181: Shangri La

Shangri La

"After about an hour, the cold got brutal. I tried to get outside, since the sun was shining and it looked like it wasn't as bad out there. When I reached the front door, I put on my overcoat and tried to turn the knob. It had frozen shut. My hand burned from the cold when I touched it."

Darius Poyer is cold ... so very cold.

Read Full Article

that was kind of creepy...

that was fantastic. so very very odd and somewhat foreseeable but still i enjoyed it. well done ;)

i think i read somewhere that shangri la translates into paradise or somthing, but that room was far from paradise. that was a very interesting story

Good story. Not accusing the writer of anything but I seem to recall the whole "hole shaped like me" thing from some short horror manga...mystery of amigara fault or something like that.

Good read though, no real complaints.

bleachigo10:
i think i read somewhere that shangri la translates into paradise or somthing, but that room was far from paradise. that was a very interesting story

I think the title is supposed to reflect the feeling he gets when gazing under his bed and realizing where the source of the light and heat is coming from - he has found shangri la. Also, read the last line of the story.

Great story. Don't know why, but it reminded me of some of the HP Lovecraft stories I used to read. Especially how the cold never seems to go away.

I think it's the point just before his death... I mean if it's him in the paper who died in the hole, perhaps his actual physical body has reached the point of deluding the mind. Monks are known to go on fasts in order to cleanse the body and find inner piece...

And when you're near death, you panic, which then forced his mind to retreat to what it knew and felt comfortable in... his home... but then he found something else within himself... which is that bright light.

That was... brilliant in its own right... I don't know why but it was.

Oh, make sure you fix your heater.

cthulhu257:
Great story. Don't know why, but it reminded me of some of the HP Lovecraft stories I used to read. Especially how the cold never seems to go away.

Yeah, cold was a big thing with lovecraft. Mountains of Madness especially

What a beautiful piece of writing. Well done!

The mystery in that story is great. I mean, even I can't tell what exactly was going on, if it was a dream, or perhaps a supernatural event, or even just what it appeared to be. The cyclical nature of him reading the article and finding the hole under his bed was striking, and really stands out in my mind as one of the points that makes the story so open to interpretation. This is great stuff, and I for one would love to read more.

Very intense it really draws the reader in

xitel:
The mystery in that story is great. I mean, even I can't tell what exactly was going on, if it was a dream, or perhaps a supernatural event, or even just what it appeared to be. The cyclical nature of him reading the article and finding the hole under his bed was striking, and really stands out in my mind as one of the points that makes the story so open to interpretation. This is great stuff, and I for one would love to read more.

Exactly my thoughts. Quoting for emphasis.

... A little creepy to read at 2 in the morning.

Hmm a very surreal story. I cant help but feel that the ending was fake. In the sense that. This person probably did freeze into a withering state of mind, being only barely conscious of his surrounding. He could still feel the cold around him but he had mentally escaped into this place in which he felt warm and safe.

very nice story overall. Much nicer than the twilight fanfictions which my friend had been obsessive compulsively linking to me the past hour until i had no choice but to block her lol.

Write more, with a bit of practice, this stuff is stephen king material. ( Very dream catcher like )

Very poignient...

Well, that was strange. Very strange. But it's the good sort of strange.

I'm strongly reminded of this short (33-page) manga:

http://pics.livejournal.com/kc_anathema/pic/00ekpk9k/g177

this had purpose....or is this like the creation of some Lovecraftian mind?

I'm the original writer, just wanted to pop the head in and respond to a few things regarding the story. Also, thank you all for the great comments so far, i didn't expect it to be so well received.

bleachigo10:

Shangri La is a pretty specific thing, its not like heaven or nirvana, its literally heaven on earth, not paradise but A paradise.

deathbyBONK:
Good story. Not accusing the writer of anything but I seem to recall the whole "hole shaped like me" thing from some short horror manga...mystery of amigara fault or something like that.

Good read though, no real complaints.

baaba:
I'm strongly reminded of this short (33-page) manga:

http://pics.livejournal.com/kc_anathema/pic/00ekpk9k/g177

That short story by Junji Ito is something that has captivated me for a long time. It was published at the end of GYO along with another amazing short story called 'The sad tale of the principal post'. I can't deny the inspiration I've drawn from it and even while writing this i considered it my personal salute to Junji Ito.

I love short stories because their ominous foreshadowing is followed up very quickly. Keeps me from having to wait for days to find out.
With that said, this totally reminds me of ..well..the manga posted by Baaba. Yeah, I read that one too. But I guess that's been covered already.

Amazing...
I was alittle freaked out by it but still very very nice...

Disclaimer at end funny. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum.

If it's his aim to make people uncomfortable, he certainly succeeded with me as I had experiences I rather not think of atm. Great read and well done.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here