that Critically Panned game that they love. Just look at all the threads on the subject.

Did you just have the cojones to say on a gaming website that the best game of the year was a facebook app ?!?! Russ, you're my hero...

KarmicToast:
Did you just have the cojones to say on a gaming website that the best game of the year was a facebook app ?!?! Russ, you're my hero...

Cheers.

But seriously, there isn't a single other game I've played every day since I discovered it. As far as I'm concerned, a game is a game is a game, be it a Facebook app, a AAA Xbox title or a tabletop card-based story-telling game. Or tossing a ball to my dog, but I probably wouldn't list that one on the site. You have to draw a line somewhere.

Russ Pitts:

KarmicToast:

Cheers.

But seriously, there isn't a single other game I've played every day since I discovered it. As far as I'm concerned, a game is a game is a game, be it a Facebook app, a AAA Xbox title or a tabletop card-based story-telling game. Or tossing a ball to my dog, but I probably wouldn't list that one on the site. You have to draw a line somewhere.

What is this Card Based Table Top Storytelling Game you allude to? I must know!

PedroSteckecilo:

Russ Pitts:

KarmicToast:

Cheers.

It's called Gloom, and it's awesome.

Russ Pitts:

PedroSteckecilo:

Russ Pitts:

KarmicToast:

Cheers.

We need to have another company Gloom session soon.

Russ Pitts:

PedroSteckecilo:

Russ Pitts:

KarmicToast:

Cheers.

I believe you... it sounds awesome. Now I just need to find it.

Mafia tycoon would rock unbelievably.

Russ hits on something that is crucial for RPGs - we need more unconventional settings. We've all been to the World of Ultima Middle-Earth Craft about a million times. The RPG dynamic (leveling, facing greater challenges, customizing a character to focus on the aspects of gameplay we enjoy most) is deeply, deeply satisfying. Limiting ourselves to variations on a single setting is just sad and, in the long run, self-defeating.

I've been beating up on Fallout all week (because I'm a jerk and that's what I do) but I have to hand it to Bethesda for taking the RPG bus someplace NEW this year. That it turned out to be pretty fun is a nice bonus.

Your blurb on Fallout 3 made me giggle. Kudos, and good game selection. Still haven't had any desire to play GTAIV, and I gave up on facebook when I realized I don't really want to know what my friends have been up to all the time, but the other three are definitely going to remain in my memory for a while. (Except for Fallout 3....a while doesn't cut it, I'll never forget that game.)

i like better ... pet society in the facebook :$....

Dont kill me

and yes good list Russ the only one i havent play is mercenaries 2, and what about, gears2, and metal gear solid4?

Dead Space is an awful, awful game.

The rest of the list is OK but I get the feeling The Escapist staff are competing with one another for the "Look! I'm unconventional!" award.

You, Mr. Pitts:
I have heard complaints form some folks though that guns turn them off and that any real RPG should take place in a fantasy setting, not the brutally realistic future Earth of Fallout.

Any man who say this is wrong. And you should hit that man. With a stick.

harhol:
Dead Space is an awful, awful game.

The rest of the list is OK but I get the feeling The Escapist staff are competing with one another for the "Look! I'm unconventional!" award.

Indeed, how dare they deviate from mainstream opinion!

Part of the appeal of the Escapist is that we approach gaming from unconventional angles. Is it so surprising that the staff's top five lists reflect that?

Yeah you kind of have to be unconventional to work here. It just goes with the territory. I don't get the reason why this is a bad thing, but ... OK. I will commence feeling bad about this because you say so harhol.

I tell you what I'm upset about though, it's that glaring typo in the section Copter400 quoted. Unconvetional is one thing. Unconventional and shitty at typing is a wholly other thing. Arrgh.

He's bald and acted like Sonic. How much more unconventional do you want that to be?

Russ Pitts:
Yeah you kind of have to be unconventional to work here. It just goes with the territory. I don't get the reason why this is a bad thing, but ... OK. I will commence feeling bad about this because you say so harhol.

I tell you what I'm upset about though, it's that glaring typo in the section Copter400 quoted. Unconvetional is one thing. Unconventional and shitty at typing is a wholly other thing. Arrgh.

I think it happened again.

nilcypher:

harhol:
I get the feeling The Escapist staff are competing with one another for the "Look! I'm unconventional!" award.

Indeed, how dare they deviate from mainstream opinion! Part of the appeal of the Escapist is that we approach gaming from unconventional angles. Is it so surprising that the staff's top five lists reflect that?

*audible groan*

I'm sorry, but a 'Best Of' list that includes GTAIV, Fallout 3, Dead Space and Mercenaries 2 cannot, by any stretch of the imagination, be said to "deviate from mainstream opinion" or "approach gaming from unconventional angles". Putting a Facebook game at number one is (in my opinion!) a cynical attempt to appeal to the 'indie' sensibilities of this site's users; there were dozens of actual video games released this year that could have sufficed. Embellishing a routine list with a token oddball entry does not detract from the fact that, once again, mediocrity and corporate spending power are being championed by the Escapist.

I feel like an ass for saying this but I wanted to say it anyway. It's been on my mind for a while. No offence intended to Russ or anyone else.

Except they aren't Best Of lists, they're Favorites lists, as in the games we enjoyed playing the most this year. You can see behinds the scenes chicanery if you like, but that's simply not the case.

RAKtheUndead:

Russ Pitts:

I think it happened again.

Arrgh. Next year's list will include Typing of the Dead.

I agree with pretty much everything on this list. I also loved Mercenaries, and felt GTA 4 was a winner even if it wasn't for the same reasons. Deadspace ranks high on my top 5 as well. All in all a list of fun games that pretty much anyone could enjoy. Is Russ this site's Joe Six-pack?

Given that Yahtzee actually works for The Escapist, I'm surprised I never see any love for Trilby: The Art Of Theft anywhere.
That was a tight little jellybean of old school quirk.

MomoTheCow:
Given that Yahtzee actually works for The Escapist, I'm surprised I never see any love for Trilby: The Art Of Theft anywhere.

Seconded.

I know I didn't comment on any of the others, but I really enjoyed these "top five" thingdings you guys did.

MomoTheCow:

Technically, that game was from last year. But I agree, it was a tight piece of old-school game making. But seeing as it's one of the very few games we've ever hosted at the site, I see that as a fairly significant expression of love. ;)

Russ Pitts:

MomoTheCow:

Technically, that game was from last year. But I agree, it was a tight piece of old-school game making. But seeing as it's one of the very few games we've ever hosted at the site, I see that as a fairly significant expression of love. ;)

Ah.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here